• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Languages

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Today I came across a problem with a foreign language that I do not speak and considered opening a thread about it here, but then I thought: Why not open a thread about all things concerning languages? As far as I know, we only have one about learning Japanese, but none about languages in general.

So, feel free to discuss whatever you want concerning languages here, for example:
What languages do you speak / understand / like / learn / want to learn?
Are you a native speaker of more than one language?
Do you think it's important to understand foreign languages, or are you entirely happy with your own?
Do you need help with something (such as homework for French class)?

I myself have learned quite a few languages in the course of my long, long life, but Russian isn't one of them, and I could use a little help. Is there anyone here who speaks Russian?

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Today I came across a problem with a foreign language that I do not speak and considered opening a thread about it here, but then I thought: Why not open a thread about all things concerning languages? As far as I know, we only have one about learning Japanese, but none about languages in general.

So, feel free to discuss whatever you want concerning languages here, for example:
What languages do you speak / understand / like / learn / want to learn?
Are you a native speaker of more than one language?
Do you think it's important to understand foreign languages, or are you entirely happy with your own?
Do you need help with something (such as homework for French class)?

I myself have learned quite a few languages in the course of my long, long life, but Russian isn't one of them, and I could use a little help. Is there anyone here who speaks Russian?
I have always been fascinated by languages, as English can often be boring and a drone.Whilst I only natively speak English, I've studied French, German and some Russian before an illness. It's funny as in conversation, I will switch between speaking English, French and German for some odd reason. I've always had a good understanding of French and German to the point that I know what someone else is saying yet don't know how to reply in that language. Having only studied Russian to a small extent, I can understand small phrases, most greetings and some exclamations.

The language I've always wanted to learn is Italian. Such a divine sound ever have I heard. On a cross-Europe trip last year, we spent about five or six of the fifteen days in Italy and I loved every second of listening to the Italians in Venice, Rome and Florence (or as I always call it Firenze). Again, I know a couple of phrases having listened to the Italians but not too much.

Personally, it's always better to have multiple languages under your belt. If you visit Russia, France, Germany, Italy or where-ever, it's always good to not appear an ignorant tourist and at least have a crack at them. The natives will appreciate it a great deal more than if you asked them in slowed down English: "Where----------------------is----------------------the--------------------stay-------------------------tion?" Plus, it's always a benefit for any job you may have. As I wish to go into corporate law and go overseas for six months during my training to Moscow, it would be wise for me to have a better understanding of their language, if not for the business side of things but more to interact with any friends you may make. In short, everyone should make an effort to have a go at a language.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
You're the first non-Italian person who tells me he likes the Italian language. To most people it sounds like Italians are constantly insulting and shouting at each other, and I've never heard anyone call it "beautiful" either. That's how it sounded to me too at first, but I discovered the beauty of the language when I learned it myself. You should give it a try if you have the chance, and it shouldn't be too hard for you if you already speak French. The grammar is very similar and the words are pretty much the same, just pronounced differently and with different suffixes.

Learning Spanish when you already speak Italian (or the other way around) is something else. Here, the words are not only similar, but unlike with French/Italian, they also sound very similar, which may seem like an advantage at first, but it really isn't. When I learned Spanish, I kept mixing it up and smuggling Italian words into my wannabe Spanish sentences without even realising it. They are just too similar.

Another language that is similar, but also very different at the same time, is Romanian. What's so interesting about it is that it uses elements from both Romanic and Slavic languages. Romanian is to me like Russian may be to you, I understand some of it, but I can't reply, and while it is my knowledge of the Italian language that helps me understand, it is the Polish and Russian people who turn around and give me funny looks when I use Romanian swearwords in public. (That I can do, curse and swear in Romanian.)

If I spent more time actually learning Romanian, I might have a better chance of learning Russian eventually (the operative word being "might", as I don't know how similar those languages really are in the end), but then I would have to learn their letters as well. Since you seem to have some experience, what is it like to learn a language that even uses different letters? Or are the letters the easiest part?

