• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil (2002) / HD Remaster (2015) Whose Campaign Do You Prefer Playing?

Do you prefer playing as Jill or Chris?

• Jill

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Chris

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
This is a tough one for me. I like Chris' story a lot and I think Rebecca is a unique side character, but as far as gameplay goes - Chris is just a harder campaign due to the limited inventory space.

I find Jill easier to use and her gameplay better. Plus, you get all the extra hilarious Barry scenarios!

Murrdogg93

This is a tough one for me. I like Chris' story a lot and I think Rebecca is a unique side character, but as far as gameplay goes - Chris is just a harder campaign due to the limited inventory space.

I find Jill easier to use and her gameplay better. Plus, you get all the extra hilarious Barry scenarios!
In terms of Chris being harder, I'd also argue that not having the lock pick makes things harder as well, causing you to have to venture out more for Old Keys. I've beaten the game on Normal, but I haven't on Hard.
While Chris is probably the harder campaign, it's the one I've played most. Mostly for immersion reasons. If I was in that intro cutscene, I'd most likely go into protection instinct mode & make sure my partner doesn't get attacked.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I forgot about the lockpick/old keys thing.

I beat Chris' campaign only once on Gamecube and man did it terrify me.
I beat Jill's campaign in late 2018, so it is much more fresh.

In a few years, I will do another Chris run through and see how much more time it takes.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I prefer Jill's campaign.

I prefer her self defense weapons and lockpicks.

At the end of the day though, I don't feel too incredibly strong about either one over the other as the first RE wasn't my favorite storywise and so I don't play it as much.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't really have any story, difficulty, or progression preferences for either of them. But I prefer Jill purely for the extra inventory space. It's just more tedious as Chris having to go to the item box so much, but otherwise, I like em both.

Mr.R

I think I prefer Jill's campaign because I like Barry more than I like Rebecca. However, different from the original RE1, where Chris only had more HP, Chris in the Remake has more going for him. Jill might have the 2 extra slots in the inventory and the Grenade Launcher, but Chris still has more HP, has a longer knife and a faster swing, he shoots faster with the shotgun and the Magnum, with less knockback (especially against bosses, with the different stance) and his grenade self defense item can actually hit multiple targets if they're close. All in all, Jill still has an easier time, but Chris isn't much harder though. I actually used Chris to get the CQC FTW trophy.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Jill all the way. She's a more interesting character to me because she stands out among the other S.T.A.R.S. members. She also reacts more naturally to things around her compared to Chris.

And I was shocked the first time I played Chris's scenario after having just completed Jill's, realizing that he has a smaller inventory, no grenade launcher, no lockpick, god damnit. I don't mind backtracking in video games, but with Chris I had to do more backtracking than what I consider to be necessary and enjoyable.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Chris, without a second thought. Because he's hot.

No... I mean, yes, he is hot, but I also enjoy his story more, it lays the groundwork for his future relationship with Wesker, who doesn't have the same obsession with Jill as with Chris, and I also like Rebecca more than Barry. Otherwise, the scenarios play out pretty much the same way, so there's not much to prefer about the one or the other, Chris's smaller pockets can be annoying, but Jill getting more weapons and ammo types and subsequently having to balance more stuff in her inventory kind of makes up for that. I'd say Jill's scenario is still the easier one, but overall, I prefer Chris's.

Also, every time I play as Jill, I'm forced to let Barry die, because I can't handle her stupidity in the scene that follows if he survives. I don't want to kill Barry, though.

RedfieldFan

I prefer Chris's scenario. The story is a bit better imo and you get to play as Rebecca.
He might have less inventory space but that just adds to the fun of managing items. Also he can take more damage and has the grenades as secondary weapons.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I always preferred playing as Jill simply because I found Barry to be a much better - okay funnier - character than Rebecca. Rebecca really got annoying in the original Resident Evil. She wasn't quite as bad in the remake and was infinitely more tolerable in her own title!

I do have to admit, however, that I felt some serious accomplishment at beating Chris's campaign for the first time. It was such a rush!

Jonipoon

I always preferred playing as Jill simply because I found Barry to be a much better - okay funnier - character than Rebecca. Rebecca really got annoying in the original Resident Evil. She wasn't quite as bad in the remake and was infinitely more tolerable in her own title!

