• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil 7 Must Scare Fans Or It’s Curtains For Capcom

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
I found this article and thought i'd share it,
have a read and see what you think

**click to expand quote**
When Resident Evil 6 came out, gamers were annoyed by the lack of horror, especially as this has been going on since Resident Evil 4. The players are asking Capcom to get scary again, and they hope that Resident Evil 7 will give them the willies.

Most gamers have been playing since the very beginning and have become addicted to the thrills and chills, which can at times be as terrifying as Silent Hill.

However, Resident Evil 4 was the start of a new trend that saw the game stray into Call of Duty territory…and stay there.

If the game doesn’t start scaring players again, they’re going to defect to another game, maybe one like The Evil Within, from Japan’s TangoGameWorks.

This game is the perfect combination of horror, mystery and puzzle-solving, and Capcom needs to stay ahead of this, before it starts losing fans to it.

Resident Evil needs to get back to its terrifying origins if Capcom is to survive. Otherwise, The Evil Within might see it off for good

i read this and thought, it couldn't be more true, not long ago i saw an article about how little capcom had in the bank so to speak , and it really got me thinking. You hold one of the best franchises of all time, and you choose to diddly squat with it. A game like the evil within is teasing us survival horror fans and potentially making us want to see off resident evil forever, as on paper it seems to be doing everything we ask for, whereas resident evil seems to be attempting to pull in the COD audiences. I believe there's an old saying don't fix what's not broken, and this couldn't be more true. Capcom had an outstanding game up until i think code veronica, then 4, 5 and 6 came out, and it was see you later true fans, hello people who don't care for survival horror.
I'm at that point now, where i've suffered through 3 average games, now don't get me wrong here, as stand alone games 4/5/6 would be acceptable, but if you're going to put the resident evil title on them, be prepared for backlash.
IF 7 is a repeat of 6, i'll be moving away from all new resident evil games, sticking with the originals and looking for a new outlet.

thoughts?

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I'm in total agreement. I hope that they can pull something off in RE7, and if not, when RE8 comes along, I think what we should do, is simply not buy it. If we can get enough people to do that, capcom will see that Horror is not dead in the video game industry, it's just that so many people can't pull it off right.
I'm mean, look at Metro: Last Light, that was a great game that was ultimately a survival game, but with the constant darkness, and not knowing what mutated creature could be behind us, it gave us a sense of fear.
Another game that I think can pull it off is Silent Hill. While the games may not be as scary as before, they still are, and to this day, I can't play a single Silent Hill without jumping at least 10 times.

I think what's changing that video game company's haven't realized yet, is that it's not us that don't like horror. It's that in the late 90's Silent Hill and Resident Evil were the first horror game, and we've come so far now, that it takes a lot to scare us, so as we mature, Video Game's need to get scarier than they were in the 90's because we've built up such a tolerance in the past 15 years.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
No offense but do we really need a dozen RE 7 threads? Why dont you guys just post all of the RE 7 stuff in one RE 7 thread instead of creating endless new ones for every RE 7 discussion? I mean no offense its just really clogging up the general discussion area in my opinion.

aintnoscrub

Premium
No offense but do we really need a dozen RE 7 threads? Why dont you guys just post all of the RE 7 stuff in one RE 7 thread instead of creating endless new ones for every RE 7 discussion? I mean no offense its just really clogging up the general discussion area in my opinion.
As far as I can see there's only 2 threads at the moment for re7. Hardly clogging it up and until there's a re7 board re general discussion is the logical next place. All this information in one thread would be messy and not make sense.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
So it makes much more sense to open a new thread for every new RE 7 discussion? You just dont want to admit that I am right about this. And I am. Why do you think there are such things as general discussion threads for something? I mean I am not creating a new disussion thread for every new info on a Final Fantasy game either. I post it all in the Final Fantasy thread. is that messy and makes no sense either? Same with new info on Marvel or DC related stuff. That goes all into the Marvel/DC thread. Opening a new thread for every discussion and information revolving around the same game/movie etc. is just stupid and enormously unnecessary. You just dont want to admit it but you know I am right about this.

