• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Tone of Resident Evil 7?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
This observation isn't necessarily directed at anyone in particular, but I see a lot of people up in arms over the action-oriented RE games, and nine times out of ten they want the series to go 'back to its roots.' Then those roots they speak of usually wind up being RE4... A f*cking action game! The real RE roots are the fixed angle, tank control, backtrack fests of RE1-CV. Four is where a lot of the things people hate about 5 and 6 came from.

Now, personally, I really like both types of RE, and I can see that it makes a lot of sense for Capcom to continue to drive the main, numbered titles down the action route. It's just the way the narrative escalated. Once things stopped being contained to one single area, genuine superhumans appeared, and the whole world started getting involved, action just made sense. And those games ended up supplying a different type of fear. They deliver more of an anxious panic than a dark atmosphere.

But the big thing is this; Neither type of RE is without fault just as neither type is without reason for praise. As far as I'm concerned, there is something great about every single numbered RE game, just as there is something s*itty. That's always been the case. I really hate that the fan base is so often divided on everything in such a profound way.
I couldn't have said this better myself. My two favorite games in the series are REmake and RE4, which are almost polar opposites, and RE5 and RE6 are fantastic games, but for COMPLETELY different reasons than RE2 and RE3. If we wanna point some hateful fingers, let's do it at RE: Gaiden and Milla Jovovich, because why the hell not.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
It's kind of funny how I'm the only one who sticks up for Gaiden. :p
I think it's just a victim of its hardware, being a Game Boy Color game, but I think it was a good effort. I think the combat is alright, the puzzles are on par with the other games and most interesting of all, it kind of plays as a "demake" of Revelations.
Just having a main protagonist investigating a cruise liner overrun with BOWs and when HQ loses contact with Guy #1, sending in somebody else to rescue them and sink the liner before it reaches shore.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
The quickest I can summarize is I think it's a piece of sh*t game.

I don't get the hate for the newer RE games. They're not that different from the old ones really.

I think it's just a victim of its hardware, being a Game Boy Color game, but I think it was a good effort. I think the combat is alright, the puzzles are on par with the other games and most interesting of all, it kind of plays as a "demake" of Revelations.
Just having a main protagonist investigating a cruise liner overrun with BOWs and when HQ loses contact with Guy #1, sending in somebody else to rescue them and sink the liner before it reaches shore.

To me, it seems like the Revelations games are canon versions of Gaiden. I mean, a cruise ship and Barry with a young girl that has special powers. The first Revelations was originally a portable console game, like Gaiden. Both have "underground" organizations. I liked Gaiden, but it wasn't canon so I don't pay much attention to it.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Gaiden wasn't a bad game. I was just making a joke.
I don't get the hate for the newer RE games. They're not that different from the old ones really.
The newer games are VERY different. Not bad. IN fact, rather good (In my opinion), but VERY different, and there is no way around that.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Gaiden wasn't a bad game. I was just making a joke.

The newer games are VERY different. Not bad. IN fact, rather good (In my opinion), but VERY different, and there is no way around that.

I see how you think they're different. But to me, they just have a bit different camera angles, some QTEs, are more dramatic, and have a bit more ammo and guns. But when you compare RE 1 and 3, it's kind of similar. The differences were the dodge, live selection, 180-degree turn, and FMV cutscenes. Same amount of differences, and people say RE 3 is so similar to RE 1.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
...They are similar. They were made on the same gaming engine, following the same story. The changes were minimal. Every game changes a LITTLE from game to game in ANY series, but if you're going to sit there and say that RE6 isn't very different from RE1, then you're insane...

Reactions: Hel

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
...They are similar. They were made on the same gaming engine, following the same story. The changes were minimal. Every game changes a LITTLE from game to game in ANY series, but if you're going to sit there and say that RE6 isn't very different from RE1, then you're insane...

It's very possible I'm insane. xD

AdaWait

Your right hand comes off?
They will really need to swing the pendulum back to Alone in the Dark days to win fans over.

I would really like a game where you are a completely new character who has no idea what is going on and is as potentially helpless and confused as Characters of RE1 and 2. The most wonderful thing about RE1,2 and 4 is that both the player and the characters feel the same emotions. You both have no idea what is happening and it becomes that much easier to immerse yourself. Sure in RE4 Leon is experienced with zombies, but this time it's not just zombies, it's something new, so once again, you're trying to figure out what's going on. RE5 you're already familiar with the enemies and there is no sense of new, which is why I think RE5 was a flop for most people who liked RE4.

The problem is that with the current lore, the characters live in a world that is familiar with zombies and mutations, so it would be hard to find a character that doesn't know what a zombie is. So perhaps a prequel? I would like Raccoon City revisited properly this time, so possibly that?

Top Bottom