• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which campaign do you prefer in Resident Evil 1?

Cheese Mchamfield

Da man with an Icy Gaze
(Either the original or the REmake, I'm talking Remake-wise in my post)
I actually prefer Chris's scenario since I find it giving more of a survival-vibe. Which have probably something to do with having Rebecca instead of Barry. Ammo also seems to be less plentiful, forcing me to avoid enemies more often
I also think Chris does have some good perks. Like being better with weapons, having more hitpoints, flashbangs > Stun gun, lighter > lockpick since you really don't need to use old keys when you leave the mansion to the residence. The biggest problems as Chris is his inventory which makes you have to backtrack alot more and the useless Flamethrower instead of the GL. The latter being a lesser issue for me because I only need the Silver Serpent and the Riot Gun.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I've always preferred Jill's campaign, whether it's the REmake or Original.
Ontop of eight inventory slots and no small keys to speak of, I think she's the cooler character. And it doesn't hurt that she has Barry.

(But seriously, those caves in REmake with Chris are a nightmare with all those keys.)

BioLence

Jill has the more interesting cut scenes. Her inventory and utilities also makes for a more pleasant trip.

Chris's small keys, limited inventory and back tracking makes crimson head encounters more likely to happen.

I haven't compared other guns yet but when it comes to handling the samurai edge, Chris starts shooting faster than Jill does. Also, if you set up a "kill all crimson heads" mini game for yourself with both characters, that's where you're really going to see the difference on HP and weapon handling. With Jill, you're probably not going to make it out of the first wing you try to clean, and if you do, you'll be on Danger status, while with Chris you have a chance to actually kill everyone on the map.

Unknown

Is there a true canon to RE1? Except for that Chris, Jill, Barry and Rebecca surviving?

There isn't a true canon in RE1. But Chris's is closer to it than Jill's, and makes the most sense going forward because of the Chris and Wesker rivalry.

Zero and now Vendetta are also linked to Chris's campaign via Rebecca, while Jill's doesn't really continue past Barry's small cameo in 3.

HookerZombie

I perfer Jill's scenario in both games simply because I think she's a cooler character than Chris.

And I don't think any of the Resident Evil games have a true canon. I think the developers wanted to leave it up to the players to decide what really went on in the game's story.

Zacmac90

I wonder what would have happened if instead of Jill having Barry and Chris having Rebecca, it was reversed and Chris worked with Barry while Jill and Rebecca were put together

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Chris and Barry would never have gotten past the piano puzzle and the game would have ended at that point.

To answer the question, I prefer Chris's scenario in both the original and the remake, for several reasons: I prefer Chris as a character over Jill and Rebecca over Barry, I find his story slightly more interesting (although the Barry blackmail plot isn't bad either), it also makes more sense considering that Chris is the one Wesker hates the most in future games, not Jill, and it's slightly more challenging. The only thing that gets on my nerves is the item management, that's just fake difficulty if you ask me, but at least small keys stack in the inventory, and the remake slighly lessens the advantage of Jill's lockpick because it can no longer open sword doors.

Zacmac90

Chris and Barry would never have gotten past the piano puzzle and the game would have ended at that point.

To answer the question, I prefer Chris's scenario in both the original and the remake, for several reasons: I prefer Chris as a character over Jill and Rebecca over Barry, I find his story slightly more interesting (although the Barry blackmail plot isn't bad either), it also makes more sense considering that Chris is the one Wesker hates the most in future games, not Jill, and it's slightly more challenging. The only thing that gets on my nerves is the item management, that's just fake difficulty if you ask me, but at least small keys stack in the inventory, and the remake slighly lessens the advantage of Jill's lockpick because it can no longer open sword doors.
Why wouldnt Chris and Barry get pass the piano puzzle?

ArabPikachu

Is there a true canon to RE1? Except for that Chris, Jill, Barry and Rebecca surviving?

Richard Aiken died off-screen from poisoning by the snake, Yawn (this was confirmed by the "Mansion Incident" section of Umbrella Chronicles)

Forest Speyer pecked to death by crows and then mutated to a zombie attacking S.T.A.R.S. members = canon

Enrico assassinated by Albert Wesker = canon

Nightmare 1 and Nightmare 2 ("Mansion Incident" sub-scenarios of Umbrella Chronicles) served as the chronological start of the Arklay Mansion Incident, which means they are canon.

