• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who is Your Favorite of the Big 4 Protagonists?

Which Protagonist is your Favorite?

• Jill Valentine

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Chris Redfield

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Claire Redfield

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Leon Kennedy

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Murrdogg93

Jill, Chris, Claire, & Leon have the most history as the protagonists of Resident Evil. Do you have a favorite?

For me, I think it's always been between Jill & Chris. I've always had Jill's logical tendencies when dealing with situations, but I also have the protective streak that Chris tends to display with those he's close to.

I have Claire's fiery sass when push comes to shove. But not as soft and personable.

Regarding Leon, I don't have his naivety of RE 2. I have more in common with RE 4 Leon, but I don't play that game nearly as much as 1-3.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
It's hard to say to be honest. I really love all of them except for Leon. I think the one I like the best really depends on the situation and the reasons why I like them are different.

I really love Jill because she's a kick-ass female who will persevere through anything but I really think she shines brightest in RE3.

I also really love Claire and, while I fell in love with her in RE2 and CV, I think her role is best in Degeneration and Revelations 2. I like that she is taking a different approach to the biohazard fight than her brother and Jill. Not everyone is a fighter and that's okay.

Chris is my undisputed hero and there's a lot that I love about him. It would be easy to say that he is best at the beginning of the series but I also love him in RE5 and RE6. Now I'm sure RE6 is a strange choice but I think that was one of the first times that we saw one of our heroes go thru some actual human stuff and we see how hard it is for him to be the person everyone looks up to all the time. The game wasn't great but I felt like that was the most character development we've seen from a main in the series.

Moonlight_Sonata

Leon for sure, though I like him less with each installment. The characterization from RE2 was a very refreshing, believable take on a male protagonist. He was noble, well intentioned, and brave..but he was also scared, idealistic, naive, and a bit frazzled. He wasn't the archetype of a hero - he was a very flawed person trying to live up to that archetype as best he could in a situation in which he was completely out of his depth. I also love the initial character design and color scheme.

Later Leon as the suave, brooding, wisecracking ladies man is, frankly, kind of lame, imo. He's still my favorite because I cast my lot with him in 1998 and won't jump ship, but it's definitely not really in keeping with what I liked about him in the first place.

I find that most of the flaws that plague more modern interpretations of Leon also apply to Chris in general and, to a similar degree, also pervade Jill and Claire's more current characterizations. As someone who liked Jill in the original RE and RE3, the characterization in the Nemesis remake was pretty nauseating. The need to have her be over the top in her self-assuredness and indomitability was grating and they seemed to think that she became cooler with every utterance of the word "****." The remake Claire was similar in this respect, albeit slightly less over the top. In both cases, I feel like the shift to make the characters bigger "badasses" actually made them feel more homogenized and trite, to the point that you could've easily swapped out one for the other and - in terms of characterization and dialogue - noticed virtually no difference. I'm cool with badassness to some degree and get why it's appealing on some level, but if the net effect (via cliched execution) is to strip characters of their individuality, then it's almost the opposite of empowering. It becomes a form of erasure by virtue of subsumption into a set of stock characteristics that send some sort of message about strength, but do so at the expense of relatable humanity and unique psychology.

I think that's an issue with literally every character on this list at this point. You almost have to look to the peripheral figures in these games to find someone who's not an overblown model of in your face attitude. I suspect that's an issue that plagues many other video games, but I admittedly don't play enough to know. Either way, I wish RE would dial it back a bit. The characters were much more likable in the first few games when they were allowed to show weakness, vulnerability, uncertainty, and coping mechanisms outside of shooting stuff whilst wisecracking.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
If my current and previous avatars haven't made it clear enough... Jill forever and ever.

Ever since I first played Nemesis back in the late 90's, she has been the face of Resident Evil in my mind. Although it took me almost two decades to pick up a Resident Evil game again, the 2002 REmake is what made me fall in love with the series (and its also the game that I've replayed the most times). That version of Jill is my absolute favorite. In there she is sort of young and naive, while still being very mature and capable when it counts. I've always liked how Jill and the other STARS doesn't give a damn about her being the only girl on the team (until Rebecca came of course). Like, to them its no big deal, and the game doesn't try to make a big deal out of it either. It's not "in your face girl power", it just is what it is just like all things should be. Jill is her own character and not just "the female character". She's intelligent, strong, kind and committed. Some people think she's boring but I simply recognize her as being private about herself and a bit of an introvert, so she's not the kind of person who'd open up to just about anyone.

While I also adore her portrayal in RE3, I haven't been a fan of her appearances in RE5 and forward. I think the series did her dirty by turning her into an experiment and making her Wesker's pet toy. Everything she was and embodied was thrown out of the window just for the sake of a stupid plot point for shock value. She became a slave and just another damsel in distress. I suppose Capcom somewhat wanted to correct this mistake in the RE3 remake, but they overdid it by turning her into a snarky bitch who "doesn't take sh*t from any man". I did not like this new version of Jill either.

I still hope that Capcom will bring her back to the main series again and really do her character justice this time. Until then, I'll still be able to enjoy the older games and revisit playing as the most badass STARS member in history.

2930461.jpg

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have to go with Leon. He starred in two of my favorite Resident Evil games (2 and 4) and has the iconic look I want in a main character. I love all of the characters almost equally, but Leon stands out for me. Plus, I don't mind the Ada interactions.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
For me, I like Claire, Chris and Leon equally the best. I do like Jill, but I just find the other three more interesting in terms of personality. Claire shows that you can be nurturing and still kick ass. Chris has the tough guy thing going for him, but is also kind and protective. Leon is more edgy and cocky but does what's right.

Jill is fine, but not overly interesting to me, and I found her portrayal in R3make to be quite irritating.

mert20004

Chris > Claire > Leon > Ada > Jill

I think jill is boring when compared to other main characters. Her appearance in rerev was seriously lame.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The Redfields have always been my favourites, but I think Claire takes the number one spot, then Chris, then several characters who aren't among the big four protagonists, and then, somewhere at the foot of the list, Jill and Leon.

pa-pappys8675309

I went for Jill because she was my mainstay playing Revelations 1 Raid Mode for so long, I love the way she looks in that game (PS3 original) and her ways, though now I play as Jessica more with her one-legged scuba outfit because the combo of her lvl 3 assault rifle skill & lvl 3 sniper rifle skill in that setup is just right for me at this time.

I realize you're talking more personalities but who I play as most has a big effect on my leanings, though I'm not a fan of Jessica's storyline in the campaign

I spent some time with them all, especially Claire in Code Veronica and Rev 2 and I like pretty much all of them. I like Parker too for his character in Rev 1 though he's not really in the running, he's a solid all around good guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom