• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Weird control choices?

vassock

Is it just me or did they really make some silly decisions regarding control options? First, the two extra mouse buttons on the side of many mice are not detected. I still managed to get them to work using AutoHotKey, though.

Second, the options are set by default to use different keys for fire and contextual action. Contextual action only works when not in aiming mode, and fire only works in aiming mode. So...why is it set by default to be two different buttons? Why not just have the left mouse button be fire when in aiming mode and contextual action when not in aiming mode? You know, LIKE THE WAY IT WAS IN RESIDENT EVIL 2, 3 AND 4?! I ended up binding the same key to both actions, and despite their warnings, it appears to work flawlessly so far.

I have a PS controller. Does anyone know if it feels better with that or with mouse+keyboard?

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
When I had a go last weekend, I found it really hard to get used to the new PS controls... it used to be R1 to aim, + X to shoot in EVERY main series game up to that one... why did it need changing??

vassock

They separated the "interact" and "fire" actions so they are, by default, bound to different buttons. It's a totally new feature. In all previous games, the same button was used. When it was pressed in walking mode, it interacted (open doors, climb stairs, pick up items). When pressed in aiming mode, it fired. This worked great and was a great design choice.

Now, the fire button (left mouse button) is totally useless when not in aiming mode and the interact button (another button used often and close by) is useless in aiming mode. It makes no sense and is a terrible design choice. Thankfully, the config in the PC version allows built-in configuring of two actions to the same button, essentially making the controls (that part of them) feel just like previous titles.

Top Bottom