• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who should be the main character in RE8?

Who should be the main protagonist in RE8?

• Ada Wong

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Chris Redfield

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Claire Redfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ethan Winters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jill Valentine

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Leon S. Kennedy

• Other returning character (who?)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • New character

• Total voters

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Gameplay wise I would like a return to third person, I really want a third person horror experience akin to the Evil Within series for the Resident Evil games, or better would be the atmosphere and horror of the RE 3.5 Hookman version, the first person experience for RE7 didn't do anything to enhance the horror for me at all and honestly I found myself feeling more horror and adrenaline from another game that was released around that time Evil Within 2. I would be willing to have a compromise however with maybe a Dead Aim approach of Third Person for walking and exploring and first person for aiming and combat, or simply just having a option for both 1st person and 3rd person like Evil Within 2 had.

D

Deleted member 21244

Gameplay wise I would like a return to third person, I really want a third person horror experience akin to the Evil Within series for the Resident Evil games, or better would be the atmosphere and horror of the RE 3.5 Hookman version, the first person experience for RE7 didn't do anything to enhance the horror for me at all and honestly I found myself feeling more horror and adrenaline from another game that was released around that time Evil Within 2. I would be willing to have a compromise however with maybe a Dead Aim approach of Third Person for walking and exploring and first person for aiming and combat, or simply just having a option for both 1st person and 3rd person like Evil Within 2 had.
I still haven't played evil whitin 2 but i was thinking to buy it, is it any good?

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I still haven't played evil whitin 2 but i was thinking to buy it, is it any good?

As a longtime Resident Evil fan I can say if you like the survival horror atmosphere of the classic Resident Evil/Silent Hill and the upgradable weaponry and over the shoulder RE4 then this game is the PERFECT blend, I said in the past I would not mind a RE3 remake being structured similarly playstyle wise to this game due to the game having a semi open world called Beacon which is a small town that you can either explore and help survivors/find upgrades at your own peril or play the main story missions, somehow Evil Within 2 was able to make a semi openworld game still 100% survival horror since your going out into the unknown and faces horrifying monsters with a dark and creepy atmosphere whether it be a abandoned factory or a suburban home. Pretty much this was one of my top games of the years and while I got a great deal of enjoyment out of RE7 I found myself having way more fun with Evil Within 2 so yes its pretty darn good lol.

Also it offers the option of First person and Third person Camera and if you like RE7's first person camera you can always go through Evil WIthin 2 with the same Camera if you want, HIGHLY recommend.

D

Deleted member 21244

As a longtime Resident Evil fan I can say if you like the survival horror atmosphere of the classic Resident Evil/Silent Hill and the upgradable weaponry and over the shoulder RE4 then this game is the PERFECT blend, I said in the past I would not mind a RE3 remake being structured similarly playstyle wise to this game due to the game having a semi open world called Beacon which is a small town that you can either explore and help survivors/find upgrades at your own peril or play the main story missions, somehow Evil Within 2 was able to make a semi openworld game still 100% survival horror since your going out into the unknown and faces horrifying monsters with a dark and creepy atmosphere whether it be a abandoned factory or a suburban home. Pretty much this was one of my top games of the years and while I got a great deal of enjoyment out of RE7 I found myself having way more fun with Evil Within 2 so yes its pretty darn good lol.

Also it offers the option of First person and Third person Camera and if you like RE7's first person camera you can always go through Evil WIthin 2 with the same Camera if you want, HIGHLY recommend.
Than i must definitely buy it before re 3 came out

mert20004

If claire comes back in a future re game; ı would like capcom to take inspiration from mercenaries 3d when it comes to her melee moves; they look pretty cool. I think it would have been fitting in timeline since she survived enough incidents already.

Also another idea ı had in my mind is chris, claire, jake and sherry appearing in the same game. As for how to partner those; either chris / claire and jake / sherry or chris / jake and claire / sherry. I doubt this will happen in future but regardless this is worth mentioning.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Jill definitely deserves to be featured in the next installment but I did vote for Chris because he is my favorite and is just engraved into the series’ story progression. I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing any of the core characters return though. Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, and Ada. Just give me a game that has a solid storyline for any of them and similar gameplay/tension to REmake 2.

I really would love to see them use the new Claire actress and design in an all new game (Code Veronica Remake as well). @mert20004, Im completely on board with Claire and Sherry having a reunion. I also love the idea of having Chris and Jake being forced into a team up to help take on a threat like Alex Wesker. It would be amusing to see those two work out their differences, maybe even throw Leon in there to get on Chris’ nerves about Ada for some comedic relief. :lol:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

What was that? It was a clip of RE3 remake, RE2 Remake, and RE7? And there were visions of werewolves? This doesn't seem credible.

If there was anything major leaking - this guy on twitter would have some news. https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

He is always dropping hints about RE games and SH games as well.
The video isn't important, what was important was what the guy was saying in the video about the rumor of re 8, the images he show in the video were just for background purpose

Also the rumor came from a well known insider who usually give reliable leak information, or at least that s what i ve heard

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
My apologies - I watched it with the video with no sound. I was really confused why people were applauding reused footage. haha.

