• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Capcom: Stay tuned for Resident Evil 7

Unknown

I disagree. I don't think RE7 will be on the NX unless there's a good amount of time for the console to find a following big enough to warrant putting the game on it. It doesn't matter how close Nintendo and Capcom are if the audience/money isn't there. And it being an NX exclusive is almost as ridiculous as saying RE4 needs more ports.

The NX being more powerful than the PS4 is another strange idea floated by Nintendo fanboys to be honest, it makes no sense. Nintendo need to win back customers, not lose them by spending too much on hardware. That, and what developer would invest time into it? It's like the PC, the power would go under-utilised. PC fanboys like slate the consoles as usual (the PS4 is actually quite superior the the X1) because there haven't been any games to prove what they can do when optimised. Until now, with Uncharted 4 and Quantum Break as two examples. As for the PS5/Next Xbox in 2018? Whoever thinks that is kidding themselves. At the earliest, 2020.

Last edited:

meg5493

@meg5493
Nintendo makes their choices for hardware with AMD. They've had a long standing partnership. Hardware supplies have no say on the power that their customers buy. They help build them and the custom chips if needed and then ship it. They don't dictate what power they get.

Nintendo used to be the powerhouse in terms of hardware. The N^4 was 3x the specs of the PS1. The Xbox did have a high clocked processor, and GPU. However the Game Cube was superior in terms of memory, some debate the GPU was a better GPU than the Xbox's so the clock speed was irrelevant. The Game Cube was the most efficient console in terms of handling it's specs, there are higher number of Game Cube games that have prettier graphics than the others. Debatably it has the best visuals of that generation. The Metroid vs Halo debate still goes on as does the claims of RE4.

Oh I can believe that gamecube games looked amazing and alot of them still hold up really well if I remember correctly the wii was very easy to develop for and especially compared to the wii u which is a shame since the wii u has some cool games but its losing traction fast and if rumors are true nintendo is ready to jump to the nx even skipping wii u and putting the new zelda game onto nx

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
Well, for one thing: We at least have a clue what REmake 2 will be like because we already have an original and members of RE2 Reborn working on it. RE7 is all speculation right now, so I don't blame you at all for being more excited for a remake than a sequel.

i think it's more to do with the way the resident evil franchise is going. going back to re4 for example, i couldn't wait for that to come out, even if back then a re2 remake was in the works, i would have been more excited with the next proper installment, but since re5, i'm just not that bothered anymore....:(

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Unknown

I agree with what you are saying. A couple of things. As for the 2018 for the PS5. It's not out of reach, there has been talk that Sony want's the 4-5 year cycle back. That would 2018-2019 a sweet spot. Sony is very good at supporting their older systems. I think it's going to depend on how the PS4 does in in the next 2 years. The PSVR is looking to be built to move into the next generation smoothly. But given the PSVR, a counter argument can be made that it'll extend the PS4's life. It can go both ways. As for the next Xbox... well... it's hard to say. After the latest Microsoft news, it's hard to even care.

Back to the NX. You state that it if the NX was more powerful than the PS4, it would make no sense and Nintendo won't make money. Then you go on to mention Uncharted 4 in a similar context. This completely contradicts your argument. Unfortunately graphics sell, and gamers will gravitate towards it. So I don't understand the point you're trying to make, I mean I do, but it's rather hypocritical. We're going to see a different system from Nintendo, what it is, and how powerful it is. It's unknown. The only rumor that seems to be consistent is that Nintendo is very aggressive with third parties this time around. This one is quite believable. Very few Nintendo fans give a single **** about a Call of Duty game coming to a Nintendo platform. So... I see no reason why anyone would make that up. Of course they could be, so it's still a rumor, but easily the most believable one of every rumor out there.

Of course the PS4 is far superior to the Xbox One. I was huge on the 360 and I swapped this gen (I owned every system last gen. Played 360 the most and I currently have exactly 99 games in my collection). This gen I own all but the Xbox One LMAO! Damn it hurt to let go of that gamer score.

