• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Silent Hill Info dump *SPOILERS AHEAD*

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I used to frequent the Silent Hill Heaven forum quite a bit but that place kind of got old as I found the majority of the members on there to take things way too seriously.

I was surprised to find that a decent amount of fans on that forum actually hated Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4. Those are my top two favorite games! Both games feature areas that are simply unforgettable and freaky. Love, love, love them both.

My ranking of the games would probably go something like this...

1. Silent Hill 4: The Room
  2. Silent Hill 3
  3. Silent Hill 2
  4. Silent Hill Homecoming
  5. Silent Hill
  6. Silent Hill Downpour
  7. Silent Hill Origins

I have yet to play ****tered Memories nor Book of Memories and don't really feel like I am missing much.

A lot of fans may be baffled on Homecoming surpassing the very first Silent Hill, but I genuinely enjoyed Homecoming and find that it has a lot of replay value. I really like the concept of a town sacrificing their children as it is absurd and freaky. I also really like Alex and felt bad for him as he was a son desperately seeking the approval of his parents. I absolutely love the hospital ending as it shows the mental damage Alex has and the player is left to decide who Alex really is and why he is in the mental hospital. That all being said, it is a flawed game and some obvious tweaking can be done with the story and character development, but I get it and enjoyed it.

As for the original Silent Hill game, obviously that game deserves some major props as it was the start of the entire series. Honestly Silent Hill and Silent Hill Homecoming fluctuate for the fourth spot on my list. My favorite part is how the otherworld is established. I also really love Lisa as her story and death are quite tragic. Her death scene is one of the saddest scenes I have watched in a videogame. Cybil was also another character that stood out and her death is another one that is sad to see.

I'm still in the middle of playing through Downpour, but can confidently say that I like it a lot more than Origins and, to be fair, I have literally screamed out loud more times playing through Downpour than any other Silent Hill game- so props there. However, as I have said before, the monster designs are subpar and the whole police car driving around did not feel like Silent Hill.

Origins I found to be quite boring and unoriginal. Probably the only part of the game that I actually liked playing through was the theater part.

Last edited:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
I used to frequent the Silent Hill Heaven forum quite a bit but that place kind of got old as I found the majority of the members on there to take things way too seriously.

I was surprised to find that a decent amount of fans on that forum actually hated Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4. Those are my top two favorite games! Both games feature areas that are simply unforgettable and freaky. Love, love, love them both.

My ranking of the games would probably go something like this...

1. Silent Hill 4: The Room
  2. Silent Hill 3
  3. Silent Hill 2
  4. Silent Hill Homecoming
  5. Silent Hill
  6. Silent Hill Downpour
  7. Silent Hill Origins

I have yet to play ****tered Memories nor Book of Memories and don't really feel like I am missing much.

A lot of fans may be baffled on Homecoming surpassing the very first Silent Hill, but I genuinely enjoyed Homecoming and find that it has a lot of replay value. I really like the concept of a town sacrificing their children as it is absurd and freaky. I also really like Alex and felt bad for him as he was a son desperately seeking the approval of his parents. I absolutely love the hospital ending as it shows the mental damage Alex has and the player is left to decide who Alex really is and why he is in the mental hospital. That all being said, it is a flawed game and some obvious tweaking can be done with the story and character development, but I get it and enjoyed it.

As for the original Silent Hill game, obviously that game deserves some major props as it was the start of the entire series. Honestly Silent Hill and Silent Hill Homecoming fluctuate for the fourth spot on my list. My favorite part is how the otherworld is established. I also really love Lisa as her story and death are quite tragic. Her death scene is one of the saddest scenes I have watched in a videogame. Cybil was also another character that stood out and her death is another one that is sad to see.

I'm still in the middle of playing through Downpour, but can confidently say that I like it a lot more than Origins and, to be fair, I have literally screamed out loud more times playing through Downpour than any other Silent Hill game- so props there. However, as I have said before, the monster designs are subpar and the whole police car driving around did not feel like Silent Hill.

Origins I found to be quite boring and unoriginal. Probably the only part of the game that I actually liked playing through was the theater part.

Oh yeah I used to be a member there too. I remember having a good time day and having a miserable time most. Left when I realized I just didn't belong there. I never really agreed with the consensus and wasn't allowed to voice my opinion there in fear of being scrutinized. They indeed did take things quite seriously. Sometimes you'd find pages full of sarcastic quotes and name calling. It was kind of childish.

