• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 The Mercenaries Mode

Railazel

I'm amazed I don't see a topic for this.

Anyways, The Mercenaries screwed me over. I played through the main storyline about three times and I don't see how the strategies apply to Mercenaries.

Usually, guides tell you to stun your enemies before you kill them, but that doesn't work in Mercenaries since there are multitudes of them at a time and you have to kill them all under a certain amount of time.

Personally though, I like it. I learned more direct methods of killing my enemies even though my ammo conservation suffers from it. But I have to wonder if I'm doing things right. I don't aim for the heads or legs anymore, I just shoot the torso. Even though it doesn't kill them right away, it only affects me severly under certain conditions.

For example, I'm good at playing with Leon and HUNK because Leon's gun takes out the enemy in too shots and HUNK's TMP is fairly powerful for its type. Krauser's okay, I just don't use him all that often. Albert's good because of his punches, but he's kind of a cheap character. Ada doesn't really work well with me.

Genesis_of_Nemesis

Dead Man Walking
Take it from a seasoned player of the game, melees are good to use, just don't always rely on them to kill. That is unless that character is Hunk with his neck breaker (which is godly!), Krauser's roundhouse kick (also pretty nice, its rare for it to not kill a weak enemy on the second hit), and Wesker's moves which is just completely and utter broken. A lot of the melees can be used for crowd control, in case they get too big. But in that case with Leon, just shotgun 'em. Headshots are nice and can be used to do melees (as well as leg stuns), I especially said to do that with Hunk since neck breaker equals no worrying about plagas spawning.

Typically, Leon's bff is going to be that shotgun, the same for Hunk and his TMP, like he has a choice in the matter. Both are usually are the lower tier as far as a lot of people think from what I have seen and heard. Ada, despite her lower health, is a bit higher because she can handle situations and certain mini bosses better than of those guys, plus her rifle helps out too. :p Wesker and Krauser are the top dogs for health, high damaging melees and their weapons can kill easily, and between the two, Krauser is practically god (especially when playing the Wii edition, though that just might be me that feels that way), because there is so much love for that arm of his, which kills EVERYTHING within the hit box.

Whole point of Mercs is to kill the enemies as fast as you can and as many as you can in a combo to get more points while keeping as much ammo on you as possible using the time bonuses to help keep things going to the end. Hope this helps you out and if any questions, feel free to hit me up!

Railazel

Oh trust me, I under the strengths and skills of each character to a considerable degree (probably not the level of a well- seasoned player, but higher than most beginner players since I took the time to study the game and stuff). However, I think the issue is that, really, I'm not good at close quarters. I tend to stay away from the zombies and rely alot on guns. The reason why is:

1. I tend to find myself fighting at corners. By the time I have enough room to maneuver around, enemies have already surronded me. While close quarters combat does help to create openings, it's not really effective unless it's Krauser or Albert that I'm using since both have a wide range.

2. Oddly enough, I never stun someone that's close enough for me to Melee them right away. When I do, it's usually to late and someone else has already cornered me.

I believe my problem is crowd control but it's not a large crowd that I'm worried about, but rather me being closed in or surrounded.

That's why HUNK, Krauser, and Leon are good characters for me, because I can kill my enemies quickly and give myself room to move around. Wesker's too cheap and Ada's weapon aren't power- orientated.

Genesis_of_Nemesis

Dead Man Walking
1. Being in corners sucks, unless you are planning to camp. And if you are, look for good places to do it without needing to feel that you will be surrounded easily or getting attacked from behind which also sucks. Like in Village for example, you know about the barn with ladder leading up to a bonus chest? That's a terrific place to hold your own; I myself have been known to do that sometimes /once i gathered up all the time bonuses. But if not, then you are right, moving around is the best thing to do, which is great to do in both Castle and Island (since it is pretty huge and crazy until you get used to it @_@). A good place for Waterworld would be the rooftop with the zip-line. Pretty much all the characters have a good way of crowd controlling:

Leon 's kick (shot to head)
Ada's fan kick (shot to head I think)
Hunk's: riot kick (shot to leg)
Wesker's: thrust punch (shot to head)
Both of Krauser's kicks (shot to head/leg)

Those should buy you some good time to get away from the masses and keep going.

2. I'd say whenever you are in that position of being surrounded, pick out the nearest one and take him/her/it out and keep on moving and avoid letting the numbers get too much for you to handle.

I have a friend that has a similar problem like this, among others like trying to use the shotgun long range. *facepalms* Glad to hear you like playing with Hunk and Leon. Krasuer is pretty easy to five star, and Wesker is so OP as well. Ada's weapons are more of situational- her handgun sucks unless you are getting crowded or dealing with enemies with shields, so the TMP is her main and can deal with crowds fairly well (a quick sweep of round around them should help to take them out of you way to regroup and counterattack), and the rifle is the trump card of her weaponry.

Railazel

1. Being in corners sucks, unless you are planning to camp. And if you are, look for good places to do it without needing to feel that you will be surrounded easily or getting attacked from behind which also sucks. Like in Village for example, you know about the barn with ladder leading up to a bonus chest? That's a terrific place to hold your own; I myself have been known to do that sometimes /once i gathered up all the time bonuses. But if not, then you are right, moving around is the best thing to do, which is great to do in both Castle and Island (since it is pretty huge and crazy until you get used to it @_@). A good place for Waterworld would be the rooftop with the zip-line.

