• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Do You Think About Silent Hill?

Mountie

Ironically I didn't like the games but really liked the movies compared to the Resident Evil movies. They were more true to the games even though I didn't care for the games.

But I knew the story as I played the games and watched them years later on YouTube. Ironically most people didn't seem to find them good.

But as far as the games are concerned, I'm not a fan. All those dark lengthy corridors don't appeal to me. I played 1 all the way. The second one I played part of.

Same for the third one.

The best game similar I found to Resident Evil was The X-Files: Resist or Serve. Some footage of that game:

S.T.A.R.S.4892

Those games are okay, I just don't really care for them. They get brought up in every Resident Evil circle for some reason and I guess I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

They get brought up in every Resident Evil circle for some reason and I guess I just don't get it.

Same genre, which is relatively small and Silent Hill was designed as a competitor to Resident Evil, as well as Parasite Eve. Silent Hill gained a substantial fanbase but Parasite Eve did not, alas. Parasite Eve and Dino Crisis got the short end of the stick in that timeframe. It wasn't until The Evil Within, which was designed by Shinji Makami at Tango Gameworks many many years later, that saw another substantial entry to the genre. Personally, I did not find The Evil Within particularly remarkable but a lot of people seem to like it so I'll leave it at that.

Murderer Enshrined

The Resident Evil cinema saga should have been horror flicks, not action movies.

Silent Hill, on the other hand, I still have the Blu Ray disc of the original Silent Hill movie.

Very cool movie.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I've been doing a lot of reminiscing on Silent Hill lately. It's bitter sweet to think of all the potential that is left within the series/lore and how the series has become a ghost since the cancelation of Silent Hills.

As far as my favorites go- I love SH3 and SH4: The Room almost equally.

SH3 was where it all began for me with the series. I played it right around the time the game released- shortly after I completed Code Veronica for the first time. I'm surprised I even played through this game back then because I remember being terrified to even go around the corners on multiple occasions (with the sounds of the radio going off and then those monsters that sounded like chainsaws!).
The game is just so atmospheric (granted they all arguably are) and its graphics still hold up even by today's standards. I adore Heather's fiery personality as well as locations like the mall (especially right before it transforms into the nightmare world), subway and amusement park. They're such iconic set pieces that are on the same level as that of the Spencer Mansion for me.

SH4 has some great atmospheric locations too but the general story and lore within this entry is what I love the most about it (but the gameplay is repetitive with all the backtracking you have to do). It is a severely underrated entry- imo.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
It's always bittersweet to revisit Silent Hill these days, but I think we've reached a point where it's been so long since the last game (not to mention last good game) that I'm actually happy that the series has been put on a definitive rest. After all, no more games equals no more disappointments. In turn, the older games become more legendary and special.

Last time I revisited the series was in 2020, when I played 1, 2, 3 and 4 back-to-back. Sadly, my PS2 gave up after that which means that I'm stuck with the awful "HD" versions for SH2 and SH3 for the PS3. Luckily, the SH1 version for the PS3 is a solid port, but unfortunately there's no port of SH4 for the PS3.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I was considering purchasing the HD Collection but then I saw it was still $100 for just those two games. I’ve continuously heard poor things about it so I’ll hold off a bit longer.

Here’s hoping my PS2 is still kicking because the last time I turned it on it was making a lot of noise. Last time I played any of the originals was probably a good 5 or 6 years ago when I started a new play through of SH4.

Downpour was another one I had also played around that time… it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good either. The monsters were very bland. I’d say Homecoming is the better SH game out of the three games that came out have Team Silent (Downpour and Origins).

I can’t say I’m happy that the series has been put on the back burner though. Yeah the last few games, outside of Team Silent, were subpar but I was completely intrigued with P.T. and wanted to see more story development on that house and Silent Hills.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

He reminds me of Jack Ma, Chinese megabillionaire who kept asserting that whatever he does actually matters....until the CPC finally got tired of his antics and had him sacked, something that very rarely happens in US...

On topic though, even though that is fake, theoretically, if that did happen, how would Silent Hill fans take it? The series is in a coma, so would Musk acquisition be better than nothing?

Jonipoon

Even if it definitely sounds like something Elon Musk would do, he wouldn't do it for Silent Hill since he's not into those type of games. He's more into shooter games that lean into the sci-fi genre.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
It’d be the first time we’d see rusty, broken down Teslas lining the streets.

If nothing else, he’s got the funds to get some good talent involved

Dr. Cheesesteak

What do you think of the Silent Hill franchise? What are your favorite games in the franchise and which ones are your least favorite and why?
I love Silent Hill. In fact, I'd say I rank it higher than RE on my "franchise list". SH2 has some of the most memorable moments I've experienced in gaming, especially the rowing across Toluca Lake. And Pyramidhead is one of my favorite video game characters. However, I'd actually say The Room is actually my favorite SH game lol. I don't know, just something about the room concept and, really, Walter Sullivan as the antagonist just resonates w/ me more.

I have played the main 4 and Downpour only. I'd have to say probably Downpour and SH3 are tied for my least favorite, however, I still liked both quite a bit. I do have Homecoming, but have yet to play it. Maybe I should soon...

Jonipoon

I also rank Silent Hill higher than RE on my favorite franchise list, but that has more to do with nostalgia. My favorite aspect of the Silent Hill games was always the story and the atmosphere, whereas I've had more fun in terms of gameplay when it comes to Resident Evil. Plus you could sit down and immerse yourself into the lore of Silent Hill for days, whereas for Resident Evil all you need to do is to watch a 2 hour explanation video and you'll get basically everything about the lore.

Jonipoon

So… we might be getting a new SH game after all?
Even if it’s true, it looks like crap based solely on that ”I hate myself” sticker which indicates that this game is yet another take on the depression theme from SH2. Been there done that. I’m sick of it.

Most likely however, these photos are leaked images from a pitch project to Konami that were never greenlit. So it’s probably not in development any longer.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Even if it’s true, it looks like crap based solely on that ”I hate myself” sticker which indicates that this game is yet another take on the depression theme from SH2. Been there done that. I’m sick of it.

Most likely however, these photos are leaked images from a pitch project to Konami that were never greenlit. So it’s probably not in development any longer.
Yeah, I get what you mean. A lot of themes from SH2 are overused to the point that it cheapens the entire experience. Granted I do feel like each game sort of revolves around individuals with very troubled pasts- to some extent anyway.

Jonipoon

Yeah, I get what you mean. A lot of themes from SH2 are overused to the point that it cheapens the entire experience. Granted I do feel like each game sort of revolves around individuals with very troubled pasts- to some extent anyway.
According to people at Silent Hill Heaven forums whom has connections to the leakers, the images are legit and we are actually getting not one but two Silent Hill games.

Jesus. After all these years...

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
Even less than RE4, SH2 does not need a remake. But I will gladly welcome a new mainline game, once that is a sequel and not a reboot.

Silent Hill is great, I love it as much as Resident Evil, and have always been scared more by it, until Village. For those who haven’t played SH games, the whole House Beneviento section of Village, that’s what it’s like, except for a whole game.

Ridley Lockhart

I was anxious to play the series, supposedly one the best horror games. I had Silent Hill 2, but the disc was really scratched and wouldn't play so i never got to really get into it.

Top Bottom