• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cultural discussion

sadistic_greyfox

Going back to the cultural discussion, I wasn't born Up here in the States. Migrated up here in 2000 and at the time (I was 12) I loved the thought of living up here since all kids saw on tv in Trinidad was American TV shows. First few years up here though was less than awesome, it sucked for me hardcore but that's a long story. As someone who wasn't born here I absolutely love America, but not for the government but for all the people I got to know, befriend, had a relationship with, all then opportunities there was here. The Government is terrible, yeah, but that's the truth for almost all government. There's alot of other countries who unjustly hate Americans, they dont know consider that usually the most vocal ones here are the assholes who misrepresent The U.S.. the reg people are the same everywhere.

Reactions: svp

JMG29

To Let The World Be
Regarding Economic systems, Imo whether we are Capitalistic or Communist the 2 systems don't differ very much.
One is all about the voluntary interactions among individuals.
The other is all about coercion in the name of "the people" (ie the planners acting as the will of the people.)
I don't see how they're related.
The root of both system underlies Monetary Policy. The Monetary system is the use of credit/money to exhange goods and services. They both practically use all the same methods of operation but in a different way. Its comparing Breast Cancer to Lung Cancer, they differ a little but it is an outgrowth of the same disease.
Central banking is a Communist disease (Marx's fifth plank, in fact) that's infected Capitalism, not something Capitalism came bundled with.
Under a free-market, people tend to lean towards gold and silver as their medium of exchange once the economy becomes advanced enough. They both have a fixed exchange rate, which makes them practically immune to inflation, and best of all, governments can't try to artificially expand the amount of gold/silver to pay for things they normally could never afford.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I've never been to America and I'm not likely to ever do some sort of nationwide tour any time in the foreseeable future so any observations I may make about the nation as a whole are going to be derived from a combination of the people I have met from various states and what the media tells me.

Based on what my friends and acquaintances are like, I'd say it seems like a friendly place to go and mostly very passionate about things like politics, patriotism and success in one form or another.

Based on the media, it would appear that it attracts intergalactic attention a great deal and at least one of your presidents was a former fighter pilot. Bill Pullman was one of your presidents, right?

svp

I've never been to America and I'm not likely to ever do some sort of nationwide tour any time in the foreseeable future so any observations I may make about the nation as a whole are going to be derived from a combination of the people I have met from various states and what the media tells me.

Based on what my friends and acquaintances are like, I'd say it seems like a friendly place to go and mostly very passionate about things like politics, patriotism and success in one form or another.

Based on the media, it would appear that it attracts intergalactic attention a great deal and at least one of your presidents was a former fighter pilot. Bill Pullman was one of your presidents, right?
yes that is true, what country are you from? how do you feel about living there?

Going back to the cultural discussion, I wasn't born Up here in the States. Migrated up here in 2000 and at the time (I was 12) I loved the thought of living up here since all kids saw on tv in Trinidad was American TV shows. First few years up here though was less than awesome, it sucked for me hardcore but that's a long story. As someone who wasn't born here I absolutely love America, but not for the government but for all the people I got to know, befriend, had a relationship with, all then opportunities there was here. The Government is terrible, yeah, but that's the truth for almost all government. There's alot of other countries who unjustly hate Americans, they dont know consider that usually the most vocal ones here are the assholes who misrepresent The U.S.. the reg people are the same everywhere.
thanks for getting things back on topic, I know our gov is crappy but we try to stay patriotic and do our best to protect other nations even if we get over our heads in debt lol. I am happy you like America, I think if everyone realizes that in order to get opportunities in this country, you have to work hard to create them. America is only as desirable as one makes it. how is Trinidad different? do you recommend Americans to travel there? I have never been

