• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which guns are best in each mainline Resident Evil?

ReeseJamPiece

So I've recently picked up Resident Evil 4 for the second time on PSN.
It's great fun and very terrifying, however one thing that bugged me is how little item storage you have.
I've played through Resident Evil games before with these kinds of things however a lot of the ones I played had storage chests like Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 7.
So which gun should I sell/drop and which ones should I get? I don't really want to waste storage on meaningless guns that do no damage so I'm curious to see which are best.
Please let me know.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
So I've recently picked up Resident Evil 4 for the second time on PSN.
It's great fun and very terrifying, however one thing that bugged me is how little item storage you have.
I've played through Resident Evil games before with these kinds of things however a lot of the ones I played had storage chests like Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 7.
So which gun should I sell/drop and which ones should I get? I don't really want to waste storage on meaningless guns that do no damage so I'm curious to see which are best.
Please let me know.

When I would play RE4, I would keep the starting handgun (the crit upgrades are worth it if you're like me and just go for head shots). If you're not the headshot kind, the Red 9 packs a serious punch.

I always keep the bolt action rifle (in fact I only use the bolt action and handgun throughout my professional runs, save for a couple specific situations in which case I will bring the M4 shotgun for it's improved handling). I can see why people would prefer the semi auto, but for me, the bolt action is the only way to go.

Those are the must haves for me: handgun, bolt action, M4 for certain situations.

If you're newer to the game or haven't fine tuned your strategy yet, you will want to keep one of the magnums. I prefer the Broken Butterfly, but again, if you're aim is not spot on, you may want to instead get the Killer 7.

Also buy yourself a rocket launcher before boss fights to save yourself the ammo. It's usually worth it.

ReeseJamPiece

When I would play RE4, I would keep the starting handgun (the crit upgrades are worth it if you're like me and just go for head shots). If you're not the headshot kind, the Red 9 packs a serious punch.

I always keep the bolt action rifle (in fact I only use the bolt action and handgun throughout my professional runs, save for a couple specific situations in which case I will bring the M4 shotgun for it's improved handling). I can see why people would prefer the semi auto, but for me, the bolt action is the only way to go.

Those are the must haves for me: handgun, bolt action, M4 for certain situations.

If you're newer to the game or haven't fine tuned your strategy yet, you will want to keep one of the magnums. I prefer the Broken Butterfly, but again, if you're aim is not spot on, you may want to instead get the Killer 7.

Also buy yourself a rocket launcher before boss fights to save yourself the ammo. It's usually worth it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to do these once I start playing tonight. :)

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
By the time you finished RE4, you will have slots for at least 1 version of every gun in the game along with whatever ammo, grenades, and healing you want. I always buy the highest versions of each weapon I can. I like the way they handle better - The Blacktail, The Striker, The Killer 7, The TMP, The Semi-Auto Rifle.

My favorite gun in any RE game is the Magnum. It feels so good to let the destruction fly. It is particularly powerful in RE2, REmake, and RE4 (Killer7).

Rain611

You can't kill me.
By the time you finished RE4, you will have slots for at least 1 version of every gun in the game along with whatever ammo, grenades, and healing you want. I always buy the highest versions of each weapon I can. I like the way they handle better - The Blacktail, The Striker, The Killer 7, The TMP, The Semi-Auto Rifle.

My favorite gun in any RE game is the Magnum. It feels so good to let the destruction fly. It is particularly powerful in RE2, REmake, and RE4 (Killer7).

Only thing is the Broken Butterfly ultimately gets a LOT stronger than the Killer 7.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Aye, the BB does get stronger (Firepower is 50 versus the Killer7's 35).

However, the Killer7 makes more sense in a playthrough since it fires faster, reloads faster, and has more ammo slots. You don't notice the difference in fire power that much since both magnums destroy any regular enemy. Plus, with the Killer7, you can pump multiple rounds in to a boss fairly fast in comparison. The official numbers say they have the same firing speed, but I do not think that is true.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Aye, the BB does get stronger (Firepower is 50 versus the Killer7's 35).