I do have to admit, however, that I felt some serious accomplishment at beating Chris's campaign for the first time. It was such a rush!
I played Zero before playing Chris's scenario in REmake because I wanted Zero to be my first impression of Rebecca. I think it helped, because Rebecca feels incredibly stiff and robotic in the REmake compared to Zero. Especially the "Want me to treat your wounds?" stuff that happens repeatedly, it makes her come off as some sort of merchant NPC from The Elder Scrolls series.

Barry is funnier and the chemistry between him and Jill just works. I didn't feel any chemistry between Rebecca and Chris at all. I found Rebecca so uninteresting and forgettable in Chris's scenario that I didn't even bother saving her at the mansion during my first playthrough. Then, once I reached the ending part of the game, I kept asking myself "Why isn't the mansion blowing up like it did in Jill's scenario? Oh wait a second..... ohhh Rebecca.... ohhhh right."

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I played Zero before playing Chris's scenario in REmake because I wanted Zero to be my first impression of Rebecca. I think it helped, because Rebecca feels incredibly stiff and robotic in the REmake compared to Zero. Especially the "Want me to treat your wounds?" stuff that happens repeatedly, it makes her come off as some sort of merchant NPC from The Elder Scrolls series.

Barry is funnier and the chemistry between him and Jill just works. I didn't feel any chemistry between Rebecca and Chris at all. I found Rebecca so uninteresting and forgettable in Chris's scenario that I didn't even bother saving her at the mansion during my first playthrough. Then, once I reached the ending part of the game, I kept asking myself "Why isn't the mansion blowing up like it did in Jill's scenario? Oh wait a second..... ohhh Rebecca.... ohhhh right."
I always try to save Rebecca just because I'd feel bad if I actively let her die.

To me it's a bit different in Jill's scenario with Barry, your actions determine how the confrontations with Wesker and the Tyrant play out but with Chris you KNOW Rebecca's in trouble and if you don't save her and just actively ignore her that feels a tad mean to me.

I did like her much better in Zero, she seemed a lot more human in Zero than in her previous appearances. In the original, she honestly just felt like a tool for Chris to use seeing as how he doesn't play piano. In the original, after Moonlight Sonata is played and the secret area opens up, you may as well get a script from the game:

"You don't need Rebecca anymore. Discard?"

PinkHerb

Healing Item
XD

Barry: Finally, its over! Wait...are we missing anyone?

Chris: Hm? Nope, its just us...no survivors from Bravo team~

Wow, I didn't know a lot people gained so much dislike for Rebecca. I do agree that she is much better in Zero, in RE she is just...there.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Nothing beats her overly and inappropriately cheerful personality in the original RE1... I think Rebecca could have seemed more human in the remake as well if her voice actress (who, if I'm not mistaken, is actually different from the one in Zero) had put a little more emotion into her lines, but none of the voice acting in that game is stellar anyway, they all sound kind of bored.

But if it's any comfort to those of you who want to finish the game without her: Realistically, Chris has no way of knowing where exactly she is, and no reason to return to the library at this point in the game. So if anyone asks, just say you couldn't find her...

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I'll always go with Jill. Especially since Jill really got shafted in the main character department. Demoted to background extra. And I foolishly always hope that the next game will give Jill a staring role.

Also, on the subject of Rebecca, I feel like instead of being split into two nights, the Arklay incident should have just been one night, with Becky and her convict buddy exploring the train while Jill and friends wandered Spencer's Fun House. It would have given Rebecca a leading role and had Jill's version of events be the ultimate canon. And I dunno, have Wesker facetime Birkin for their scenes together in Zero or something :p

Jonipoon

I always try to save Rebecca just because I'd feel bad if I actively let her die.
It's not that I didn't want to save her, I just completely forgot about it. I think that says a lot about how memorable she was to me in Chris's scenario. I liked her better in Zero.

Nothing beats her overly and inappropriately cheerful personality in the original RE1... I think Rebecca could have seemed more human in the remake as well if her voice actress (who, if I'm not mistaken, is actually different from the one in Zero) had put a little more emotion into her lines, but none of the voice acting in that game is stellar anyway, they all sound kind of bored.
Her voice basically went through a second puberty in a few hours time. Since both Zero and REmake came out in the same year, its kind of strange how they didn't even bother getting the same voice actress...

Top Bottom