• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident evil(2002) vs WTRC(2021) Which do you think is the better first movie?

Ikawaru

Ok, it's difficult to compare the two because they are nearly 20 years apart, all I can do give my impression of both when I walked out of the theatre.

RE 2002: "That was nothing like the game! Where's Chris, Barry, Rebecca, Wesker, and fancy surreal mansion? Wasn't Romero supposed to do this? I expected more grit and gore. Bahh!"

WTRC 2021: "Low budget, short, dark dystopian adaptation with no atmosphere and characters were one dimensional, I really expected more here, Leon's and Iron's exchanges were pretty amusing, but I can't believe this is all we get considering I've been waiting 24 years for a really good adaptation. The references to the games were better than nothing but still quite weak. Bahh!"

So yeah, I guess both were pretty bad but in their own unique way.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Okay, it's just what the title says, out of the two, which is the better movie in your opinion, and why?
I will preface by saying I enjoyed both films.

I still like Resident Evil 2002 just a little more than WtRC, but out of all of the Resident Evil films, Resident Evil 2002 and WtRC are my top 2 favorites by a mile.

I haven't really put much thought into why, to be honest, but if I had to come up with a reason, it's probably because I've always sort of been drawn to stories of these highly trained commando teams going to investigate some weird event and being totally caught off guard and slaughtered lol. I don't know why, maybe because I like to imagine what I would do in the situation. I also think the characters were written better in 2002 and the sequence of events made more sense.

That all being said, WtRC was very fun to watch, for me, however even though I very much enjoyed it, it's blazingly obvious that if I didn't have prior video game plot knowledge, the film would have been extremely bare bones story wise. But, I liked what they did with most of the characters (especially Leon) and I liked all the references to the games as well as fan theories/memes. I laugh every time I hear Chris talk about dieing in Weskers burly arms. But I degress.

I liked both films but I feel like 2002 was developed a little better story and character wise when taken in with no context or back story. Oh, and Mansons musical score was WAY better - one of my favorite film scores.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
That all being said, WtRC was very fun to watch, for me, however even though I very much enjoyed it, it's blazingly obvious that if I didn't have prior video game plot knowledge, the film would have been extremely bare bones story wise. But, I liked what they did with most of the characters (especially Leon) and I liked all the references to the games as well as fan theories/memes. I laugh every time I hear Chris talk about dieing in Weskers burly arms. But I degress.
I’ve yet to see WTRC but have been wanting to watch it recently and now you’ve really piqued my curiosity. :p

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Update since my previous post: Downloaded WTRC (for free thankfully)

I’m gonna say, with confidence, that RE 2002 is the better movie.
The 2002 movie is an insult to me as a fan but WTRC is an insult on my intelligence.

Bran

Independent Film Director
I find the 2002 movie to be more competent and better structured. There's a lot of artistic choices in there, and it takes its time to build up the tension.

I find the 2021 film has a better first act, and more personality to some of its characters. I also like the cinematography and music score.

Both have problems, but the 2002 movie already an iconic zombie film on its own merits, though I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now the 2021 film becomes a cult classic or something. I just don't think it's found its audience yet.

Ikawaru

Both have problems, but the 2002 movie already an iconic zombie film on its own merits, though I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now the 2021 film becomes a cult classic or something. I just don't think it's found its audience yet.

Hardly. Cult classics/genres have to do something extraordinary, niche, and unique, and WTRC does literally none of those things.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
In hindsight, even though both are terrible films at least the 2002 movie didn't disrespect the characters from the games. Although to be fair there weren't any of them in the movie, and if they were I'm pretty sure they would've been disrespected (which they were in the later films such as Jill in Apocalypse).

Overall, there are more scenes that I find enjoyable and closer to the source material in WTRC. For example there is an excellent one-shot scene taking place in Chief Irons's car as he's trying to leave the city in panic, that was some great filmmaking and cinematography right there. Also, I liked the portrayal of Chris and Chief Irons, while I didn't like any character at all in the 2002 movie.

Bran

Independent Film Director
In hindsight, even though both are terrible films at least the 2002 movie didn't disrespect the characters from the games. Although to be fair there weren't any of them in the movie, and if they were I'm pretty sure they would've been disrespected (which they were in the later films such as Jill in Apocalypse).

Overall, there are more scenes that I find enjoyable and closer to the source material in WTRC. For example there is an excellent one-shot scene taking place in Chief Irons's car as he's trying to leave the city in panic, that was some great filmmaking and cinematography right there. Also, I liked the portrayal of Chris and Chief Irons, while I didn't like any character at all in the 2002 movie.

The sole video game character is Dr. Birkin (Jason Iassacs in the hazmat suit) saying, "I want him in the Nemesis program". Originally the role of Dr. Iassacs in Apocalypse was meant to be Dr. Birkin. When Issacs was unavailable, they recast, and named the character in his honor.

Ridley Lockhart

Ok, it's difficult to compare the two because they are nearly 20 years apart, all I can do give my impression of both when I walked out of the theatre.

RE 2002: "That was nothing like the game! Where's Chris, Barry, Rebecca, Wesker, and fancy surreal mansion? Wasn't Romero supposed to do this? I expected more grit and gore. Bahh!"

WTRC 2021: "Low budget, short, dark dystopian adaptation with no atmosphere and characters were one dimensional, I really expected more here, Leon's and Iron's exchanges were pretty amusing, but I can't believe this is all we get considering I've been waiting 24 years for a really good adaptation. The references to the games were better than nothing but still quite weak. Bahh!"

So yeah, I guess both were pretty bad but in their own unique way.
I loved the first movie. Alice was actually cool in the first two movies IMO. And the soundtrack, especially that opening. Charlie Clouser(did Saw) and Marilyn Manson collaborated for the first films score.

I haven't seen WTRC, though.

Top Bottom