Aesthetic Gamer said that this leak is most likely the original RE8 concept before it was scrapped. But rumor has it that some of the concepts will be reused in the real RE8. I hope the climate and location are saved. A wintery nightmare sounds great. We got a touch of that in RECVX, but so much more can be done with it!

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Hello my lovelies I believe it has been literal years since I've posted so I hope you've all been well. I voted "other" because on some level I'd very much like characters like Carlos, Ashley, Sheva, Helena, etc. to get more screen time if only to prove that Capcom is capable of remembering that more than 6 different people exist in this universe. As for something I could actually see happening, Jill would be my preferred choice. I mean we still haven't even unpacked the potential ramifications of the events of 5. But what I expect to see is more Chris, because he's their golden boy, and his cameo at the end of 7 would be a natural lead-in.

I'd also like to claim my place in the "first-person was not the right move for the series" camp. I got why it could be scarier (and I played it in VR too, so yeah, it was bloody terrifying), but in a sea of undead horror games, the reason I keep coming back to RE is that I find myself caring about these specific characters, and by the end of 7 I couldn't even tell you what Ethan looked like. Not saying you can't make it work, but they certainly didn't. He was a veritable robot, and even if Capcom had achieved their "he's a vessel for how you the player would be in this situation" goal, I don't think I'd want that. At least not for a franchise where I care about these characters for who they are, not for their potential to give me a secondhand thrill. Take Dying Light for example: that worked because I wanted to be the guy climbing buildings and parkouring like a boss while gleefully hack n slashing zombies. But I don't want to be Ethan so much as I want to witness his story unfold. Granted this is all totally personal preference in terms of what I like about the series and apart from boring, samey enemy design I think RE7 is a fantastically made game and a great work of art in its own right.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think you're right that Chris is a natural candidate due to to seeing new Chris and Blue Umbrella at the end of RE7. I assume we will continue the story created in RE7 to a degree, but I am glad they are willing to shake it up. There are so many potential villains and places to go with the story. I really hope there are no ghosts involved though. haha

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Hello my lovelies I believe it has been literal years since I've posted so I hope you've all been well. I voted "other" because on some level I'd very much like characters like Carlos, Ashley, Sheva, Helena, etc. to get more screen time if only to prove that Capcom is capable of remembering that more than 6 different people exist in this universe. As for something I could actually see happening, Jill would be my preferred choice. I mean we still haven't even unpacked the potential ramifications of the events of 5. But what I expect to see is more Chris, because he's their golden boy, and his cameo at the end of 7 would be a natural lead-in.

I'd also like to claim my place in the "first-person was not the right move for the series" camp. I got why it could be scarier (and I played it in VR too, so yeah, it was bloody terrifying), but in a sea of undead horror games, the reason I keep coming back to RE is that I find myself caring about these specific characters, and by the end of 7 I couldn't even tell you what Ethan looked like. Not saying you can't make it work, but they certainly didn't. He was a veritable robot, and even if Capcom had achieved their "he's a vessel for how you the player would be in this situation" goal, I don't think I'd want that. At least not for a franchise where I care about these characters for who they are, not for their potential to give me a secondhand thrill. Take Dying Light for example: that worked because I wanted to be the guy climbing buildings and parkouring like a boss while gleefully hack n slashing zombies. But I don't want to be Ethan so much as I want to witness his story unfold. Granted this is all totally personal preference in terms of what I like about the series and apart from boring, samey enemy design I think RE7 is a fantastically made game and a great work of art in its own right.
Welcome back! :smile:

I think the more secondary characters should be kept to the spin offs personally. I'd love to see a spin off starring Sheva and Josh as the protagonists.

I agreed with the second paragraph of your post almost completely. Dying Light handles the first person way better and you definitely engage with Kyle Crane way more than bland Ethan. You actually care about Crane, whereas I couldn't care less about Ethan. Resident Evil is also a series that's been established way longer and the drastic change to first person in the main series after all this time was not a good move.

For a main series entry I'd maybe want Jill as we haven't had her in a main game in a long time, plus her character has a lot of potential for interesting stories. They could really delve into her experience of being held captive for an extended period of time, and I've mentioned before on this forum how this could tie into a story with the T-Phobos virus. It feels like PTSD would go hand-in hand with that strain.

However, part of me wants Ada to have her own game even more. I'm tired of the whole super-shady-spy thing going on because she's literally the same every time we see her and it's dull. I know this is done on purpose by Capcom and I used to excuse it because you're never meant to know too much about the spy, but it's now predictable and you know you're never going to get anything more from her. I have wondered before if part of the reason that we don't get much story from Ada is because the majority of the time she plays second fiddle to Leon; he draws all the focus and Ada is just there alongside him. Regardless, Ada definitely needs some fleshing out because you always know what to expect from her.

Top Bottom