• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Does the story differe depending on which mode you play on?

T Dot

Im starting to think it does Ive been noticing that the easy version differs from normal as some areas arnt on the easy version but seem to be on the normal... am I right? I really dont know :s

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
If you play through a second time you may find things you missed during your first play through. I dont think the story changes, there are no differnet paths in the game I know that for sure, Ive beat the game enough times on each difficulty to know its all the same game.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
The story itself doesnt change, but there are a few shortcuts on the easiest mode. The one i can think of at the mo is, the castle segment, in which you have go into that round tower and and shoot the pieces of wood jamming the cogs to get across a bridge, well thats all done for you on easy and you can completely miss the cog tower

bruno

Chief Researcher
Also, in easy mode, you skip the garden/maze area, and the door leading to the room where Leon first meets Ada is already open.
The story is exactly the same, you only skip some gameplay segments, but it doesn't change things much.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Some parts are skipped on easy mode? I didn't know. If easy mode just could skip the part where Ashley is rescued... then I'd be tempted to try easy mode. :D

bruno

Chief Researcher
Nah, it's just a couple of segments in which Leon is alone. You still have to rescue Ashley...
I don't know if you've seen the ending yet, but there's a part in it that'll make you happy... for some seconds though.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I have not seen the ending yet. That happy moment, is it in both easy and normal mode? (Don't spoil it.)

bruno

Chief Researcher
Yes, it's in every mode. It's not really a "happy" moment, but you'll wish it'd stay like that (poor Leon though).

Dos

I'm new here and I know this is a little old but hey..

Four areas are playable in normal and professional mode only-

1. Chapter 3-1- The area through the door to the left of the castle gate where you have to fight multiple zealots to get the castle gate key (behind which you first meet Salazar). In easy mode this castle gate is unlocked and the door to the left is locked.

2. Chapter 3-2- The maze with the Colmillos where you have to find the moon isnignia to unlock the door to where you first see Ada. In easy this door is already open and the maze area is blocked off. The Colmillios are nowhere to be seen either.

3. Chapter 4-1- The King's grail area where you fight the Armaduras. In easy mode that area is sealed off and the King's grail is already put in place (to unlock the door to lead towards the Novistador nest and the clock tower).

4.Chapter 4-1- The clocktower is sealed off and you simply have to pull a lever to move the bridge. Not only this, but no zealots or catapults bother you, either before or after you have moved the bridge. This means around 30 less enemies just in this one part of the game.

Of course, other significant differences are:

-The reduced amounts of damage enemies will take in general
-Far less enemies sprout a Plaga when killed than in normal or professional

There are far less enemies in general on easy mode (around 250-300 fewer over the 19 stages of the game I believe). Areas where will you especially notice a big reduction in the amount of enemies on easy are-

*The initial village fight. And the farm straight after the village.

*The cabin fight Ch. 2-2 (you have to kill around 30 on easy mode, compared to 40-45 on normal and pro)

*The water room in the castle, Chapter 3-1

*The first fight with Novistadors in the sewer, Chapter 3-2

*Garrador cage, chapter 3-3. On normal and pro those zealots just keep on jumping down as long as the Garrador is alive

*Lava dragon room, Chapter 4-1

*Second fight with the Novistadors below their nest, Chapter 4-1

*Clocktower, Chapter 4-1 (as already mentioned, none appear at all)

*Room with two Garradors, Chapter 4-1 (not only is there only one Garrador on easy, but no zealots apart from the three already present have to be fought, whereas on normal and pro they keep spawning as long
as the Garradors are alive- makes it SO much harder to be quiet!)

*The final fight with Novistadors in Chapter 4-2...there are way less in easy mode, in normal and pro they just seem to never stop.

*The minecart ride and mine area immediately before it, Chapter 4-3.

Chapter 4-1 is especially watered down, not only with two less stages to complete and around 50 less enemies all up, but with only one Garrador in that room as well! This is significant because in my opinion, with the possible exception of Chapter 5-1 and 5-2, Chapter 4-1 on pro is just about the toughest chapter in the game...

Finally, from what I've seen some creatures are significantly less mobile on easy- for example, the first Novistadors in the sewer barely ever walk on the walls, whereas in normal and pro they do it at will.

And who could forget that on pro all Regenerators, and not just the Iron Maidens, have a Plaga parasite on their backs!

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Good post with alot of info, Dos. :) (But feel free to delete the double. :p)

Dos;63782 said:
Of course, other significant differences are:

-The reduced amounts of damage enemies will take in general
You mean the enemies will deal reduced amounts of damage on Easy mode? Or do you mean Leon will take reduced amount of damage?

There are far less enemies in general on easy mode (around 250-300 fewer over the 19 stages of the game I believe). Areas where will you especially notice a big reduction in the amount of enemies on easy are-

*The initial village fight. And the farm straight after the village.

*Garrador cage, chapter 3-3. On normal and pro those zealots just keep on jumping down as long as the Garrador is alive

*Room with two Garradors, Chapter 4-1 (not only is there only one Garrador on easy, but no zealots apart from the three already present have to be fought, whereas on normal and pro they keep spawning as long
as the Garradors are alive- makes it SO much harder to be quiet!)
Whoa, 250-300 less?! :eek:
That means less money earned, A LOT less money earned.

@ The farm after the village:
There are very few enemies on normal mode, a big reduction in the amount of enemies means there can't be much more than 1 enemy left!

@ Garrador cage, chapter 3-3:
On normal mode, there is only a limited amount of zealots dropping down in the cage. Even if the garrador is the last enemy you kill there, there will not be more than 10 zealots in total in that area.
I have tested this area alot, and I did get the full amount of enemies because I never died (if I die, I reload instead of retry).

@ Room with two Garradors, Chapter 4-1:
If you avoid spawning more zealots, you only have to kill the first two zealots before you kill the garradors. More zealots will spawn when you walk up the steps, so don't do that. Stay at the lowest level and shoot the garradors in their back. I found these garradors to be less vigilant than previous garradors. This area is easy on normal mode at least.

Dos

Yeah sorry about the double post. I'm actually not sure how to delete it...I did try to but couldn't find the delete button?

By the reduced damage comment, I meant both that the enemies' attacks will damage Leon less in easy mode, and additionally that the enemies have less health points of their own before they die, and are therefore a lot easier to kill.

Yeah, I believe it to be around 250 less enemies. The most enemies I have ever killed on an easy walkthrough is 908. And that was even wth doing things like taking both of the two routes in the village, taking both routes back to the church from the lake, shooting the church bell to attract more ganados to attack me. I back tracked several times to kill enemies that spawn in areas that I had already been through. The only thing I didn't do was stand on the floor during the Salazar fight so that the spider Plagas didn't keep spawning, and they will spawn all day if you stay down there! On normal and pro I have killed around 1150, in contrast.

@the farm question in Ch 1-1...yeah maybe I shouldn't have put that there...on easy from memory there are only five villagers in the whole area..compared to maybe seven on normal and pro?

@Garrador cage Ch 3-3...on easy no zealots drop from the ceiling into the cage at all..so apart from the Garrador there are only the four zealots that wait outside the cage.

@Two garradors room Ch 4-1...You're quite right, that is something I forget frequently- about them only spawning on normal and pro if you walk up the stairs. Nevertheless, on easy they don't spawn regardless of where you go!

Just returning to that 250 figure...it isn't as surprising if you have the time and are lame enough (like me) to break down the game a bit and think of the difference in number of enemies on easy compared to normal and pro...Of course these are rough estimates

Chapter 1-1= Around eight less enemies
Chapter 1-2= Around five less enemies
Chapter 1-3= Around five less enemies
18 so far
Chapter 2-1= Around five less enemies
Chapter 2-2= Around fifteen less enemies
Chapter 2-3= Around five less
43 less so far

Chapter 3-1= Around 30 less (considering that not only is there one stage in 3-1 that doesn't exist at all on eays mode, but also considerably less zealots attack you in the water room)
Chapter 3-2= Around 25 less (less Novistadors, less Zealots and no Colmillo maze at all)
Chapter 3-3= Around 15 less
Chapter 3-4= Three less zealots come down and try and snatch Ashley while Leon is sniping from above
116 less so far

Chapter 4-1= Around 50 less (ten or so less in the lava dragon room, the six Armaduras cannot be fought at all on easy as the area is sealed off, three or four less Novistadors, around 25 less inside and outside the clocktower, and four or so in the two Garradors room...totals 50 or thereabouts)
Chapter 4-2= Around 15 less
Chapter 4-3= Around 15 less
Chapter 4-4= Not much of a difference here, I'm going to guess eight less at most.
204 less

Chapter 5-1= Around 10 less
Chapter 5-2= Around 10 less
Chapter 5-3= Hardly any difference at all, because 5-3 is basically two huge boss fights with a few silly soldiers and a few of those flying machine guns that Krauser uses thrown in...There aren't any more soliders from what I remember but there are a couple more flying things on normal and professional...so I'm going to guess maybe two less on easy for 5-3.

