• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Viruses in the Resident Evil series - What exactly is the Wesker virus?

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
We do know almost every virus in the RE series by name, how it was made and by whom.

PROGENITOR: Discovered by Ozwell Spencer in 1965 in Africa as part of a special flower. Base virus for all the other viruses.

TYRANT (T): Created by James Marcus in 1978 by adding Leech DNA to Progenitor. One of three viruses that creates zombies. Unleashed in 1998 during the Mansion incident as well as the Raccoon City Incident and on Rockfort Island and Antarctica. Also released in 2002 in South America and 2005 at Harvardville airport. Featured in RE 0, 1, 2, 3 ,CV and RE Darkside Chronicles (and the CG film RE Degeneration)

G: Created by William Birkin in 1998 by using Lisa Trevors mutated DNA in combination with Progenitor. Used by Birkin in himself in 1998 and later used by Curtis Miller in 2005 in Harvardville during his attack on WilPharma. Featured in RE 2 and RE Degeneration

T-VERONICA: Created by Alexia Ashford in 1982 by combining Progenitor with Ant DNA. Used to mutate her father and later Alexia used it on herself, followed by a 15 year long cryogenic sleep during which she adapted to the virus. Later also used in 2002 by Javier Hidalgo. Featured in RE Code Veronica and RE Darkside Chronicles.

T-ALEXIA: Created by Alexia Ashford in 1999 after waking from her hibernation, using her own DNA to create a new strain of T-Veronica (Which she then used on Steve Burnside). Featured in Code Veronica.

T-ABYSS: Variation of the T-Virus, created by Morgan Landsdale around 2004 by combining T-Virus with deep sea creature based virus (Abyss virus). Used by Veltro in the attack on Terragrigia and by Landsdale shortly after to infect various Veltro ships. Featured in RE Revelations.

UROBOROS: Created by Albert Wesker in 2008 by combining several viruses and parasites with Progenitor and using Jill Valentines DNA to reduce the virus ´toxicity. Used by Wesker in an attack on Kijuju, Africa and later by Alex Wesker during her experiment in 2010. Featured in RE 5 & Revelations 2

T-PHOBOS: Created by Alex Wesker in 2010 by using Progenitor, T-Virus and fear inducing chemicals. The only virus that triggers through intense fear and can be overcome by sheer power of will. Used by Alex in her experiment in 2010 during which she infected herself, Natalia Korda, Claire Redfield and Moira Burton with it. Featured in RE Revelations 2.

C: Created by Carla Radames between 2011 and 2012 after a long resarch process. In 2001 Carla created a new virus named T-02 by altering the T-Veronica virus. She later combined T-02 with the altered strain of G-Virus from Sherry Birkins body (given to her by Derek Simmons), resulting in the new C-Virus. Carla used C in late 2012 in Edonia to mutate a large group of freedom fighters as well as killing off a large number of BSAA soldiers. In 2013 Simmons used the virus to cause an outbreak at Tall Oaks, which killed the US president while at the same time Carla used the virus to cause a massive outbreak in China, killing millions. Using the blood of Jake Mueller she later created a stronger, more volatile strain of C which eventually was used on both Carla and Simmons. Featured in RE 6

However there is one virus which has never really been classified and on which there is almost no information at all. There is not even an official name for it so I am calling it the Wesker virus. This is a virus, developed by Spencer which was eventually given to the 13 candidates of the Wesker Project in order to turn them into superhumans. However only two of them survived this - Albert and Alex. Albert was brought back from death by the virus and given superhuman abilities. Alex never displayed such abilities though she also was never brought back from death by that virus and it´s very likely that death triggers the superhuman abilities given by the virus. By the time Alex did die, she already had another virus within her as well (T-Phobos) which was possibly altering the Wesker virus in her, resulting in her severely mutating after she was resurrected instead of retaining her human form and gaining superhuman abilities like Albert did.

Still this virus remains a great mystery and has never really been used or discovered after it was given to the Weskers and it also seems to be the only of Umbrellas viruses that never made its way to the black market. It still does not even have an official name at this point.

Last edited:

Dr.Slaughter

The kitty sage
For some reason I always thought that the virus Albert took was specifically made by Birkin himself..... Although that is speculation and I could be wrong...... uhhhhhhhhhh... I guess one could speculate that whatever Albert took could be some kind of variation of the progenitor virus..... Hell some people have even speculated that Albert took another variation of the t-virus and manged to bond with it perfectly...... I do remember in RE 6 during Jakes campaign that he mentions something along the lines of " Apparently My father was immune to any kind of virus" thats not a direct quote by the way, I was just paraphrasing........ So I guess that line could have a little merit but I would really take that with a grain of salt...... But anyways there are literally so many things that virus could have been... However I would question how useful this particular virus is.... I mean Albert perfectly bonded with it, the other 11 wesker children were killed by it, and while Alex survived the injection she did not gain any powers..... in fact I would speculate that it made her sick. On a side note it would be really cool if instead of making umbrella corps that capcom would..... oh I dont know.... make a game that features Albert and Alex...... food for thought....

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
For some reason I always thought that the virus Albert took was specifically made by Birkin himself..... Although that is speculation and I could be wrong...... uhhhhhhhhhh... I guess one could speculate that whatever Albert took could be some kind of variation of the progenitor virus..... Hell some people have even speculated that Albert took another variation of the t-virus and manged to bond with it perfectly...... I do remember in RE 6 during Jakes campaign that he mentions something along the lines of " Apparently My father was immune to any kind of virus" thats not a direct quote by the way, I was just paraphrasing........ So I guess that line could have a little merit but I would really take that with a grain of salt...... But anyways there are literally so many things that virus could have been... However I would question how useful this particular virus is.... I mean Albert perfectly bonded with it, the other 11 wesker children were killed by it, and while Alex survived the injection she did not gain any powers..... in fact I would speculate that it made her sick. On a side note it would be really cool if instead of making umbrella corps that capcom would..... oh I dont know.... make a game that features Albert and Alex...... food for thought....

You need to keep in mind though that Jake was born before Wesker injected himself with that virus. Weskers immunity towards the viruses that he passed on to Jake is due to the fact that Weskers DNA was altered by Progenitor, giving him what Carla referred to as "a very special blood type" that made him immune to almost any Progenitor based virus (he was not entirely immune to Uroboros though). I always wondered why Wesker used Jills DNA and not his own to reduce the toxicity of Uroboros because clearly his DNA was almost immune to Progenitor as well. Either Wesker did not know that or he considered it to be too risky because he was not 100 % immune against every virus.

I think Alex had the same abilties as Wesker but she had no need to display them and once she injected T-Phobos the virus in her was probably altered. I think thats the reason she was surprisingly resurrected after killing herself and mutated so heavily (Which Albert never did)

Top Bottom