• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Best Version of RE4?

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
It's a tie with the Wii and Xbox 360 for me. The Wii has the whole novelty of motion controls, and it's definitely fun to use, but the Xbox offers nicer visuals, classic controls with the best controller since the Gamecube, and of course, achievements.
I'd say the Motion Controlled QTEs were a novelty, but the QTEs are a novelty in every version, I think. The pointer technology helped by giving it more intuitive aiming, and that's why I like it.
You'd think I'd say the same for RE5 Gold Edition for PS3, but my god, it just felt wrong.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'd say the Motion Controlled QTEs were a novelty, but the QTEs are a novelty in every version, I think. The pointer technology helped by giving it more intuitive aiming, and that's why I like it.
You'd think I'd say the same for RE5 Gold Edition for PS3, but my god, it just felt wrong.

Motion controls in general are a novelty. It's not a worthwhile way to game. Some games may do them justice, but it's never going to be as significant as a standard controller.

The Move was a terrible control, period. I don't know why Sony thought they could steal Nintendo's business... Resident Evil 5 was just horrible with those controls.

KevinStriker

The Move was a terrible control, period. I don't know why Sony thought they could steal Nintendo's business... Resident Evil 5 was just horrible with those controls.

On top of RE5's controls not being appropriate for itself. RE4's Stop-n-Pop mechanics work because of the enemies. They shuffle when they're close and move at a good pace when they're pursuing you. They move in straight lines and use melee weapons with obvious wind-ups. Strafing didn't feel essential. In 5, when the enemies sprint, attack quickly and eventually use AK-74s, suddenly, what felt appropriate and fluent for 4 ends up letting you take a whole lot of unnecessary damage in 5. Stop-n-pop is used to increase tension, which is fine in an action-orientated horror game. RE5 is pure action with gross-out body horror sprinkled in. LET ME STRAFE WHILE FIRING, DAMMIT.

Turo602

The King of Kings
On top of RE5's controls not being appropriate for itself. RE4's Stop-n-Pop mechanics work because of the enemies. They shuffle when they're close and move at a good pace when they're pursuing you. They move in straight lines and use melee weapons with obvious wind-ups. Strafing didn't feel essential. In 5, when the enemies sprint, attack quickly and eventually use AK-74s, suddenly, what felt appropriate and fluent for 4 ends up letting you take a whole lot of unnecessary damage in 5. Stop-n-pop is used to increase tension, which is fine in an action-orientated horror game. RE5 is pure action with gross-out body horror sprinkled in. LET ME STRAFE WHILE FIRING, DAMMIT.

I don't know, RE5 felt fine to me. The gameplay was a major improvement over 4. There were certainly more enemies on screen but the a.i. was just as stupid. That's one of things that killed Resident Evil for me... what enemy runs at you and then stops? That was just painfully dumb. Anyway, Resident Evil 5 felt pretty balanced, even without moving and shooting.

KevinStriker

I don't know, RE5 felt fine to me. The gameplay was a major improvement over 4. There were certainly more enemies on screen but the a.i. was just as stupid. That's one of things that killed Resident Evil for me... what enemy runs at you and then stops? That was just painfully dumb. Anyway, Resident Evil 5 felt pretty balanced, even without moving and shooting.

Really? Interesting. I thought 4 had the better combat. Maybe just I'm not as good at 5 as I could be.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Really? Interesting. I thought 4 had the better combat. Maybe just I'm not as good at 5 as I could be.

Honestly, 5 did a much better job than 4 at creating tension with the immense amount of enemies approach of Resident Evil. Inventory was much more limited and accessed in real time and the enemies were beefed up. The overall experience was hurt though due to the inclusion of co-op. There were moments that worked well in 4 that felt dumbed down in 5 due to its co-operative design. So really, some things worked well/better and other didn't. Its gameplay would be one of the things that worked better thanks to the use of dual analog sticks and improved physics.

Top Bottom