• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) Tips for boss fights (Spoilers!)

Which final boss fight is harder?

• Total voters

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm making this thread so we don't have to make a new one for every little thing we discover, and I'll start with a video showing how you can still defeat Claire's boss if you're out of ammo. All you need is an inventory full of functional knives and healing items:

It's worth remembering that you no longer have to damage him once he starts crawling, just avoid him for another minute or so and he will "die" anyway. I didn't know that.

Also, consider this helpful guide to survive Leon's final boss fight:

As you can see, the trick is to stand on his left side because he only attacks with his right arm. Contrary to what some other guides may tell you, you don't actually have to fight Mister X at all, Ada will throw you the rocket launcher after a certain amount of time has passed (roughly two minutes), not after you've damaged him enough.

If you do choose to fight him like a regular enemy, watch out for his most powerful attack, which Leon will even alert you to by saying "Uh-oh!" From my experience, this attack cannot be dodged, Leon is too slow no matter what, and on Hardcore it's actually a one-hit-kill - trust me, I've been there, and I've never seen poor Leon on a stick so many times within so few minutes! So if you see Mister X getting up to that kind of nonsense, try shooting his weak spot (the heart) to cancel the attack.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I actually just beat Leon's scenario 2 last night and beat William's final form with my knife and no healing items and comically enough I got the trophy for defeating an enemy with a knife on that fight.

I wasn't sure about the Mr. X fight being timed or not, thanks for that information. I will keep it in mind when I finally attempt my hardcore run (waiting until I get the infinite knife and only need to find 3 more Mr Racoons).

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Mutated Mr. X is definitely a lot harder than William's 4th form, and that's mainly because Leon has to fight Mr. X in a much smaller area compared to Claire with William. Claire run around more easily and take shelter, something which Leon can't.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Does Claire fight William's final form in 2nd scenario in remake? I seem to remember her fighting him in the original in scenario 2 but it's been a while since I played the original and somehow didn't even have to play Claire's 2nd scenario in the remake to unlock Hunk.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Does Claire fight William's final form in 2nd scenario in remake? I seem to remember her fighting him in the original in scenario 2 but it's been a while since I played the original and somehow didn't even have to play Claire's 2nd scenario in the remake to unlock Hunk.
Both Claire and Leon have all of their same boss fights plus the one on the train for the second scenario. They don't split up Birkin and Mr. X by scenario in the remake and instead split it by character.

You don't have to play both second scenarios to unlock Fourth Survivor, you just have to see the real ending.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Both Claire and Leon have all of their same boss fights plus the one on the train for the second scenario. They don't split up Birkin and Mr. X by scenario in the remake and instead split it by character.

You don't have to play both second scenarios to unlock Fourth Survivor, you just have to see the real ending.

Oh, ok. Going into it I figured you still had to get an A rank on all scenarios.

lakbk

I actually just beat Leon's scenario 2 last night and beat William's final form with my knife and no healing items and comically enough I got the trophy for defeating an enemy with a knife on that fight.

I wasn't sure about the Mr. X fight being timed or not, thanks for that information. I will keep it in mind when I finally attempt my hardcore run (waiting until I get the infinite knife and only need to find 3 more Mr Racoons).

wow, Awesome!

lakbk

For me, Claire run against Williams 4th form on Hardcore. I ran out of ammo and he's still alive. So after trying for 2 days, I gave up.

On Leon run against Mr. X, it seems easier cause I just run around and avoid him until the rocket launcher is dropped. And when he begins to charge with a death blow, I either use a flash grenade or a grenade. So you need at least 2 or 3 of them. But then I have only fought him on Standard.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
For me, Claire run against Williams 4th form on Hardcore. I ran out of ammo and he's still alive. So after trying for 2 days, I gave up.

On Leon run against Mr. X, it seems easier cause I just run around and avoid him until the rocket launcher is dropped. And when he begins to charge with a death blow, I either use a flash grenade or a grenade. So you need at least 2 or 3 of them. But then I have only fought him on Standard.
Mr X on hardcore in this fight is a huge pain. It look me probably 10 tried to beat him.

lakbk

Yep, Mr. X on hardcore is tough, but I was able to beat him on my 3rd try with 3 flash grenade and 3 full health herbes, of course, I wasted much time just running around the platform to avoid him for 3-5 minutes until the rocket launcher. lol

But I did see an expert does it in a minute or under 2 minutes with 9 grenades and 1 flash grenade.

Rain611

You can't kill me.

I'm trying to get Hardcore S+ with Claire and keep running out of ammo on G4. It's so frustrating

Rain611

You can't kill me.
@Rain611 Try the knife trick from the above video. :biggrin:
I'll give it a shot but I don't think I have many healing items left. I have the infinite knife and maybe 1 or 2 other knives and nowhere near as much inventory space :/ so we'll see.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm trying to get Hardcore S+ with Claire and keep running out of ammo on G4. It's so frustrating

I think you'll want to ditch the grenade launcher in this fight as it never seems to do damage to his eyes in my experience. That's really what you want to be doing in this fight, destroying all his eyes. So you don't really have to go crazy with the gatling gun, just be careful with your shots and make sure you're aiming at the eyes. If you run out of gatling gun ammo, the submachine gun is a nice alternative for quickly destroying eyes. I think grenades can be really useful as well.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I think you'll want to ditch the grenade launcher in this fight as it never seems to do damage to his eyes in my experience. That's really what you want to be doing in this fight, destroying all his eyes. So you don't really have to go crazy with the gatling gun, just be careful with your shots and make sure you're aiming at the eyes. If you run out of gatling gun ammo, the submachine gun is a nice alternative for quickly destroying eyes. I think grenades can be really useful as well.
That might be where I'm going wrong. I've been saving all my grenades for G4. I'll try it again with the sub machine gun.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
That might be where I'm going wrong. I've been saving all my grenades for G4. I'll try it again with the sub machine gun.
The grenades can still be useful, though! When he starts to climb a wall, hit him with a grenade and stop him. You can also run over and get in close and knife his eyes while he's trying to get up. (Using the knife strategy I've found that, for some reason, it's harder for him to hit you when you're in close. As long as you have 2 or 3 healing items, this should work.)

Rain611

You can't kill me.
The grenades can still be useful, though! When he starts to climb a wall, hit him with a grenade and stop him. You can also run over and get in close and knife his eyes while he's trying to get up. (Using the knife strategy I've found that, for some reason, it's harder for him to hit you when you're in close. As long as you have 2 or 3 healing items, this should work.)

Alright. So I have 10 inventory slots. I can use the chain gun, the sub machine gun and ammo, infinite knife and put heals in the rest?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Alright. So I have 10 inventory slots. I can use the chain gun, the sub machine gun and ammo, infinite knife and put heals in the rest?
You can or you can leave a spot for grenades as well if you like. And don't forget there's a red, green and blue herb on the way to the fight where you can heal and get a temporary shield.

Top Bottom