If there's something I learned while there it's that if you have a lot of problems with the post Team Silent games that keep you from enjoying them much then you're an automatic Team Silent fanboy weaboo, who's blinded by fanboy rage and just hate them just for the fact that they are made by western hands rather than your Japanese Gods lol. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been argued out of my own topics for suggesting that maybe there aren't multiple dimensions. The funny thing is I didn't used to be like how I am today :happy:Back then my favorites were:
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill ****tered Memories
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Silent Hill origins
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill Downpour
  • Silent Hill 4 The Room
It's almost quite jarring how much I've changed. It was after being constantly being berated for having criticism on the games that I liked that I started replaying the old ones and really analyzing them for myself. I even started reading some literature and novels as well as picking up David Lynch films that seem to influence the fanchise. I was astonished by how in depth the first 4 games when into the occultism stuff. It really impressed me that they did their homework.

Like I told someone earlier. I never berate people for enjoying the games that I don't. I'm never shy on my dislike for Homecoming but when I find people who actually really enjoy it, the last thing I want to do is put them down for finding joy in something that I couldn't. The best thing about this franchise is to remember that the fanbase isn't as black'n'white as people would like to think. People should never assume that if one of the originals is your favorite than you automatically dislike the western games or vise versa. The sooner people understand that the less divided this fanbase can become. I do understand divide was inevitable as their approaches are radically different but still, no fan is better than the other. I actually look at RE games the same way. I admit I'm not really a big fan of the post RE4 games. I like Revelations a bit and Revelations 2 was okay but that doesn't mean I think people who like RE 5 and 6 are any less RE fans than I am. :happy:So how far into Downpour are you? Have you been playing for long?

meg5493

@BeatTheGG Man I feel that! Its glad to find someone who feels the same way about pyramid heads misuse of the coarse of this franchise. I actually enjoy the first silent hill movie tho that might be because I watched it prior to really knowing anything about SH and haven't watched it since. Silent Hills being cancelled is probably the biggest disappointment ever for me just because of the fact that it could've brought life back into this dead franchise.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
@BeatTheGG Man I feel that! Its glad to find someone who feels the same way about pyramid heads misuse of the coarse of this franchise. I actually enjoy the first silent hill movie tho that might be because I watched it prior to really knowing anything about SH and haven't watched it since. Silent Hills being cancelled is probably the biggest disappointment ever for me just because of the fact that it could've brought life back into this dead franchise.
Oh yeah no doubt! Just like you said earlier, it's not just pyramid head either. You've got the bubble head nurses too. It's kind of ridiculous and really shows a lack of creative integrity on the devs part. As for the first movie, I'll admit I enjoy it on an aestetic level but I do hate how they butchered the plot and monsters. I also really didn't like how they switched a lot of the characters roles around for no real reason. To me Jaccobs Ladder is the true Silent Hill movie I've been waiting for :happy:

meg5493

Oh yeah no doubt! Just like you said earlier, it's not just pyramid head either. You've got the bubble head nurses too. It's kind of ridiculous and really shows a lack of creative integrity on the devs part. As for the first movie, I'll admit I enjoy it on an aestetic level but I do hate how they butchered the plot and monsters. I also really didn't like how they switched a lot of the characters roles around for no real reason. To me Jaccobs Ladder is the true Silent Hill movie I've been waiting for :happy:
Its actually pretty interesting to see what movies inspired the SH games. Kindergarten Cop is still my all time favorite one, though I was surprised to see that my all time favorite horror movie (Susperia) inspired Downpour.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Its actually pretty interesting to see what movies inspired the SH games. Kindergarten Cop is still my all time favorite one, though I was surprised to see that my all time favorite horror movie (Susperia) inspired Downpour.
Yeah the Kindergarten Cop thing is almost as awesome as the Study Dammit thing :happy:Really I love the references in these games. Indeed Susperia inspiring Downpour? That's a surprise to me. I must have forgotten for some reason. I loved the supernatural ballet setting. I really think those two things complement each other well. It's a surprise I didn't see anything in Downpour that gave me that feeling of suspense and mystery.