Chapter 5-4= Around 10 less (in the first and second military area, before the final Regenerator...the military area after that Regenerator doesn't have any less soliders on easy from what I've seen.)

So my estimates total 236 less...so maybe not quite the 250-300 I said previously but still, a very significant difference.

On easy in Chapter 4-1 you will only be able to total around 30-32 kills...on normal and professional this figure rises to around the 80 mark. On normal and pro, Chapter 4-1 is potentially an extremely long and taxing one, and you can waste a lot of ammo, time and resources because it is just so long and has many tough enemies. On easy, on the other hand, it's not at all challenging....not having to fight the Armaduras is a lot easier, and likewise for skipping the whole clocktower section...and with only one Garrador being in that room too...

I actually think they went way too far in just how much they watered down 4-1...it's almost in the middle of the game and on normal and pro, getting through it while managing your resources for the rest of the game can be a real challenge, and what makes it enjoyable. On easy, it's just another ordinary chapter, with one hard boss at the end. In other words, compared to what it is on normal and pro, on easy mode 4-1 is just TOO easy.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;63877 said:
Yeah sorry about the double post. I'm actually not sure how to delete it...I did try to but couldn't find the delete button?
There shouold be an option to delete it when you edit it (go into advanced mode), but maybe you can't delete it when there has been replies. But you can still edit the double and cut it down so it won't take as much space.

@the farm question in Ch 1-1...yeah maybe I shouldn't have put that there...on easy from memory there are only five villagers in the whole area..compared to maybe seven on normal and pro?
On normal it is five ganados on chapter 1-1 The Farm, and 7 ganados on 2-2 The Farm part 2.

Just returning to that 250 figure...it isn't as surprising if you have the time and are lame enough (like me) to break down the game a bit and think of the difference in number of enemies on easy compared to normal and pro...Of course these are rough estimates
Good work!

On easy in Chapter 4-1 you will only be able to total around 30-32 kills...on normal and professional this figure rises to around the 80 mark. On normal and pro, Chapter 4-1 is potentially an extremely long and taxing one, and you can waste a lot of ammo, time and resources because it is just so long and has many tough enemies.
On chapter 4-1 I scored 1018 kills. I agree that it was a long b*tch of a chapter....

on easy mode 4-1 is just TOO easy.
It sounds so. But 236 less enemies, most of them easy ones, will hurt your economy. If we assume that each enemy drops 600 pesetas on average, 236 x 600 = 141600 ptas.

Dos

Perhaps I was getting confused between the farm part in Chapter 1-1 and Chapter 2-2 then!

You scored 1018 kills on Chapter 4-1? I'm going to assume that was a typo and you meant 101 possibly?! :p

There is one less Gold Bangle in easy mode, the one dropped by the head zealot on the bridge after you've been in the clocktower. Overall you probably find almost 200000 less ptas in easy mode...but I guess that's a good thing in a sense because if there was the same amount of money as in normal and pro, you'd be able to upgrade your weapons even quicker than you already can, and easy would become even easier!

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;63998 said:
Perhaps I was getting confused between the farm part in Chapter 1-1 and Chapter 2-2 then!
Perhaps. But you can always blame it on the darkness! :p

You scored 1018 kills on Chapter 4-1? I'm going to assume that was a typo and you meant 101 possibly?! :p
Yes it was wrong, I need to check it up again before I can give you the correct number.

if there was the same amount of money as in normal and pro, you'd be able to upgrade your weapons even quicker than you already can, and easy would become even easier!
This means upgrades are cheaper on easy mode?

Dos

No, upgrades aren't any cheaper on easy mode, but because the enemies don't deal as much damage if they land an attack on Leon, you are less likely to ever need to buy first aid sprays (which cost 5000 a pop, they aren't cheap), and therefore generally you will have more money for upgrading weapons than you do in normal or professional.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
If that is true depends on how you play, if you upgrade your weapons at the moment the upgrades becomes available on normal mode, having more money on easy mode would not let you upgrade faster.

I'm thinking that if I am going to upgrade a weapon later, I better do it right now if I can. Because that is preserving ammo which can be sold or used.

On normal mode you won't have to use the First Aid Sprays anyway. I sell them because I've been told that using them will reduce your final score. I sell most of the red herbs too because my biggest headache is usually a full attache case.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
You have to select difficulty when you start a new game! You must have seen it, I guess you have just forgotten. ;)

Top Bottom