Kenneth Sullivan's death in the original Biohazard1 was essentially retconned by his death in the 2002 remake

@back on-topic

I loved Chris Redfield's scenario more and will explain why in a later post.

Last edited:

HookerZombie

I think Jill makes the game easier compared to Chris. Her only real downside is that she has less health than Chris but she can hold 8 item slots compared to Chris and his 6 item slots (why she can hold more I have no idea but I digress), she has the lockpick which makes progressing through the game a lot faster, and she has access to the grenade launcher/bazooka which is a very useful and powerful weapon.

ArabPikachu

First but not only reason why I loved Chris Redfield's scenario more is because of the character himself (this is not to say I dislike Jill Valentine).

2nd reason is because from the perspective of in-game health, Chris Redfield's scenario in Biohazard 1 remake felt like playing an adult-character but playing as Jill Valentine in that game [BH1 remake], was frustratingly similar to playing Sherry Birkin in Biohazard 2. for one example, she [Jill Valentine] dies from 3 normal human-zombie attacks on Normal difficulty and each of those attacks are equal to 2 bites in BH1 remake; that's equivalent to:

sherry-birkin-death-at-zombie-dogs.gif

3 zombie-dog attacks on Sherry Birkin

Chris Redfield health = 1400

Jill Valentine health = merely 960

1400 - 960 = 440 difference

Even though it's a videogame, giving Jill Valentine less health than Chris Redfield or for that matter, much less health than Chris Redfield is super unrealistic because last time I checked, women in most cases, are biologically stronger than adult males.

P.S. I'll try to think of more reasons in a future post.

Last edited:

Roku

I love both scenarios, but I must say that I love Jill's more. I find it more entertaining, mostly because:

- Of her weapons (I like them better, this aside, I think that they make the gameplay a bit more varied - at the least for me, since I like to experiment with them).
- Of Barry (I love Rebecca, I really do, but I have a soft spot for the Burtons - His story felt mature and his motivations realistic in Remake - I also liked the little details, for example: if you let Lisa kill him - wich I did only once to get the platinum and felt like a monster for - you can get his magnum and his family photo).
- Of Jill (Ok, listen I love RE1 Chris, like seriously he's just super cool, and his route makes more sense considering the Albert-Chris rivality, but I'm rarely satisfied with the representations of women in videogames, so when I do, find a female character that I can admire, I tend to love them a lot).
- Of her 8 items spot - sometimes, when I play as Chris it feels like I pass most of the time in the save rooms because of his limited inventory. It's not a bad thing in itself, but those 2 spots makes me enjoy the pacing of Jill's adventure a bit more.

This aside, I'll always think that Chris got the best secondary weapon, his grenades are the best thing ever.

P.s.: I think that Jill make the game easier only if you play in easy or normal mode. In the most challenging difficulties (like Real Survival), I feel like it is the other way around. Playing that mode with Chris was a bit frustating, but at least, he could take an hit, Jill on the other hand...

Last edited:

ArabPikachu

I thought that the average adult male was physically stronger

There's a difference between having greater physical strength and having a stronger immune system; I'd know from personal experience as a male who played Football in his 12th grade year; it's more difficult to heal from or let alone endure repeated hits on your body if you have an XY chromosome combination.

@back on-topic

3rd reason is because I had an easier time preventing Crimson Head mutations in Chris Redfield's scenario, which means navigation was personally less stressing in spite of his scenario having more enemies; it's strenuous when some of the zombies block my next destination (one of multiple examples is that zombie blocking the Tea Room) but it's more strenuous when those same zombies can mutate into Crimson Heads; having a lighter already attached (as opposed to searching for one in the Small Library) means I not only get to burn zombies but get to do so in an ASAP fashion; the Grenade can be used by Chris Redfield as a backup secondary weapon to kill zombies for good when the fuel canteen for your lighter is empty or worse yet, you don't have a nearby kerosene tank to fill your fuel canteen.

Top Bottom