I should check this movie out again.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Oh yeah I used to be a member there too. I remember having a good time day and having a miserable time most. Left when I realized I just didn't belong there. I never really agreed with the consensus and wasn't allowed to voice my opinion there in fear of being scrutinized. They indeed did take things quite seriously. Sometimes you'd find pages full of sarcastic quotes and name calling. It was kind of childish.

If there's something I learned while there it's that if you have a lot of problems with the post Team Silent games that keep you from enjoying them much then you're an automatic Team Silent fanboy weaboo, who's blinded by fanboy rage and just hate them just for the fact that they are made by western hands rather than your Japanese Gods lol. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been argued out of my own topics for suggesting that maybe there aren't multiple dimensions. The funny thing is I didn't used to be like how I am today :happy:Back then my favorites were:
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill ****tered Memories
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Silent Hill origins
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill Downpour
  • Silent Hill 4 The Room
It's almost quite jarring how much I've changed. It was after being constantly being berated for having criticism on the games that I liked that I started replaying the old ones and really analyzing them for myself. I even started reading some literature and novels as well as picking up David Lynch films that seem to influence the fanchise. I was astonished by how in depth the first 4 games when into the occultism stuff. It really impressed me that they did their homework.

Like I told someone earlier. I never berate people for enjoying the games that I don't. I'm never shy on my dislike for Homecoming but when I find people who actually really enjoy it, the last thing I want to do is put them down for finding joy in something that I couldn't. The best thing about this franchise is to remember that the fanbase isn't as black'n'white as people would like to think. People should never assume that if one of the originals is your favorite than you automatically dislike the western games or vise versa. The sooner people understand that the less divided this fanbase can become. I do understand divide was inevitable as their approaches are radically different but still, no fan is better than the other. I actually look at RE games the same way. I admit I'm not really a big fan of the post RE4 games. I like Revelations a bit and Revelations 2 was okay but that doesn't mean I think people who like RE 5 and 6 are any less RE fans than I am. :happy:So how far into Downpour are you? Have you been playing for long?

Oh I defended Homecoming quite a bit on that forum. Could never let those unhappy individuals affect what I like and what I don't. Frankly they hated life in general.

Have you read House of Leaves? I'm in the middle of reading that book right now and it definitely inspired Team Silent's games. Do you know of any other books that may have inspired them?

With Downpour I am in the prison right now. Trying to figure out the puzzle with the license plate machines.

Jacob's Ladder is such a great movie. The first Silent Hill movie, while flawed, is still the best videogame adaptation to date. There was clearly respect for the games when they made that movie. My biggest gripe was how the creators felt the need to walk the audience through what was happening in one scene. They should have planned things out better and show the audience rather than tell. Let the audience figure things out like the players have to in the games.

That second Silent Hill movie was wasted potential though. So disappointing and so awful. I wish that they would reboot that film series. I know I've wanted to see The Room in film format.

Last edited:

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
All I can say is, I'd be open to seeing characters return as long as it's handled with care. I never really anticipate seeing protagonists returning since each game usually gives us a whole new cast so I can't say I have an opinion on the subject. I will say you have given me something to think about though.

Though I don't see James returning. I hear that the
in water ending is considered the fan favorite and the one the devs put the most amount of heart into, so I'd imagine they'd like to keep the idea of James being dead open.
It was pretty cool seeing them reference James in SH4 in such a way that doesn't directly involve him.

What name would you give this Silent Hill game that you've thought of? I imagine it would be something that relates to bringing things together like, "Silent Hill A Dreaded Unison" or something like that. :happy:

EDIT: Lol I can't believe I'm just now learning how to use spoiler tags -_-

Agree becuse if they never executed with care it faill in a high rate!!!

Really name isnt importint to me its silent hill bro names aint that importint but here a few suggestions

Silent hill "REDEMPTION" after event of the part we talked about (campaign mode)
Silent hill "NIGHTMARES" (campaign mode)
Silent hill "DARK SINS" (campaign mode)
Silent hill " DARK WAYS"(campaign mode)
Silent hill "HILL WAYS"( campaign mode)

No matter what name you pick for events which explain how or why each individuall will meet in the last part which is i cant find a better name for it "redemption" would be a mind blowing to end a massive franchies such sh which each of them face the same enemy or help or or who or what ever it is surelly cant find any best way to end it:happy:lol

meg5493

Yeah the Kindergarten Cop thing is almost as awesome as the

Indeed Susperia inspiring Downpour? That's a surprise to me. I must have forgotten for some reason. I loved the supernatural ballet setting. I really think those two things complement each other well. It's a surprise I didn't see anything in Downpour that gave me that feeling of suspense and mystery.