Unknown

I just think a 2018 start for the next consoles is way too close.

And I contradicted nothing. My points about the NX and Uncharted were in entirely different contexts. The NX context being that a more powerful system means Nintendo have to spend more to build it, thus a higher price to buy it. And with two next-gen consoles already on the market and doing well, and higher price point would make the NX a hard sell.

With Uncharted, all I mentioned was that it is a game that demonstrates the PS4's power. But the PS4 has done very well without that game to show off its capabilities. The NX won't sell on the sole merit of being more powerful so I don't see how you managed to come to the conclusion that I was being hypocritical. Nintendo just keeps missing the next gen release window and end playing catch-up. I have no doubt that Nintendo are seeking more third party support for the NX, and this is a major reason why it's not going to more powerful than the PS4/Xbox. Developers are not going to spend extra time making the NX version any better (this was a problem the PS3 faced early on, it had better hardware but third party games weren't using it).

Airaku

Stray Jedi
2018 might debatably be early by todays console standards, but back in the days. The 4-5 year cycle was the golden standard. Last gen was the only generation that lasted so long. It was milked pretty well.

For my conclusion about you being a hypocritical was based on how interpreted that you said that graphics won't sell and then contradict yourself that they do. That's kind of the vibe I got. I half agree and half don't As of the past well... 10 or so years, yes graphics have been a selling point with the hardcore gamers. If the NX is more powerful and has more compelling hardware... then it will sell, and sell well with a lot of gamers. It will easily surpass the Wii U.

If it uses the APU's that I mentioned is theoritical possible. The NX could be 2-4 times more powerful than the PS4, while remaining with a completive price point. The past few years has seen a fair leap and you need to remember that the Jaguar APU in both the PS4 and Xbox One are low end laptop components. There is nothing special about them. Consoles have the advantage of running equivalent hardware better than the PC does. The reason for this has to do with the OS and optimization. Anything high end on the PC curb stomps consoles. They can't even compete on the same level. If Nintendo chose to go with mid-range or low-end version of a high-end version of the latest AMD APU's.... they will smash the current consoles like a joke. Some people wonder why Sony and Microsoft didn't go with the better APU (I can't remember if it was Stream Roller or Pile Driver, one is mid range and the other high end. The mid range should have been used). Nintendo has a very easy chance to hit a blow out. It is then up to 3rd parties to decide if they want to utilize that power. Considering they can just make higher end games and release them on PC. That is another debate in itself. In the end, Nintendo's first party titles.... well yeah. Just like Uncharted 4 is optimised and looks amazing on the PS4.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't get why people like to bring up that Nintendo and Capcom have a great relationship when discussing whether or not Resident Evil 7 will be on a Nintendo console. That means absolutely nothing. Resident Evil 6 wasn't released on the Wii U so what makes anyone think any different for Resident Evil 7 and the NX? Not saying it's not a possibility but it's not crazy to think that it won't show up. Where's Revelations 2? Resident Evil Remastered? Resident Evil 0 Remastered? Resident Evil 4 HD? All games that could have been on Wii U but despite their "awesome" relationship, were nowhere to be found on Nintendo platforms.

Unknown

@ Airaku

I never said anything about graphics selling. You did. Though you are right, graphics do sell to an extent, but this won't help the NX because it is late to the party. Graphics and hardware are only a major selling point early on in the cycle.

The APU's in the consoles are not "low end" laptop APU's, as much as PC fanboys like to claim, they're comparable to mid-range PC hardware, but with optimisation they are able to do more on that mid-range hardware than the PC can. The PS4 in particular has 8 ACE units for optimising the APU, pretty much the same as the PS3 SPE's, this is the same as the high end R9 290x graphics card. In that same respect, top end PC hardware is also capable of a lot more than what is actually achieved on it, developers just never utilise it because optimisation on the PC is a hassle. It's a funny situation, even the best looking PC game on the best PC rig could potentially look much better, but we'll never see it.

