• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revelations 2 Revelations 2 and references to Franz Kafka

AlexiaAshford

I don't know if it has been talked about here -- but apparently, there are plenty of references to Franz Kafka's (a German writer) work in Resident Evil Revelations 2.

caps.png

The name of each episode from the game corresponds to the name of one book written by Kafka. The most famous of those books is the remarkable "The Metamorphosis"-- a history about a guy who literally turns into an insect.

Thoughts?

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Those episode titles remind of MGS3: Subsistence's discs.

Subsistence, Persistence and Existence.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I saw someone start up Barry's campaign on YouTube the other day, and it started with a quote from Kafka. I think they're going to go all out with that stuff.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Interesting find. I'm not all too familiar with Kafka's work, but what I know is that his works rarely make sense when you first read them, you have to dig a little deeper to understand the true meaning. It's a nice throwback to Revelations 1, though, because that one also made references to a famous author/poet (although I wish they had done more with Dante's Divina Commedia).

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I've seen a lot of people saying that Kafka's work is hard to grasp, but I've never really had a problem with it myself. It is usually fairly layered and often dark as hell, but not that difficult to get a read on. I would recommend checking it out, for sure! And I agree with your Dante comment, Hel.

Also, more on topic, I would like to add my thoughts on Metamorphosis from another thread:
I actually thing something horrible is going to happen to Natalia above all the others...

...largely because of this memo found in the beginning of Barry's campaign (which you can see him pick up in this preview at about 4m30s:
)...
nat0_zpszxrvizth.png

...the fact that her bracelet is always red...
nat1_zpswml8zkkm.png

...and the mere title of the fourth and final episode.
nat2_zpskutn74r7.png

I believe it's not too much of a stretch to think that her ability to sense the monsters comes from the fact that she technically is one already. If that is the case, I feel like she could transform in the final chapter of the game, forcing Barry to have to kill the very person that helps him find and his daughter.

Of course, this is all just conjecture at the moment, but it's conjecture that makes sense.

Now, they could easily have something else in mind, of course, but I still feel this to be one of many plausible theories.

AlexiaAshford

I only read "The Metarmophosis" and "The Trial" -- and a recurring theme in many of Kafka's works is an authority figure who is mysterious, untouchable and makes the protagonist's life very difficult.
In The Trial, for example, the main protagonist was prosecuted for a "crime", but nobody tells him what crime he actually committed or tells him who decided to prosecute him in the first place. He has very limited access to information.

I thought this fact could be somehow related to the villain in this game; the villain is unknown, doesn't show herself yet seems to be in control of everything. I wouldn't be surprised if her identity was only revealed later in the game or in the last episodes.

AlexiaAshford

Now, they could easily have something else in mind, of course, but I still feel this to be one of many plausible theories.

Hm, what if Natalia is indeed infected, but for some reason she is immune to some of the virus' (or parasite, or whatever it is) effects? I don't really think she is going to die. She is most probably an exceptional case of someone who has special immunities, like Jake and Sherry.

Top Bottom