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I'm from the UK - the place where every single person knows the Queen on a personal level (and yes, I've met more than a few people who think people in England are on first-name terms with Her Majesty)

svp

I'm from the UK - the place where every single person knows the Queen on a personal level (and yes, I've met more than a few people who think people in England are on first-name terms with Her Majesty)
hahaha that is great, I hope you invite me over Buckingham palace for a spot of tea and some scones.(sarcasm) I am from the country where everyone thinks we are fat/stupid, knows a celebrity, is egocentric, listens to country music, shops at the Walmart, and smokes weed/ skateboards everyday......I think you can guess it. :) But I love England, besides the revolution..you guys helped us out through all our s***. I hope to visit there.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I have no respect for my country besides the fact that I live in it. It's not like you're given a choice of where you're born. I understand the people fighting and willing to die for this country, and I respect that, but not the idiot masses complaining any time a single thing happens here. I'll support the country when regular citizens start realizing America isn't the only thing that matters. If they can realize that if they stood up and acted they could save more than just themself.
But here I think you're wrong...Our problem is we are too busy trying to do stuff for OTHER countries, even if there is something we can gain from it, but we are too busy with them we won't help ourselves...We are too busy cleaning up Africa, and PB oil spills and other lame sh*t when we should be focusing on the poverty, economic crisis, adoptions, and other stuff going on in OUR OWN country before we reach out to others...I understand that as a global superpower country we need to help other nations...But in the weakened state we are in, which it's no secret that we ARE in one, we need to focus on OURSELVES first...Civilian AND Gov't.

I'

Independence Day reference FTW!!!

Doublepost fixed.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
I love Americans. Most Americans.
Like everything, there's good and bad Americans. Seeing as my family and I have been going back and forth between London (my home... HATE IT) and Florida, where we have our own house, since I was about 3 (or somewhere thereabouts), I think I have a decent understanding of Americans. The majority of Yanks I've met are genuinely nice people. The many I met last summer were genuinely helpful to my mum, who sadly had to spend most of it in a wheelchair due to a DVT and blood clot ridden leg.
At Publix, you even get a guy who carries (or wheels) your stuff to your car. Never have I been into ASDA or Marks and Spencer and got that quality of service.
Elderly Americans are possibly some of the nicest people I have ever met. I remember one very vividly (Bill, he suffered from cataracts sadly) who asked us how we were and he said to me "look after your mother. Give her a hug several times a day, every day. She might need the support of everyone in your family one day". He was right. We would need to support her heavily.
This is just all from my experiences of Florida. I've only stayed in New York for about 3/4 of a day (mostly in JFK) and no other state, so it might be different everywhere else.
I don't take any notice of the stereotypes, if I'm honest. I hate stereotyping people- yes, Florida has a huge obesity problem like much of the US, sadly, but not every single American weighs over 30 stone, 20 stone or even 15.

hahaha that is great, I hope you invite me over Buckingham palace for a spot of tea and some scones.(sarcasm) I am from the country where everyone thinks we are fat/stupid, knows a celebrity, is egocentric, listens to country music, shops at the Walmart, and smokes weed/ skateboards everyday......I think you can guess it. :) But I love England, besides the revolution..you guys helped us out through all our s***. I hope to visit there.
Some tips if you ever venture this side of the pond:
1) Don't say you're a Man United fan
2) Don't call football soccer.
3) Don't go to Bermondsey
4) Don't believe that we all travel via umbrellas.
5) Don't try and get the Royal Grenadiers attention at Buckingham Palace. It's futile.
6) Don't mention the War of Independence.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Like everything, there's good and bad Americans. Seeing as my family and I have been going back and forth between London (my home... HATE IT) and Florida, where we have our own house, since I was about 3 (or somewhere thereabouts), I think I have a decent understanding of Americans. The majority of Yanks I've met are genuinely nice people. The many I met last summer were genuinely helpful to my mum, who sadly had to spend most of it in a wheelchair due to a DVT and blood clot ridden leg.
At Publix, you even get a guy who carries (or wheels) your stuff to your car. Never have I been into ASDA or Marks and Spencer and got that quality of service.
Elderly Americans are possibly some of the nicest people I have ever met. I remember one very vividly (Bill, he suffered from cataracts sadly) who asked us how we were and he said to me "look after your mother. Give her a hug several times a day, every day. She might need the support of everyone in your family one day". He was right. We would need to support her heavily.
This is just all from my experiences of Florida. I've only stayed in New York for about 3/4 of a day (mostly in JFK) and no other state, so it might be different everywhere else.
I don't take any notice of the stereotypes, if I'm honest. I hate stereotyping people- yes, Florida has a huge obesity problem like much of the US, sadly, but not every single American weighs over 30 stone, 20 stone or even 15.

