• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) The major influences of James Cameron´s "Aliens" in RE 2

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
While I was playing RE 2 again as part of my current "Complete Story" playthrough, it suddenly came to me that RE 2 is majorly influenced by famous movie director James Cameron, or more specifically his movie "Aliens"

The premise of Aliens is actually very similar to RE 2 - a colony settlement has been infested by Aliens who have taken out most of the populace, using their victims to create more Aliens. A team of soldiers is sent in and they make their way through the destroyed and abandoned colony, fighting for their lives against the alien creatures that strike mercilessly from the shadows. If you switch out the colony with Raccoon City and the Aliens with zombie you pretty much get RE 2.

But there are even more similarities:

- the Aliens plant embryos into human hosts, which then burst from the hosts chests, killing them. Chief Brian Irons dies pretty much exactly the same way in the game and much like the Aliens implant embryos into hosts in order to procreate, Birkin tries to do the same with various hosts (Irons, Ben, Sherry).

- The final form of Birkin in the train is remarkably similar to the HR Giger designs of the Aliens and is reminiscent of the Alien Queen in the movie going after those who destroyed her nest.

- Lickers are very similar to the Alien Xenomorphs in the movie. They attack with their claws, their teeth design is very similar and both use their tongue to pierce their victims heads or torso.

- In both stories a powerful company (Umbrella and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation) are responsible for the breakout of the BOW/Alien infestations. Also in both storylines the infestation is erased by a nuclear explosion.

- perhaps the biggest and most obvious similarity between RE 2 and Aliens are the characters of Sherry and Newt. Newt is a little girl who has survived the Alien infestation of her colony and is later found by the soldiers. She then forges a strong emotional bond with the female protagonist of the movie (Ellen Ripley), who is doing everything to protect her and treats Newt like her own daughter. This is extremely similar to the relationship of Claire and Sherry in RE 2. in fact RE 2 even directly imitates a scene from Aliens in which Newt is seperated from Ripley when she falls down a drain into the sewers. The exact same thing happens to Sherry in RE 2. In the movie "Resident Evil: Retribution", Paul WS. Anderson (who is a declared Aliens fan) also imitates the Ripley/Newt relationship with the characters of Alice and Becky.

as a huge fan of the Alien films (and particularly Aliens) I find this extremely fascinating and can´t believe I did not notice these similarities before.

14214976344536_32422243222120_e.jpg

Top Bottom