• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Separate Ways DLC (September 21st)

Turo602

The King of Kings
Originally announced during State of Play last Thursday, here is the official launch trailer for the Separate Ways DLC coming this Thursday on September 21st for only $9.99.

I know some people don't think they should be charging extra for this DLC, but those people clearly originally played it on PS2, as the side content was never available on the original Gamecube release. However, the original also did have Assignment Ada which isn't present in the remake nor is it even canon, and I honestly don't think anyone really misses it. I know I don't. Regardless, I don't mind this as DLC, especially for a measly 10 dollars, which is way less than the norm these days. I am however worried that the price is reflective of a short and rushed gameplay experience. What we've seen so far looks great to me and vastly superior to the original Separate Ways, which I've honestly never really been much of a fan of. Hopefully this version feels like a much more complete gameplay experience rather than chopped up segments stitched together by cutscenes. At the very least, it seems many of us were right to assume some of the main campaign's cut content was going to be repurposed for Separate Ways, which works perfectly for me as it cuts down some of the bloat of the original campaign while simultaneously giving Ada her own specialized content within the game's setting, replacing the much more dull moments of the original.

Ikawaru

Should have been included with the original release, tbh. Capcom really dropped the ball hard what with ditching union workers*, microtransactions, and what is apparently cut/unfinished content being released as paid DLC with 'Separate Ways'.

Capcom has gone back to being Umbrella Corporation, which is saddening considering they appeared to be on the uppity up with RE2R release.

*Not a fan of unions myself, I don't really see a point to them especially that it's pretty proven at this point that business ecosystems are far more effective than trying to drive a wedge between employer and employee with unionization, but for a company like Capcom they appear to be cutting themselves off from good talent when they do this, and alienating a good portion of their fanbase by being inconsistent with their business practices.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
So the ridiculous laser corridor is part of the game after all... They just felt its spy-like aesthetics suited Ada better than for Leon. Makes sense.

I will play this once I have the time for it.

Jonipoon

Now this is what I'm talking about. As someone who never quite got into the original "Separate Ways" because I found it too boring, this remake version is a big step up in terms of storytelling and gameplay as well as complementing Leon's main story.

Although I wasn't a fan of the DLC throwing you right into a boss fight from the beginning, the game quickly improved afterwards and featured some really fun and engaging combat. Ada's new voice actress, whom I really didn't like in the main game, grew on me and now I appreciate her cold and possibly intentional "monotone" delivery a lot more than before. I liked how we got to see more of Ada's personality and ambition: What does she really want and gain out of this? Although Ada's true intentions remain a mystery at the end, I feel like this game made me understand her character a bit more than before. It was a treat seeing her help Leon from the shadows, giving a bit more insight as to how she feels about him.

My favorite part of the game was undoubtedly the addition of Martinico, the so called "Unknown Test Subject". The build-up and execution of this encounter was extremely well-done and reminded me of classic monster encounters in the OG RE trilogy. I guess the location and the lightning of the scene in particular also contributed to its effectiveness - easily the most "horror"-like aspect of the entire game. Unlike every other monster in RE4, I felt actual empathy for this creature, similar to how I felt for Lisa Trevor and William Birkin. My only complaint is that we didn't get to see MORE of Martinico, because this is what survival horror should be like.

I would argue that this version of Separate Ways is even better then RE4 Remake itself, because it feels amazingly structured and thought-out in every single way. I feel like this is what the B scenarios in the RE2 remake should've been like if Capcom had spent 1 more year on development, instead of rushing out two incomplete B scenarios just to make the fans shut up. That of course begs the question - Should Separate Ways have been included in the base game? Maybe. But 10 dollars is basically nothing and I'd say that it's worth every single penny. By releasing it 6 months after the base game it probably also gave them a tiny bit of time to polish the DLC even more.

At the end, the game raises questions about where the story's heading next. I've seen some reviewers claiming that this sets up the long-rumored remake of Code Veronica, but I digress. If anything, this feels more like a teaser for an eventual RE5 remake which is bound to happen. I don't think Capcom cares about Code Veronica, especially after how they treated the RE3 remake like absolute dog sh*t. It seems like the love and care they put into both remakes for RE2 and RE4 will be brought over to RE5 simply because of sales numbers.

Last edited:

RipvanX

Late to the party due to irl craziness but I will share my thoughts here. This was definitely a step up from the original Separate Ways and the RE2 songs they chose to use that were omitted from RE2R were given justice here and used appropriately. The pacing was great and felt less choppy. The use of the grappling hook on enemy shields was a great idea. My only nitpicks with it are the overuse of Pesanta and trying to make him like a Nemesis type. It’s like M-Two is trying to make up for RE3R and incorporate more stalker like enemies. I thought the new U-3 fight was not as good as the original either, and that 2nd phase of the fight with the centipede and adding Novistadors was one of the most irritating boss fights. I never had anything against the laser hallway but it makes you wonder why they bothered to put QTE’s in if they don’t challenge the player. One button QTE prompts feel insulting, the original is still one of the best examples on how to properly utilize QTE’s without becoming excessive or mundane.

Wesker being in the village was weird, like why bother sending Ada at all if he had enough time to infiltrate and save Ada. Why not just go get the amber yourself what is he so busy with? Overall this was a very good DLC and I hope when the inevitable RE5R comes that M-Two gives LiN and DE DLC’s the same treatment if they are brought back.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Late to the party due to irl craziness but I will share my thoughts here.

Same. Life is absolutely ****ed for me as well but the best you can do is stay on the path and take it one step at a time. Stay low key, turn the volume down, and keep going. Works for me, anyway.

But yeah I don't have much to add except that this IS certainly better than the base game, but that is not unusual for tightly and neatly packed DLC's of this nature. Which reminds me that RE6 probably mostly sucked because the game play was terrible in the worst dimension imaginable, rather than the story content itself. Also, Jake. Biggest wasted opportunity ever, but maybe we can get an RE game in the future with 4 extremely well done scenarios. :)

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Wesker being in the village was weird, like why bother sending Ada at all if he had enough time to infiltrate and save Ada. Why not just go get the amber yourself what is he so busy with?
Same reason he was on Rockfort Island in Code Veronica. He had mercenaries working for him there as well who attacked the island doing his "dirty work" so to speak, while he operated mostly behind his computer. He only revealed himself and got into the action when absolutely needed. Wesker is a sneaky coward, always has been.

SaddlerFan

I tend to think part of the reason why Wesker didn't go after the Amber himself is because he never had any intention of actually grabbing it. The way he looks at Krauser while he's handing the Amber over to Osmund really suggests he knows that Krauser as the one the scientists on the island experimented on with the Amber is just as good as (or even better than) the Amber itself. It's all a smoke screen. He probably even suspected that Ada wouldn't give him the Amber once she has it. It probably came in super handy for him that Leon killed Krauser so that all he had to do was to pick up Krauser's body.

Either way tho, I wonder what Wesker would have done if Ada had been killed or had succumbed to the parasite she was infected with. Would he have gone after the Amber or Krauser himself? I'd have loved to see him fight Osmund. Now THAT would have been a battle to behold.

Ikawaru

He had mercenaries working for him there as well who attacked the island doing his "dirty work" so to speak, while he operated mostly behind his computer. He only revealed himself and got into the action when absolutely needed. Wesker is a sneaky coward, always has been.

By this logic, every single person in authority who has subordinates is a coward. I mean why be a manager or a military officer or a police chief if you can't just DO ALL THE WORKING AND THE FIGHTING AND THE CRIME SOLVING YOURSELF. It's just human nature, man, 3D life is a bitch.

I would define being a coward as someone who wants to do a certain thing -by any means necessary- but doesn't have the balls to do it, and Albert Wesker does not fit in to that category. He is certainly pitiful and a very bad karmic force that no sane human would want to do business with, but I wouldn't call him a coward.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Finally got around to Separate Ways and holy **** is it good. I wouldn't say it's better than the base game, but it's definitely of the same quality (even if a little too linear) and perfectly compliments the experience, making RE4 remake the most complete package since the original remake in 2002.

Ada's voice actress and outfit actually grew on me during my first playthrough now that she's given more to say and do. Still not my favorite but much more passable after the initial shock of hearing her the first time. Though, I'm not going back to the sweater after unlocking the dress which is just way more kick ass.

Also really liked how they incorporated a lot of cut segments from the original game to make Separate Ways more engaging without needlessly bloating the main campaign with every little combat idea. I was actually surprised to see the gondola section return in the island given the first one you see in the village where you think it would take place. But it actually suits the more militaristic theme of the island a lot better which is yet another example of just how much more thoughtfully crafted this game was in general.

I was also surprised to see the cage fight return despite already being somewhat used in Leon's campaign in the cutscene right before you take control of Ashley. This was one of the cuts I found to be a little disappointing as it was one of the original game's more frightening moments that admittedly was a lot cooler conceptually given its poor execution. So it was cool to see the battle repurposed to knights as opposed to a garrador, though the archers are still pretty f*cking annoying.

