• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Inside Umbrella Chapter 5

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
Kai gritted his teeth, seething at the pain. Even though he was on his knees, he puffed up his chest, anticipating the next blow. It came swiftly, so fast Kai wouldn’t be surprised if this woman had supernatural abilities. The stun rod itself didn’t hurt so much, but the shock it gave made him want to scream out in pain.
The woman motioned at the man behind Kai, and he gripped Kai’s hair and yanked his head back. The woman put her face close to his, so close he could almost make out the color of her eyes behind the gas mask she wore. She wore combat attire, as if she was part of a special military force, but Kai knew better. She was working for Umbrella, just like the man behind him brandishing a shotgun with heavy combat armor, and the other goons outside doing Lord knows what with Deseir and Emma.
Deseir. That name sounded familiar since the first time he heard it. He heard Jill Valentine, a former S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics And Rescue Squad), member mention him. She was good friends with his uncle… Kyle, or something of the sort. All he knew was as soon as they met Deseir, things have gotten worse. Things were already bad with the whole city in ruins and overrun with zombies. A complete and utter chaos.
“Where is she?” the woman asked for the fifth time. She had a French accent, and Kai would’ve found it attractive if she wasn’t so aggressive.
“Who?” he replied, weary of the pestering question. Finally, she told him.
“Sherry Birkin. You’re a S.T.A.R.S. member. You should know of her.”
Kai did. He knew her parents. They were okay people, but he never knew where they worked. He just know they were both scientists and Sherry was usually lonely because they were always divulged in their work. And then he realized that he had seen Sherry walking with Deseir before. This made Kai even more suspicious about the boy. Deseir had been carrying an Umbrella I.D. card with him when Kai and Emma saved him. These people were Umbrella agents. He suddenly felt a sudden hatred towards Deseir.
The man behind him –whom he learned name is Beltway- hit him in the back of the head with his shotgun. Kai had to hold himself back, or else he would’ve ended up getting himself shot. The woman – Lupo- looked him in the face one last time.
“Where is she?” she asked with such steel in her voice, Kai almost felt he might crush under the pressure. Kai stared at her for a second and whispered,
“Kai’s not available at the moment. Please leave a message at the beep and he’ll back to you.” That earned him a laugh from Beltway and another shock from the stun rod. After recomposing herself, the woman began walking out of the restaurant.
“Do what you want with him, Beltway,” she said, “But just make sure you kill him afterwards. We can’t have any loose ends running around.”
“Got it,” he grunted in pleasure, then got in front of Kai and squatted in front of him, pulling out something that looked exactly like what blew up the window, “Know what this is? A proximity bomb. I have taken out whole squadrons with one of these. This one doesn’t make as much of a big boom as the others since it’s small, but it’ll do the-“
Kai swung his balled fists into the air, hitting the man in the face and knocking him back. He vaulted over the counter that held his weapons and began running. At the last second, he jumped to the left right as Bletway fired his shotgun. Kai began returning fire. He heard a clink and Beltway cried out. He nicked him in the arm, he knew that much. But before he could make for the exit again, Beltway threw the bomb, it span in the air as it came towards Kai. With a brush of luck, he was able to shoot it before it got too close.
The explosion knocked the S.T.A.R.S. member backwards and made a pillar crumble and collapse, causing it to make a lot of debris in between the two men. Kai took this as an opportunity to take the front door as an exit. Better not come from the back, just in case those Umbrella goons are out there. Outside, the air was warm. It stunk of death, smoke and gunpowder.
“Kai!” someone screamed from behind him. He spun around, gun aiming at in the darkness. After a moment, the scream came again. “Kai!” yelled Emma, running towards him, Deseir in tow, both of them looking disheveled. Kai holstered his gun and grabbed Deseir by the front of his shirt and swung him against the side of a building.
“You bastard,” he growled as he put his fist into the boy’s gut. Emma grabbed Kai’s left arm and twisted around his back, then kicked his legs from under him, bringing him to the ground. She lied against his back, wrapping her legs around his and one arm around his throat. Emma had him trapped.
“I didn’t… do anything!” Deseir managed to breathe out.