Back to the NX, it's not that Nintendo can't use a more powerful APU, but buisness-wise it wouldn't make sense. Developers are making games for PS4 and X1 now, so the NX port would just be a...port, no improvements. The PS3 had the same issue, getting lesser ports of 360 games despite being more powerful. And like you said, the PS5 and next Xbox will hit one day, and will undoubtedly trounce this NX either way.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Unknown

That's all a matter of perspective. Nintendo kicked off this current gen with the release of the Wii U. It wasn't a last gen console. The Wii U was launched in 2012 and the PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013. They are all 8th gen consoles, with the Wii U being the first out the door.. In this sense the NX is not late to the party. It will be the very first 9th generation consoles. That part is the fact. The question is if it is Nintendo is playing catch up, or taking a leap. That is where the speculation lies. What I find really funny is that the NX is also called "N7" by the fans xD Imagine if it launched with a port of the Mass Effect trilogy. That joke would never fade -_-

I stated that I was under the impression that you were contradicting yourself with what you were saying regarding graphics and Nintendo, and then moving on to Uncharted. That was an error on my part. It's a shame that graphics trump gameplay when it comes to the masses. At this rate, can Nintendo really afford not to make hardware that can go toe to toe with the PS5? No one is going to buy a slightly better PS4. The PS4 is one of the fastest selling consoles in gaming history. It's stealing the competition. Much like the PS2 did. I think Nintendo needs to take a risk, this is from a business perspective. The argument for this is that NX and PC can share their own version of games, this will push developers to make better looking games. Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't bet some chips. Sony went all in with the PS4, it was a risk for them. Nintendo needs to do the same. The only difference is that Nintendo has some bank, where Sony was dipping into the red.

I agree that the PS3 had the same issue with the Xbox 360. Part if this is because the Cell processor is a bitch! The Xbox and Game Cube offered better looking games than the PS2. On the other hand. The Ps4 has better looking games than the Xbox One. Mainly just due to resolution. Which is noticeable on big screen TV's.

As for Jaguar not being a low end laptop chip. You got to be kidding me. It was around the $800 mark for laptops if I am not mistaken. Mid-range lap tops go for around $1300-1500. High end goe for about $1700-$2100. Then there are ridiculous laptops that go for around $3000. Those ****ers are thick! http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX57822 I am very confused of where you are getting your conclusion from.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Unknown

That's all a matter of perspective. Nintendo kicked off this current gen with the release of the Wii U. It wasn't a last gen console. The Wii U was launched in 2012 and the PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013. They are all 8th gen consoles, with the Wii U being the first out the door.. In this sense the NX is not late to the party. It will be the very first 9th generation consoles. That part is the fact. The question is if it is Nintendo is playing catch up, or taking a leap. That is where the speculation lies. What I find really funny is that the NX is also called "N7" by the fans xD Imagine if it launched with a port of the Mass Effect trilogy. That joke would never fade -_-

I stated that I was under the impression that you were contradicting yourself with what you were saying regarding graphics and Nintendo, and then moving on to Uncharted. That was an error on my part. It's a shame that graphics trump gameplay when it comes to the masses. At this rate, can Nintendo really afford not to make hardware that can go toe to toe with the PS5? No one is going to buy a slightly better PS4. The PS4 is one of the fastest selling consoles in gaming history. It's stealing the competition. Much like the PS2 did. I think Nintendo needs to take a risk, this is from a business perspective. The argument for this is that NX and PC can share their own version of games, this will push developers to make better looking games. Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't bet some chips. Sony went all in with the PS4, it was a risk for them. Nintendo needs to do the same. The only difference is that Nintendo has some bank, where Sony was dipping into the red.

I agree that the PS3 had the same issue with the Xbox 360. Part if this is because the Cell processor is a bitch! The Xbox and Game Cube offered better looking games than the PS2. On the other hand. The Ps4 has better looking games than the Xbox One. Mainly just due to resolution. Which is noticeable on big screen TV's.

