• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII confirmed.

Turo602

The King of Kings
RE4 already changed the camera perspective before for better or worse, though from what I've seen, most people have already accepted that as all it did was give you more control over your character while still retaining the same gameplay as the originals. Something RE7 doesn't have which coupled with a radically different camera perspective in which you don't see your character at all is a pretty drastic shift from the series no matter how in denial some people want to be. Besides, if RE7 was in third person, I can bet a lot more people would have been satisfied, including those gushing over the first person perspective.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
RE 4's change was just about as drastic as RE 7. People back then used to play RE with the original tank controls and fixed camera, TP didn't really maintain original controls because they needed adjustments in RE 4 due to the lack of auto aim and the way you view the surrounding area in TP and fixed camera is obviously different, this aplies the other way around to the newer fans who want to play classic fixed camera like Remake or 0 HD. Whereas the gameplay transition from TP to FP is easier and you do not gain less control in FP as matter of fact you gain more if you play it in VR with head tracking and motion controls. TP does improve the original fixed camera gameplay and so does/will FP. The notion that FP characters can't be memorable or iconic has also been disproven by other IPs.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Prior to the announcement of RE7, how many people went around saying "I love RE because of 3rd person"? Maybe you thought that, subconsciously, but to my knowledge nobody paraded it as the sole determinant in what made RE what it is. I'm not saying if you do feel that way you're being hypocritical. You didn't have a reason to voice that opinion until 7 was announced. But Capcom had no reason that I can tell as to why they would've wanted to avoid first person. Nobody said if they switched from 3rd person they'd give up on the series. And as for the sickness and general discomfort, I personally hadn't heard of these problems with other first person games, so I didn't even know it was a factor. If as many people hate the switch as you seem to think, and still hate it after the game's release, then it would make sense for them to change it back. But I don't think it was sacrilege for Capcom to try it in the first place. So as far as I can tell the best course of action is to try to be receptive to the changes, and then ultimately judge the final product.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I get sick a lot if I play first person games without taking Gravol or something for it, but I'm usually fine with the first person RE games because they're slower, so I have no concerns about 7 being first person.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium
I'm not too worried that it's going to be in first person. The lack of the iconic characters is what's bugging me more. Personally the whole FP thing should've been optional anyway.

Some are going to like these changes, and some people aren't. The only thing we can really do is adopt a 'wait and see' attitude. Though expressing views beforehand is fine also. Even if those views may change later on.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Re1 main cast
Jill
Chris
Wesker
Supporting:
Barry
Rebecca

Re2 main cast:
Leon
Claire
Supporting:
Sherry
Ada (mentioned in Re1)

Re3 main cast:
Jill again
Supporting:
Carlos

Re4 main cast:
Leon again
Add again

Cv:
Chris again
Claire again
Wesker again

Re5:
Chris again
Sheva
Jill again (kinda supporting character)

Re6:
Chris again
Leon again
Jake
Supporting:
Helena
Sherry again
Piers

Re0:
Rebecca
Billy

Rev1:
Chris again
Jill again

Supporting:
Parker
Jessica
Quint
Keith

Rev2 :
Claire again
Barry again

Supporting:
Moira (mentioned in Re1)
Natalia

Then there's the Inbetween games which also featured Chris, Jill and leon.

Cgi films cast:
Leon again
Ada again
Claire again
Soon: Chris and maybe rebecca

Point being:
The staple four characters has pretty much always been:
Jill
Chris
Leon
Claire

One of these have always been in one game or the other from the start (excluding Re0) and even some spin offs.

The cast of rezzy has grown considerably as the series has grown but one of the main four characters has always been involved.

And now the long awaited sequel being re7 has seemingly dropped all main and supporting cast. This is why it feels like a spin off title to alot of people and not a main series sequel.

Then there's the added issue of dramatic gameplay alteration (and yes it could work)

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Wait someone was able to data mine a ps4 game? but yes 3 gb patch just for an extra room and a couple of items is just too much tbh. TGS is still ongoing so we might see more stuff.

Somehow apparently. Someone hacked the game and managed to score an unheard sound file or something.

There's a rumor that the demo includes more stuff that is currently locked and Capcom will open it up in the near future.

A lot of people are working together to crack it here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233599&page=154 One guy claims to have gotten through the door in the attic and has screenshots to back it up.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
From TGS presentation it's pretty much confirmed that item box will be back
UPDATE: Save room is also confirmed.

Translation: "Item Management"
Oo21RDQ.png

and this could be the healing animation
resident-evil-7-bioham7oaf.jpg

Somehow apparently. Someone hacked the game and managed to score an unheard sound file or something.

There's a rumor that the demo includes more stuff that is currently locked and Capcom will open it up in the near future.

A lot of people are working together to crack it here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233599&page=154 One guy claims to have gotten through the door in the attic and has screenshots to back it up.
This is not good for Sony though, it could open up the possibility of ps4 games being pirated sooner. TGS isn't over yet there might be more info tommorow.

