• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Shadows of Rose DLC

Ikawaru

First impressions were terrible, seemed even dumber than 'Village', which despite the cringe plot, at least allowed for some degree of strategic play and a certain degree of solidarity. This seemed like it threw all that out the window, doubled down on the supernatural and the linearity.

However, it is picking up a little bit, some of the puzzles I've encountered are actually in line with classic RE and there's even some parts of the game that require stealth, which is a relatively new concept to RE, the closest thing to that was RE2R with Sherry hiding from Irons, and also Jack from RE7, but it was poorly implemented in the latter case. Would be interesting if Capcom added more in depth stealth elements in future titles.

Can't say I like the magic elements and the story though, lets hope this nonsense ends here.

I don't consider this a spoiler considering it's one of the very first reveals in the opening cutscene but in the year 2036 it is revealed that Chris and the Wolf Hound Squad still exist. I mean Chris would be in his 60's at that point and in that line of work doesn't usually call for grandpas you'd think he'd be retired by then. So yeah, expect more Chris and Wolfhound Squad in future titles and don't count on them going away or changing insignias in the immediate future.

Now back to playing...

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Unless I missed something, they never say Chris is out in the field, he could be working a desk job or something with the squad having recruited younger people. Which would make sense considering he's trying to recruit Rose.

I like the DLC so far.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I haven't tried Rose's DLC yet since I'm currently replaying the main story in third person. I have to say though, it's quite confusing when the camera constantly shifts between third and first person for cutscenes. Ethan's animations in third person don't look that great either, and it becomes very obvious that the combat and controls were not made with "over-the-shoulder" in mind. I almost hate to break it but I think I actually prefer this game in first person, but that's just because it feels so clumsy in third person.

Ikawaru

The fact that this is Resident Evil now honestly overshadows the third-person gameplay for me.

Yeah, I have to say, despite 3rd person being an improvement and making the game less clumsy in my view, 1st person did make the game seem harder to maneuver and aim for me which made the overall game seem more difficult than it actually was. With 3rd person I am shooting up the game with relative ease even on 'Hardcore' difficulty and makes the flaws of the game seem more glaring than it did before.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I started the Shadows of Rose DLC last night and I am really enjoying it, but I am so tired of games not giving you enough ammo and asking you to run past enemies. Just let me murder everything. From a respectable distance. lol. It is fun having a good story element to add in the supernatural elements and I really like a lot of the enemy design so far. I have completed through the first location and have started the second and I am hoping to finish tonight!

Jonipoon

I really enjoyed Shadows of Rose, much more than the entirety of Village. I didn’t except to like Rose as a character but she’s quite fun to play as. Yes, the dialogue is cheesy and generic, but it somehow just works. Fun, engaging gameplay with smart use of the fungi and Rose’s powers that keeps surprising you. It doesn’t feel that much like a ”Resident Evil” game, but that’s not what I expected either.

It gets a 7.5/10 from me.

RipvanX

Part of me really hates and despises the direction RE8 took the series, but I realize that a lot of the themes, such as superpowers, have always been part of it ever since Code Veronica. Seeing Rose use Shiva powers does not feel like traditional RE gameplay, but it makes me realize how cool it would be to control Alexia and spew fire blood in a mercenaries type mode. This is something that a game like RE:Verse needs and should go all out with more characters and special abilities. I mean Dead by Daylight has Wesker dashing around now so why the hell not?

Ikawaru

Part of me really hates and despises the direction RE8 took the series, but I realize that a lot of the themes, such as superpowers, have always been part of it ever since Code Veronica. Seeing Rose use Shiva powers does not feel like traditional RE gameplay, but it makes me realize how cool it would be to control Alexia and spew fire blood in a mercenaries type mode. This is something that a game like RE:Verse needs and should go all out with more characters and special abilities. I mean Dead by Daylight has Wesker dashing around now so why the hell not?

I have a hunch that if 'Code Veronica' was released just a short time later, as a PS2 showcase title, and Mikami didn't decide to go full 'Gamecube exclusive' with the franchise, 'Code Veronica' would have been the 'Silent Hill 2' of Resident Evil and every game thereafter would be replicates of it, LOL. Not sure if RE4 stealing the show was the better outcome, but 'Code Veronica' is certainly that title that attracts drooling Westerners.

Timing, sometimes, can alter history!

Jonipoon

Even as a PS2 title I think Code Veronica would've been considered a bit "too far out", not to mention difficult, for being a golden standard for everything to come after it. RE4 came at the right time when focus was switching more into action, and gamers wanted things to be faster and more intense. The fact that both Code Veronica and RE4 had gothic supernatural atmospheres is just a coincidence, I think.

WeskerLives2015

I enjoyed this DLC. My only complaint would be Capcom reusing the ending from the main story. I wish we could have seen who was walking down the road!

Redd Storied

I read and agree with most of the complaints posted here, especially regarding:
Resident Evil's recent pseudo-supernatural direction,​
the massive 16 year time jump and its implications for the series' timeline (I suppose Chris cannot die in any games taking place between now and 2036)​
and the forced messaging around finishing the 'Winters Saga' (a 'Saga' comprised of two games focused on one of the series' least memorable protagonists?).​

However! I enjoyed the DLC for what it was, though I did go in with low expectations to begin with. There were some horror-focused portions that made for fun enough playing in the Halloween season, and Rose's powers, while canonically perplexing, refreshed the gameplay enough for the DLC's brief playtime. I concur with the comparisons made between this and End of Zoe; besides the re-use of assets and a quick tie-up of a dangling plot thread, both also have in common the pretty weak recycling of a main antagonist, under the canon excuse of, "OK, now you've beaten them."

Top Bottom