However, the Killer7 makes more sense in a playthrough since it fires faster, reloads faster, and has more ammo slots. You don't notice the difference in fire power that much since both magnums destroy any regular enemy. Plus, with the Killer7, you can pump multiple rounds in to a boss fairly fast in comparison. The official numbers say they have the same firing speed, but I do not think that is true.

Well as I'm sure you've noticed, I prefer careful precise shots (which is why I keep the handgun for it's crit chance as opposed to the Red 9 for power, the bolt action as opposed to the semi auto rifle as it too also gets stronger, and the Broken Butterfly) as opposed to getting off as many rounds as possible. So you can have the Killer 7, semi auto and blacktail.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I am a minority on the Killer 7 pick according to my research. But I don't care. I know how to win kiddos!

D

Deleted member 21244

Resident evil 4 had little item storage? Really? Re 4 inventory is the largest inventory in the series, You can literally take at least one weapon of any tipe whit you and lot of ammo and healt and granades, you can even carry a rocket launcher if you want...

I suggest you to take one weapon of every tipe and to always take the last that is available, for example, sell the broken butterfly and take the killer 7, sell the first shotgun and get the second one than sell the second one to get the third one, do this for every weapon except the handgun, always take whit you the standard handgun because after you upgrade it ay maximum you will unlock a special upgrade that will encrise the critical headshot

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I can tell you that the LEAST effective weapon in any RE game is Claire's Crossbow in the original RE2. It does nothing to the enemies. And considering that the Leon counterpart is the shotgun, Claire really got screwed in that transaction.

But at least Claire gets the Grenade Launcher to make life a little easier.

D

Deleted member 21244

The Spark Shot in REmake2 was pretty bad too imo.
The spark shot can kill every enemy whit one hit... How can it be bad? Probably one of the best weapon in the game, you can kill the g enemies in one hit... Probably you didn't charge the weapon

Rain611

You can't kill me.
The spark shot can kill every enemy whit one hit... How can it be bad? Probably one of the best weapon in the game, you can kill the g enemies in one hit... Probably you didn't charge the weapon

You are stuck targeting 1 enemy for 6 seconds. It's prime opportunity to be attacked from all angles. And yes I did charge it.

Also it doesn't always kill g adults in one hit, especially in hardcore. Not to mention against Birkin it's pretty useless and if you do a hardcore speed run, you pretty much only fight Birkin.

D

Deleted member 21244

You are stuck targeting 1 enemy for 6 seconds. It's prime opportunity to be attacked from all angles. And yes I did charge it.

Also it doesn't always kill g adults in one hit, especially in hardcore. Not to mention against Birkin it's pretty useless and if you do a hardcore speed run, you pretty much only fight Birkin.
I use it to kill g adults in one hit in hard-core, just shoot and charge one shot in his eye and you kill him In one hit, I can confirm this since I use it personally to get rid of them in hard core difficulty

Also you can use it to easy kill boss like birkin 3 and 4, and it's not true that it take 6 second to fully charge but 4, and you can move while charging to not get attacked by other enemy, probably one of the most powerful weapon in the game...

also what you say isn't true since the spark shot is one of the main weapon used by speed runner to defeat boss in less than few minutes, this weapon is a must have to make perfect time in hard-core, just take a look a this

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Well the speed runner I watch didn't use it and neither do I. And if the G eye isn't exposed it takes more than 1 shot. I hate this weapon plain and simple.

D

Deleted member 21244

Well the speed runner I watch didn't use it and neither do I. And if the G eye isn't exposed it takes more than 1 shot. I hate this weapon plain and simple.
It take one shot, just shoot one ammo in the part in Wich the eye should be and it kills him in one shoot...
A shame you hate it, a truely powerful weapon

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I save the Sparkshot for endgame Birkin because the damage Amplification works well on him.

As for the G-spawn, I continually run past them in all of my playthroughs. Waste of ammo when that is way more scarce than healing. I can run past them and IF I get caught, I will just use a g/r herb or spray after I am out of that section.

Top Bottom