• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Resident Evil opinions thread.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
I saw this thread and I just have to post in it. Oh gosh I have so many

1. Jill is the worst and most overrated female lead in the series, especially in terms of personality, well outside of Re3, a.k.a the only game that she was a rootable lead in but crazy enough....
2. The best presentation of Jill's character was in Re5, ironically the game in which she is a side character.
3. Leon's personality in Re4 (and Damnation as they are similar) is his worse one. So damn cheesy and try hard. People hate Jake for this, yet where is the hate for this Leon?
4. Leon's best personality is his personality in Darkside Chronicles. He's really likeable there.
5. I preferred Chris's game in Re1/ReMake over Jill's. Hey, I like a challenge and I like Rebecca more than Barry.
6. Barry is kind of overrated as a character (I like Barry but I don't see this super badass guy most people do).
7. Hunk is beyond overrated as a character. How on earth is this guy so popular among the masses?
8. Ada has become a Mary-Sue over the years and honestly is no worse than Alice from the movies.
9. The Chris and Wesker rivalry felt so forced. Why did Wesker only hate Chris? All the surviving STARS members ruined his plans by surviving in the first place.
10. Barry, despite being overrated to me, was the saving grace in Jill's story in Re1/ReMake.

11. A character like Rebecca is great character for this type of genre. She has just enough skills to get by, yet because she is a rookie, she's more vulnerable, thus she can show fear and make mistakes. This makes her more realistic and relatable than half of the cast.
12. Speaking of Rebecca, she is one of the most likeable characters in this series.
13. Resident Evil Zero is not a terrible game. In fact I would dare say it's good.
14. Resident Evil ReMake and Re2 are good, yet overrated, especially ReMake.
15. I blame ReMake for Zero's sales. People claim Re4 helped Re5 sell, yet I think ReMake hurt Zero's sales.
16. Claire (despite me liking her a lot), abilities and skills are overdone. They say Chris trained her, yet half of the stuff we see her do, we never saw with Chris, especially in the pre Re4 games (Code Veronica opening anyone?).
17. Wesker had no business being brought back to life.
18. Jessica (from Revelations) is a better spy and double agent then Ada.
19. Leon and Ada's "relationship" is one of the worst things about this series.

20. Excella shouldn't have died until a later game. She had potential to be a serious side villian.

21. Parker was the best character in Revelations.
22. Even then, Barry should have been in Parker's place, especially since it has been said that he was an inspiration for Parker.
23. Chris and Jill were pointless in Revelations. They really should not have been in that game.
24. Re3 is a better SH game then Re2 and Code Veronica.
25. Sherry in Re6 is Rebecca 2.0 with the luxury of having better writing behind her. It's funny how so many love Sherry yet don't care for Rebecca despite the glaring similarities between the two.
26. Honestly outside of some personality issues, Helena is a pretty good example of what a strong female lead should be.
27. Jake got the best character development out of anyone in this series, despite it being so typical and obvious.
28. Sheva is a good character and has the best and most detailed backstory out of any character in this series.
29. Barry and Rebecca should both be more important at this point. How did they become less important than Chris and Jill? They were in the same mansion, fighting the same enemies, dealing with the same betrayal. In fact, Barry was betrayed more than any of them.
30. Mercenaries > Raid Mode

31. Rachael (Revelations) is ridiculously overrated. I liked that she showed fear, but some people act like she was the most mysterious and interesting person in the game, when all she was was poorly written.
32. Jessica and Raymond especially, really aren't all that interesting (there is slight interest, but really small) outside of that open ending from Revelations. In fact I'm sure most people wouldn't even want to see them again if it wasn't for that. I know I wouldn't (yes, I would like to see them return, but only because I hate seeing characters being left open).
33. All the forgotten and "one off" characters fate's should be closed in one way or another.
34. Rebecca (or anybody else) really should have been in the second cgi film. Why Leon and Ada when they were about to be in Re6 and then Damnation didn't even tie into Re6. Waste, man, wasted opportunity.
35. All of the newer characters are more detailed than the classic characters. You can accredit it to the writers starting to give a damn about the writing, but it still doesn't change the fact that Helena is more detailed than Jill, or Piers more than Leon for instance.
36. Hating new characters because they are new is stupid.
37. Re4 and Re6 are tied for worse story ever.
38. Ashley was not that bad of a character. Yeah I didn't like her personality, but I can't hate a character for playing her role, which was a defenseless college student with no combat experience, to perfection. If she started doing roundhouse kicks, I would have been insulted.
39. Ashley's playable sections was the only thing Resident Evil about Re4 outside of the Leon and Ada characters.