I dont mean that you shouldnt post RE 7 info in the General Discussion area. Yes I agree as long as there is no RE 7 section yet thats the place to put it. I agree with that. But its far more efficient to post all of that into one general RE 7 discussion thread (which can be opened in the general discussion section) instead of having that all over the place in dozens of RE 7 threads. If I wanted to I could make 10 different Final Fantasy threads as well. But that would be totally unnecessary and would just mess up the board.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Revelations worked really well, it was quite scary in comparison of some of the later rezzy games. I think they need to expand on what they did there.

aintnoscrub

Premium
So it makes much more sense to open a new thread for every new RE 7 discussion? You just dont want to admit that I am right about this. And I am. Why do you think there are such things as general discussion threads for something? I mean I am not creating a new disussion thread for every new info on a Final Fantasy game either. I post it all in the Final Fantasy thread. is that messy and makes no sense either? Same with new info on Marvel or DC related stuff. That goes all into the Marvel/DC thread. Opening a new thread for every discussion and information revolving around the same game/movie etc. is just stupid and enormously unnecessary. You just dont want to admit it but you know I am right about this.

I dont mean that you shouldnt post RE 7 info in the General Discussion area. Yes I agree as long as there is no RE 7 section yet thats the place to put it. I agree with that. But its far more efficient to post all of that into one general RE 7 discussion thread (which can be opened in the general discussion section) instead of having that all over the place in dozens of RE 7 threads. If I wanted to I could make 10 different Final Fantasy threads as well. But that would be totally unnecessary and would just mess up the board.
You need to take a step back and get off the offensive. You aren't right at all becauze it's all opinion based. How you choose to operate your threads if up to you, it depends on the nature of the topic as to whether they'd go hand in hand or look messy and I believe they'd look messy, hence a second thread. I never said EVERY single piece of re7 news had to be in a seperate thread thats you putting words in my mouth. To be honest with you you've now derailed my thread and clogged it up with rubbish when you could have just addressed the issue to me in a pm and we could have come to an arrangement ot agreement. Since no one else seems to have an issue I'll let them get back on topic amd discuss the topics raised.

back on topic, spikeyroaxas, I completely agree, but what I dont understand is if they had that idea for revalations surely somewhere in capcom hq someone must have said surely people will prefer this play style to re6. What made them think they could pull 6 off and get the community back on their side??

Last edited:

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
its funny how everyone deems me offensive as soon as i challenge what they say or think, i just tell it as I see it. you have never seen me being "offensive" to you. i am simply being highly critical because i think of this RE 7 thread approach as wrong. you confuse criticism with antagonism. seems to be a popular thing to do around here. for some reason some people try to twist the expression of my views into declarations of war. apparently i am not allowed to write as i think.

aintnoscrub

Premium
quote="Deathstroke, post: 151699, member: 10260"]its funny how everyone deems me offensive as soon as i challenge what they say or think, i just tell it as I see it. you have never seen me being "offensive" to you. i am simply being highly critical because i think of this RE 7 thread approach as wrong. you confuse criticism with antagonism. seems to be a popular thing to do around here. for some reason some people try to twist the expression of my views into declarations of war. apparently i am not allowed to write as i think.[/quote]
fyi being on the Offensive and offending Someone is two different things, . I never said i found you offesive . you didn't challenge you just came off Childish with your second comment. I'm going to report you now for trolling my thread. as I've tried to get it back on topic but once Again you felt the need to derail My thread. like I've Said once already if you Really have an Issue take it up with Me VIA PM So everyone else can continue to enjoy the thread Without having to read our back and forth

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
You wanna report me for derailing yet you keep answering yourself to that in here instead of taking your own advice and answering via PM further contributing to the derailing. You accuse me of derailing, yet you do exactly the same by answering to me.

Damn Hypocrite. Fine, if you want an enemy then you just got one.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I agree Resident Evil needs to be scary again. It truly does. But I also don't think gameplay is all that matters here. It can still have the RE4 and Revelations style gameplay AND be scary. What we really have to make sure of here, is make sure the story is a true blue Resident Evil story. One that keeps us guessing. One the progresses slowly to the ULTIMATE climax. One that focuses on a MINIMAL amount of characters. If Capcom can do that, then they'll have a winner. Hell, RE5 didn't FELL like an RE game, but story wise, it was the TRUE follow up to Code: Veronica.

aintnoscrub

Premium
You wanna report me for derailing yet you keep answering yourself to that in here instead of taking your own advice and answering via PM further contributing to the derailing. You accuse me of derailing, yet you do exactly the same by answering to me.