I should check this movie out again.

Me neither! Which is fine I was just surprised the dev team knew what Suspiria was :love:considering its not on most peoples radars. Trying to rack my brain around it maybe the otherworld sections or some of the reappearing characters in the game? I just like that tons of different genre'd movies inspired the SH series.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Oh I defended Homecoming quite a bit on that forum. Could never let those unhappy individuals affect what I like and what I don't. Frankly they hated life in general.

Have you read House of Leaves? I'm in the middle of reading that book right now and it definitely inspired Team Silent's games. Do you know of any other books that may have inspired them?

With Downpour I am in the prison right now. Trying to figure out the puzzle with the license plate machines.
Geez someone get those people an Adderall cocktail. But I'm glad you never let them get you down. It just to a certain point where I just wasn't having it anymore.

House of Leaves? I don't think I've read it. I'll have to look into it, thanks for the recommendation! :D As for some other books that have inspired their work? Well since SH started production back in 96' I hope you don't mind how old a lot of these books are. What TS wanted to do was create their own branch of psychological horror so in order to do so that had to study multitudes of works by masters in both horror and story telling. Makes sense that this list will involve both well known and obscure from both overseas and here in the west.

"The Legends of Tono" by Kunio Yanagita
"The Regulators" by Richard Bachman
"The Mist" by Stephen King
"Coin Locker Babies" by Ryu Murakami
"Phantoms" and "The Door to December" by Dean Koontz
"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky
"Rosemary's Baby" by Ira Levin
"Hell House" by Richard Matheson
"The Midwich Cukoos" by John Wyndham
"Shikoku" by Misako Bando
"The Box Man" by Kobo Abe

and many more! These are just a few that I've read for now.

Jacob's Ladder is such a great movie. The first Silent Hill movie, while flawed, is still the best videogame adaptation to date. There was clearly respect for the games when they made that movie. My biggest gripe was how the creators felt the need to walk the audience through what was happening in one scene. They should have planned things out better and show the audience rather than tell. Let the audience figure things out like the players have to in the games.

That second Silent Hill movie was wasted potential though. So disappointing and so awful. I wish that they would reboot that film series. I know I've wanted to see The Room in film format.

Yeah Jacob's Ladder has always been a favorite of mine. As for the first Silent Hill movie. I agree it is one of the best if not, the best video game to film adaptation. I may not be a fan of the film but I'll admit that the aesthetics were on point and the use of Akira Yamaoka's music was clearly done with the best intentions. Sadly it's everything else that keeps me from liking the movie.

But oh my goodness is the second film monumentally worse. It makes the first film actually look like a masterpiece in comparison. I mean the fact that when someone says "Silent Hill" and people actually think about this film; it's like nails on the chalk board that is my soul. :dead: I mean the director's previous work was Solomon Kane for crying out loud!

Me neither! Which is fine I was just surprised the dev team knew what Suspiria was :love:considering its not on most peoples radars. Trying to rack my brain around it maybe the otherworld sections or some of the reappearing characters in the game? I just like that tons of different genre'd movies inspired the SH series.

I guess we'll only know if we ask the director himself lol. But yeah, I 100% agree with you on the use of literature and genres in cinematography that went into influencing the SH series being a really neat thing. I just love it when before creating their own art piece, aspiring artists do their homework first. I usually think the most interesting of works are the ones that take inspiration. Of course I only say that as someone who draws for a hobby. :happy:

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Geez someone get those people an Adderall cocktail. But I'm glad you never let them get you down. It just to a certain point where I just wasn't having it anymore.

House of Leaves? I don't think I've read it. I'll have to look into it, thanks for the recommendation! :D As for some other books that have inspired their work? Well since SH started production back in 96' I hope you don't mind how old a lot of these books are. What TS wanted to do was create their own branch of psychological horror so in order to do so that had to study multitudes of works by masters in both horror and story telling. Makes sense that this list will involve both well known and obscure from both overseas and here in the west.