As for Jaguar not being a low end laptop chip. You got to be kidding me. It was around the $800 mark for laptops if I am not mistaken. Mid-range lap tops go for around $1300-1500. High end goe for about $1700-$2100. Then there are ridiculous laptops that go for around $3000. Those ****ers are thick! http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX57822 I am very confused of where you are getting your conclusion from.

How awesome would that have been? RE4 in HD and with Pointer technology? That would have been the definitive version right there.

Is that not what RE4 on the Wii was? lmao minus the HD part of course.

Turo602

The King of Kings
How awesome would that have been? RE4 in HD and with Pointer technology? That would have been the definitive version right there.

Exactly. But even if they stuck with traditional controls it would have been awesome to have the inventory screen on the gamepad.

Unknown

Technically the Wii did start the next gen, but everybody knew from the start that it was just a HD Wii, so nobody really acknowledged it as a next gen system. Nintendo was "late to the party" in the sense that the Wii U is only comparable to the PS3/360 and was effectively dead after the PS4 and X1 were revealed.

The NX conundrum is this: it can either be similar to the PS4, which will mean a decent price and ability to compete, but why buy it if it's only like a PS4?...... Or, Nintendo could make it more powerful than the PS4 and market it as next gen, in which case it will cost more, sell less and won't get much support until the PS4/X1 have run their course anyway....but then the PS5/X2 will be revealed, the hype will go to them, they'll be the focus and both will be more powerful than the NX!

Regarding the console chips, it is based on the Jaguar, but it isn't the same standard Jaguar chip that AMD sell for PC's and Laptops. Being a console, it is modified and combined with other components as well as the GPU, like I said, 8 ACE units (2 on X1) on the PS4 APU which is the same as a 290x card, which cost the same as the PS4 itself at the time, hardly something you'd find in a low-end Jaguar laptop lol).

Last edited:

meg5493

I don't get why people like to bring up that Nintendo and Capcom have a great relationship when discussing whether or not Resident Evil 7 will be on a Nintendo console. That means absolutely nothing. Resident Evil 6 wasn't released on the Wii U so what makes anyone think any different for Resident Evil 7 and the NX? Not saying it's not a possibility but it's not crazy to think that it won't show up. Where's Revelations 2? Resident Evil Remastered? Resident Evil 0 Remastered? Resident Evil 4 HD? All games that could have been on Wii U but despite their "awesome" relationship, were nowhere to be found on Nintendo platforms.

The Wii U was and is hard to develop for thats why a lot 3rd party support is non existent for the console, but since dev kits have been supposedly sent out and if Nintendo is able to convince Capcom that the NX is worth it, its not impossible to see the next RE game on Nintendo's new console. Both the Wii and Gamecube had some pretty good Capcom exclusives before they were ported down the line.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Unknown

Let's also forget Nintendo reduced the CPU in in the Wii U from something like 3.2 Ghz to something like 1.23% to be energy efficient. So ****ing stupid, the ****ing thing could have gone head to head with the Xbox One. If you seen the E3 reveal for the system, it was impressive. You think we can still get that realistic Zelda on the Wii U now? LOL! Where's the PC port of Metro Last Light? Where's my Battlefield 3? Where's all those demanding games. There is one rumor, which is unconfirmed. That the version of Watch_Dog we originally saw was the Wii U version. Supposedly the power reduction ****ed Ubisoft in the ass. Of course there is no confirmation of this. If this is true, can't blame them for dropping Wii U support.

As Meg said. It is a difficult system to develop for. Not quite as hard as the PS3 with the cell, but hard enough.

How can you assume that if the NX IS a true NeXt gen console, that it would not sell? Gamers would eat that **** up if it has desirable features along with being more powerful. Nintendo can reclaim there name. The 1st party software will sell the system, it's the only reason the Wii U is even selling at all, asides from Nintendo fans. This is a little bit of a silly assessment considering the PS4 and Xbox One will be about 3 years old once the NX comes out. Just a year or so under a classic generation cycle. We will see in time, but it's silly to assume either way.