5) Don't try and get the Royal Grenadiers attention at Buckingham Palace. It's futile.
Lol...I can agree with ALL of these except the first...Why not a Manchester United fan? They're a decent team...Not the best by a long shot, but decent...

L

Lurker
But here I think you're wrong...Our problem is we are too busy trying to do stuff for OTHER countries, even if there is something we can gain from it, but we are too busy with them we won't help ourselves...We are too busy cleaning up Africa, and PB oil spills and other lame sh*t when we should be focusing on the poverty, economic crisis, adoptions, and other stuff going on in OUR OWN country before we reach out to others...I understand that as a global superpower country we need to help other nations...But in the weakened state we are in, which it's no secret that we ARE in one, we need to focus on OURSELVES first...Civilian AND Gov't.
And what does it help that we get nuked for being so self centered? That will only make other countries happy. We need a bigger amount of citizens to stand up for countries that can't do the things that you're saying we should do.

svp

very true my friend :D

very true my friend :D

haha I am happy to hear you like us Americans, from what I hear in the media, most don't appreciate us. so you have a house in Florida, where? my grandfather is an ex war vet and he lives in Ft. Myers. its a great place, yeah there are funny southern people and obese but thats what gives it it's personality. I also have many friends down there and I visit a lot. I guess its a breath air from vacationing in Spain, I hear you people of the UK do that a lot. And yes we do have very nice elderly people. If you ever run into my grandpa you will know it. he wears a B17 hat and a plaid shirt every day. and he is the funniest guy you will ever meet. that is very nice of you to put time and effort in caring for your mom. I hope she is doing better, It is rare to find kind hearted people in this world who actually take care of others. If one person put down the TV remote and put time and effort in another persons life the world would be better. I strongly suggest visiting NYC, I am from there and it is one of the best cities in the US. no bias. lol just never wear a red socks hat there! and yes you can get all the American chicks by swooning them with your accent....fact :D I am glad you gave me some pointers on traveling to England. I also strongly suggest that you travel to New England to compare the differences lol. it is very pretty in the fall with all of the colored leaves.

Mod edit: Triplepost fixed. Please don't triple.

JMG29

To Let The World Be
thanks for getting things back on topic
It never went off-topic.
I know our gov is crappy but we try to stay patriotic and do our best to protect other nations even if we get over our heads in debt lol.
When the average citizen gets into debt, they have their house repossessed and hopelessly cry in front of their children.
When the government gets into debt, it's called "helping other nations/the poor/American business."

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
Are we still talking Culture......

Well, where i come from a picture speaks a thousand words... so, here is my idea of culture.

Maserati_wheels.jpg

Class...brilliance...genius...fearfully made...

The Maserati is what mans soul looks like on a good day.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
And what does it help that we get nuked for being so self centered? That will only make other countries happy. We need a bigger amount of citizens to stand up for countries that can't do the things that you're saying we should do.
...How does a bigger ammount of citizens help if they're all born into proverty...We need to make sure the citizens we have NOW are in primo condition to help other countries...and right now, we aren't...Fact...And we wouldn't get nuked...NATO, as well as various other organizations the US is a part of, would keep that from happening...There are other world powers that can help out the smaller defenselss countries while we get back on our feet...The UK for example, has JUST as much, if not MORE military might than us...And as our closest ally, they can easily take over while get back on the horse...