Popo

I speak Portuguese, English and Spanish(I can't write in Spanish though, I can read it, speak it, hear it, but not write it). I would also like to learn Japanese and Italian, Japanese because I have always loved the Japanese culture and have a dream of visiting or living in Japan, and Italian because I agree, it is a beautiful language, and it sounds specially sexy when it comes from a lady xD

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
You're the first non-Italian person who tells me he likes the Italian language. To most people it sounds like Italians are constantly insulting and shouting at each other, and I've never heard anyone call it "beautiful" either. That's how it sounded to me too at first, but I discovered the beauty of the language when I learned it myself. You should give it a try if you have the chance, and it shouldn't be too hard for you if you already speak French. The grammar is very similar and the words are pretty much the same, just pronounced differently and with different suffixes.

Learning Spanish when you already speak Italian (or the other way around) is something else. Here, the words are not only similar, but unlike with French/Italian, they also sound very similar, which may seem like an advantage at first, but it really isn't. When I learned Spanish, I kept mixing it up and smuggling Italian words into my wannabe Spanish sentences without even realising it. They are just too similar.

Another language that is similar, but also very different at the same time, is Romanian. What's so interesting about it is that it uses elements from both Romanic and Slavic languages. Romanian is to me like Russian may be to you, I understand some of it, but I can't reply, and while it is my knowledge of the Italian language that helps me understand, it is the Polish and Russian people who turn around and give me funny looks when I use Romanian swearwords in public. (That I can do, curse and swear in Romanian.)

If I spent more time actually learning Romanian, I might have a better chance of learning Russian eventually (the operative word being "might", as I don't know how similar those languages really are in the end), but then I would have to learn their letters as well. Since you seem to have some experience, what is it like to learn a language that even uses different letters? Or are the letters the easiest part?

Getting used to the Cyrillic alphabet takes some doing. The language itself (pronouncing the words specifically) is the easiest part. Having to adjust to writing effectively in symbols is quite difficult to get your head around. Sadly, I spent more time on the pronunciation than learning the alphabet so I suffered in that regard. As I know zero-Romanian, I sadly can't compare it. If you were to say Czech, then I'd say that Czech comes across as being easier (the Europe trip I was on spent two days in the Czech Republic; such a beautiful country) as it's similar to French how the language relies a lot on existing letters using accents et al.

Reactions: Hel

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I can speak Japanese, and I can read and write it using Hirigana and Katakana (The two simpler of their three alphabet systems), and English and Japanese is enough for me. I find English a very interesting language. I ouldn't ever find it boring. I was trying to to learn Latin at one point, and was doing fairly decent, before losing interest upon learning to play guitar XD

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The language itself (pronouncing the words specifically) is the easiest part.

Really? My voice must be too soft then. I never manage to sound nearly as threatening as a real Russian when I try to say words in their language.

I can speak Japanese, and I can read and write it using Hirigana and Katakana (The two simpler of their three alphabet systems)

Wait wait wait... Are you saying that, besides an alphabet with a quadrillion of signs because they prefer to inconveniently write in syllables rather than using normal letters, there's also three versions of it? Japanese people love to make everything complicated, don't they?

Well, now I know why Capcom have a thing for exclusivity. They want to fight the system, and releasing their games on three different platforms reminds them too much of having to learn three different alphabets...

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
I'm from S. Korea and I'm trying to learn and become fluent in English as fast as possible. I'm studying like 50 new words a day... It's really hard for me to learn it. :( Any tips how to learn it faster :/?
I have feeling like I'll never understand English very well. I also tried to learn Russian but it was way hard for me, I took about 20 words a day then one day I lost interests and I stopped. And that's when I said "I must become fluent in English, no matter what.."

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Honestly, I've heard a couple of different teachers say the FASTEST way to learn a new language, would be to watch a TV show you're very familiar with in your native language, then watch it over and over in the language you would like to learn as well...I've personally never tried it, but it's an interesting Idea.

Really? My voice must be too soft then. I never manage to sound nearly as threatening as a real Russian when I try to say words in their language.

Wait wait wait... Are you saying that, besides an alphabet with a quadrillion of signs because they prefer to inconveniently write in syllables rather than using normal letters, there's also three versions of it? Japanese people love to make everything complicated, don't they?

