• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Where next for the RE series?

dscross

Most Resident Evil fans, it's fair to say, either love the classic style of survival-horror (RE1-3 & CV) or action-horror / action shooters (RE 4-6).

Now, RE7 has brought a new type of survival horror to the table, which will probably please older fans more than newer fans, but it's still now more akin to survival horror titles such amnesia. Where do you think they will take it next? Do we think that this style will carry on through to RE8 or do we think they'll revert back to one of their previous styles?

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I would have never have thought that RE7 would be a first person game. Before it was released there was an article saying that it was going to be shown at Sony's show and that it was VR compatible, and I thought it was a load of rubbish.

In light of RE7 turning out the way it did, I can honestly say I don't know where the series is going to go, purely because the series does change and is inconsistent. If it goes back to the old characters then it will make RE7 seem even more out of place. If it continues with new characters, I hope they're not as bland as Ethan and Mia. As for the game play style, I'm not a fan of first person in general so I hope it doesn't continue with that, but at the same time if they don't, then again, it'll make RE7 seem even more out of place.

So yeah, who knows what Resident Evil will be from now on?

Last edited:

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
I don't think Capcom even know where they're going with the series. Seems like they're just trying different things to see what makes the most $ :p

Tbh at this stage I'd prefer if they would just keep remaking the old games and continue on the Revelations series.

dscross

As for the game play style, I'm not a fan of first person in general so I hope it doesn't continue with that, but at the same time if they don't then again, it'll make RE7 seem even more out of place.

It's funny, because I think it's scarier in some ways, but I'm not a massive fan either. But that could have been the way it was executed. I mean, some stealth games, like the original thief games for example, worked wonderfully in first person. And I think a few horror games do as well, like Amnesia.

Do you think they could mix the new first person view and old style somehow to improve it? I'm one of those freaks that think you can't beat tank controls and fixed camera angles so maybe my opinions of these things are unreliable on these things.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
It's funny, because I think it's scarier in some ways, but I'm not a massive fan either. But that could have been the way it was executed. I mean, some stealth games, like the original thief games for example, worked wonderfully in first person. And I think a few horror games do as well, like Amnesia.

Do you think they could mix the new first person view and old style somehow to improve it? I'm one of those freaks that think you can't beat tank controls and fixed camera angles so maybe my opinions of these things are unreliable on these things.
I personally found the first person a bit awkward in RE7, but then again I find most first person experiences awkward, haha. I'm just generally not a fan of first person, I've only ever played one other first person game and that was Dying Light.

I'm not really sure whether or not they'd be able to pull a mix like that off in a cohesive way. And if they did that wrong, then it would make things even more of a mess. I reckon if they get paid enough, they'll keep it first person VR.

Turo602

The King of Kings
There's nothing objectively wrong with first-person in Resident Evil 7. It's a viable gameplay style to go in for a survival horror game and it was done rather well in RE7 (even if it was a rather tame survival horror game). However, given that this is Resident Evil and has already established certain things with its fanbase, the change to first-person is very off putting. I enjoy Resident Evil's tank controls and I loved how they've been expanded in games like REmake, Resident Evil 4, and Revelations 2. Changing the gameplay to fit within a first-person perspective just didn't do it for me and felt more like a gimmick for VR more than anything else. That's why we were given a bland and faceless protagonist with Ethan. So that we could easily fill his shoes as a generic nobody, further immersing ourselves into the world of Resident Evil 7. A world that looks and feels nothing like Resident Evil.

This is not the direction I want for Resident Evil in the future, but knowing Capcom, it doesn't matter what their core fans want. They'll continue to do whatever sticks and makes them money, rather than develop a consistent and coherent franchise.

BioLence

I was pumped about TEW2 and RE7 Last DLC´s but i completely lost interest in both. All i want is my Biohazado in its true form, that´s all i want. The only chance left to get that is with RE2make, hopefully. I dream about pre rendered backgrounds with today´s technology...(drooling). Problem is, so many things can go wrong with this project that i already accept they´re gonna ruin it, but at the same time, i cannot wait to see what the hell are they doing with it.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
I would have never have thought that RE7 would be a first person game. Before it was released there was an article saying that it was going to be shown at Sony's show and that it was VR compatible, and I thought it was a load of rubbish.

In light of RE7 turning out the way it did, I can honestly say I don't know where the series is going to go, purely because the series does change and is inconsistent. If it goes back to the old characters then it will make RE7 seem even more out of place. If it continues with new characters, I hope they're not as bland as Ethan and Mia. As for the game play style, I'm not a fan of first person in general so I hope it doesn't continue with that, but at the same time if they don't, then again, it'll make RE7 seem even more out of place.

So yeah, who knows what Resident Evil will be from now on?

I agree, hope the characters won't be bland as Mia and Ethan, there wasn't any kind of character growth or developing to actually feel something for them, unlike original cast. As for the gameplay-wise I am also not a fan of first person, and god I hope they won't continue it :( I just can't get into fp

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I'm just along for the ride.

Resident Evil 4 was a radical departure from the games before it and ended up defining a whole console generation's shooters. RE7 just might end up doing the same for VR action games.
If the trend continues of radically changing the gameplay every three numbered entries continues, then RE8 and 9 will be VR, too.

