• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Reboot Ideas

Turo602

The King of Kings
So hypothetically, if the series were to get rebooted, what direction would you want the series to go? Would you reuse the same story lines, locations, characters? Would you lean towards horror or action? Get creative, share your thoughts.

I've been having a few ideas going for a while, which I'll share if there's any interest in this thread. So go nuts. :happy:

Light_One5

Movie Reboot yeah.
On a serious note, it’s too early to talk about reboots unless they’ve already messed up RE7. RE6 just seemed like they made it clearly on RE fan choices (Both Classic and Over shoulder FPS) as well as an exhibition for their “Framework 2.0” game engine. Capcom really didn’t care about RE6 at all.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't want a reboot, and I don't think it would make sense either, so I've never given it much thought.
I guess the point of a reboot would be a return to survival horror (if you can even call the old REs that; after all, you did have weapons to fight the enemies and there was more than enough ammo if you just took your time to look around instead of rushing through the game, so that's not really what "survival horror" means in my book), but we've already been promised said return several times and it never worked (unless the artificial scariness of Leon's RE6 campaign actually impressed you), which leads me to believe that Capcom are just unable to deliver that old atmosphere again, and a reboot won't change that.
Besides, I've grown so fond of the characters and storylines of RE that I wouldn't want to miss them, but then again, if they reboot the series just to tell the same stories with the same characters again, what's the point? Then they might as well continue the series as it is and maybe do another remake or two.
That being said, a reboot would mean the death of RE to me - probably, not definitely. We'll see. But I'm still interested in your ideas.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Some simple horror changes could really improve it:

Such as zombies being more zombie like
The addition of infection dangers
Limited ammo
No bodies melting on death.
Possibility of bodies raising after dead (bring back crimson heads)
More puzzle items and sections.
Don't bring background characters to kill off to show dangers, make an actual scary situation.
Make the melee less powerful, as if you would to 3 kicks on a zombie and explode it's head.
If there's a final boss, don't make it a bad guy of the series. I honestly find it annoying when the main bad guys happen to turn into giant unstoppable monsters rather than just normal zombies.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I think a REboot would be okay AFTER the current story is finished. They should end it with RE7 or RE8, then start a whole new reboot.

Go back to the mansion incident, but make changes. Make the mansion completely different, add new bosses, and what have you. Use Chris and Jill again, but at the end, canonically make one die. I think RE should really focus on killing off more characters. Keep if very horror oriented, almost to the point of Silent Hill, but a different type of horror.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Movie Reboot yeah.
On a serious note, it’s too early to talk about reboots unless they’ve already messed up RE7. RE6 just seemed like they made it clearly on RE fan choices (Both Classic and Over shoulder FPS) as well as an exhibition for their “Framework 2.0” game engine. Capcom really didn’t care about RE6 at all.

Not really, since it was considered a possibility not too long after RE6. Plus, this is just hypothetically. What would you guys do with the series?

A reboot isn't as crazy as it sounds. The series has been all over the place and has been facing a bit of an identity crisis. Really, a reboot is just a shot at reestablishing the series. The characters don't have to change, the story is gonna have to be remixed, and the gameplay is what's gonna really define the reboot. RE6, from a story perspective was pointless. You could go into the next game and not miss much having skipped RE6. I can guarantee it. Plus, RE5 was already the swan song of the series. But that's not really the point here, like I said, hypothetical situation here.

Anyway, my ideal reboot would focus on survival horror with action mixed in, only to create a different kind of horror and not just for the hell of it. It would abandon co-op and feature some really cool yet disturbing set-pieces like seen in the recent Tomb Raider. I've always had an idea of a prequel for the series, something that happens even way before Zero, so this first game in the reboot would take place somewhere in the 1800s in strange caves and villages. Something about a village at night is just plain creepy, so I went with it. It was a harsher time, so I want to see the occasional hanged body, maybe even see one drop down and chase you. I was also thinking about a different take on plagas in this game, so they don't always require a human host.

Now I've been mixed on the main character here. I was thinking either Billy Coen or a Redfield, as in an ancestor to Chris. Anyway, the main character would die at the end by the hands of Albert Wesker. My plan for Wesker in this reboot is that he becomes the main character's companion at some point in the game, and can even be used to complete some puzzles that require an extra hand. He's mysterious, but one of the good guys, until he encounters something supernatural that possesses him, makes his eyes glow red, and turns him into that sick twisted bastard we all know and love who'll eventually screw over Chris Redfield and the rest of S.T.A.R.S in the present.

I know it sounds a little unusual, but I was thinking that it's different enough to be a new take but still covers the plot of the series.

Last edited:

black 93

personally i think the best thing they could do for resi is end it before they milk it anymore. The worst case scenario in resident evil was always gunna be a global outbreak, and that happened in RE6. Not really sure what they'd do next. Capcom cant win because the older games wouldnt sell today other than with the die hard fans and the newer games dont sit that well with anyone it seems lol. So i think they should just give the first 3 and code veronica a HD remake for the older fans and let resi go out on a good note :)

Popo

I agree with the above. Make a Resident Evil 7 and end the story in a way that it makes sense(even though after 3 it stopped making sense for me) and stop, it must come to an end, it shouldn't have to continue forever. If you want more releases, then RE2 is more than worthy of a remake, since it is their most selling Resident Evil(I think). If anything else, release the outbreak series for psn and put online play back on.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I agree with the above. Make a Resident Evil 7 and end the story in a way that it makes sense(even though after 3 it stopped making sense for me) and stop, it must come to an end, it shouldn't have to continue forever.