Damn Hypocrite. Fine, if you want an enemy then you just got one.
actually in case it escaped you i actually ended my post with an answer to another member in an attempt to get the thread back on topic, i don't see you contributing at all. I said you can pm me if you wish to discuss this further, i don't personally want to continue this conversation as you're very childish, however i won't just sit by either and have someone trash my thread just because they believe they're above everyone else.

once again BACK on topic. @KK i completely agree with you, it's the little things that matter, the puzzles, the suspense, the atmosphere etc.
i've said this many times before and i think it's very fitting, resident evil 5 could have been a great stand alone game, but because it had the resident evil title, people expected so much better. if it was a new game alotgether it would have worked very well.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
actually in case it escaped you i actually ended my post with an answer to another member in an attempt to get the thread back on topic, i don't see you contributing at all. I said you can pm me if you wish to discuss this further, i don't personally want to continue this conversation as you're very childish, however i won't just sit by either and have someone trash my thread just because they believe they're above everyone else.

once again BACK on topic. @KK i completely agree with you, it's the little things that matter, the puzzles, the suspense, the atmosphere etc.
i've said this many times before and i think it's very fitting, resident evil 5 could have been a great stand alone game, but because it had the resident evil title, people expected so much better. if it was a new game alotgether it would have worked very well.
I also think they need to be harder. I have NO problem beating the current generation of RE games, but the old ones...DAMN! on your first play through, they were hard as HELL!

aintnoscrub

Premium
I also think they need to be harder. I have NO problem beating the current generation of RE games, but the old ones...DAMN! on your first play through, they were hard as HELL!
oh yeah definitely. i remember for example the re3 water level puzzle on my first playthrough had me rage quit lol.
*sigh* those were the good ol' days

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Puzzle's are something I forgot to mention. If we can some awesome puzzle's back in, it would really spice things up

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
The gameplay can be the same as Revelations and still be a damn scary game, Revelations did very well, RE4 was good, it didn't have a lot of scares, but enough for it to wear the Resident Evil title.
The thing is Resident Evil is a horror franchise, that's not subjective, horror is the franchises identity, it can be Survival Horror like the originals or Action Horror like RE4 & Revelations, however it can not be JUST Action like RE5, 6 & ORC nor could it be just a Survival game if one is ever made, the horror is a must.

Judging from the bulls**t Capcom has been saying lately, RE7 is gonna be another expensive failure because Capcom believes RE fans are too old and want to make Resident Evil appeal to people who read fashion mags.
I'm not looking forward to RE7 at all, I'll rent it and try it but not buying it, I've sworn off all Capcom games.

codykennedy

I don't know what to expect here for responses but i came to read people's thoughts and share my own . = ))))

I played resident evil 6 for ps3 on the release date and beat it with my best friend straight on through , and i was disappointed as well like all other true resident evil fans , i think people who liked the resident evil 6 title are not true resident evil fans , the reason i did buy resident evil 6 even after i played my friends copy with him , was that it is a resident evil franchise and i love the RE and hope it returns to its roots .

1 - an ammo count that make us worry about when we'll find the next ammo magazine (too much ammo and we'll feel too secure and not nervous)

2 - i liked the fixed horror camera angles because it makes me feel i have no control over the environment which in a way makes me feel a little helpless and spooked

3 - start the game out very slow , slow and uncertain of what the hell is happening causing the player to **** buckets being nervous (and not fast paced like resident evil 6 where everything is thrown in your face in one big heavy load at the very beginning of the resident evil 6 title )

4 - abandoned environments , rotting buildings , boarded up windows , sleepy hollow looking forests with a abandoned mass grave long forgotten and unattended with a light blanket of fog and zombies crawling out .
Old , decayed , rusted old trucks or cars with a tree or plantation growing up through the frame of a vehicle depending where the environment is .

5 - no large number of human survivors , (i used to think finding many survivors would be cool in the days of resident evil 1 , 2, 3 ) but i learned to appreciated the lack of human survivors since the resident evil 5 and 6 titles because resident evil 5 and 6 (players do not feel hopeless because there is too many human survivors , military personal etc)

6 - another large police station to explore and a hospital (is what i would really love to see !!!)
morgue in the hospital with rotting corpses , and able to see real time zombies walking or standing dazed from the monitors of a desk room . ( i know resident evil 2 had the police station and resident evil 3 had both ) but i really enjoyed those environments .

7 - very important is the resident evil 1 , 2 , 3 background music . (i cannot remember any music from 4 , 5 or 6)
but resident 1 ,2 ,3 i remember the music very clearly .