Ethan Winters

Ito Junji Addict, Lupin Enthusiast
Tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles are my high so I would love to see them return. But because that is highly unlikely (virtually impossible), I have no idea where they could take the series. I wasn't a huge fan of 7 and I didn't really find it scary. It was a fun game, believe me, but it didn't feel like my beloved Resident Evil. But it is okay to try new things. I personally think Revelations should be for fans of 4-6 and the main series to be horror. But god, I hope they ditch the first-person. And make cooler main characters. Zoe was the only cool hero.

dscross

Tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles are my high so I would love to see them return. But because that is highly unlikely (virtually impossible), I have no idea where they could take the series. I wasn't a huge fan of 7 and I didn't really find it scary. It was a fun game, believe me, but it didn't feel like my beloved Resident Evil. But it is okay to try new things. I personally think Revelations should be for fans of 4-6 and the main series to be horror. But god, I hope they ditch the first-person. And make cooler main characters. Zoe was the only cool hero.

I thought Revelations was ok - better than 4-6 at any rate, but yeah, it would be good if they kept that style for the action junkies.

I miss the old style as well, but I can't see them going back to it yet... but hopefully I'm wrong. You have to wonder how they'll handle RE2 Remake. I've a suspicion from what I've read that they'll try to utilise VR and so will make it First Person but I really hope I'm wrong and they make it more like the RE1 Remake.

Ethan Winters

Ito Junji Addict, Lupin Enthusiast
I thought Revelations was ok - better than 4-6 at any rate, but yeah, it would be good if they kept that style for the action junkies.

I miss the old style as well, but I can't see them going back to it yet... but hopefully I'm wrong. You have to wonder how they'll handle RE2 Remake. I've a suspicion from what I've read that they'll try to utilise VR and so will make it First Person but I really hope I'm wrong and they make it more like the RE1 Remake.

I agree with all of this. I was never a huge fan of any main title RE that was made after Code Veronica. 4 was alright and I don't hate it but it wasn't the best game ever. I liked Revelations a bit but enjoyed 2 far more due to Claire and Barry. And Sherry was cool in 6.

But anyways, back to the topic at hand -

dear god, if they make RE2 be first-person I will be so depressed. I desperately want it to be like the REMake and 0 HD. That'd be coolest thing ever.

MisterScott

We are probably going to get two sequels to Resident Evil 7 and possibly a spin off and/or remake because think about it the whole franchise seems to have "trilogies" with distinct gameplay styles, the very first game (not the remake I am referring to the one which had the best actors in the world and was scary as hell because of the controls alone) had two sequels which formed a trilogy with zero and code Veronica as spin offs with the Remake of the first game the second trilogy started with 4 had a different camera system and was more action packed than scary and was followed by 4 and 5 with revelations as spin offs so I think the same pattern would happen with the current trilogy which has a drastically different camera system and gameplay and the gameplay and atmosphere has features of the first and second trilogy.

MisterScott

When I downloaded the remake despite the great graphics and realistic gore it actually wasn't as scary because the new controls made dodging hunters too easy.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
When I downloaded the remake despite the great graphics and realistic gore it actually wasn't as scary because the new controls made dodging hunters too easy.

Full 3D is for the newbies. Plus, tank controls are still mapped to the D-pad regardless of whether you have full 3D on or off, so I say no harm.

BioLence

Full 3D is for the newbies. Plus, tank controls are still mapped to the D-pad regardless of whether you have full 3D on or off, so I say no harm.

Yes, classic controls are the way to go. However, speed runners do have alternate controls on solely for the sake of speed. They use it for quick turns in certain situations, for everything else they use the D-Pad.

WeskerLives2015

Honestly in my opinion, I feel like they are going ditch the whole first person horror style. I think that we will also see some main characters in the next installment. I like Chris but I feel like for the next installment that they should put some more of the other main characters in, such as Leon as we haven't seen him since Resident Evil 6. Unless you want to count Vendetta. I feel like Resident Evil is sort of having an identity crisis at the moment.

MisterScott

Honestly in my opinion, I feel like they are going ditch the whole first person horror style. I think that we will also see some main characters in the next installment. I like Chris but I feel like for the next installment that they should put some more of the other main characters in, such as Leon as we haven't seen him since Resident Evil 6. Unless you want to count Vendetta. I feel like Resident Evil is sort of having an identity crisis at the moment.

I think the problem with the new horror style is that they in my opinion are pushing to make Resident Evil a more gritty realistic type of horror like for example The Walking Dead TV show when Resident Evil was never meant to be realistic to me it always had a old school marvel dc comic book feel to understand where I am coming from I could give multiple examples but for simplicity and to make this short just look at the original Resident Evil from 1996 the Mansion was creepy and yet is was well lit up and you could make out everything and look at the Uniforms that the STARS members wear they have colourful body armour with bright non tactical colours on their uniforms like white red and orange which would make them stick out and Jill wears a beret instead of a ballistic helmet with no vest and they use weapons that a real police department would never use like knives , explosive and acid rounds for grenade launchers and a military rocket launcher and no SWAT team would ever use Barrys Python so they look more like a GI Joe style unit than real cops also look at the the monsters like the Giant Spiders and the Giant snake those are usually something you see in a old fashioned budget horror film or comic not as often in modern horror movie and the tyrant while he obviously looks like a mutant he has a ripped bodybuilder physique and a square jawed masculine face like a supervillain so while I would like more realistic gameplay and and graphics I wouldn't want the style to become too down to earth otherwise it would feel very generic or plain and it would literally feel like one fictional universe transforming into another.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I can see where some fans find RE7 appealing in terms of design, but if they continue the series on this track and don’t bring the focus back on the core characters, then the next sequel(s) will be sitting on store shelves rather than my own shelf collecting dust, like RE7 is currently doing.

Top Bottom