• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Why the hate?

Retrogamer

Why do people hate this game, and praise re5?

Re4 is better than its successor, and even though i don't like ashley graham, at least i don't have a stupid co op partner that is constantly with me.

Spyder

La Vita Nuova
I tend to agree. I liked both, and of course RE5 was superior in terms of graphics and technology, being a next gen game, but RE4 was far better in terms of gameplay, and was the last truly great RE game IMO. I loved 5 and 6, but 4 felt like a rebooted RE game, and 5 and 6 felt almost like a whole new series to me.

Fenris

Wolf :)
Quite honest: RE4 was just average for me. I never really understood why people thought the game is scary. For me it clearly wasn't scary at all. I really like the enemies and the gameplay (It's one of a few games that has multiple chapters and you didn't got bored while playing it). The story was quite good for an Resident Evil game but I think it should have fit a little bit more in the concept of a Resident Evil game (It didn't feel the same with the whole Los Illuminiados story). But all things considered it was quite a funny game. It's not really my favorite RE game but It's far from being the worst. Resident Evil 5 on one hand had a by far better graphic and more character development but on the other hand RE5 wasn't as good as Resident Evil 4 in my opinion because I didn't like the atmosphere of it (I can see that RE4 at least tries to be a creepy game, but RE5 clearly isn't). And I think that the co-op thing was more of an deceleration to RE5 than really a new feature and I didn't like how the story turned out at some points.

Retrogamer

Re4 was not scary, but at least it wasn't a clone of (insert popular tps here) to attempt to cash in to the wider audience.
I thought it was good, but i like old re games more, like re1,2,3 and code veronica.
Re5 to me was a disgrace as a survival horror.Everything shot in daylight, and enemies running in front of you, and having more than enough ammo to kill everything on the screen.That being said:Some of the co op was better than re4 in experience, but i don't play resident evil for co op.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
For me, it's mostly the controls that ruined it. (I'm playing on PC, if that helps.) The aiming and movement is way too slow, it doesn't really help to know that there's a zombie behind me if I'm unable to turn around before it kills me. The QTEs annoyed the hell out of me, up to the point that I stopped playing because of one of them. The story and characters weren't too great either (although, unlike others, I do like Ashley), so there was really nothing to keep me going.

If they made a new, proper PC port of this game, I wouldn't hesitate to give it another try. But as it is now, it's my least favourite game of the series. RE5 is not my favourite either, but much more enjoyable, especially in co-op mode with a friend.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Re4 I liked better than Re5. Storyline, main character, environment.. it's one of my top 3 fav REgames.

Retrogamer

You were playing the re4 pc version, but the wii version controls were quite good actually.
Re4 is also too much like an fps as well, but its not as bad in gameplay.The dialogue is ridiculous though, but at least it still has that familiar dark setting.I also don't like qte's, but re4's didn't really bother me.That battle with the el gigante boss in re5 on hardest difficulty took me forever, because of those stupid qte's.I don't even mind that chris was as on a bit too many roids.

I hadn't much trouble with beating up krauser with qte's, but el gigante was ridiculous.

YKYMrFalcon

Uncultured Swine
I'm on the boat that feels RE4 was needed for the series in terms of escaping the tired and clunky controls of the series beforehand. Now, don't get me wrong. RE2 is still my favorite game and Nemesis can still scare the **** out of me any given play through, but those tank controls needed to go for the series to continue. RE4 revitalized it. Now, it also removed itself a bit from the horror aspect. It had its moments but it wasn't exactly "Resident Evil" anymore. But I damn enjoyed it. From then on is when I feel the series went on to go REALLY into action over horror. More so, I should say. I prefer RE4 over RE5. I'm currently doing a blind Let's Play on Revelations and enjoying it more than I thought I would. When it comes to these titles

RE4 > RE: Rev > RE5

Now RE6.. man, I'm not sure if I can play that one.

weskerondope

of course re4 was better than re5,
the only thing with re 5 that was better was the co op
(i love co op games to death)
i do consider resident evil 4 the last true resident evil game
but it was also the first not classic resident evil game
so i have a few mixed feelings
but i have so much fun everytime i play that game

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
...I've never seen RE4 get more hate than RE5...it's nearly universally loved by everybody over RE5. It won a LOT more awards, and I'm pretty sure outsold it by quite a bit. RE5 is REALLY good, and in my opinion, story wise actually better than RE4, but RE4 was ACTUALLY scary at certain points, and had much more interesting characters...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
RE4 [...] had much more interesting characters...

Interesting characters? In what way? Unless you speak of the completely overrated Merchant and Hunk, I always only hear people complain about Ashley and never even mention the bad guys. Personally, I couldn't get into RE4 character-wise: Leon's new attitude made me hate him, I couldn't tell tell the bad guys apart and teneded to mix up Saddler and Salazar due to their names, Hunnigan seemed like a boring secretary at that time and I wasn't really fond of Ada until RE6. So Ashley of all people was actually the only one I liked during my first and only unfinished playthrough.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what you mean by "interesting characters", especially in comparison to RE5 (which doesn't have the best set of characters for me either, I only like the two mains).