Oh yeah... I forgot about camping. Maybe I should try that.

Pretty much all the characters have a good way of crowd controlling:

Leon 's kick (shot to head)
Ada's fan kick (shot to head I think)
Hunk's: riot kick (shot to leg)
Wesker's: thrust punch (shot to head)
Both of Krauser's kicks (shot to head/leg)

Those should buy you some good time to get away from the masses and keep going.

Hmm... I never saw it that way.

2. I'd say whenever you are in that position of being surrounded, pick out the nearest one and take him/her/it out and keep on moving and avoid letting the numbers get too much for you to handle.

I shall try harder to do that.

I have a friend that has a similar problem like this, among others like trying to use the shotgun long range. *facepalms*

Even when I first played I knew that it was a close- range weapon.

Ada's weapons are more of situational- her handgun sucks unless you are getting crowded or dealing with enemies with shields, so the TMP is her main and can deal with crowds fairly well (a quick sweep of round around them should help to take them out of you way to regroup and counterattack), and the rifle is the trump card of her weaponry.

Wow... I never saw her that way either.

Thanks man, you've been really helpful.

Railazel

Now about the bosses, I hate the one in the Docks (can't remember what its called. The one with the ziplines.). He can only be stunned by Leon's and Ada's shotguns, an incendiary grenade, or Albert's magnum, knocked down by hand grenades, and killed by Krauser's mutant hand. This leaves me with little options when playing with my favorite character, HUNK.

Meanwhile, most other bosses are pretty easy to deal with.

Genesis_of_Nemesis

Dead Man Walking
Ah, waterworld, how i love thee. >>

But yeah, Super Salvador can be handled pretty easily between Ada and Wesker thanks to their rifles (I don't even bother to use his magnum anymore since the rifle packs just as much of a powerful blow, if not better than the magnum.) I believe around three shots to the head will kill them, and more so if you do body shots. Krauser should be able to handle himself with those flash grenades and his arrows, but yeah you would probably will want to use the arm for faster killings. The only two that will have a bit of a problem is Leon, and even worse Hunk. If you can get some flash/incendiary grenades for either one, then use them and use regular grenades/shotgun with Leon and grenades/TMP with Hunk. There is a trick with Leon should you have no grenades on you at all. Climb up a ladder and wait for him to jump up and land, and then shoot him in the head. It can stun him enough for you to prepare a couple more shots and it should be able to take him out. Hunk is a bit more tricky as regular grenades will not stun SS easily, without using multiple. Distance is your friend for this one; chuck as many grenades as you can from a distance from him and once stunned, shoot the crap out of him. A good place to do this (as well as all the other things with the other people I have mentioned) is at the rooftop with the zipline. If you can't do that, then head to the zipline and use it, which will keep you on the other side of the place from him. Then watch him and prepare to unload as he's jumping down from the roof and is trying to head towards the one you are on. I did it once and felt accomplished as I watched him fall to the Hunk :)

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent
as an Xbox 360 user, i have a question.... is this available on the game marketplace? if so, does it come with this mode? (Mercenaries mode). if yes, is Ada Wong. available from the start?

ADAxWONG

On A Mission...
as an Xbox 360 user, i have a question.... is this available on the game marketplace? if so, does it come with this mode? (Mercenaries mode). if yes, is Ada Wong. available from the start?

Its the Full Game, it does include The Mercenaries and the characters. All you have to do is play through Mercenaries Mode on the Pueblo map and get a four star ranking or higher, and Ada Wong will be Unlocked.

MetalGamer2

Survivor
I would offer some tips, but there's not much that Genesis_of_Nemesis didn't already cover. So, I'm just going to recap a few good points.

Like Genesis already said, never underestimate the usefulness of melee. The "crowd control moves" that he listed will often save you. ALSO keep in mind that you don't take damage while in the middle of an animation. If you learn to recognize situational opportunities, then you can use this to your advantage. For example, if you're about to take a hit that might kill you (like a chainsaw attack), and there's a nearby enemy that's stunned, then quickly go for the stunned enemy and perform a melee attack. This way, you won't take any damage, and if it's a "crowd control move" then you can knock enemies back and prepare for your next plan of action.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps :)

ZhiyuanTian

My English is not good enough to find the HD HUNK Mode Version2 in this English forum,I hope anyone of you guys can give me a downloadline avaliable .I've been finding in native forums for 2 moths.I really wanna this mode.Thanks!

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Yup, when you buy the game, after you beat it you get the mercs, Assignment Ada, Seperate Ways, and movie browser. Plus new main title screen, costumes, and professional difficulty.

Shocker

I never really got around to playing this until lately. Damn its a challenge to get 60,000 pts on these. Guess I suck but cant stand getting the points and getting my head sawed off right before the chopper gets there because my ammo runs low. Tough mode for me.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I never really got around to playing this until lately. Damn its a challenge to get 60,000 pts on these. Guess I suck but cant stand getting the points and getting my head sawed off right before the chopper gets there because my ammo runs low. Tough mode for me.

..................Dude, this topic was like 4 years old, no one has replied here in over 4 whole YEARS.

Top Bottom