• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Operation Raccoon City What exactly makes this game non-canon?

BountyHunter

I read somewhere that this game isn't considered canon. I'm wondering, just exactly what continuity mistakes there are that make it not fit with the main series?

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
It was made to be a "what-if" scenario. None of the characters from 2 and 3 ever met any of the new characters in this game during that timeline. The color of the virus is different, too. The game is more like a mixture between the games and the live-action movies, not canon to either but has elements from both.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
The game is more like a mixture between the games and the live-action movies, not canon to either but has elements from both.

The Outbreak series even borrows the Resident Evil logo from the movies.
In the U.S., anyway.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
The Outbreak series even borrows the Resident Evil logo from the movies.
In the U.S., anyway.

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg
That's true.
With ORC though, Nemesis has the design that his counterpart in the movie did, not 3 or Umbrella Chronicles, and the T-Virus is blue like it was in the movies, as opposed to the green in the games.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Perhaps more proof that ORC was intended to be a third Outbreak type of game.

And failed spectacularly.

BountyHunter

Is that all? A couple of design differences? Besides those, is there anything storywise that says it couldn't have occurred as a side story to the main series?

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Is that all? A couple of design differences? Besides those, is there anything storywise that says it couldn't have occurred as a side story to the main series?
As I said in my first post, the characters from 2 and 3 never encountered any of the new characters.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
As I said in my first post, the characters from 2 and 3 never encountered any of the new characters.
That, and the fact that you can kill off the main characters of the core series. Unless, you know, you stop playing halfway through because the game bores you to tears. Or the crappy cover system f**** you over and gets you killed one too many times and you launch your controller. Or the fact that the game was such a wasted opportunity that you eat the disc out of frustration.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
Yeah, but you don't have to go down that route.
True, but in the context of the whole games premise, your the bad guys, so why wouldn't you?
It's just a shame that Slant 6 screwed the pooch with ORC, because it does have some glimmers of potential in amongst the murk (almost all of which stem from the core idea of working for Umbrella), but they all got buried under a ton of terrible development choices.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Nope. The others just explained the real reason to you several times.

D

Deleted member 21244

I think the real reason is just because ppl don't like the game. Lol
The game isn't Canon Capcom itself say it... Also it contradict the event from resident evil 2 and 3... There is a mission in Whic you must pursue leon soon after he had the car accident whit claire, this alone make this game non Canon since leon was never followed by any soldier from the uss after the car accident in re 2, he just went to the station...
Probably just the first two level could be semi Canon but the rest Is completely non Canon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom