• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) Top Selling RE games New #1!

Ridley Lockhart

Top five best-selling Resident Evil games

1. Resident Evil 2 - 12.60 million
  2. Resident Evil 7 - 12.40 million
  3. Resident Evil 5 - 8.80 million
  4. Resident Evil 6 - 8.80 million
  5. Resident Evil Village - 8.30 million
I had no idea RE7 was so high on the list, but evidently RE2R is currently #1. I can't argue with that, it's really ReAlLy good.

If i were to make a list of myost favorite RE games, it prolly wouldn't look like this.

I haven't played Village and haven't even completed RE7. But with sales like those, it shows why Crapcom keeps doing what they're doing. Any ideas?

Penny for your thoughts.

IMG_20230803_191242.jpg

Turo602

The King of Kings
I knew this day would come and hopefully it stays that way as it only reinforces just how much Resident Evil 2 remake means to a lot of us fans of the classic games. Especially after years of the more action oriented co-op Resident Evil games being the best selling and more recently, the first-person, Resident Evil by design, and not much else, Resident Evil 7.

As a diehard fan of the series, it certainly has been frustrating seeing how much journalists and social media bought into the whole "Resident Evil 7 saved the franchise" narrative just for purely being a survival horror game despite reaching popularity in the same manner that RE5 and RE6 did, by tapping into the popular trends of the time and with a recognizable and reputable name like Resident Evil, would automatically put it head over heels above the rest.

Resident Evil 2 on the other hand was a much more genuine take on Resident Evil that many fans, myself included, felt was the proper direction for the series that now thanks to games like Resident Evil 5 and 7, is much more mainstream and has a lot more eyes on it. So to see Resident Evil 2 doing this well with the same casual audience who dismissed the original games is a great thing. It's just a shame that there hasn't been anything like it since, so here's to hoping that a Code Veronica remake can take us back to that style of Resident Evil or even influence the direction of the main series.

Ikawaru

Penny for your thoughts.

Real life is not social media, if it was, 'Village' would be #1 by a wide margin.

Also, upon checking Capcom's stock index around the time RE5 came out, it's painfully obvious that that type of formula is what kept the franchise and probably the entire company alive at that time period, if not for action RE, Capcom would have been bought out or dismantled a long time ago I would wager. Now with 'Monster Hunter' another massively successful franchise for Capcom and the success of RE2R being #1 in the franchise they have no excuse for poor quality action RE games like RE4 RE5 and RE6 which despite being reasonably fun to play at the time have aged poorly.

Anyone who says the gameplay of these games holds up today is frankly a moron, or really needs to broaden their horizons and play better quality survival action games.

RipvanX

This seems to be based off singular releases and not based on combined lifetime sales across all platforms. Capcoms sales on their main site do not include multiple console releases for RE4-6. Although it’s still quite impressive that RE:2 and RE7 climbed to such high numbers. RE5 was still sitting at the top back in February 2022 and I imagine that number has gone up a bit more.

1. RE5 – 12.8m
2. RE4 – 11.4m
3. RE7 – 10.6m
4. RE6 – 10.4m
5. RE:2 – 9.3m

Credit goes to cvxfreak.

Last edited:

Wesker90

This seems to be based off singular releases and not based on combined lifetime sales across all platforms. Capcoms sales in their main site do not include multiple console releases for RE4-6. Although it’s still quite impressive that RE:2 and RE7 climbed to such high numbers. RE5 was still sitting at the top back in February 2022 and I imagine that number has gone up a bit more.

1. RE5 – 12.8m
2. RE4 – 11.4m
3. RE7 – 10.6m
4. RE6 – 10.4m
5. RE:2 – 9.3m

Credit goes to cvxfreak.
This makes more sense tbf and naturally Capcom wouldn't dare hesitate to not take advantage of an RE5 Remake even if some do not desire it too soon.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I knew this day would come and hopefully it stays that way as it only reinforces just how much Resident Evil 2 remake means to a lot of us fans of the classic games. Especially after years of the more action oriented co-op Resident Evil games being the best selling and more recently, the first-person, Resident Evil by design, and not much else, Resident Evil 7.

As a diehard fan of the series, it certainly has been frustrating seeing how much journalists and social media bought into the whole "Resident Evil 7 saved the franchise" narrative just for purely being a survival horror game despite reaching popularity in the same manner that RE5 and RE6 did, by tapping into the popular trends of the time and with a recognizable and reputable name like Resident Evil, would automatically put it head over heels above the rest.

Resident Evil 2 on the other hand was a much more genuine take on Resident Evil that many fans, myself included, felt was the proper direction for the series that now thanks to games like Resident Evil 5 and 7, is much more mainstream and has a lot more eyes on it. So to see Resident Evil 2 doing this well with the same casual audience who dismissed the original games is a great thing. It's just a shame that there hasn't been anything like it since, so here's to hoping that a Code Veronica remake can take us back to that style of Resident Evil or even influence the direction of the main series.
I could not have said it better myself. My thoughts exactly.

It's worth mentioning that the road wasn't an easy one either for the RE2 Remake. After years of multiple delays, the remake wasn't even considered by the Capcom board until they released the HD remaster of REmake in 2014 and were completely flabbergasted by the huge sales. That's obviously what gave them the incentive to greenlit a remake of RE2. So, a big round of applause to the team members within Capcom who worked on the HD remaster of REmake. Without them, it's hard to say if we'd have gotten the RE2 remake at all.

My biggest fear is that the huge sales boost from the RE4 remake will hurt our chances of getting more games similar in style to RE2R in the near future. Because let's face it, as great as RE4R is it is undoubtedly a lot more action-oriented. Combined with the popularity of VIIlage, it's safe to assume that we'll be getting more action and less survival horror in the upcoming RE games. Until the next time Capcom realizes what the fans actually want.

Ikawaru

they released the HD remaster of REmake in 2014 and were completely flabbergasted by the huge sales

LOL not on Steam, I think I'm the only person who plays it because I have unlocked every achievement and half of them were gold. I read somewhere that HD REmake and RE:Verse had an identical number of players on Steam so that should tell you something. It is a good port though unlike everything else between RE4 OG and RE7, which are crappy ports and might help tilt my bad opinion of these games in recent times. 'Village' OTOH appears to have been well recieved by most of the PC crowd and despite my misgivings of the game, it does seem like it was designed with mostly mouse and keyboard controls in mind and I can imagine console players feeling a bit wanting playing 'Village' with a gamepad at 30 frames per second.

Some things to consider, platform can mean a whole lot. How the game functions and the content of the game on paper is one of those transparent opinion movers that many people don't consciously think about and analyze but should more often, imo.

Last edited:

Wesker90

I could not have said it better myself. My thoughts exactly.

It's worth mentioning that the road wasn't an easy one either for the RE2 Remake. After years of multiple delays, the remake wasn't even considered by the Capcom board until they released the HD remaster of REmake in 2014 and were completely flabbergasted by the huge sales. That's obviously what gave them the incentive to greenlit a remake of RE2. So, a big round of applause to the team members within Capcom who worked on the HD remaster of REmake. Without them, it's hard to say if we'd have gotten the RE2 remake at all.

My biggest fear is that the huge sales boost from the RE4 remake will hurt our chances of getting more games similar in style to RE2R in the near future. Because let's face it, as great as RE4R is it is undoubtedly a lot more action-oriented. Combined with the popularity of VIIlage, it's safe to assume that we'll be getting more action and less survival horror in the upcoming RE games. Until the next time Capcom realizes what the fans actually want.
Wasn't there a long standing fan petition for an RE2make as well? I wonder if that deserves a little credit too?

Turo602

The King of Kings
I know I've been singing the game's praises but because of the work it's based on, I'm a little more forgiving of the elements I didn't care for in the original because of how survival horror forward the remake is despite it all. But I definitely hope they don't take the wrong lessons from RE4's success and by extension, Village. I mean, they've certainly made moves to abide by specific survival horror conventions when they didn’t have to.

As much as Village is a throwback to RE4, I can't deny it didn’t drastically improve on the formula in an effort to stick closer to its survival horror roots. And while we still had a lot to criticize about the game, I feel like RE4 Remake actually remedies a lot of these criticisms and even goes back on Village's attempt to make the game easier after complaints of RE7's "difficulty."

To Capcom's credit, I've consistently praised just how well they've been able to balance action with survival horror gameplay since RE3 Remake despite other issues I've taken with the games that have been holding the series back from reaching its full potential. But as far as the action and gameplay is concerned, I think there's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't want the series to minimize the action to what we got in RE2 Remake as that was the result of being faithful to the original RE2 experience just like RE4 Remake had to go back on Village's more traditional Metroidvania-like design and adhere to the original RE4's linear structure.

Action has always been a part of the series but could never shine like it does now due to the limitations of the fixed camera perspective which I think is highlighted most in the games' boss fights which have only gotten better with the move to over the shoulder gameplay. So I'm okay with all the newly added mechanics such as crouching, dodging, or parrying because they just weren't possible in the classic games nor executed nearly as well. That is as long as the threat is properly scaled, the action is well paced, and resource management is at the forefront of every encounter.

It's just hard to gauge what direction they'll ultimately take the series given how different the goal of each game has been. It's great that all these games are happening so close to eachother on the same engine and using the same gameplay and foundation, but with no consistent vision in mind, it's impossible to guess what lessons they're taking away from these games when it's just rehashing and celebrating itself without any real evolution. There's no clear identity to the series because the games will sell on name alone which is a double edged sword because on one hand, they can better define what a Resident Evil game is by honing in on the common elements between the games without relying on popular trends for sales, or they can become complacent in their success and lose sight of the importance specific choices and elements had on their games because people will buy it anyway.

Top Bottom