Last edited:

Fenris

Wolf :)
I was very sceptic at first (espically since the lack of 'original characters' but if you think about it RE was never really about Chris, Jill, Leon or Claire. It's more the fact that they were simply "there") but now I'm really looking forward for the new game! It really seems like Capcom is trying to reinvent the franchise just like they did with RE4. Can't wait to see how it will turn out. The new trailer gave me some strong RE1 vibes.

Last edited:

black 93

If you ask me, the only thing seperating this game from previous ones is the first person view and the lack of returning characters. The exploration, the inventory management, the isolated setting, the atmosphere, the limited combat, seems pretty RE to me. Seems more true to the original formula than 4,5 and 6 or the Revelations games if im being totally honest.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Just wanna recap on things that have been confirmed in RE 7 so far
- Herbs / healing items
- Item box
- Limited RE 4 / tetris-style inventory
- Guns: pistol, shotgun, flamethrower and explosives
- Melee weapons: axe, knife and chainsaw
- No microtransactions
- No Co-op
- No QTEs
- Gameplay in VR will have 3 different modes to comfort the player
- The hardest difficulty of the game is called Madhouse
- The wheelchair figure isn't Wesker or Spencer
- VHS segments in the final product
- PS4 Pro support with 4K and HDR graphics
- 4 additional short side stories and 2 bonus episodes for the main story in the DLC

If you ask me, the only thing seperating this game from previous ones is the first person view and the lack of returning characters. The exploration, the inventory management, the isolated setting, the atmosphere, the limited combat, seems pretty RE to me. Seems more true to the original formula than 4,5 and 6 or the Revelations games if im being totally honest.
Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
This is not good for Sony though, it could open up the possibility of ps4 games being pirated sooner. TGS isn't over yet there might be more info tommorow.

Not really. Consoles have been hacked for ages. Especially the Xbox's. They'll just need to deny online services to hacked consoles. Plus it's hardly worth the effort to do it anyways. It takes all the fun out of the game imho. Console hackers are just a bunch of jerks.

Turo602

The King of Kings

Yeah, but a lot of those things aren't guaranteed until we see the actual game and first person and lack of core characters is a pretty huge deal. First-person view isn't just a change in camera like when the series first shifted to third person. Which admittedly did take away certain elements of horror allowed by the fixed camera but it also retained the same gameplay that the series is known for which RE7 completely revamped. Though to RE4's credit, it was experimenting with a new kind of horror that wasn't reliant on fixed camera tricks which could have worked out a whole lot better had the game not been so easy and action oriented. That aside, RE4 - Rev 2 all still felt like I was playing Resident Evil, just in a more linear and less scary fashion.

Also, Resident Evil has always been a character driven franchise which is a huge part of why the fanbase loves Resident Evil's lore so much. RE7 may have some elements of the original games which definitely counts for something, but story and gameplay have got to be 2 of the biggest aspects of any video game franchise that needs to stay consistent. The lack of a series regular already makes RE7 suddenly less interesting than something like RE6 from a story standpoint and the radical change in gameplay makes me a lot less excited to play this game because it's not gonna feel like I'm playing a Resident Evil game. Just like Halo Wars 2 isn't going to suddenly feel like I'm playing Halo 6. The change is too drastic despite whatever elements it may have in common.

I absolutely love that Resident Evil is finally embracing survival horror again but in doing so, they made 2 unnecessary changes to quite possibly the only things keeping the franchise afloat since its departure from survival horror. So really, the situation with RE7 is no different than before. Either way, you're making a sacrifice.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
New screenshot
88e299ec77e2ab1e545af3d90d092bea.jpg

- The Russian one is basically options menu, display, sound, music, reset to defaults
- Somebody translated the file: "The German part talks about Pete, Andre and Clancy, that they went from New Orleans to Dulvey for a video production and that they have been missing since the "9th of this month". The rest just mentiones that they produced videos about haunted houses for the Internet."
- The Arabic one looks like a loading screen

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
It's really just a round and round debate between the fans who are upset for lack of past characters (and other changes) and the fans who are in full swing on everything shown so far. It's also pointless to keep discussing it when others have an 'I'm right and you're wrong' mentality.

No one is saying that a zombie apocalypse can't involve other characters- of course something like that would drag many different lives into the mix. But the game series has always involved the same iconic characters, as @Spikeyroxas listed, and that is the perspective we are coming from.

Not saying that the new characters won't be likeable- because they just might be once we all get to actually play this game. But understand that this is a big change. I'm sure the bulk of the fanbase didn't rush out for RE6 because of characters like Helena or Piers (though they did establish their own fanbase after the game was released).
But maybe this game will give Capcom a chance to focus on what they want to do next with characters like Chris and Leon because those two have a lot of unfinished business since RE6.

As far as 'YouTube' likes are concerned, I really don't think that that is even a good way to base the stats of what fans are thinking and liking with the trailers. I personally haven't hit the 'thumbs down' button for anything yet because it is all up in the air still and I'm going to give the game a try despite having changes that I know I don't care for.