"The Legends of Tono" by Kunio Yanagita
"The Regulators" by Richard Bachman
"The Mist" by Stephen King
"Coin Locker Babies" by Ryu Murakami
"Phantoms" and "The Door to December" by Dean Koontz
"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky
"Rosemary's Baby" by Ira Levin
"Hell House" by Richard Matheson
"The Midwich Cukoos" by John Wyndham
"Shikoku" by Misako Bando
"The Box Man" by Kobo Abe

and many more! These are just a few that I've read for now.
Thanks for listing some! I may just have to get The Mist seeing as I loved the movie so much. I think it's pretty cool that Laurie Holden plays a role in both the movie The Mist and Silent Hill. Do I smell a fan?

Definitely look into House of Leaves as it is a book that inspired them and is also pretty damn good. As far as I can tell, SH4 took a lot of inspiration from this book. Even the P.T. demo has some similarities! Makes me all the more upset that we will never get to see the story that was cooking within Silent Hills.

I just beat Downpour the other night and received a bad ending. It is definitely not an awful game and worth at least one playthrough. It does have a lot of bugs however, and takes forever to load at times. I think I'll eventually playthrough it again though as there were some missions that I really wanted to complete but never did. Honestly that game gave me OCD because there are a lot of side missions!

From what I remember of Origins, I still like Downpour more- maybe I'll revisit Origins though while I am on this Silent Hill kick. I just started playing Homecoming again, though, and still actually love this game. It truly is a respectable attempt at a SH game. Eventually I would like to rewrite Homecoming and make the story flow better.
I know a lot of fans hate the combat system for Homecoming but it honestly makes sense to have it that way since the world of SH rips things from dreams/nightmares.
Alex truly believes that he is a soldier, so naturally he is going to believe that he has the combat skills to fight and survive. Also his dad was a soldier and a police officer. Alex could have easily learned moves from his dad and from various combat magazines; which is what we find throughout the beginning half of the game. Unaware of what he was up against, it is clear that Alex was eager to please his father.

The combat system was a lot of fun too.

Last edited:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Thanks for listing some! I may just have to get The Mist seeing as I loved the movie so much. I think it's pretty cool that Laurie Holden plays a role in both the movie The Mist and Silent Hill. Do I smell a fan?

Definitely look into House of Leaves as it is a book that inspired them and is also pretty damn good. As far as I can tell, SH4 took a lot of inspiration from this book. Even the P.T. demo has some similarities! Makes me all the more upset that we will never get to see the story that was cooking within Silent Hills.

I just beat Downpour the other night and received a bad ending. It is definitely not an awful game and worth at least one playthrough. It does have a lot of bugs however, and takes forever to load at times. I think I'll eventually playthrough it again though as there were some missions that I really wanted to complete but never did. Honestly that game gave me OCD because there are a lot of side missions!

From what I remember of Origins, I still like Downpour more- maybe I'll revisit Origins though while I am on this Silent Hill kick. I just started playing Homecoming again, though, and still actually love this game. It truly is a respectable attempt at a SH game. Eventually I would like to rewrite Homecoming and make the story flow better.
I know a lot of fans hate the combat system for Homecoming but it honestly makes sense to have it that way since the world of SH rips things from dreams/nightmares.
Alex truly believes that he is a soldier, so naturally he is going to believe that he has the combat skills to fight and survive. Also his dad was a soldier and a police officer. Alex could have easily learned moves from his dad and from various combat magazines; which is what we find throughout the beginning half of the game. Unaware of what he was up against, it is clear that Alex was eager to please his father.

The combat system was a lot of fun too.
Hey no problem. Yeah I love both iterations. In fact a couple of these titles have film counterparts if I'm not mistaken. Also lol, yeah I noticed she was in both as well XD I hope I can find a copy at my local library. I go there often to get books recommended to me with a surprising amount of luck. Even the obscure ones it seems :happy:Yeah the fact that we'll never get to see Silent Hills is really a crushing blow to the franchise and just one more nail in the coffin I think. I love Kojima's work. I wouldn't know if it would have lived up to the originals or not but I sure as heck would have anticipated it. :sad:Thanks for kick us while we're down Konami.

Yeah I remember the game having a lot of side quests and whatnot. Boy did they want to keep us busy. You like it more than Origins so far? So I assume that means you enjoyed it then? That's good, I'm glad. :) You know, now that I'm looking back at it, I've heard mostly mixed or negativity when talking about Origins on most boards. It's understandable as it is a handheld title, so it's no surprise that it doesn't have the same level of presentation as the console games. I myself think the story is awful and the controls very wonky among other things. Still if I were to be honest, I think I enjoyed it more than Downpour, Homecoming and especially Book of Memories. Of course that's no diss to anyone who enjoys those games as it's all subjective and I honestly haven't played these games in years now. I mus ask, if you do plan to pick Origins up, which version would you look into? The handheld or console version? I recall the PS2 version being a bit too dark for me.