“Then why were they here?” Kai asked, struggling with Emma, “They looked like they were wearing Umbrella attire to me.”
“You think I… should know? You think that I… called them here?” Deseir thought for a second as he recomposed himself, “Yeah, that is possible… but I didn’t do it!” Kai rolled onto his back and began tickling Emma’s sides as Deseir watched in mild amusement. He got to his face and into Deseir’s face who didn’t even flinch.
“Listen, Kai-” Deseir began.
“No, you listen,” Kai replied, cutting him off, “I’m giving you one chance. One chance to prove to us that you’re not one of them. If I find out that you are, I’ll leave you to the mercy of whatever’s roaming these God-forsaken streets. Got it?” Deseir nodded slowly.
“Yeah. Got it.” After a short stare-down, Kai put out his hand. Deseir put his hand in Kai’s and grinned while shaking it.
“Looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship, eh?” Emma said, sounding impatient.
“What’s up with you?” Kai asked.
“Oh, nothing. Just those!” said, pointing at a group of undead coming from the east.
“C’mon,” Deseir said, pulling out his pistol, “We better get moving.” Just as they were starting to go the opposite way, zombies appeared from that way. Kai muttered a silent curse and readied his own weapon.
“Nowhere to go. East and west are blocked,” he said, thinking aloud, “No open alleys available to our disposal and going back to the restaurant the way I came is out of the question... Deseir, you any good at lockpicking?”
“Yeah. Why?” he replied, who just dispatched 3 zombies. Kai pointed to a nearby apartment building. Mind taking care of that door for us. The trio ran up the stairs to the door, and Deseir immediately got to work. Kai readied his pistol and began shooting the zombies in their heads.
“Any day now,” said Emma, who was dual-wielding her guns.
“Y’know, it’d be a lot easier if you were to use one at a time if you want to do it quickly.”
“Spray and pray,” she replied cheerily, “It’s the American way!” Kai couldn’t help but laugh. Partly because it was amusing, partly because he was becoming hysterical because the monsters were getting closer. 20 yards. 15. 10…
“There! Got it!” Deseir yelled, and opened the door and grabbed a few things to use as a barrier. As soon as the three of them were in, Kai laid his body against the door as the zombies scratched at it. He began placing the stuff he was given to block the door. Before long, he was able to scramble from the door and began barricading.
When they were done, they met back in the living room, the sounds of the dead right outside of the apartment.
“What do we do?” Deseir asked, his hands tense around his gun.
“We wait,” Kai said, “There isn’t much of anything else we can do.” Just as he said that, there was a crash in the kitchen. Kai looked at Emma.
“I don’t remember there being any windows in there.”
“There weren’t.” She replied. Kai holstered his pistol and pulled out his machine gun.
“Emma, take Deseir upstairs. Stay in the upstairs bedroom until I say otherwise. Me, and me only.” As they went, Kai readied his gun as he slowly made his way to the kitchen, feeling like he was in a horror movie.
“Except in a horror movie you don’t have to do this many stunts,” he mumbled to himself miserably. In the kitchen, nothing seemed different from when he was first in there. It was a bit trashed, but that was probably from its previous inhibitors. The only thing that seemed to be out of place was a pool of…
“Blood,” he muttered to himself. Trailing from the other end of the island that sat in the middle of the kitchen. He placed his body against the wall as he walked around. He approached a disembodied head. It was the head of what looked like a Caucasian man, and was covered in blood and scars. A giant gash was on its cheek, an eyeball was missing as well as an ear, and its mouth was open like the person was in the middle of screaming.
Kai felt sick, yet when he blinked, something even odder became of the head. Something was out of place. A drop of blood on its forehead. Another fell. Then another. Thinking quickly, Kai jumped back wards just as some type of creature leapt down from the ceiling. It was red, and looked like all of its skin was peeled from its body. It had no eyes, and where the top of its head was mean to be looked like a brain. The two front hands were long, sharp claws. The back two reminded him of dog paws. The creature opened its mouth, revealing two rows of very sharp teeth. Then, in a flash of pink, something pink shot out at him.

Top Bottom