• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Scariest movie you have ever seen

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'll admit, Poltergeist scared the f*ck out of me as a kid. I was one of the many poor young souls who was duped into seeing it due to its infamous PG rating.
In fact, I wanna know: how many lawsuits actually resulted from all the severely traumatized kids?

It should've been and was rated R until Spielberg appealed it. And yes, it would still be rated R today for this scene alone contrary to what some might argue:

No movie with a guy tearing his own face off would get anything less than an R, not when The Conjuring can get an R rating just for being mildly disturbing and not having any graphic content, bad language or nudity in it. It even had a scene with a woman getting raped by a ghost (the bedroom scene), another thing that would automatically lend it an R.

And on that note, bumpitybumpbumpbump.

That movie was what sparked my fear of clowns.

My thoughts haven’t really changed since I first posted on this thread. I mainly want to reiterate The Blair Witch Project because that movie still leaves me looking over my shoulder after I watch it. The original Amityville Horror was also terrifying growing up, the music still gives me the creeps. Conjuring 2 is an honorable mention.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I don't really tend to watch scary films nowadays - a lot of them really don't sit well with me, spiritually, to be honest. In my youth, I went through them like crazy and they didn't really affect me... although, I did have a nightmare about Nightmare on Elm Street a few years ago, even thought I haven't seen any of those films in about 20 years.

Poltergeist was a genuinely creepy movie and anything pertaining to possessions and exorcisms and whatnot are movies best avoided IMHO.

MisterScott

I don’t really get scared by movies but if I’d had to pick I say that Deliverence is one of the creepiest I have seen recently (for those who are unfamiliar its about these men on a camping trip in the 1970s who have to survive Predator style in the woods against violent horny rednecks).

I used to think that Aliens and the Silent Hill Movie were creepy when I was 6 but now while they are still good movies I see them more as action movies than horror now probably because I can see through the dated special effects (especially for Aliens) and anything involving the Supernatural doesn’t scare me at all anymore because I don’t believe in Magic.

Cure Zombrex

As a guy who has just about every horror sequel with an entry on IMDb, not many films scare me these days. I guess films with cannibals are scary because of the effective score and anything with Leatherface type antagonists in dark places far from civilization.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I was one of those kids who's parents didn't mind letting me watch horror films, so its very hard to legit scare me. Of course, jumpscares still get me on occasion. And I have found some horror films to be unnerving, like Insidious. The first one. The others were a letdown, imo. But I've never been absolutely terrified by a scary movie. I love watching horror films though.

MisterScott

I was one of those kids who's parents didn't mind letting me watch horror films, so its very hard to legit scare me. Of course, jumpscares still get me on occasion. And I have found some horror films to be unnerving, like Insidious. The first one. The others were a letdown, imo. But I've never been absolutely terrified by a scary movie. I love watching horror films though.

I don’t consider jump scares to be real scares, they have more in common with surprises that actual fear.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don’t consider jump scares to be real scares, they have more in common with surprises that actual fear.
I do agree with this point. Jump scares are literally like someone sneaking behind you and going boo. That's not scary. You don't punch things that are scary.

MisterScott

I do agree with this point. Jump scares are literally like someone sneaking behind you and going boo. That's not scary. You don't punch things that are scary.

Horrifying, violent characters (or monsters) and scary situations will always triumph a cheap lame jump scare, in my opinion the Resident Evil Games have various textbook examples of both which are easily comparable to a lot of horror movie tropes/cliches.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda

Well, it depends on how it's built up. With the proper build, jump scares can be hella terrifying, like in the It 2017 remake. You know something's gonna jump out at the screen at certain points in the film, but you can't pinpoint exactly when so it maintains that sense of dread throughout.

MisterScott

Well, it depends on how it's built up. With the proper build, jump scares can be hella terrifying, like in the It 2017 remake. You know something's gonna jump out at the screen at certain points in the film, but you can't pinpoint exactly when so it maintains that sense of dread throughout.

What you described sounds like suspense combined with a jump scares, jump scares alone are not scary.

Cure Zombrex

"Fluffy" the crate monster from Creepshow. :twisted:

tumblr_ms7a1yUvXZ1s488ujo1_500.gif

Top Bottom