You'd like to rewrite Homecoming? Oh that sounds pretty interesting. I'd be more than happy to hear your changes. I don't want to discuss too deep into what I did and didn't like about Homecoming as I'm withholding that for more synopsis :paranoid:however I will say that new combat system differently made a huge shift in tone from the originals. I do often wonder how different the game would have been with the original control scheme... I doubt it would be different enough to make me like the game, but it is something a friend and I often postulate when discussing the franchise as a whole. We also discuss the opposite too.

Hmm...
J6MnND.gif

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Silent Hill is an amazing horror series and I am sad that Konami are a bunch of assholes and killed it. But here are my favorite games in order:
  1. Silent Hill 3
  2. Silent Hill 2
  3. Silent Hill
  4. Silent Hill 4: The Room
  5. Silent Hill ****tered Memories
  6. Silent Hill Homecoming
  7. Silent Hill Origins
  8. Silent Hill Downpour
I have yet to play Silent Hill Book of Memories though.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Silent Hill is an amazing horror series and I am sad that Konami are a bunch of assholes and killed it. But here are my favorite games in order:
  1. Silent Hill 3
  2. Silent Hill 2
  3. Silent Hill
  4. Silent Hill 4: The Room
  5. Silent Hill ****tered Memories
  6. Silent Hill Homecoming
  7. Silent Hill Origins
  8. Silent Hill Downpour
I have yet to play Silent Hill Book of Memories though.
Yeah Silent Hill has really changed my life honestly. It has open my eyes to all sorts of medias and even helped influence my sister to become a psychology major. I remember playing Resident Evil as a kid and thinking, "Boy it doesn't get any scarier than this." I'm glad I got to eat those words.

Also nice list man. You might want to stick around. I'll be doing a couple posts analyzing the timeline today.

This thread made me feel all nostalgic and I watched a let's play of silent hill 4 again.

Cradle of forest soundtrack :DD
God I love SH4's soundtrack. I remember having my mp3 player full of the entire soundtrack back in highschool. It lead to an awkward moment when a friend snuck up behind me and popped one of my ear buds in asking what I was listening too. At the time it was listening to "Nightmarish Waltz"

He just looked at me like. "Jesus. That's some intense trip hop-circus music." I honestly didn't know what to say so responded with "I know".

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Yep Silent Hill 4's soundtrack was my favorite of the series as well. I always loved the track "Resting Comfortably". It's a short track but it's so good. Very sad considering the revelation taking place when it starts to play in the game.

I'd probably say Silent Hill 3 had the next best soundtrack followed by Silent Hill, Silent Hill Homecoming, and Silent Hill 2.

Last edited:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Yep Silent Hill 4's soundtrack was my favorite of the series as well. I always loved the track "Resting Comfortably". It's a short track but it's so good. Very sad considering the revelation taking place when it starts to play in the game.

I'd probably say Silent Hill 3 had the next best soundtrack followed by Silent Hill, Silent Hill Homecoming, and Silent Hill 2.

Resting Comfortably echoes in my mind whenever I hear it. It really does leave me with an ease yet somber feel. Speaking of SH3's OST:

This track puts me on a spirit journey every time I hear it.

Dad? Daaaaaad? Dad!? I can't see your face......... Daad?
Surprisingly someone actually made a version with those vocals.

Now if only I could get the version with the woman's weeping sound effect when you finally leave the apartment. My life would be complete with that.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Yeah I remember the game having a lot of side quests and whatnot. Boy did they want to keep us busy. You like it more than Origins so far? So I assume that means you enjoyed it then? That's good, I'm glad. :) You know, now that I'm looking back at it, I've heard mostly mixed or negativity when talking about Origins on most boards. It's understandable as it is a handheld title, so it's no surprise that it doesn't have the same level of presentation as the console games. I myself think the story is awful and the controls very wonky among other things. Still if I were to be honest, I think I enjoyed it more than Downpour, Homecoming and especially Book of Memories. Of course that's no diss to anyone who enjoys those games as it's all subjective and I honestly haven't played these games in years now. I mus ask, if you do plan to pick Origins up, which version would you look into? The handheld or console version? I recall the PS2 version being a bit too dark for me.