As for the Jaguar chipset. I'd still argue that it's underpowered. It's still in the mid-low end or upper-low end at best. It is true that the chipset is modified. This is very much true. The PS4 is very well optimised and did some voodoo magic with it's memory. Which is very impressive :p Okay it wasn't magic, but is was brilliant hardware engineering and Mark Cerny is a genius, as is Yoshida. The consoles are still not as powerful as people make it out to be. It was the most underpowered generation to date. The 360 actually trumped PC for a year, the Tri-core killed it! By the time the PS3 came out, the PC passed it again, the software just wasn't there. The N64 seemed to do the same. Debatably the Game Cube and Xbox did so with optimization. Sony and Microsoft could have done much better. Of course Microsoft went with the current barebones and Sony turned around and said **** you and did the same. Sony NEEDED to profit and get the market back. They were in the red. Deep in the red. If the PS4 wasn't so successful. Sony's position would be very rocky today.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Why are people buying in to the whole E3 thing? The reason this rumor is believable is because it's the obvious answer. It's a cop out. E3's the biggest gaming convention of the year, so why not, but this exact rumor occurred around this time last year and the year before, and nothing came of it then. Don't get me wrong, I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least announced this year (crossing my fingers for March 22nd announcement, but let's be real that's not gonna happen), but there's not really any evidence other than "6 has been out for a while so we're due".

Turo602

The King of Kings
Why are people buying in to the whole E3 thing? The reason this rumor is believable is because it's the obvious answer. It's a cop out. E3's the biggest gaming convention of the year, so why not, but this exact rumor occurred around this time last year and the year before, and nothing came of it then. Don't get me wrong, I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least announced this year (crossing my fingers for March 22nd announcement, but let's be real that's not gonna happen), but there's not really any evidence other than "6 has been out for a while so we're due".

Yeah, I completely agree. RE6 and Revelations 2 weren't even announced at E3 so it's not like that's the only place and way to announce 7. Besides, I find it weird for them to tell us that news is "coming soon" back in October only for it to be announced at E3. I'm definitely hoping for sooner and an appearance at E3 and maybe that's the best option for them. Generate interest for your game early on without the competition. Unless they're that confident in RE7. Who knows really? It's all just speculation. It could be revealed at E3, it could be earlier, or even after. But for now, such rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

Unknown

@ Airaku

Whole lot of good that first party software has done for Wii U. The Nintendo fanboys bought it, and these same fanboys will run out and buy the NX regardless, but the first party games alone will not give it any footing to compete with either the PS4/X1 or whatever comes next. Gamers learned with the Wii that Nintendo are lost without that third party support. And the NX may have some but no major developer is going to bother with it unless there is an audience at least comparable to the PS/Xbox crowd...and I don't think Nintendo can ever compete with them to be honest, it's too far gone imo. Yet again, speculation is all.

The Jaguar chipset is hardly underpowered (on its own, as it is with PC, it would be, but when it's combined with high end components it's clearly not) when it's pushing graphics easily comparable to the best looking PC games, it's just that PC's never made use of it, a phenomenon that will persist and as such, consoles will always be weaker yet more successful than PC's.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Unknown

I agree with what you said regarding the fanboys on the Wii U. One problem is... Nintendo hardly supported the system themselves. They released games far few and in between. So the system really didn't go far after it's first year. Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 were the only true system sellers. We'll see how it goes with 3rd party support. It's all speculation as you've stated. Microsoft is currently in the process of ****ing off A LOT of third party developers in the past week. The whole gaming industry is all shook up right now. Until the dust settles, almost nothing is certain anymore. A week ago.... I wouldn't have said that.

You are correct. Consoles will always be weaker (except for a few temporary exceptions), but more successful. This is true. It comes down to affordability and accessibility. Consoles are also optimised better and not strapped down by an intensive OS. That is the biggest advantage a console has in terms of utilizing its power. That doesn't change the fact that both Sony and Microsoft went with mobile chipsets (mid-low range laptop quality). They could have gone with actual GPU's and CPU's like all the past consoles did. It would have been a fair bit more powerful. The problem lies with how cheap they could get APU's for. Especially Jaguar chips.

Top Bottom