40. I like Billy a lot, but the guy was nothing more than a glorified bodyguard in Re Zero. In fact, he should have A. been a side character (who was a bad guy) that pops up now and again and B. been replaced with someone like Richard.

41. Claire getting a passive job was kind of ridiculous, especially when you realize that Sherry, the girl she protected, became an active government agent.
42. Sherry having healing powers is ridiculous.
43. Carlos should be a part of the BSAA.
44. People who talk about the controls from RE Zero-CV are ridiculous. Hey, Re4 and Re5 control the exact same way. Only the camera is different.

45. Voice actors D.C Douglas and Roger Craig Smith (Wesker and Chris respectively) were the best thing to happen to those characters. Gave them both more personality than they ever had before Re5.
46. Re2 Ada > Re4, Damnation, and Re6 Ada.
47. Sheva should definitely make a return. If Chris (a North American officer) can be seen in Europe and China, why can't Sheva travel.
48. Jill not showing up in Re6 didn't affect me at all. In fact, I didn't really care.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anymore I will be back.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I saw this thread and I just have to post in it. Oh gosh I have so many [...]

OH MY GOD! :confused: Apart from a few of your points (like Parker being the best character in Revelations, or Ada being Mary-Sue, which is a more suitable title for Jill in my opinion), that could have been my post! I couldn't agree more with most of your points, like Sherry being basically a second Rebecca, Hunk and Barry being overrated, Jill being at her best in RE3, Leon and Ada's relationship being annoying, Sheva and Ashley actually being good characters, etc. You also mention a lot of little things I never really thought about, but still agree on.
Are you sure you're not my long-lost twin?

weskerondope

i agree with most opinions too, but i still like barry a lot, mostly as a comic relief kinda guy

also the reason sheva maybe cant travel is maybe cause its harder for africans to get visa to other countries than for americans? (yeah riddiculus explanation but its the only reasonably one i can think off)

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
OH MY GOD! :confused: Apart from a few of your points (like Parker being the best character in Revelations, or Ada being Mary-Sue, which is a more suitable title for Jill in my opinion), that could have been my post! I couldn't agree more with most of your points, like Sherry being basically a second Rebecca, Hunk and Barry being overrated, Jill being at her best in RE3, Leon and Ada's relationship being annoying, Sheva and Ashley actually being good characters, etc. You also mention a lot of little things I never really thought about, but still agree on.
Are you sure you're not my long-lost twin?
Maybe in a past life we were twins. Nah, but great minds just think alike bud.

You say Parker isn't the best character in Revelations. Who was to you?
Yeah, Re6 Sherry is a Rebecca clone yet she is loved or at least liked for the most part and Rebecca hated for the most part. Why, I have no idea.
Hunk, the dude is not mysterious, he's terrible. I guess I'm just not easily impressed by a masked face and a neckbreaker.
I like that Barry is a family man, but outside of terrible dialogue in the original Re1, he has no more personality than anyone else, ReMake proves this, at least to me it does. Still, Barry is more likeable than most of the cast though.
Yes Jill as a lead was at her best in RE3, however as a character, she was at her best in RE5.
Sheva is excellent, Ashley isn't great but she isn't the worse thing ever. It's like gamers blame her for sucking so bad at the game (she only screamed help when the player was not on his/her job).
Leon and Ada's "relationship" involves some of the worse story telling I've ever seen. Rebecca and Billy came across as a better couple and they were just friends.

i agree with most opinions too, but i still like barry a lot, mostly as a comic relief kinda guy

also the reason sheva maybe cant travel is maybe cause its harder for africans to get visa to other countries than for americans? (yeah riddiculus explanation but its the only reasonably one i can think off)
LOL @ your Sheva explanation. I don't think that's true bc didn't Sheva once go to America based on her backstory?