Wow I forgot to respond to this post, sorry!
Yeah I remember being very board with Origins. I still own it for the PS2- I usually don't sell back games once I've beat them... unless they are purely terrible. But I remember there were some moments that made it worth a playthrough. Now that you mentioned it I do remember it being too dark!

You'd like to rewrite Homecoming? Oh that sounds pretty interesting. I'd be more than happy to hear your changes. I don't want to discuss too deep into what I did and didn't like about Homecoming as I'm withholding that for more synopsis :paranoid:however I will say that new combat system differently made a huge shift in tone from the originals. I do often wonder how different the game would have been with the original control scheme... I doubt it would be different enough to make me like the game, but it is something a friend and I often postulate when discussing the franchise as a whole. We also discuss the opposite too.

Hmm...
J6MnND.gif

Yeah it is definitely something I would like to do- perhaps some time soon. Silent Hill 4, Resident Evil and Resident Evil 5 are all on that list as well. I started a little bit of Resident Evil this summer.

I'm definitely curious to hear your synopsis on Homecoming though. :)

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
TIMEFRAME

NOTICE: This is all opinion based. None of the dates that I list are exact unless it is stated in game. Most of these conclusions are based on evidences and observations that I have pieced together. It's all in good fun :) Hope you enjoy.
harry_mason_gif_by_marlenetikymoto-d37cylg.gif

You know something I also find interesting about this franchise? It's the fact that the timeline is now a complete mess! It's so bad in fact that there would have to be multiple canons in order for it to all work. I know some games are purposefully meant to be stand alone titles but there are others that try to fit into a pre-established timeline and fail because of inconsistency or just outright retconning. I kind of tried making my own little table and would like to share it with you guys before getting into each game individually. Since I'm on the subject, lets touch on something relative:

There seems to be some unspoken rules that the original team seem to have set for themselves.

1. Don't show a dead persons face unless they've died on screen.
We've seen this multiple times in the games and I believe the reason for this is to leave some mystique for the player to wonder about these nameless faceless people without shifting the attention away from what's truly important at the time. It's one of the things I believe adds to the horror. Masahiro Ito (the orginal art director) never gave his monsters eyes and I believe the reason for this is it would give them a small level of humanity. Do you know of the old saying "eyes are the window to ones soul"? Well take that away and what are you dealing with? Something that can't be rationalized by human standards that's for sure.

Now let's look at some examples of human faces being obscured:
silent-hill-2-was-the-game-that-made-me-hate-myself-826-body-image-1426667971.png

apmt2.jpg

latest

silent-hill-2-was-the-game-that-made-me-hate-myself-826-body-image-1426667797.jpg

Harrys_Leiche.jpg

2. Don't recycle monsters.

I think this goes without saying. Ito was very specific with his monster use and never made any two monsters the same. There are no doubt similarities between some but that's as far as he went.
Ex:
sh1-enemy07.jpg
sh2-enemy04.jpg

Puppet Nurses Bubble Head
(SH1) Nurse (SH2)

Reason being, there is symbolic meaning behind every monster he made so any two monsters appearing in a following game destroys the weight behind said symbolism. Of course I'm sure we're all aware of how back and forth later devs would be with pyramid head, if not in design, either cheapening him as a concept in some attempt to replicate the SH2 formula. Reason being that's the fan favorite so I guess I should't be surprise lol.

Finally getting to my initial point-

3. Don't give specific dates to current events.

It is very important to note that no specific dates ever appear in any of the Silent Hill games that were developed by Team Silent studio. When they do, they're either one of the following:

• the month and day (and not the year),
  • time periods relative to the events of the game (like referring to the "events of 17 years ago" in SH3),
  • or it is just the year of an historical event in the past (such as the documents about the sinking of the Little Baroness).
  • Even documents that you would expect to have dates (such as newspapers, journals, diaries, patient reports, and police records) are intentionally left dateless (or at least ambiguous).

SilentHill2-labyrinth_newspapers.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Okay so you maybe asking, "So what's next?"

