• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Resident evil new timeline confirmed

• Thread starter Deleted member 21244
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21244

So to all the people who thinked that re 2 remake was non canon this official story trailer pretty confirmed that re 2 remake is the new canon alongside re 3 remake

Enjoy it

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I guess both the old and new games are canon at the same time, it just makes sense for Capcom to market the remakes of RE2 and RE3 in a recap video. Even if the remakes aren't canon, why would they market the old games? That would be a ****ty marketing strategy since they want people to buy the new games.

D

Deleted member 21244

I guess both the old and new games are canon at the same time, it just makes sense for Capcom to market the remakes of RE2 and RE3 in a recap video. Even if the remakes aren't canon, why would they market the old games? That would be a ****ty marketing strategy since they want people to buy the new games.
I think original and remake are both canon, just different stories
Re 2 remake and re 3 remake are just part of a new canon and timeline i guess, that dosent take out the previous game out

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It only matters to be able to determine chronology of events.

I like that it is in it's own Universe. Rather than rewriting the events and having everything mismatched, this is a new Universe for the RE series. This means they can make significant changed to events if they want to. Which is good. REmakes are fun, but I think this opens up territory to really diversify the new time line. Maybe even take down Spencer in a different way?

D

Deleted member 21244

It only matters to be able to determine chronology of events.

I like that it is in it's own Universe. Rather than rewriting the events and having everything mismatched, this is a new Universe for the RE series. This means they can make significant changed to events if they want to. Which is good. REmakes are fun, but I think this opens up territory to really diversify the new time line. Maybe even take down Spencer in a different way?
I don't think they are going as far as to remake the game entry and change resident evil 5 storyline... As someone pointed out maybe they can expand the resident evil story background and put more detail on various things that happened in the re universe, just like they showed Spencer and alex younger design

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Of god damn course these remakes are the new canon. Jesus this is annoying. All this does is create plot holes, inconsistent story telling, and a disregard for their original work. REmake2 did NOT improve upon the already existing canon. In fact, it cheapened it. And now they're making this the main timeline? Ya know Capcom, for everyone one step forward you're taking 3 steps back...

D

Deleted member 21244

Of god damn course these remakes are the new canon. Jesus this is annoying. All this does is create plot holes, inconsistent story telling, and a disregard for their original work. REmake2 did NOT improve upon the already existing canon. In fact, it cheapened it. And now they're making this the main timeline? Ya know Capcom, for everyone one step forward you're taking 3 steps back...
Both the original and remake are canon, so if you like the original more than the remake you can still play them, nothing changes, you still had to play re code veronica 4 5 6 and 7 after re 3 original and the same goes for the people who love the remakes and will play re 3, this makes everyone happy and it's a total win

Turo602

The King of Kings
Both the original and remake are canon, so if you like the original more than the remake you can still play them, nothing changes, you still had to play re code veronica 4 5 6 and 7 after re 3 original and the same goes for the people who love the remakes and will play re 3, this makes everyone happy and it's a total win

Exactly. I never understood why people get so wrapped up in details and canon when it's all essentially the same stuff. It's no different than the original game's conflicting scenarios, yet the series progressed just fine somehow.

D

Deleted member 21244

Exactly. I never understood why people get so wrapped up in details and canon when it's all essentially the same stuff. It's no different than the original game's conflicting scenarios, yet the series progressed just fine somehow.
Yeah, you are right, I don't bother whit canon either especially in the re series

if we are going into all the details than re 1 should not be canon at all but it's part of the canon despite having two conflicting scenario, but who cares?
People can still enjoy every re game they want, the original, the remake, they are all part of the same story
Re 2 original and remake are in the end the same in a sense, leon and Claire journey will always continue in re 4 and code veronica in any way, despite the fact that you play the original or the remake, the story its the same, Capcom is not taking out the original re 2 and re 3

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think someone is taking the events of a video game a little too seriously. No one has discredited the Holiness of the original RE2 but as @Jonipoon so diplomatically pointed out, pushing the brand new games is better marketing than being like: "Yeah but you still need to play the old ones!"

Doesn't change the fact that every OG Resident Evil fan still has the originals and will break them out at will.

Calm down.

D

Deleted member 21244

I don't think you guys realize how Canon works.
I think i know a bit, but talking about Canon in the re universe is just non sensical in a way

Capcom stated during re 2 development that re 2 remake didn't take the original re 2 out of the story, but thst it was a re imagination of the event, whit this video now they showed us that the remake are part of the story and they are canon, but the original games are canon too

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
But it does matter...This is no different than George Lucas continuously going in and editing and updating his Star Wars films. Except, this is worse, because these are two different timelines...Imagine if you had Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. Canonically it goes Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3. But now, Sony decides Same Rami's Spider-Man is canon. Spider-Man 2 isn't. Instead, Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the new canon. That narratively DOESN'T work. These are two completely separate timelines, and by creating new canon, while keeping older games are part of canon in the same timeline, is just bad storytelling, and creates a slew of issues. Sue me for enjoying RE specifically for its long form story telling.