8 - one thing i personally don't like a lot is when the game requires me to hit a button at the moment they tell me to , or button mashing , i hate button mashing , i like freedom and full control of the keys .

the reason resident evil 6 failed big time was obviously that it's more like a hollywood action film with stunts , motor bike stunts and helicopter stunts , i think they made this game and had in mind (hollywood films) so they could appeal more to hollywood directors and producers .... but we're the ones who love the series , the people who been fans since 1996 when i was a teenager and had a hard time playing it because it was so damn creepy !!!!

Some things i don't like , i don't like the underground caverns , i don't like military bases , or other environments where i will feel hopeful , if there's a gunshop make all guns to be missing in the gunshop due to other survivors raiding and stealing the ammo and guns , leaving only broken guns and empty rifle cabinets .

An interesting thing would be a school , if there's a town / city like raccoon city , to have a elementary school that seems deserted and empty at first entering , a boarded up classroom with a couple kids screaming , dark night , the play of darkness and sounds creeping us out , finally getting through the door and seeing a classroom of 30 or so fast moving crazy zombie kids running and jumping on their desks like spiders leaping through the air with the only source of light is from the moon through the window of the classroom , after killing the zombie kids , go to talk to the surviving kids maybe 2 , they run away after talking , later in the game you recognize one hanging from a tree being prayed apon by a licker .

maybe a location of a crazy hermit , having a few lickers chained to the ground like dogs , feeding them human parts .

one thing i do find creepy which i see sometimes in films or games , is rooms with dolls , they just look creepy to me.

codykennedy

I agree Resident Evil needs to be scary again. It truly does. But I also don't think gameplay is all that matters here. It can still have the RE4 and Revelations style gameplay AND be scary. What we really have to make sure of here, is make sure the story is a true blue Resident Evil story. One that keeps us guessing. One the progresses slowly to the ULTIMATE climax. One that focuses on a MINIMAL amount of characters. If Capcom can do that, then they'll have a winner. Hell, RE5 didn't FELL like an RE game, but story wise, it was the TRUE follow up to Code: Veronica.

actually when i think about it , resident evil 4 wasn't that bad , it was creepy in a way yeah !
I found this article and thought i'd share it,
have a read and see what you think

**click to expand quote**

i read this and thought, it couldn't be more true, not long ago i saw an article about how little capcom had in the bank so to speak , and it really got me thinking. You hold one of the best franchises of all time, and you choose to diddly squat with it. A game like the evil within is teasing us survival horror fans and potentially making us want to see off resident evil forever, as on paper it seems to be doing everything we ask for, whereas resident evil seems to be attempting to pull in the COD audiences. I believe there's an old saying don't fix what's not broken, and this couldn't be more true. Capcom had an outstanding game up until i think code veronica, then 4, 5 and 6 came out, and it was see you later true fans, hello people who don't care for survival horror.
I'm at that point now, where i've suffered through 3 average games, now don't get me wrong here, as stand alone games 4/5/6 would be acceptable, but if you're going to put the resident evil title on them, be prepared for backlash.
IF 7 is a repeat of 6, i'll be moving away from all new resident evil games, sticking with the originals and looking for a new outlet.

thoughts?

"as stand alone games 4/5/6 would be acceptable, but if you're going to put the resident evil title on them, be prepared for backlash." I so totally agree !!! if resident evil 7 is another bad attempt at exploration , i will leave resident evil forever as well , and just stick with 1 , 2 , 3 . because they totally KNOW!!!!! that resident evil 6 is a flop , so if they really know RE6 is a flop and they make RE7 a flop as well , they'll never turn it around .

So we will know they don't have the fans best interest in mind if they make resident evil 7 another hollywood action game .
I don't like call of duty or modern day shooters ....totally hate them , i don't even own a single game of medal of honor or call of duty BUTTTTTT i do like the ww2 settings of medal of honor , but this obsession with call of duty is confusing , all those games look exactly the same to me , i can't tell one title from the next !
and they use zombies in those games as well , zombie mode , which if you think about it ...it's a lot like resident evil 4,5,6 feeling when playing COD zombie mode . completely the same feeling .
actually i do have medal of honor ww2 games , the older ones (because they're better than the modern war shooters)

codykennedy

i never played operation raccoon city yet , i read a lot of bad reviews about it , especially about the AI and the length of the game , i think its about $13 at EBgames , is it worth picking up ?

Top Bottom