• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Thoughts on Bolt action rifle vs semi auto

Pistol_Pete

I used to use SA almost every run I did, since it's way faster and easier to reel off headshots and for the bits where you protect Ashley, but now the BAR is my favourite.

The thing is, once you get the 30fp exclusive (which is pretty damn early), you can get through the game without the magnum give or take, especially if you use to odd RL here and there if needed (which costs way less than owning/upgrading a magnum). Also it has pretty underrated combat effectiveness when used like the punisher was supposed to be, SA might reel off quick headshots but the BAR can outright kill 2-3 enemies in a group with a single bodyshot, you can save a ton of shotty/pistol ammo doing this.

The inventory space of the BAR is 9 spaces, the inventory space of SAR+magnum is 22 spaces, that's a huge difference equal to 6 nades/healing/ammo packs (and an egg). Add onto that the extra few spaces taken from carrying magnum ammo... I think BAR + occasional rocket launcher is the way to go for efficiency versus SAR + Magnum. Hell, you can even pack a TMP and a couple of blocks of ammo for it in the difference and still have space left over.

Just what I was ruminating about since I got this going on the emulator again anyways... Give the BAR a try if you don't usually use it, you might be surprised at how good it is (and all that space too, you can dust off a tmp or a shotty that isn't the striker if your bored!)

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Also, the bolt-action rifle can one-hit-kill a certain Red Coats in the GameCube version.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I use the SA. I feel it's pretty much better than the Bolt Action in every category. Also, if you play your cards right, you don't ever need a magnum through the game. The Shotgun and Rifle do pretty good jobs if you ask me.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I've actually really grown to love the Bolt-Action Rifle. It may be inferior to the Semi-Auto Rifle in almost every way, but three things:

1. It's got 30.0 firepower when fully upgraded
2. It kills Red Cloaks in one hit and El Gigante in two
3. The sound of reloading is SO satisfying...

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Though I use both, I'm slightly more attracted to the bolt action. I know the semi auto is better, but there's something about the bolt action that just appeals to me.

Top Bottom