Well while no direct date has been given in game, there are hints that can help us place space between each game at the very least. Let's say Silent Hill 1 takes place in an unspecified time. Possibly present day, possibly sooner than that. Okay so, what comes next? Well we know that SH 3 takes place 17 years after SH1. Okay so that means:

SH1------------------------------SH3-----------------------
(???) (17 years later)

Alright so what about SH2 and SH4? Well what can we infer? Well if there's one thing we know it's that SH4 takes place after SH2 thanks to the Walter Sullivan case.
SilentHill2-trick_or_treat_murder.jpg

SilentHill4TheRoom-10_year_old_case_1.jpg

Okay but does SH2 take place before or after SH1? Well let's take a look back at Kaufman's claim when he meets Harry for the first time and... nearly shoots him despite him screaming "Wait! Don't shoot!" [Seriously Michael, wtf
ಠ_ಠ]

proof4_zpsmm7uyzwd.png

Kaufman whom is a fellow resident of Silent Hill and has been for years, asserts that the monsters in the first game are a new phenomenon. This alone suggests that Silent Hill 2 is only able to happen because the events of the first game have "let the genie out of the bottle", so to speak. There's also the fact that the town seems to be neck-deep in repairs and renovations in SH2. This is probably the aftermath of damage done in
SH1. Construction time is never really consistent, I mean the Golden State bridge took like 4 years to build didn't it? So I'll just go on a limb here and say it the construction probably took a number of years. Okay nothing concrete and I'm repeating myself at this point. Well let's take a step back and look at Heather and Douglas' situation. When they arrive in Silent Hill they check into a motel, implying that they drove into town with no problems right? They most likely interacted with the hotel manager in order to stay there too.
SilentHill2-blocked_road_1.jpg

SilentHill3-motel_1.jpg

Well what happens when we start roaming the streets as Heather? Things go right back to hell don't they. Monsters roaming the street all coming after her. This is most likely a result of
the fetus inside of Heather spreading the nightmare over Silent Hill once more.
Since the otherworld functions just as Harry said:

othw1_zpsfaaefmfh.png

othw2_zpszqjjddbj.png

that probably means the barricades that are keeping Heather from going too far opposite from the Amusment Park are a direct result of that nightmare as well.

Okay so that suggests that SH2 does indeed take place between 1 and 3, no surprise there. But that still leaves us with a 17 year window! Well this is where we have to speculate a little. Do you remember what James says about his wifes death in the beginning of SH2? He claims that she died of a disease 3 years ago.
We later find out that this isn't true and according to Laura, her death was actually much more recent (within a week in fact) I believe that James is remembering the time when Mary first became diagnosed as terminal. This would have been the point at which Mary died "to James", so to speak.
Now, Mary's letter at the end of the game does specify that she had lived with this illness for a few years. The literal term for "a few" is three I believe.I'm just going to throw out a number and see if can work; five years. Because there's a point in time where James claims his life chanced for the worst when he was forced to tend to her side. I would think it would mean he had gotten used to the life they were living before which would imply they were married for at least a number of years. This would also help put context in the fact that it took at least a year+ before it pushed him to do what he did. So if Silent Hill was peachy when they first visited that would mean it wasn't under construction when they first visited. Let's say it was maybe a year prior to SH1. I'd like to think Mary didn't get terminally ill until a little later. We do see her cough during her and James visit but otherwise she didn't seem at all afflicted yet. Much like stages of cancer which appear full-fledged at some point after living with it for a while. So lets say within a years time is when she became terminally ill. That would mean during the events of SH1 Mary had been diagnosed as sick and maybe the following year she had become terminally ill. If Mary had been sick for about four to five years then that would mean SH2 would be about four years after SH1. Again nothing concrete but it's something.

Okay so:

SH1----SH2-------------SH3-------
(???) (4 years lat.) (17 years lat)

Alright that just leaves us with SH4. So where does SH4 fit? As stated above SH4 no doubt takes place after SH2 because of the Walter Sullivan case. Again the word few is used again. This time I'll be a little more literal and say the Walter Sullivan case takes place three years before SH2. Since we know SH4 happens four years after that case, that would mean SH4 is about seven years after SH2.

That in fact places it six years before SH3!

SH1----SH2---------SH4------SH3--->
(??) (4 years lat.) (11 years lat.) (17 years lat.)

So for now we have our initial timeline for the "Team Silent" games. We'll be coming back to it later but for now we can move on and see how the first game not made by them fits.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Bottom