It's okay to like Barry, he's still better than half the cast, even if he is a little overrated.

Mr.R

To be honest, this was the thread that brought me to this forum, because something I googled before. Anyway, always wanted to give my take on this. Here it is:

1 - My favorite character is Leon, and that being said....I hate Leon and Ada's "relationship", any little chemistry they had in Re2 and 4 is dead by Damnation and 6. Is more of the same, it's boring and it'll never go anywhere. I really hope that Capcom drops this. Leon & Helena had more chemistry than Leon & Ada in 6, for God's sake.

2 - I really dislike what Ada had become. In 2 & 4 she was kinda of a Black Widow (comics version) character. Morally ambiguous, but still "good" and with a hint of mistery. Now she's a discount Batman, with a sting of Mary Sue. Honestly? Her portrait in RE6 reminded me a lot of Alice...

3 - Jill. Why we like Jill? Probably for nostalgia, because she still has zero personality. She's just...a soldier...and that is it. She's meh. She talks in a monotone that never change. She's.....boring. Chris was like that until Roger Craig Smith became his VO. Maybe Jill needs some good VA.

4 - Resident Evil 6 isn't as bad (for me) as everyone says it is. I have much more fun playing 6 than 5, specially if I'm playing alone. The story may be bad, but the control is awesome. The fact that you can run, roll and dodge is amazing for a TPS.

5 - I don't want to see certains character returns. I mean...it doesn't make sense for people like Carlos or Billy (wanted people, by the way), to surface on the BSAA or something like that fighting bioterrorism, like a big happy anti-terrorism family. It makes much more sense for them to disappear and that's it. An epilogue would be nice, but no more than that.

6 - Resident Evil Code Veronica for me is the worst classic RE by a very big margin. I don't like the cheesiness of the story (Seriously...I don't understand people who complain about Saddler, but likes Alexia.), I don't like the fact that it has less features than RE3, I don't like the zombie's shaddy animations and I think Darkside's Chronicles's take on the story was much better. Specially psycho Alfred.

7 - Hunk is overrated. As fas as we know, we only know one of his missions. He got a cool look. That's all.

And...yeah, I think this is it. xD

Reactions: Hel

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
3 - Jill. Why we like Jill? Probably for nostalgia, because she still has zero personality. She's just...a soldier...and that is it. She's meh. She talks in a monotone that never change. She's.....boring. Chris was like that until Roger Craig Smith became his VO. Maybe Jill needs some good VA.
I actually disagree. Jill definitely has some personality, she's always at least been determined. She likes to make little jokes here and there, but she tries to be more professional. I think it has little to do with her VAs, I think the directors purposely direct them to not show much emotion. Most of the VAs she's had show a lot of emotion in other things.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
I'd much rather have Dead Aim remaster or remake than Outbreak HD. Multiplayer RE is a bad idea but I still enjoyed 5 and 6.

4 - Resident Evil 6 isn't as bad (for me) as everyone says it is. I have much more fun playing 6 than 5, specially if I'm playing alone. The story may be bad, but the control is awesome. The fact that you can run, roll and dodge is amazing for a TPS.
I agree.

Last edited:

Lithium

1 - My favorite character is Leon, and that being said....I hate Leon and Ada's "relationship", any little chemistry they had in Re2 and 4 is dead by Damnation and 6. Is more of the same, it's boring and it'll never go anywhere. I really hope that Capcom drops this. Leon & Helena had more chemistry than Leon & Ada in 6, for God's sake.

