• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 To Capcom

wanderer

battle master
Your map designers for this game are amateurs. Steel Beast? Liquid Fire? Creature Workshop? horribly designed. too much large distances, and restricted pathways, poor enemy spawn locations and poor enemy AI means your combos get broken frequently, you would need a rifle to snipe quite a few just to keep a combo, instead of continually melee slaughter for that higher score. that need for a rifle puts certain characters at a major disadvantage, what if i wanna use casual Leon? and i don't wanna touch pirate Leon? what if i wanna use business suit Helena? not stripper police costume Helena? these designers cannot have possibly tested their maps. large open spaces with many ways to run to the next area are good maps, only Urban Chaos, Mining the Depths, Rooftop Mission, and High Seas Fortress are good in this game. which is sad since only one of those good maps are not zombie filled, i like fighting the mutating soldiers, they offer a better challenge than zombies. now that i've unlocked all maps and had a taste of those maps, i'm sticking to the only 4 good maps in mercs mode. for all game developers out there, please make it a point to force your development team to test out their work.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
So in other words - you would like all the maps to be exactly the same?
There's different characters with different loudouts, so why wouldn't there be different maps? You are supposed to pick the appropriate character for the appropriate map. For example ones where your sniper skills are taken into account like Creature Workshop. There's something for every type of player hence I don't see anything wrong with the maps being as they are.
I suggest doing No Mercy if you don't like the spawns because even the maps with very specific spawns like Steel Beast aren't a problem since the enemies come at you constantly.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
So in other words - you would like all the maps to be exactly the same?
That's hardly what the thread opener said. Wide open areas are just better suited for a mini-game like Mercenaries than maps with three stories and narrow, winding corridors, especially when it's not only the number of kills that counts, but also (and even more importantly) the combo. Of course you can snipe enemies from a distance, but there's two problems with that: First of all, sniper rifles are not for everyone. I find them very difficult and impractical to use and only do so when there's no other option. Secondly, it is important for Mercenaries to kill as many enemies as possible with melee attacks rather than shooting them dead because it's the only way apart from the limited time crystals to get additional time to finish the whole map.

I'd say maps like Steel Beast and (my personal nightmare) Rail Yard are for advanced players, and there's nothing wrong with that because they provide an additional challenge, but my problem is that those "advanced" maps take up half of the available maps, which is too much. That's why I, too, only play the maps wanderer listed and sometimes Requiem for War most of the time, not because the others have more dangerous enemies (which isn't the case), but because their map layout makes it difficult to find enemies in time to keep the combo going, so getting a good score can be a pain in the a$$. No Mercy makes those maps a little easier, but not much, because it's just the other extreme: Instead of having not enough enemies to keep the combo going, you are constantly chased or surrounded by them, with narrow corridors making it harder to get away.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I agree, especially about the enemy AI and spawn-points. I remember RE5 Mercs: enemies used to crowd you and spawn right behind you; the chances of being killed before getting a good combo or time running out were great. With RE6 Mercs: there are times where I can't find an enemy to save my life, it seems like they're running away from me more often than not and, unless you're facing the blood-shots, you don't get the crowded feeling of Mercs of days past.

Mercs isn't what it used to be and definitely doesn't require as much skill as before. I was really disappointed. (Which is sad because Mercs is one of the things I look forward to in Resident Evil games.)

wanderer

battle master
every map in RE5 had large open areas, and you always had more than one choice to get from point A to point B. the real challenges the maps gave you was finding the most efficient fastest way to get all hourglasses without traveling the same road twice (waste time). plenty of enemy spawn locations. unless if you were a wussy hacker using infinite ammo shotguns/magnums, or didn't care about high scores (+5 bonus times) there was no way you would run low on targets.

on RE6? i was playing duo on creature workshop yesterday, something urgent came up i had to go AFK for 4 mins. when i returned i expected the round to be over, not joking, i was still alive, not even scratched during the 4 mins, my duo partner way far away, and even then somehow there was no spawn close enough that a basic soldier could reach me. this had to do with the map design, spawn locations and enemy AI. what RE5 did right was map designs + spawn locations. the above comments prove i am not the only one finishing my targets faster than they can spawn on those tight pathway maps.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
That's hardly what the thread opener said. Wide open areas are just better suited for a mini-game like Mercenaries than maps with three stories and narrow, winding corridors, especially when it's not only the number of kills that counts, but also (and even more importantly) the combo. Of course you can snipe enemies from a distance, but there's two problems with that: First of all, sniper rifles are not for everyone. I find them very difficult and impractical to use and only do so when there's no other option. Secondly, it is important for Mercenaries to kill as many enemies as possible with melee attacks rather than shooting them dead because it's the only way apart from the limited time crystals to get additional time to finish the whole map.

I'd say maps like Steel Beast and (my personal nightmare) Rail Yard are for advanced players, and there's nothing wrong with that because they provide an additional challenge, but my problem is that those "advanced" maps take up half of the available maps, which is too much. That's why I, too, only play the maps wanderer listed and sometimes Requiem for War most of the time, not because the others have more dangerous enemies (which isn't the case), but because their map layout makes it difficult to find enemies in time to keep the combo going, so getting a good score can be a pain in the a$$. No Mercy makes those maps a little easier, but not much, because it's just the other extreme: Instead of having not enough enemies to keep the combo going, you are constantly chased or surrounded by them, with narrow corridors making it harder to get away.
First of all I am gonna go ahead and admit that the mode has major flaws.
Having said that the average player isn't gonna go for high scores anyway or think about the combo, he is gonna go for something way simpler like killing all the enemies or even simply survive. Honestly the additional modes were always meant to be a challenge created for the advanced players, even before they were named "Mercenaries."

