• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Netflix series in production

Turo602

The King of Kings
Ever since I started playing tons of REmake early last month in preparation for REmake 2, I've been thinking about how much a TV series, though more specifically, a Netflix TV series would be perfect for Resident Evil. I've noticed some things about some of Netflix's TV shows, whether intentional or not, that really got me thinking about how the first game could be structured as a series.

The first game may seem too small to base a series out of, or at least a 6-13 episode season, but there's so much lore in Resident Evil beyond Chris and Jill running through a mansion that they could cover in depth. Flashbacks detailing the behind the scenes at Umbrella. Subplots like what happened to the Trevor family. They could even plant seeds for future stories like Chief Irons dirty business with Umbrella. There's lots of characters and backstory and perspectives they could explore.

Though, as stated here, could all mean nothing if they don't get an acceptable cast. For me, that would really break a project like this. This stupid social justice agena or hell, just downright bad casting breaks the immersion for me. Just because you dress someone up in a character's outfit and call them their name doesn't mean I'm gonna buy into it. That is if this thing is even going to be based on the games at all. But if they're not gonna do this right, just don't do it all.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
What does race swapping characters have to do with #metoo?

I think he meant #MeTwo, a movement started in Germany that is against discrimination based on race.

The first game may seem too small to base a series out of, or at least a 6-13 episode season, but there's so much lore in Resident Evil beyond Chris and Jill running through a mansion that they could cover in depth. Flashbacks detailing the behind the scenes at Umbrella. Subplots like what happened to the Trevor family. They could even plant seeds for future stories like Chief Irons dirty business with Umbrella. There's lots of characters and backstory and perspectives they could explore.

I once read a fanfic that did a pretty good job at that. It was quite long, well written, and while the main topic was the relationship of Chris and Wesker, and I honestly only read it because I was looking for some smut, I was pleasantly surprised at how much effort the author put into introducing readers to Raccoon City weeks, if not months before the Mansion Incident. All the S.T.A.R.S. members that are killed in the games right away were given proper personalities, the Birkins occasionally showed up, Claire had some scenes on the phone with Chris... Then strange incidents started to cast shadows over the ordinary life in the city and the cannibal murders began, with everything culminating in Alpha Team's operation at the Spencer Mansion, and one or two chapters dealing with the aftermath.

That's how I imagine a well done RE TV series. Don't base everything just on the first game, I'm pretty sure viewers would get bored of the Spencer Mansion fairly quickly if that were to happen, instead show us the events that led to that point, and give all the S.T.A.R.S. members personalities so that it actually hurts to see them die. It wouldn't be unrealistic for Claire to visit her brother every now and then, so we get an early glimpse at the second season's main character, and the inner workings of Umbrella could easily be depicted as well, with the Birkins acting as the main characters of that side of the story. I would love it if they did it like that...

Top Bottom