There's too much unresolved with Resident Evil. One game won't be enough to cover everything and end the series. Also, why shouldn't it continue forever? There's plenty of material to work with, even then, the point of a reboot is to revitalize a dying series. Just look at the latest Tomb Raider. Plus, it's insane to want Capcom's biggest IP to die. It won't happen.

If you want more releases, then RE2 is more than worthy of a remake, since it is their most selling Resident Evil(I think). If anything else, release the outbreak series for psn and put online play back on.

As good as that sounds, it's rather pointless if you suggest for the series to end. BTW, Resident Evil 5 is the best selling Resident Evil game.

Anyway, this isn't really what this thread is about, so I'd appreciate it if everyone would actually go along with the thread and not just say why a reboot is a bad idea. I'm not saying the series should be rebooted nor is it what should be discussed here. I made this thread to give us fans some creative control over the series in a hypothetical scenario.

Popo

I never said that there shouldn't be a reboot, I said that the current story of Resident Evil should end at 7 imo.
Maybe I was a bit confusing when I said the next releases should be as mentioned above, but if a reboot is to be made, make it good, not like what they have been doing with the current.
I agree with mantaining the characters while providing a different story, I don't think it fits the context but maybe instead of a chemical outbreak what about someting like a curse causing the infection? About gameplay, I like the old camera angles better BUT I really don't mind the behind the shoulder thing. And make the fact of being attacked by zombies(yes pls) cause infection, kinda like in outbreak, but in someway improved, I believe the main characters are not immune to the virus, are they?
But I would still make RE2 remake the priority while working on a reboot.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Yeah What I think they should do would be to end the story at around a 7 or 8. Whatever happens.

And actually start a different series altogether (Can't think of a name)

What I believe may be a good Idea is rework beta concepts. Maybe start the new series with the Beta Re5 Concept.

Single Player. A Soldier exploring reports of this and that. Yadde Yadda.

And go from there.

Because I can say honestly the Beta Re5 would have been the Best RE to date. Period

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
So hypothetically, if the series were to get rebooted, what direction would you want the series to go? Would you reuse the same story lines, locations, characters? Would you lean towards horror or action? Get creative, share your thoughts.

I've been having a few ideas going for a while, which I'll share if there's any interest in this thread. So go nuts. :happy:
I'd never rehash story-lines from the games people hold most dear. If anything, for me it'd be a Resident Evil in name only. The series has now become synonymous with action packed sequences of epic proportions, which isn't entirely bad.

The REboot I would love to see is a literal survival horror game. No HUD, no crosshairs; absolute realism. Many of the core game mechanics would center on the usage of the darkness as both an aid and a hindrance. As in reality, you'd have to wait for your character's eyes to adjust to the dark and that makes using firearms all the more dangerous; is one kill worth blinding yourself to be mauled by dozens?

The story would be more an 'as it happens' type of thing. The narrative would focus on the protagonist's life both before the outbreak and during it. You're there when it starts and are able to choose any direction in which to flee. Do you risk the high route and block yourself into a twenty story killbox or do you run for the police station as they are scrambling units and risk being infected by recently picked up carriers? The protagonist could be a created one with one of several fixed backgrounds that alters where you are when it starts and what equipment and burdens you begin with. If you're a soldier recently returned home from Afghanistan, you have to look after your children that refuse to leave your side while you take them on a walk through a park. Do you start as the rookie police officer (a nice little wink to the much adored Leon) on his first beat where you have access to a car, a shotgun and a pistol but face being carjacked by another survivor (something more on that in a second)? Or would you want to start as most of us would start an apocalypse; witnessing it on TV?

It's something seldom covered by films; the Dawn of the Dead is one of the few films I can recall where it begins as the outbreak begins. There might be more, but honestly, very few films (and I don't count World War Z as a horror/zombie film) depict the initial struggles to cope; Apocalypse kind of did that, but by then, the virus had infected a large chunk of the population.

By "a created [character]", I would love for their to be a comprehensive creation system that allows customisation of most of the body and face; the usual fare really.

The carjacking that I referenced would be one of many dynamic events, and by dynamic, I mean purely random and they can be happening to other NPCs while you attempt to escape. Vehicles, particularly larger ones, would be used as a sort of currency to purchase large quantities of weapons. If you can find a car with fuel in it, you can siphon out the fuel and use that as a currency to purchase ammo, knives etc.

The overall objective of the game is simple; survive, escape and kill. You have five in-game days to make it out of the city and that'll be difficult; depending on where you try and escape, you have one or several significant issues to overcome but I haven't figured them out.

Never would I subject this idea to being tortuously depicted on the Xbox 360 and PS3. High end PCs, Xbone and PS4 would be the only platforms that would suit this game.

(NOTE: I came up with these ideas literally as I was typing so there maybe some repetition or vague concepts. It's difficult to imagine how you'd revamp an entire game series; pondering a completely 'unique' game is elementary compared to this dilemma.)

Top Bottom