Sure the spawns are more specific and the map design might contribute to the problem but it isn't the actual problem here. The real problem is the reduced number of enemies on screen, even RE5 had twice as many. And this leads to the feeling that you are hunting down the enemies rather than it being the other way around.

If you want to score high now, what you have to do is play around with the enemies amd kill only when you know tere is another enemy nearby, not kill them as soon as you see them. This way even if you are melee killing everything you will run out of enemies very fast. It is more tedious than an actual challenge really so I see where the complaints come from and I would have to join the bunch but the actual problem is the number of enemies on screen at any given time not the actual map design imo.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
you have to learn where the enemies spawn. Its always been like this in re5 and re mercs 3ds. Part of the challenge is actually been in the right place at the right time. I wrote about this a lot in the past in mercs threads but Steel Beast is a good example. I can 150 that combo on myself because I have learnt where and when enemies spawn. Basically you start on top, go to bottom floor about halfway, then back up top for the end. Its got 3 floors, there is always lots of enemies, you just need to be on the top or ground floor at right time. Steel beast is actually quite easy once you learn the locations and timing. So 0-50 is top floor, 50-100 ish is ground floor, final 20-50 at top floor.
Rail Yard isn't too bad either, the only thing you need to do is aim high about 30 for the bomb guys drop from the roof, then be aware where the rocket launchers spawn (about 70 and 80 combo) on top floor...apart from that its plain sailing, constant flow of enemies and easy to max combo.

As for Creature workshop , that is the most broken map and very bad spawns.
The problem was worse in re5 as enemies would stay static in the back until you went near them, plus chickens and enemies getting stuck in the map without showing themselfs. Re6 made it easier by always having the enemies flow towards you.
Re5 was better imo, RE6 Counter attack took all the challenge away because almost every single attack any enemy does on you can be countered by spamming RT, doesnt even have to be timed right. This makes the No Mercy mode a piece of ****, just hack RT constantly until the end.

wanderer

battle master
you have to learn where the enemies spawn. Its always been like this in re5 and re mercs 3ds. Part of the challenge is actually been in the right place at the right time. I wrote about this a lot in the past in mercs threads but Steel Beast is a good example. I can 150 that combo on myself because I have learnt where and when enemies spawn. Basically you start on top, go to bottom floor about halfway, then back up top for the end. Its got 3 floors, there is always lots of enemies, you just need to be on the top or ground floor at right time. Steel beast is actually quite easy once you learn the locations and timing. So 0-50 is top floor, 50-100 ish is ground floor, final 20-50 at top floor.
Rail Yard isn't too bad either, the only thing you need to do is aim high about 30 for the bomb guys drop from the roof, then be aware where the rocket launchers spawn (about 70 and 80 combo) on top floor...apart from that its plain sailing, constant flow of enemies and easy to max combo.

As for Creature workshop , that is the most broken map and very bad spawns.
The problem was worse in re5 as enemies would stay static in the back until you went near them, plus chickens and enemies getting stuck in the map without showing themselfs. Re6 made it easier by always having the enemies flow towards you.
Re5 was better imo, RE6 Counter attack took all the challenge away because almost every single attack any enemy does on you can be countered by spamming RT, doesnt even have to be timed right. This makes the No Mercy mode a piece of ****, just hack RT constantly until the end.

woa, yea that is just my point, needing to learn where they spawn and HUNT THEM is the major flaw. it's mercs, it's you vs a crowd of enemies, not a 1 vs 1 duel X 150. this just motivates me even more not to touch steel beast and similar maps.

and i guess that means PC players use more skill in countering then, counter button is attack button, so counter too early and you attack, not counter, then you take damage.

also i never had to be in right place right time in RE5. i just melee slaughter until the end, except against the bosses. they always find me, i never hunt them, except for the one or 2 malfunctioning AI and chicken.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
No the counter thing is the same button as Melee on both console/PC. Its very easy, you won't do the attack unless you hit it before the animation is begun. Once the enemy raises his arm to slash you can counter from that point in time, up until it actually says (press Counter) and then about half a second after that as well. The counter 'window' is ridiculously huge and easy to hit every counter, except the dogs and bloodshots, they are probaly the most balanced and actually force you to press at the correct time.

wanderer

battle master
No the counter thing is the same button as Melee on both console/PC. Its very easy, you won't do the attack unless you hit it before the animation is begun. Once the enemy raises his arm to slash you can counter from that point in time, up until it actually says (press Counter) and then about half a second after that as well. The counter 'window' is ridiculously huge and easy to hit every counter, except the dogs and bloodshots, they are probaly the most balanced and actually force you to press at the correct time.

that does not sound right. my counter windows are small. it happens plenty when i press counter it fails even after the attack animation has started up good. this sounds like a console setup to make it easier on consoles.

Cannibal Jesse

Cannibal Jesse on Xbox Live RE5, RE6 &Revelations.
I do agree that the enemy spawning points are horrid, some levels you truly have to run around to find the B.O.Ws and that can screw up your combos. Urban Chaos and Rooftop Mission are probably my top 2 maps, won't go anywhere near the ones you mentioned.

Top Bottom