Well, now I know why Capcom have a thing for exclusivity. They want to fight the system, and releasing their games on three different platforms reminds them too much of having to learn three different alphabets...
Yeah, three alphabets. The one that is most commonly known to the world is Kanji, but that's the hardest and has the most characters. Katakana and Hirigana are MUCH simpler, and while not as pretty to look at, far faster to learn to read...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Yes, Kanji is the one I've heard of. But if that has the "most characters", it means the other two have less, so what do you do with them if you encounter a syllable they don't have a character for?

Honestly, I've heard a couple of different teachers say the FASTEST way to learn a new language, would be to watch a TV show you're very familiar with in your native language, then watch it over and over in the language you would like to learn as well...I've personally never tried it, but it's an interesting Idea.

Yeah... And once I'm done with that, I might be familiar with the language, but I'm probably sick of my favourite TV show... But I know what you mean, I actually did remember a few words by watching Hell Girl in Japanese (because I had to; the second and third seasons don't have English dubs), but I'm not all too much into that language to be honest. Maybe it's the way too high, way too cute voices that annoy me, though, rather than the language itself.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
Yeah, It really interest idea. Especially if you know all the dialogs

Evil Yuna

"I will live without...false hope."
I am portuguese and therefore is my mother language portuguese.I understand a lot of spanish (Portugal and Spain are right beside each other)and german ( cause i live currently in Germany).There´s a few languages that i´d like to learn,such as: Russian,japonese and cantonese/mandarin ( wishfull thinking... oh well,i´l be able to learn a few words if i´m lucky).And there´s another language that i started learning in school besides english,that was french.I could have learned a lot more if the teacher had be willing to teach...
It looks like nothing to some of you, but the way a teacher presents things to students is very important.They have to be the least passionate about what they teach and pass it on to their students.

You're the first non-Italian person who tells me he likes the Italian language. To most people it sounds like Italians are constantly insulting and shouting at each other, and I've never heard anyone call it "beautiful" either. That's how it sounded to me too at first, but I discovered the beauty of the language when I learned it myself.

That´s what everyone says about every language that´s strange to them and wich they don´t know nothing about.Everyone says that about german as well and i don´t agree. Ever tried to learn portuguese? =P (the european portuguese,nnot the brazillian portuguese).It´s not any different from spanish and italian.Some words are very similar.
Personally i think italian sounds just cute.It´s like they are singing . =P

Last edited by a moderator:

bruno

Chief Researcher
I'm fluent in portuguese and english, and I speak some spanish and french. I know some words of cantonese, but I don't know any characters, so I can't read.
I'd like to learn german and russian, because they seem interesting and may be very useful.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yes, Kanji is the one I've heard of. But if that has the "most characters", it means the other two have less, so what do you do with them if you encounter a syllable they don't have a character for?

Yeah... And once I'm done with that, I might be familiar with the language, but I'm probably sick of my favourite TV show... But I know what you mean, I actually did remember a few words by watching Hell Girl in Japanese (because I had to; the second and third seasons don't have English dubs), but I'm not all too much into that language to be honest. Maybe it's the way too high, way too cute voices that annoy me, though, rather than the language itself.
Well, Kanji are symbols that mean full words typically, while Katakana and Hirigana are sylables that makes up words. So basically, if could take 3 or 4 Hirigana characters to make what ONE Kanji character could make.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It looks like nothing to some of you, but the way a teacher presents things to students is very important.They have to be the least passionate about what they teach and pass it on to their students.

A decent teacher is extremely important. My first French teacher was a good-for-nothing. Instead of telling us something about France and actually speaking French, he would constantly annoy us with everyday stories of his wife knitting him pullovers and his daughter being fascinated with trains, and in the end I knew more about his private life than the language I was supposed to learn. When our course was taken over by a younger, more demanding teacher, she was shocked at how little we could say in French, but quickly brought us up to date, and that's when I became the best student in my course.

