• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sienna Guillory’s potrayal of Jill was like Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man

MisterScott

Recently I rewatched Resident Evil Apocalypse because I was playing 2 and 3 a few days ago and thought it would be a good idea to compare the games to this movie because it was the closest the Anderson movies have gotten to being actually like the games, and as the title of this thread obviously suggests one of the biggest things I payed attention to was Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine and she for the most part was every bit like Jill from the Game universe during the Raccoon City era, not only she could’ve easily passed as her twin sister as far as appearance goes she also had the same background as a STARS Officer who survived the Mansion Incident (as indicated by the newspaper clips in the beginning) and also had a similar personality, voice and her action scenes were reminiscent of the original gameplay (she wasn’t like Alice obviously) and even had Nemesis out to kill her, but the biggest flaw with the movie counterpart was how obnoxiously out of character she was throughout the movie like when she smoked in front of everyone in the church, used excessive profanity and had that awkward feud with Alice, Sienna’s portrayal felt very familiar and gave me some dejavu and I just realised that the way she was potrayed was very similar to how Andrew Garfield portrayed Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man, I’m not not comparing the characters per se (Jill is obviously has very little in common with Spider-Man) but the way they were potrayed relative to their source material, like Sienna Andrew Garfield was a good choice for his role was a decent Spider-Man he looked like Peter Parker and had a great costume (especially in the second movie) had Spideys style of humour, the voice and the action scenes nailed pretty well but he has these obnoxious out of character moments as just like Jill did in the movie, he was disrespectful towards Uncle Ben and Aunt May and even had a argument with them which led to him smashing their glass door, and he also came across as a creepy when he stalked Gwen in the second movie and in general gave off a juvenile delinquent vibe, both characters who were more colourful in their source materials were given a darker grim treatment on screen which was done on purpose, Sony tried to make Spider-Man more dark to copy the Sucess of Nolan’s Batman films and made Peter more awkward and rebellious to make him more relatable to teenagers while Jill’s Character in Apocalypse was sabotaged because if she (or anyone else) was as good as her game counterpart it would’ve taken the spotlight of Alice and since Milla Jovovich is married to Paul Anderson he wouldn’t want that to happen because he wanted it to be HER franchise, but at the end of the day both of these character portrayals backfired and led to the movies becoming very unpopular.

So am I the only one who feels like Sienna Guillory as Jill in Apocalypse is Resident Evils equivalent (as far as treatment goes) to Andrew Garfield’s Portayal in The Amazing Spider-Man? whatever you whenether you agree or not I would like to hear your opinion.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
I hate Andrew movies, He took all characters spotlight only for his Wife to shine. Seemed like Alice is more important than Jill, Leon, Chris and Ada, She took all of these characters spotlights, made them look like some secondary supporting characters when they should be main

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
It looked like an amateur cosplayer found random things they thought looked slightly like Jill's and put them together. :razz:

MisterScott

It looked like an amateur cosplayer found random things they thought looked slightly like Jill's and put them together. :razz:

I slightly disagree here, I thought the costumes were of suprisingly high quality in the second movie, especially Jill’s outfit and the UBCS and the RPD/STARS uniforms, the costumes started to get bad sometime around the third movie when they chose to make it like a cheap version of Fallout for some weird reason.

I think the potrayal of the characters were worse though, Wentworth Miller wasn’t a good choice for Chris at all (was too skinny, had a shaved head and talked like Batman and came across as untrustworthy/suspicious) I can honestly say he was the worst adaption of any of the characters (I like Wentworth Miller he’s a good actor, just not a good Chris Redfield), Sienna Guillory did a good performance, her version Jill most of the time in Apocalypse was very accurate to her game counterpart but that was spoiled by the moments she had of acting like a anti social hoodlum.

Last edited:

Cure Zombrex

I liked Sienna as Jill, but honestly. I cannot help but think Selene and Alice may as well be the same character. Underworld and Resident Evil are so alike, it's almost uncanny. I'm very fond of the former film series. Normally, if I watch them in what I believe is the correct order, I start with the third movie first, because that's a prequel.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
One of the many things that bugs me with RE Apocalypse (aside from the crappy editing during the fight scenes and the whole "Alice shooting at, hitting and blowing up the gas tank of an airborne motorbike with two pistols held out about a foot above her head, without aiming down the sights" BS), is that the movies are meant to be on a completely different timeline to the games, yet according to the newspaper clippings in Jills apartment during her intro scene in RE:A, the Spencer Estate Incident still happened. But when we meet Chris in RE: Afterlife, he doesn't mention it even once, despite the fact that he should have been there because the Incident still happened in the movies reality (though, up til that point, the films had really only gotten Jill relatively accurate to the game version, because Claire never felt right, and Oded Fehr managed to go the other way and make Carlos badass). Basically, by mixing the timelines the way they did (intentionally or not), they only succeeded in making a mess of it, instead.
As for Sienna, she did a decent job with the role, but her American accent was horrendous, especially in the later movies.

MisterScott

To confuse things even more did you know that because of the retconning the later half of the Anderson movies are set in a alternate universe from the first 2? Evidence of this is that in Apocalypse it was revealed that the T Virus was created by the father of Angie (the Anderson universe equivalent of Sherry) so she can walk because she inherited a degenerative disease from her father who is confined to a wheelchair, whereas in The Final Chapter it was revealed that Alice is the clone of the Umbrella CEO who invented the Virus to treat her accelerated ageing, so the reason Chris doesn’t seem to be in STARS in Afterlife is because all the movie after Extinction ignore the continuity established in the first movie and Apocalypse so I’m pretty sure that one of the countless STARS officers in the background where supposed to be Chris (and possibly Barry as well) but was later retconned.

Cure Zombrex

Jill and Nina from Tekken are so alike. I'm amazed that few people notice that. It is weird though to see her go from being a cop to a civilian to a bodysuit yielding assassin type character in the space of just a few games. But honestly. Resident Evil has jumped the shark quite a bit. At least the prequels are cool and more like the games we're interested in playing again.

Top Bottom