• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sheva Alomar

Cure Zombrex

Unless they based another game in Africa, I don't see how she could come back. Although she should. She was the co-slayer of Wesker, after all.

Zacmac90

Did they ever mention what part of Africa she's from? I dont think she's a local of the place that Resident Evil 5 is set in

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Did they ever mention what part of Africa she's from? I dont think she's a local of the place that Resident Evil 5 is set in
To my knowledge they never said where she was from exactly.

On another note, I wouldn't mind them bringing her back but I feel like they should have a good reason to do so if they did. (And hopefully her AI will be a little smarter next time.) To be perfectly honest, though, I'd probably prefer it if they brought Josh back instead.

Cure Zombrex

And to think the woman who co-killed Wesker ain't going to matter any longer, because she's African! Seriously, Capcom. It isn't taboo to put a character of a certain race in another game just because it isn't in that country.:sad:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't think it's that she doesn't matter any longer, I think it's that they're taking the series in a completely different direction. I mean Wesker is gone now and it's not like Sheva was supposed to be a mainstay anyway.

In fact, if I remember correctly, the game didn't even include her originally but after the first preview came out and the reaction was that the game was racist, Capcom spent almost a year throwing her in there before we saw anymore game footage.

And to be perfectly honest, you can tell. I mean Josh not only has more backstory than Sheva but better AI as well. To me it was always a bit obvious that she was a rather rushed add-in to quiet the criticism of a white protagonist shooting black people in Africa. (Which was the major complaint about the game when the bits were released.)

I would have preferred it if, instead of adding Sheva as Chris's partner, they added Josh. Sheva seemed like a token to me but it seemed like Josh was already planned to be in the game.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I would have preferred it if, instead of adding Sheva as Chris's partner, they added Josh. Sheva seemed like a token to me but it seemed like Josh was already planned to be in the game.

Funny you should say that, I'm almost certain Sheva (as well the forced co-op) was a direct result of people's accusations of Capcom being racist after the game's first trailers. They might have tried to smooth that over with Token Black Platonic Lady Partner Sheva.

MisterScott

Funny you should say that, I'm almost certain Sheva (as well the forced co-op) was a direct result of people's accusations of Capcom being racist after the game's first trailers. They might have tried to smooth that over with Token Black Platonic Lady Partner Sheva.
You know what else is funny? Some of the enemies you encounter are not even black despite being allegedly African, the Angry Mobs that attack you have these extremely pale guys who don’t even remotely look African which makes me suspect that they got retextured and possibly their models tweaked to make the game seem less racist, also I’m sure everyone remembers the blonde European looking damsel in distress that got infected and attacks you in one of the first few levels.

Cure Zombrex

Well, at least Capcom acknowledged Alyssa Ashcroft in 7. Kind of like how the opening to 0 has a mention of Sheena Island, so yes, Survivor counts as part of the series. It's not like they 100% forget about people from the past. But where they are now, nobody knows these days. Sheva is way more important than them. Where is her trip down memory lane?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't think it's that she doesn't matter any longer, I think it's that they're taking the series in a completely different direction. I mean Wesker is gone now and it's not like Sheva was supposed to be a mainstay anyway.

In fact, if I remember correctly, the game didn't even include her originally but after the first preview came out and the reaction was that the game was racist, Capcom spent almost a year throwing her in there before we saw anymore game footage.

Exactly. If RE8 and the games that follow are anything like RE7, it will be a miracle if we even see Jill again at some point, let alone Sheva. But knowing RE, even if 7 had been a normal entry in the series, I'm sure Sheva would still have ended up like all the other sidekicks we've had so far: Lost and forgotten after the only game they starred in, even if they clearly survived.

I read somewhere that Sheva was actually a part of RE5's concept for a long time, just not in the same capacity as in the finished version, but rather as a supporting character that shows up every now and then. I'm not going to look it up, though, because it will only make me cry again for how much better that previous concept was... Not that I don't like RE5 as it is, but there could have been so much more to it!

As for Chris's partner, I wish it had been Rebecca. I know it was said that she quit fighting and yada yada, but I can easily imagine a situation where she meets Chris in Africa as a doctor/scientist treating people and researching the new parasite or something like that, and then the situation gets out of control, forcing her to pick up a weapon again. I mean, the same thing happens to Claire all the time and no one complains about that. Also, Wesker's line about the "family reunion" would have made even more sense with another mansion survivor among them rather a complete outsider, and I'm sure less fans would have complained if it had been Rebecca killing him alongside Chris.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Exactly. If RE8 and the games that follow are anything like RE7, it will be a miracle if we even see Jill again at some point, let alone Sheva. But knowing RE, even if 7 had been a normal entry in the series, I'm sure Sheva would still have ended up like all the other sidekicks we've had so far: Lost and forgotten after the only game they starred in, even if they clearly survived.

I read somewhere that Sheva was actually a part of RE5's concept for a long time, just not in the same capacity as in the finished version, but rather as a supporting character that shows up every now and then. I'm not going to look it up, though, because it will only make me cry again for how much better that previous concept was... Not that I don't like RE5 as it is, but there could have been so much more to it!

As for Chris's partner, I wish it had been Rebecca. I know it was said that she quit fighting and yada yada, but I can easily imagine a situation where she meets Chris in Africa as a doctor/scientist treating people and researching the new parasite or something like that, and then the situation gets out of control, forcing her to pick up a weapon again. I mean, the same thing happens to Claire all the time and no one complains about that. Also, Wesker's line about the "family reunion" would have made even more sense with another mansion survivor among them rather a complete outsider, and I'm sure less fans would have complained if it had been Rebecca killing him alongside Chris.
After all the racist claims, it's doubtful that we would've ever seen another mansion survivor in the game but if I could've chosen who I would like to have in the game with Chris, I would've either wanted Jill (with a different concept of course) or Barry (if the concept was the same).

I honestly didn't mind having a local as partner though and, though elements of her character and concept could've been a lot better, I don't mind Sheva as much as I used to. She's not exactly a bad character, she's just not who I think anyone wanted in the game and it didn't help that the end result definitely made her seem like a rushed addition.

Zacmac90

Why is there so much racist talk regarding this game? I never heard **** when they set the game in Spain.

But yea some of the enemies didnt even look like they were of African Origin

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Why is there so much racist talk regarding this game? I never heard **** when they set the game in Spain.
A few people actually did complain, but that was because the Ganados in RE4 speak Spanish in a Mexican dialect in what's supposed to be Spain, so it was changed in promotional material that RE4 just takes place in some nondescript Spanish speaking country. Then again, the same material calls him the Arms Dealer instead of The Merchant (And I think we all know which name stuck).

Anyway, here's the 2007 E3 trailer. No suspiciously multicultural Majini, no Sheva, and Chris using Leon's Handgun from RE4.

I wish there was a leaked prototype or something, I'd love to play Chris solo again, just once.

Zacmac90

Ah well nevermind than...I just always heard Resident Evil 5 gets alot of crap because people seem to take offense to a white man shooting a bunch of black people.

And really? I didnt know that about the Ganados I just assumed they were speaking Spanish but I'm very rusty with that language lol. Must admit, not knowing what they were saying when I first played kinda scared me a bit

Cure Zombrex

Nothing in the game was remotely racist. What was racially offensive? There was just African people infected by parasites and so they turned evil, as was the case for the most part in any other game. So people implying that it was racist, is dumbfounded. In that case, will they accuse 6 of being racist due to it being set in China? If so, that's silly and they need to take a breather.

Top Bottom