L

Lurker
...How does a bigger ammount of citizens help if they're all born into proverty...We need to make sure the citizens we have NOW are in primo condition to help other countries...and right now, we aren't...Fact...And we wouldn't get nuked...NATO, as well as various other organizations the US is a part of, would keep that from happening...There are other world powers that can help out the smaller defenselss countries while we get back on our feet...The UK for example, has JUST as much, if not MORE military might than us...And as our closest ally, they can easily take over while get back on the horse...
So you're saying we should just let them die? We have the most powerful military in the world, and that is fact. We don't need a military to get more money. We can keep them stationed out there while the government gets things back. If we recall the military, so many people would be out of a job. Is that a solution?

svp

It never went off-topic.
When the average citizen gets into debt, they have their house repossessed and hopelessly cry in front of their children.
When the government gets into debt, it's called "helping other nations/the poor/American business."
why you trying to nit-pick everything I say man? who said it was about you? I am just trying to have a normal cultural discussion on what people from other nations think of America. I don't need some Bill Maher/anti America know it all trying to pick fights with me. I'm tired of writing paragraphs on useless crap. lets agree to disagree man. I don't mean to have any trouble, I like friendly debates but I don't feel the need to talk politics on a game website. :)

Are we still talking Culture......

Well, where i come from a picture speaks a thousand words... so, here is my idea of culture.

Maserati_wheels.jpg

Class...brilliance...genius...fearfully made...

The Maserati is what mans soul looks like on a good day.
now that is a sexy car, could be an ugly toad and still get any girl I want in that thing

Merged.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So you're saying we should just let them die? We have the most powerful military in the world, and that is fact. We don't need a military to get more money. We can keep them stationed out there while the government gets things back. If we recall the military, so many people would be out of a job. Is that a solution?
No I don't think we should let them die...But we shouldn't have to die either...And we can't effectively save them without being strong ourselves...Which we're not...Not right now...And we need to save as many as we can...In our weakened state we can't...So if a few must die to save the lives of many, then yes...We should let them die...Not be happy about it...And we shouldn't ever use that logic unless it's a last resort...But for now, it's all we've got...Sorry dude...But you have to face facts sometime...And it's a fact that we are at one of the weakest points we've been in in the history of our nation...And it's common knowledge that to be effective you have to be in primo condition...We aren't...Yet...We'll get back in the game though...

JMG29

To Let The World Be
why you trying to nit-pick everything I say man?
Two people in this thread said this thread somehow got off-topic. I would like to understand how.
I'd also like to understand how I'm nitpicking.
who said it was about you?
The fact that my posts were the only ones that can be interpreted as off-topic, even though I believe that they aren't.
I am just trying to have a normal cultural discussion on what people from other nations think of America.
So am I. I was making a Poe's Law reply to another member about America's foreign policy (I was agreeing with him.) Then L replied and brought up the comparison between nuking Japan and 9/11, and I replied again in the same manner.
Then you were all "OMG LEAVE AMERICA ALONE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT SHES BEEN THROUGH" and that's how our little debate started. I wasn't picking any fights. YOU replied to me, even if you didn't quote me (L didn't say anything about blaming FDR for Pearl Harbor. I kind of said something similar so I assumed you were talking to me.)
I don't need some Bill Maher/anti America know it all trying to pick fights with me.
I don't watch Bill Maher. From what I've seen of him, he's just a less funny version of Jon Stewart.

And lol@anti-America. Yeah, I'm anti-American for pointing out the many times the government has broken The Constitution (you know, that little piece of paper that served as the basis for this entire country?) and for believing in George Washington's foreign policy of not getting tangled up in other country's affairs.

George Washington said:
Our detached and distant situation invites and enables us to pursue a different course. If we remain one people under an efficient government. the period is not far off when we may defy material injury from external annoyance; when we may take such an attitude as will cause the neutrality we may at any time resolve upon to be scrupulously respected; when belligerent nations, under the impossibility of making acquisitions upon us, will not lightly hazard the giving us provocation; when we may choose peace or war, as our interest, guided by justice, shall counsel.
Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation? Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground? Why, by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalship, interest, humor or caprice
"OMG how unamerican!"
I'm tired of writing paragraphs on useless crap. lets agree to disagree man.
You insult me with a strawman and then try to act friendly with "lets just agree to disagree lawl." wat
I don't mean to have any trouble
There was no trouble until you insulted me by calling me anti-American and compared me to some late-night Liberal talk-show host. I get annoyed when people try to strawman me.
I like friendly debates but I don't feel the need to talk politics on a game website. :)
You made a thread about what other people think of the most powerful and controversial nations on the planet. How could it not get political? Especially when you're talking about what people from other countries think, so of course foreign policy will be discussed.

Top Bottom