That all said:
The healing animation looks cool and it's nice to see that there is going to be an item management box.

Last edited:

black 93

Maybe a better way to introduce new characters would be to have them debut in a game alongside old characters. That way, new characters could be built up and maybe even mentored by older characters (eg Chris and Piers). That would be a win win situation, as old characters wouldnt be totally cut out but at the same time, newer characters could be introduced and maybe given the lead in the next game.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I'm sure the bulk of the fanbase didn't rush out for RE6 because of characters like Helena or Piers (though they did establish their own fanbase after the game was released).
Yeah Piers has a very... zealous fanbase.

I mean I think it makes sense to have completely new characters for the type of game they're making. Whether you agree with the game they're making is in itself a different discussion (and one we're also having here but I'm gonna focus on the character thing for now). It seems like given the route they're going with here, new characters would provide a kind of vulnerability that the old characters simply don't have anymore. They've all got some serious plot armor as we've seen over the years, and they're too experienced to react the same way as the main character of this game likely will. Plus it sounds like some people are saying that RE4 was different because the skeptics felt after actually playing the game that it did feel more RE than they initially gave it credit for, but we haven't played RE7 yet so how can we say for sure that this is different?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yeah Piers has a very... zealous fanbase.

I mean I think it makes sense to have completely new characters for the type of game they're making. Whether you agree with the game they're making is in itself a different discussion (and one we're also having here but I'm gonna focus on the character thing for now). It seems like given the route they're going with here, new characters would provide a kind of vulnerability that the old characters simply don't have anymore. They've all got some serious plot armor as we've seen over the years, and they're too experienced to react the same way as the main character of this game likely will. Plus it sounds like some people are saying that RE4 was different because the skeptics felt after actually playing the game that it did feel more RE than they initially gave it credit for, but we haven't played RE7 yet so how can we say for sure that this is different?

The job of a survival horror game isn't to scare the fictional character in the game. It's to scare the player. Batman is way more hardcore than any character in Resident Evil yet his game had one of the biggest scares in video games. It's not that hard to take a strong character and put them in a scary situation for the player. They did it in Lost in Nightmares so that excuse doesn't really work.

Also, it's quite obvious why we can say RE7 is different. Just like it's obvious why RE4 is different. One lacks the horror and design established by the originals and the other lacks the core gameplay and characters established by the series. Just because each game did or is doing things right doesn't dismiss what they did wrong. I still love RE4 because I love the series' gameplay and story almost as much as I love survival horror but I'll still always fault it for its shortcomings as a Resident Evil game and RE7 is no different. It may be scary again and aiming for a similar design as the originals, but it just doesn't look or play like a Resident Evil game and even if I do end up enjoying the game for what it is (like I have been since RE4), I'll still fault it for what it's doing wrong.

black 93

The job of a survival horror game isn't to scare the fictional character in the game. It's to scare the player. Batman is way more hardcore than any character in Resident Evil yet his game had one of the biggest scares in video games. It's not that hard to take a strong character and put them in a scary situation for the player. They did it in Lost in Nightmares so that excuse doesn't really work.

Also, it's quite obvious why we can say RE7 is different. Just like it's obvious why RE4 is different. One lacks the horror and design established by the originals and the other lacks the core gameplay and characters established by the series. Just because each game did or is doing things right doesn't dismiss what they did wrong. I still love RE4 because I love the series' gameplay and story almost as much as I love survival horror but I'll still always fault it for its shortcomings as a Resident Evil game and RE7 is no different. It may be scary again and aiming for a similar design as the originals, but it just doesn't look or play like a Resident Evil game and even if I do end up enjoying the game for what it is (like I have been since RE4), I'll still fault it for what it's doing wrong.
You know what dude, i know so far iv been white knighting this game but in regards to past characters, you have a point there. Im all for new characters and i understand Capcom wanting to expand the universe, but they didn't necessarily have to scrap old character's completley. I think Capcom were just so determined to make the game scary again, that it may have been hard to make the game convincingly scary with these characters that have years of combat experience. But as you said, it's about the player. I think a better way would have been to add these characters gradually, sure introduce Ethan in RE7, but also put Jill in there or something. Finish Jill's story (which has been left hanging since RE5), Put a lot of effort in Ethan's character, make him likeable, make us care about him, then make him the lead in a future game. Or at the very least, made a new character that has some connection to known characters. Moira was a great example. She was a new character, but we all cared about her straight away to some degree because she was Barry's daughter. We all cared about Claire in RE2 because she was Chris' sister. Who knows Ethan may have some connection to past characters that we don't know of yet, but im more convinced he's a total newbie.

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
People back then had higher standards, some did not consider RE 4 to be RE game even with Leon and Ada on board. So I think both characters and camera count, but they're not everything. Yes the purpose of survival horror is to scare the player who's playing the game which is one of the reasons why first-person works in RE. You get the better feel or experience of what's going on in first-person gameplay while at the same time it still can develop and establish characters regardless of whether they're new or not just like third-person or fixed-camera

Last edited:
Top Bottom