The Black Robe was also a really cool touch that felt like this game's answer to the Hookman, with how Ada is infected and the world becomes more blue in its presence. It's just a shame you're never really chased by it despite pursuing Ada in the story, which was honestly the most tense part of the U3 encounter before you fight it in the original. But I'm glad they kept it in as its design was always one of my favorites.

But my favorite returning segment would have to be the laser room, which not only suits Ada better, but is actually given context for existing, being Martinico, which is easily the most shocking and disturbing thing in this entire remake as it didn't even exist in the original and is unlike anything else in the game. It felt so out of place which is exactly why it worked so well, and I actually really like @Jonipoon's perspective on it as well as I didn't really see it that way at first, but it's definitely been a bit of a trope in this series. It's just a shame the encounter is so scripted and short lived.

Overall, I really enjoyed Separate Ways. It's a massive improvement over the original in content, gameplay, story, and replayability. My only gripe is just how prominent the grappling hook has become to Ada as a character. It's just way too over the top the way she zips around and defies physics with it constantly, though its utilization in combat was pretty cool. I'm also left extremely confused by her characterization and her relationship with Wesker. I always thought she was a double agent or something working with a mysterious organization, but here, she only seems conflicted over Wesker's plans when he foolishly reveals the extent of them.

Firstly, why does Wesker need her at all when he has his own team and is more than capable of ripping everyone to shreds with his own bare hands and is physically present? Then when she betrays him, he refuses to shoot down her helicopter for no reason... Who even is she and why does she have so much plot armor or relevance? The fact that they've remade 2 and 4 and there's still no clarity to who she is or what she's doing really cheapens her character after 6 failed to shed any light on it and at this point, I'm sure Capcom doesn't even know either. Also, was there any reason they stated most of the island wasn't destroyed? Seemed like an odd detail to throw in if it didn't have any significant implication.

RipvanX

Wesker probably wanted to wipe out the Los Illuminados since they would have most likely went after him after taking the Amber. So that is why the bomb failure was mentioned. Wesker’s involvement also confuses me and why he even bothered saving Ada in the village. After Ada helped him escape the castle he could have easily met up with Louis and the rest would have been history. It’s left ambiguous what he is even doing but if he had time to save her then he is within running distance especially with his agility.

As for Ada zipping around, at least she’s not literally zipping into a train going at high speeds quite yet.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Wesker probably wanted to wipe out the Los Illuminados since they would have most likely went after him after taking the Amber. So that is why the bomb failure was mentioned. Wesker’s involvement also confuses me and why he even bothered saving Ada in the village. After Ada helped him escape the castle he could have easily met up with Louis and the rest would have been history. It’s left ambiguous what he is even doing but if he had time to save her then he is within running distance especially with his agility.

As for Ada zipping around, at least she’s not literally zipping into a train going at high speeds quite yet.
I think the implication is that Ada purposely sabotaged the bombs, but like why? You would think wiping the island would be a good thing for everyone, so why have it survive? I actually just rewatched the scene today where he saves Ada. He did it to take a blood sample from her because he likely knew she was infected. She even mentions it to him on the island when she says "who's blood are you after this time? Mine or Saddler's?" But it still doesn't really explain why Wesker ever really needed Ada when he has a whole team of people and his superpowered ass self that can do what she does without any of the risk of betrayal. He had no problem doing field work in any of the prior games and even Umbrella Chronicles.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Ada's character has always been a mess in terms of allegiances and motivations, so I didn't expect any of those to be fully explained in this one either. It's interesting however to hear some of your perspectives on the matter, such as Ada being more closely affiliated to Wesker actually taking away some of the mystery surrounding her. I didn't see it this way but now when I read it I understand the confusion.

In the end however, expecting Capcom to explain loose threads in the Resident Evil universe is like expecting water to turn into red wine.

Ikawaru

RE6 made it clear that Ada's true allegiance is with the Chinese government, which she is a secret agent of. Just like Leon works for US government as secret agent. Leon and Ada are twin counterparts.

There are no deep implications with Ada temporarily collaborating with Wesker, her and her Chinese patrons simply see it as a means to an end. In 'Umbrella Chronicles', Wesker shares his overall admiration for Ada and her talents, even if he knows she's ultimately not reliable to his cause, which could be translated as Wesker showing his more human side behind the monster and why he chose not to kill her outright.

Last edited:
Top Bottom