Capcom stated during re 2 development that re 2 remake didn't take the original re 2 out of the story, but thst it was a re imagination of the event, whit this video now they showed us that the remake are part of the story and they are canon, but the original games are canon too
Again, this contradicts the entire CONCEPT of Canon. By this logic, all games are canon no matter what, regardless of plot holes and time line differences. Umbrella Chronicles RE3 is just as canon as PSone. No...that's not how it works. Because the stories contradict one another in major ways. You can only have one MAIN timeline. You can have several "canons," but you can only have one MAIN canon. And by making these remakes the MAIN canon, while existing in the same space as REmake, for example, causes plot contradictions.

Turo602

The King of Kings
But it does matter...This is no different than George Lucas continuously going in and editing and updating his Star Wars films. Except, this is worse, because these are two different timelines...Imagine if you had Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. Canonically it goes Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3. But now, Sony decides Same Rami's Spider-Man is canon. Spider-Man 2 isn't. Instead, Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the new canon. That narratively DOESN'T work. These are two completely separate timelines, and by creating new canon, while keeping older games are part of canon in the same timeline, is just bad storytelling, and creates a slew of issues. Sue me for enjoying RE specifically for its long form story telling.

Again, this contradicts the entire CONCEPT of Canon. By this logic, all games are canon no matter what, regardless of plot holes and time line differences. Umbrella Chronicles RE3 is just as canon as PSone. No...that's not how it works. Because the stories contradict one another in major ways. You can only have one MAIN timeline. You can have several "canons," but you can only have one MAIN canon. And by making these remakes the MAIN canon, while existing in the same space as REmake, for example, causes plot contradictions.

Except nothing has been replaced. It's all canon. You don't lose anything by playing either game other than small details that ultimately don't matter. Resident Evil 5 doesn't change depending on which Resident Evil 2 you played.

D

Deleted member 21244

Yeah but that's not how it works whit the resident evil series, if you are going whit the canon things as you explained it than, almost no game should be canon, only re 2 and 4 should be because if you go into detail re 1 should totally be non canon, and by taking re 1 out of canon than you make re 3 and code veronica non canon since this two game are the sequel to the first re 1 and feature chris and jill from re 1, this will also make re 5 and 6 non canon since chris from re 1 is in them...

Plot contradiction are in the series since 1996 so i don't see the problem now, there isn't really a canon timeline or else as you say there are just game to play into the re universe
I'm just glad capcom make original and remake both part of the Re story

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Except nothing has been replaced. It's all canon. You don't lose anything by playing either game other than small details that ultimately don't matter. Resident Evil 5 doesn't change depending on which Resident Evil 2 you played.
No, but CODE: Veronice and Resident Evil 6 does, and stuff that connect REmake2 to REmake does. And that's the stuff I'm talking about. Regardless of how you rationalize it, by definition of what canon is, you can't have both. Not in the same canon.
Yeah but that's now how it works whit the resident evil series, if you are going whit the canon things as you explained it than, almost no game should be canon, only re 2 and 4 should be because if you go into detail re 1 should totally be non canon, and by taking re 1 out of canon than you make re 3 and code veronica non canon since this two game are the sequel to the first re 1 and feature chris and jill from re 1, this will also make re 5 and 6 non canon since chris from re 1 is in them...

Plot contradiction are in the series since 1996 so i don't see the problem now
I'm just glad capcom make original and remake both part of the Re story
See, that's incorrect. Those games are completely canon, becaues nothing in REmake contradicts their existence. So you have REmake, RE2, RE3, RE Code Veronica. So on and so forth. You can't have REmake, REmake2 RE3 (Since R3make isn't out yet I can't speak to it), Code Veronica and so on, because that creates narrative contradictions.

D

Deleted member 21244

See, that's incorrect. Those games are completely canon, becaues nothing in REmake contradicts their existence. So you have REmake, RE2, RE3, RE Code Veronica. So on and so forth. You can't have REmake, REmake2 RE3 (Since R3make isn't out yet I can't speak to it), Code Veronica and so on, because that creates narrative contradictions.
What?
Re 1 and remake completely contradict the whole re story
If you play as jill only Chris and barry get out of the mansion while if you play as Chris only Rebecca and Jill get out alive

But later game confirmed that Chris Jill Barry and rebecca all get out of thr mansion on the same chopper and returned alive in raccon city, but this ending is impossible to do in tje original re game and neither in the remake, so this game contradict everything, they contradict code veronica, re vendetta, revelations 2 ecc but they are canon

How did re 2 remake contradict the rest of the series?
If you play re 2 remake you can safely play the rest of the series nothing is contradicted
Only leon and Claire scenario contradict each other but this contradiction didn't bother because code veronica re 4 ecc will always happen in the same way, Claire always go fo Chris, leon always joyn the us and Sherry get into us custody and the foment g virus inside her will always give the power she have in re 6

Turo602

The King of Kings
No, but CODE: Veronice and Resident Evil 6 does, and stuff that connect REmake2 to REmake does. And that's the stuff I'm talking about. Regardless of how you rationalize it, by definition of what canon is, you can't have both. Not in the same canon.

You can have both. You can't call Umbrella Chronicles a true blue Resident Evil game and then complain about the canon when you accept all the other contradictions that have existed since the very first game. It's poor storytelling for sure, but it's foolish to act like it's hard to comprehend. Everyone else gets it, why don't you?

Top Bottom