That´s what everyone says about every language that´s strange to them and wich they don´t know nothing about.Everyone says that about german as well and i don´t agree. Ever tried to learn portuguese? =P (the european portuguese,nnot the brazillian portuguese).It´s not any different from spanish and italian.Some words are very similar.
Personally i think italian sounds just cute.It´s like they are singing . =P

Actually, no. I can only speak for myself, but not every language I don't know sounds aggressive to my ears (except Russian and similar Slavic languages). What I'm going to say next isn't supposed to insult anyone, but it may sound offensive to people who like to take offence at everything, so be warned.
Spanish used to sound to me like drunk Italian and still does, Japanese sounds like toddlers speaking in their own made-up language, Chinese sounds like lustful moaning, French is a mixture of that and being in pain, and Dutch sounds like you can't decide whether you want to speak English or German. If I were to sort English native speakers into social groups, I'd say the British are the aristocrats, Scots are the ghetto gangsters and Americans are somewhere in between. Can't say anything about Portuguese because I never paid attention to it.

Well, Kanji are symbols that mean full words typically, while Katakana and Hirigana are sylables that makes up words. So basically, if could take 3 or 4 Hirigana characters to make what ONE Kanji character could make.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any more inconvenient...

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I've been trying to learn French for god knows how long and I'm still not very good haha! I probably know enough French that I could go over there and survive, but I think the main reason I can't get the hang of it very well is that I don't even know the basics of English. In English class we were taught how to read and write etc. with some basics like verbs and nouns, but I didn't even know what a conjugate verb was until last year and I still don't really know what an infinitive is. So, for now I think it's best that I learn more about English grammar and hopefully that'll help me out with my French grammar later on.
I can do a pretty good French accent so that's not really a problem for me at all, I can usually look at a word and guess how it needs to be pronounced, I just need for what I'm saying to make sense!

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I speak English, I can speak very basic French and a few sentences of Spanish. Sometimes I think that English people can be pretty lazy in that they know that their language is the most commonly spoken (in terms of the number of countries that use that language) and so they don't have to learn any others. It might just be the English government that make it that way and people are used to it. I do think that in England children should learn a second language in their first school. Languages are often introduced in secondary school, when kids are becoming teenagers in England. As far as I've seen, the majority can't be bothered with it when they're teenagers. I realise this might be a bit of a generalisation, but it's what I've personally noticed. Maybe I just think that people should learn languages in school because I personally enjoy learning a new language. I just don't often have the time.

Last edited:

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I speak English and I know some basic phrases in Spanish and French. And very much would like to learn Japanese, though I have yet found the time to do so.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I speak English, I can speak very basic French and a few sentences of Spanish. Sometimes I think that English people can be pretty lazy in that they know that their language is the most commonly spoken (in terms of the number of countries that use that language) and so they don't have to learn any others. It might just be the English government that make it that way and people are used to it. I do think that in England children should learn a second language in their first school. Languages are often introduced in secondary school, when kids are becoming teenagers in England. As far as I've seen, the majority can't be bothered with it when they're teenagers. I realise this might be a bit of a generalisation, but it's what I've personally noticed. Maybe I just think that people should learn languages in school because I personally enjoy learning a new language. I just don't often have the time.
I don't think one should be FORCED to learn a language. A choice is cool, but that's all it should be. There are MANY people who will, in their life, have absolutely NO need for a second language, and if that happens, then schooling was just wasted when it could be teaching students something that would be relevant later in life. That said, there are careers that do need it, but those that embark on said careers are the ones that are ever dedicated, and DID take the classes when given the option.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
There are MANY people who will, in their life, have absolutely NO need for a second language, and if that happens, then schooling was just wasted when it could be teaching students something that would be relevant later in life.

You forgot to add "English". Many English people in English-speaking countries may never need a second language, but everywhere else you should really learn English or else life will be difficult. (Unless you work as a sanitation worker, but then you don't need much in the way of education anyway.)

But don't even get me started on the school system. School teaches you so many useless things while leaving out the important stuff. Around here you don't learn how to run a household, operate a computer, make a tax declaration, etc., but instead you learn how to calculate the volume of an unnecessarily complicated object that doesn't even exist in real life, things you will never be asked to do again once you leave school for good, unless you become an engineer or something, in which case you learn it in your training anyway. I'd say a second language is still more useful than that.

Top Bottom