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Interesting characters? In what way? Unless you speak of the completely overrated Merchant and Hunk, I always only hear people complain about Ashley and never even mention the bad guys. Personally, I couldn't get into RE4 character-wise: Leon's new attitude made me hate him, I couldn't tell tell the bad guys apart and teneded to mix up Saddler and Salazar due to their names, Hunnigan seemed like a boring secretary at that time and I wasn't really fond of Ada until RE6. So Ashley of all people was actually the only one I liked during my first and only unfinished playthrough.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what you mean by "interesting characters", especially in comparison to RE5 (which doesn't have the best set of characters for me either, I only like the two mains).

Luis - was an interesting character...He was almost like Johnny Depp (Making his death scene great). And he played a good balance of Comic Relief and Important Story Tool...
Leon - RE4 showed great character development in Leon...I love his new attitude. It's the same as his old, but with that added maturity.
Ada - Was just ok...Never really was a big fan of her...She's just there. Not good not bad.
Hunnigan - Was cool...I like her "I'm not putting up with this pretty boy's sh*t!" attitude towards Leon.
Salazar - I thought was great. He was deranged, and thought he was in control...when really he wasn't.
Saddler - Was a good change for a bad guy. Before, we had only only really had BOW's as end game bad guys, who never really could think for themselves, or had a master plan. I mean...I guess Alexia Ashford was similar to Saddler, but I didn't find her near as cool a character as Saddler. He was almost reminiscent of a Sith Lord.
Merchant - Wasn't over rated. He kind of in a sense is a RE icon...And added a bit of good humor to the game.
Ashley - Was funny, and gave the game purpose. I really don't mind her. She's not the most INTERESTING, but she's not BAD. I like her better than Ada...
Krauser - Created a question as to who he was, and you really wouldn't find out his true character until RE: Darkside Chronicles. Once you play both games, and see his development, he becomes a much more interesting character.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I don't really know anyone who could "Hate" Re4.. its one of the best shooters ever made and RE 5 is merely a copy/paste version of RE4 with bad level design.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food.
I don't hate it, just found it overrated. Game of the Year. Best Resident Evil game ever. So much praise for a ok game with a stupid story. Why would the president send one guy(even if it is Leon) to rescue his daughter?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Since when has this ever been a case? The general opinion around most parts tend to be the other way around. Anyway, Resident Evil 4 is the first of its kind, so it's easy to understand why it's so popular. Not only did it introduce many people to the series by becoming more accessible, it was a revolutionary product that would go on to inspire games of the next generation like Gears of War and Dead Space. It's an all around great game and has some of the best boss fights in the series as well as many iconic moments. That said, it is a more preferable experience to RE5.

There's no doubt, Resident Evil 5 was a great game, it succeeded at what it tried to accomplish. It improved over RE4 in some aspects and still continues the trend of having great boss fights, but falls flat because of co-op. The co-op feature puts you in a buddy shoot 'em up mood which completely rids most of the tension you should feel in a horror game. By comparison, Resident Evil 4 is just all around closer to the series' roots and is overall the more memorable experience.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Since when has this ever been a case? The general opinion around most parts tend to be the other way around. Anyway, Resident Evil 4 is the first of its kind, so it's easy to understand why it's so popular. Not only did it introduce many people to the series by becoming more accessible, it was a revolutionary product that would go on to inspire games of the next generation like Gears of War and Dead Space. It's an all around great game and has some of the best boss fights in the series as well as many iconic moments. That said, it is a more preferable experience to RE5.

There's no doubt, Resident Evil 5 was a great game, it succeeded at what it tried to accomplish. It improved over RE4 in some aspects and still continues the trend of having great boss fights, but falls flat because of co-op. The co-op feature puts you in a buddy shoot 'em up mood which completely rids most of the tension you should feel in a horror game. By comparison, Resident Evil 4 is just all around closer to the series' roots and is overall the more memorable experience.
It just seemed to get a LOT of love, more than any other . IGN gave it a 9.8 out of 10 and labeled it the best survival horror game ever made. I scroll down and see comments like best ps2 game ever, best Resident Evil ever, better than Last of Us(didn't it win game of the year), best Resident Evil by far. These are comments within a year ago. Gamespot there were 60,000 plus player ratings and it got an average of 9.4 out of 10 with 40,000 giving it a 10 rating. LOL! Perfect game. Nothing at all wrong with it. This is where my view of it being overrated comes from.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It just seemed to get a LOT of love, more than any other . IGN gave it a 9.8 out of 10 and labeled it the best survival horror game ever made. I scroll down and see comments like best ps2 game ever, best Resident Evil ever, better than Last of Us(didn't it win game of the year), best Resident Evil by far. These are comments within a year ago. Gamespot there were 60,000 plus player ratings and it got an average of 9.4 out of 10 with 40,000 giving it a 10 rating. LOL! Perfect game. Nothing at all wrong with it. This is where my view of it being overrated comes from.

Um... I wasn't referring to you. I was responding to the thread which claims that RE4 is hated and RE5 is praised. Even then, I don't see how RE4 is overrated. The game is fantastic, definitely one of the greatest games of its generation and of all time. Fanboyism is a totally different thing, though.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Um... I wasn't referring to you. I was responding to the thread which claims that RE4 is hated and RE5 is praised. Even then, I don't see how RE4 is overrated. The game is fantastic, definitely one of the greatest games of its generation and of all time. Fanboyism is a totally different thing, though.
Oh. My bad. LOL!

Top Bottom