• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident evil 5 on ps4

Jamesy

I see on the ps4 store that resident evil 5 is available for 15 pound 99 (UK price). I have played the game on Xbox in the past (last time I played RE5 was 10 years ago.)

Do you think in 2023 it’s worth purchasing the game for ps4 or not?

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yeah, it's up to you. I personally really enjoy RE5's gameplay and will pretty much pick it up and replay it whenever I can. So I don't really mind owning it on multiple consoles and starting all over from scratch every once in a while.

SaddlerFan

I own RE4's Wii version but still bought it again on PS4 (mostly because I'm too old to deal with the Wii's complicated controls these days). So, if you enjoyed RE5, why not buy it again on the console you're using now?

Jamesy

Well RE5 was alright and decent enough but it was not my favourite resident evil game. Plus it costs 16 pounds currently on the ps4 store.

Lost in Nightmares was a nice edition though.

Ikawaru

Personally, I would have to say a big fat "NO" because it is of my humble and single digit numero uno opinion that the game has not aged well and the only redeeming quality to it is its lore factor, as it does indeed do a good job at picking up the series plot arch after CV which RE4 failed to do.

I'm trying to think of another game that was released around that time period (video games were in a little bit of a lull in the late 2000's imo) that's better and the only game I can think of is 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' which despite being 1st person and being a bit Eastern European and janky, actually does do "horror" and "shooter" pretty good unlike RE5. It is a PC game though but an old one so you should be able to run it with a few tweaks.

EDIT: I almost forgot, try the game 'F.E.A.R', it also does a better job at "shooter" and "horror" than RE5 does and I was pleasantly surprised that its sequel, 'F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin', was quite enjoyable. I would easily recommend these games over RE5 any day of the week.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

Since you asked, its RE5 so nah, not worth rebuying :)

It's obviously a question a FAN of RE5 is asking though, so it comes down to the technical comparisons of the different platforms.

OP, if you played the Xbox version on a 360, the PS4 version is going to obviously look better, and it also performs a bit better than X One or 360. I would say the X One version is similar visually, but worse performance wise, so PS4 is a slight upgrade. However, if you have a PC capable of playing it, the best performance and graphics are going to be on that platform, as well as the best deal on the game.

Right now the regular version of RE5 is going for only $5 on Steam, and $7.50 for the Gold edition, and $15 for the 4/5/6 bundle.

Ridley Lockhart

I see on the ps4 store that resident evil 5 is available for 15 pound 99 (UK price). I have played the game on Xbox in the past (last time I played RE5 was 10 years ago.)

Do you think in 2023 it’s worth purchasing the game for ps4 or not?
15 pound? Go for it! You almost can't afford NOT to buy that. The game game still looks amazing, IMO it's very replayable, whether by yourself or with your 'partner'. As well as all the extras, Mercenaries, Mercenaries Reunion, Lost In Nightmares and Desperate Escape.

Ridley Lockhart

Or I could just wait for re5 remake
You could. But that will prolly be awhile. Do you think actually needs a remake? The gameplay is still good and visually the graphics still look fantastic even compared to more recent titles like RE2R, RE3R and RE4R.

Unknown

You could. But that will prolly be awhile. Do you think actually needs a remake? The gameplay is still good and visually the graphics still look fantastic even compared to more recent titles like RE2R, RE3R and RE4R.

Need one? No. Only RE1 really needed a remake imo though. But the original RE5 had a lot of ideas that unfortunately never made it, and 4R aside from the numerous nods to 5, even had some things that seem lifted directly from some of its early trailers. Environmental destruction for example.

Anyway, I always thought 4R would be a great game, but ultimately it is just a very smooth playing nostalgia trip really. Which is all it needed to be.

5 on the other hand has ridiculous potential, to take what it has and glow it up to an even further degree than what 4R did for the original 4…jesus, this thing could be unreal.

For these reasons and without the previous gen holding it back, I think Capcom will do it, just because of the amazing game they can make out of it. I imagine they’ll be invested in wanting to give the game back some of what it lost originally.

Ikawaru

However, if you have a PC capable of playing it, the best performance and graphics are going to be on that platform, as well as the best deal on the game.

You've failed to mention that the RE5 PC port, currently, is a cataclysmic disaster and still requires Windows Live to run, which has been out of service for over a decade, so trying to get it to even run in the first place would probably be a headache for the uninitiated. This is also discounting the added technical problems that come with a game that haphazardly ported in the first place.

I would suggest doing a bit more research before auto-pulling the "PC better" card, especially for inexperienced people. RE5 was designed for consoles and runs best on the latest console generation.

Top Bottom