• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil (1996) This game has aged well, and I really mean it

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
So I recently started up my PS3 for the first time in almost 3 years, and was delighted to see that it was still working. But I was even more delighted to see that they had the original Resident Evil Trilogy up for sale, something that isn't available on the PS4 (for some weird reason). As some of you may know, I haven't played the original RE1 and RE2 yet, so this was a golden opportunity for me to finally try them out. Obviously, I began with the 1st (the version I got is Resident Evil: Director's Cut US version).

I was split at first, since I've heard that the game is almost unplayable due to its age. But I was like "I've got to try it to know it" and since the RE1 remake is my favorite game in the series I felt almost obligated to play the original. As expected, the game's dialogue is very cheesy and doesn't work or feel compelling in 99% of all cases, but since I was expecting that I was therefore able to turn my brain off and focus entirely on the game itself. Surprisingly, once I actually got into the controls and mechanics, this 1996 game felt incredibly smooth. I don't know if its because of updated controls for the Director's Cut or not, but everything from running, picking up items, interacting with objects, aiming, shooting enemies and so on was done with great ease. What also struck me is how closely the REmake follows the original but does it in a new way, something I haven't realized until now. Even though this mansion is smaller, I had a lot of fun navigating through well-known corridors and rooms from the REmake. Kind of strange in some way to be experiencing this game for the first time after having played the REmake so much. Mindboggling.

I've just picked up the battery for the elevator, so I still have a couple of fun hours left, but I feel perfectly safe saying that this game has aged well. Take away the cheesy dialogue, and the groundbreaking story behind Umbrella and the virus which is found in files and documents would still do its job today.

Of course, you could argue that the game isn't scary anymore to new players in the year 2020, and while that might be true I still feel the story and gameplay is enough to make it playable. It's a classic, after all.

Can't wait to play RE2 as well, and then my OG trilogy experience will be complete!

Jonipoon

Well it’s done. And that was a great game indeed. Unfortunately I killed Barry so I didn’t get the best ending, but at least I saved Chris. They really did a great job with mixing up the scenario choices in the REmake, which made my playthrough of the original feel surprisingly fresh.

D

Deleted member 21244

Yeah the game is great even today but the only think is that the psn version is the directors cut dualshock version whit the ****ty soundtrack , it dosent have resident evil 1 iconic soundtrack that was also used as basis for the remake
I was going to download it from the psn before i find out this
Personally i cant play re 1 whitout it's soundtrack, it's taking all the atmosphere off

Original

Dualshock version

Jonipoon

Funny, I got the option to choose between Original version and DualShock when starting my game. I picked original because I wanted the original experience, but I actually had no idea that the soundtrack is completely different.

After having a quick listen, I must say I’m overjoyed I managed to dodge that bullet. That DualSchock soundtrack is HORRIBLE. Easily the scariest part of the game...

D

Deleted member 21244

Funny, I got the option to choose between Original version and DualShock when starting my game. I picked original because I wanted the original experience, but I actually had no idea that the soundtrack is completely different.

After having a quick listen, I must say I’m overjoyed I managed to dodge that bullet. That DualSchock soundtrack is HORRIBLE. Easily the scariest part of the game...
So you can choose?
Didn't know that, Interesting, i wonder if I'll be able to choose it in the EU psn version of the game

Hardware

Despite all its technical limitations and terrible voice work, I still find it creepier than the ultra-polished remake. The latter actually removed the library, which was one of my favorite parts from RE1. Reading the scrapbook with the "More rooms" track in the background always creeped me out. I also love the fact you can glimpse the heliport in the hidden room behind the shelf.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Hardware Yeah that was a nice touch and I always make it a point to go to that window anytime I go into that room just to see it.

It's like the devs were teasing you with it.

"Oh look you're almost there."

Hardware

@Hardware Yeah that was a nice touch and I always make it a point to go to that window anytime I go into that room just to see it.

It's like the devs were teasing you with it.

"Oh look you're almost there."
Yeah...you're right, even though I never saw it like that...I used to identify with the protagonists, so it was more like "There's a way out! We have to get there!"...I reckon it's the same difference between watching a movie and reacting to the director's tricks instead of thinking "Oh, the director pulled it off nicely here"...

Last edited:

Jonipoon

I love the soundtrack, it's the perfect mix between survival horror and detective fiction. It's such a delight that they preserved most of the songs for the REmake. No other game in the series has ever come close to greatness in terms of the music.

Hardware

Well, personally, I think the first 4 games (from 1 to C:V) had great soundtracks. Actually, even RE 1.5 had a pretty good score. From RE4 onwards the tunes became forgettable because there was no mood to build.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

They definitely do, my other two personal favorites are the Nemesis fight theme from RE3 and the saveroom theme from CV. I just think on average, RE1/REmake has the most balanced soundtrack.

Top Bottom