• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sega

Ayen

Resident Critic
How many people here are a fan of Sega? Be it their past or current days.

Sega was one of the big three I had growing up. The other two being Nintendo and PlayStation. I didn't own one personally, but my brother did. He owned a Genesis, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I never got to play on his Dreamcast before he sold it, but I did play on the others. Though the only Saturn title I remember clearly is House of the Dead. I think that's the title of it.

The Genesis was the system that stood out the most to me. Battletoards & Double Dragon, X-Men 2 Clone War, Cyborg Justice, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Mortal Kombat II, and Doom. I also played Streets of Rage, Sonic, Comix Zone, Road Rash 3, and a couple of the Disney games.

Discuss.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I was a big Sega fan in my childhood, I had both the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis growing up and enjoyed my Genesis more mostly because of games I had on it such as all the Sonic the Hedgehogs, Aladdin, Beavis and Butthead, and Streets of Rage, The Super nintendo had ports of Aladdin and Beavis and Butthead but I remember feeling that their Genesis counterparts where much better.

My love for Sega fizzled when Sega Saturn launched without a main Sonic game, its value as a console was hit tremendously in my eyes because of it so I moved on to the Nintendo 64 and only got a Dreamcast towards the end of its life cycle when it became cheaper than the PS2.

Last edited:

Ayen

Resident Critic
I was a big Sega fan in my childhood, I had both the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis growing up and enjoyed my Genesis more mostly because of games I had on it such as all the Sonic the Hedgehogs, Aladdin, Beavis and Butthead, and Streets of Rage, The Super nintendo had ports of Aladdin and Beavis and Butthead but I remember feeling that their Genesis counterparts where much better.

My love for Sega fizzled when Sega Saturn launched without a main Sonic game, its value as a console was hit tremendously in my eyes because of it so I moved on to the Nintendo 64 and only got a Dreamcast towards the end of its life cycle when it became cheaper than the PS2.

I remember Beavis and Butthead!

Yeah, I think the Genesis Aladdin is much better than the SNES. Genesis had that blast processing that worked well with action games. When I play the SNES counterpart of a Genesis game I can really feel just how slow it is.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
There really were some fun games to play on Sega Megadrive.

I spent hours on various Sonic games, Streets of Rage, Ristar, Cosmic Spacehead, a Formula 1 racing game, Taz... I'm sure there are more games we had, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Turo602

The King of Kings
We never had a Super Nintendo, but my brother had an NES and a Sega Genesis which I got to play with quite a lot because both my brothers were busy with their Playstation and N64 at the time. I played a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Knuckles. We also had Aladdin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. I also got into Streets of Rage way later when it hit the Wii Virtual Console and til this day, Streets of Rage 2 is my favorite beat'em up game.

I never had any loyalty to Sega though. We didn't have an SNES but I also enjoyed other Nintendo consoles at the time. At one point, I was interested in getting a Dreamcast only because I never had a console before and my brothers already had the others. It didn't happen, but looking back, it's easy to see why it failed and today, it's a rather obsolete machine as you can pretty much get all of its games elsewhere.

Sega struck gold in the Genesis era, but looking at their history, it was nothing more than a fluke. They were a one hit wonder.

Ayen

Resident Critic
Yeah, that's what make me sad. They were like the WCW of gaming. Real successful for a couple of years, but they had no idea how to follow it up.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
We never had a Super Nintendo, but my brother had an NES and a Sega Genesis which I got to play with quite a lot because both my brothers were busy with their Playstation and N64 at the time. I played a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Knuckles. We also had Aladdin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. I also got into Streets of Rage way later when it hit the Wii Virtual Console and til this day, Streets of Rage 2 is my favorite beat'em up game.

I never had any loyalty to Sega though. We didn't have an SNES but I also enjoyed other Nintendo consoles at the time. At one point, I was interested in getting a Dreamcast only because I never had a console before and my brothers already had the others. It didn't happen, but looking back, it's easy to see why it failed and today, it's a rather obsolete machine as you can pretty much get all of its games elsewhere.

Sega struck gold in the Genesis era, but looking at their history, it was nothing more than a fluke. They were a one hit wonder.
Much like you, I don't have loyalty to Sega. As a hardware developer at least. Deamcast is my favorite system of all time, but other than that, I'll take Nintendo every time. That said, I am very loyal to select Sega IP's.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I remember my dad borrowing a mega drive (genesis for USA peeps) from some guy at work when I was about 8 or 9 in 1991 - I had never seen anything like it before. Sonic the hedgehog seemed so unbelievably fast and colourful, I could hardly watch the screen and keep up. We've now got so many emulated games from all the old Sega systems on our PC, but I'll never forget playing the very first Sonic game and just being utterly astounded.

I also just about recall adverts where the tagline was "to be this good takes sega" with Sega spelled backwards until the end, so it said Ages. I liked that.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
When the Sega Genesis came out, I loathed it. I decided I would never get it since I was already loving all of my content on the SNES. But then I played Sonic 1 at my grandma's house (My Teen Uncle had the Sega) and I demanded one for Christmas. I got it - and played through a bunch of Sega games, but I still mostly stuck to playing SNES due to how great the Donkey Kong Country series was!

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Oh my days, donkey Kong country! My neighbours got a SNES and there were, like, 8 of us crowded around their wide-screen TV (they were wealthy, we most definitely were not and had a tiny square TV we rented from a shop in town) just playing and playing and playing that game. It was unbelievable at the time, real nostalgia

Ann_39

We had a SNES system when I was growing up but I liked Sega more.

Last edited by a moderator:

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Yeah, that's what make me sad. They were like the WCW of gaming. Real successful for a couple of years, but they had no idea how to follow it up.

No kidding, they thought it was a good idea to do a surprise launch of Sega Saturn, which severely cutback on the development of their launch titles and had a big hand in the system and company's eventual fallout from making consoles. It didn't help that it was extremely hard to develop for (the N64 was easier).

This is a great vid on the matter:

It's too bad because I was a die-hard Sonic fan growing up and the Genesis holds a special place in my heart. I also admire a lot of their IPs as a developer. Sonic, Streets of Rage, House of the Dead, Virtua Fighter (I'm dying for a VF6), Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star Online, Sakura Wars, Yakuza, Virtua Cop, etc. They make (or made) so many great franchises and games that it's sad what they've become, though they've started to bring back some of their old IPs in recent times, we're finally getting a Streets of Rage 4.

Ann_39

I agree. The Donkey Kong series was my favorite of all the SNES games. But I use to think the games were kinda strange lol. Esp. the second one.

Last edited by a moderator:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
If you thought the second one was strange - look back at the third one. It stars Dixie Kong and her over sized nephew, Baby Kong. The first boss in the game is an angry Barrel that burps up the insects you throw in to it's mouth. And you trade money to bears to get access to new areas of the map. They were all a weird, beautiful time.

Top Bottom