This! Good to know I'm not the only one :)
He's a government agent and she's a black op working for... whoever. To be with each other at least one of them would have to throw away his/her whole life and for what they "have" this would be a way too high price to pay.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
1. Pretty much all of my thoughts on Wesker- between my perception of him being gay and also wanting him to be brought back.

2. Even though a few other people have stated this on here- I actually liked RE6.

3. As a fan who first played through the originals, I actually really love that Capcom went the more action route in terms of gameplay.

4. I really like the Ada character and enjoy her personality over just about every other character. She's a lone wolf who is calm, cool, witty, and sarcastic. She has more personality than Jill- especially based off of the recent games.

5. My wanting to see Chris in every single game because Chris.

Last edited:

Sovietwave_01

16. Claire (despite me liking her a lot), abilities and skills are overdone. They say Chris trained her, yet half of the stuff we see her do, we never saw with Chris, especially in the pre Re4 games (Code Veronica opening anyone?).
I'm pretty sure she is much more resourceful compared to Chris. That's why she can survive Code Veronica's opening.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
So this old thread got bumped ey? Might as well write something, although I'm not really sure if my opinions are considered "unpopular" in some parts to the fandom.

- RE4 was the start of the decline of the series

- Chris is the least interesting main character

- Resident Evil Zero should never have been made

RedfieldFanboi

Time to lose any of the friends I might have...

1. Leon stopped being Leon with RE4. Since then he went from semi-relatable good guy to untouchable action star and was only redeemed by his characterization in RE6.

2. Jill is... Jill is... Nope, can't come up with anything. She's there, I guess, but with no personality to speak of.

3. Chris and Jill were only ever platonic. No romance there... At all. And I'm not just saying that because I ship Chris and Piers. While I might want Chris to be gay, it's more likely he's honestly not at all interested in anyone romantically or even sexually.

4. Zero has a terrible narrative. It's also not very fun.

5. The series started shifting towards action with RE2 - as the director was a Hollywood action movie fan and did not at all like horror.

6. RE 5 is an awesome story - and probably one of the best in the series. The final confrontation in the volcano, including the stupid boulder are terrible - but so what. All games have something.

7. RE 6 is not as bad as some would have you believe - and it's a better game than Zero.

8. RE: Nemesis is barely more than a side story to RE 2 and it's not that important to the overall series narrative. The best thing it does is give Jill fans some Jill, but little else.

Ikawaru

Whelp, I guess 'liking' Zero is unpopular opinion so I add my contribution with that :p

I did like it when it came out on Gamecube (Yes I'm pretty old) fairly reasonably but I thought the 2 character mechanic was a bit banal, I did not however, like it's disruption of RE1's lore, that always bothered me but I did like the atmosphere and the puzzle solving bits. James Marcus' backstory and the whole training facility idea was actually quite good, but perhaps it could have been done in a different iteration and away from the Spencer mansion rather than cramming it into that time and setting.

I'm now playing the HD Remaster and I like it even more because the graphics are augmented quite a bit and I'm learning to play more strategically, like using only one character to clear out rooms, giving them specific tasks and tossing equipment back and forth, it really gives me food for thought on how I want to complete each area and that's what I really like about the series replay value. Things like making sure you pick up the Green Chemical in the nursing area so you dont have to backtrack really adds depth to it.

I don't know despite it hurting the integrity of RE1 I just find it a charming little game with enough depth and variety to keep me coming back to it fairly frequently. I also like Billy Coen's backstory as an Army Officer who got shafted by Uncle Sam, one of my favorite characters, despite maybe kinda having that "Prison Pimp" vibe.

D

Deleted member 22385

I like the new Resident Evil movie and RE6 is a better tps compared to its predecessors. Chris is the main protag of the series and everyone else is just a side character. Leon is lame and reminds me of Sonic the hedgehog. over the shoulder and first person are superior to fixed camera angles. RE0 is the only good classic RE game. Ada would beat Jill and Claire in a fist fight.

Top Bottom