• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 REmake of 5?

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
We got at least 3 games left for them to go back and reimagine in the way they brilliantly did with RE2 and that's as much excitement I'm ever gonna get out of this series by the way things have been going lately.
Which 3? I can see Capcom successfully remaking RE5, Code Veronica and RE1 (again) and quite possibly Zero as well if they combine the stories of Zero and 1 into one game. However I just can't see RE6 being remade today with its 4 large interwoven campaigns, not to mention its story is the most action-focused in the entire main series; they'd have to completely revamp the entire story to turn it into a "survival horror" game and by that point it wouldn't be RE6 anymore.

There's still hope for RE9 though. Ethan is dead and Rose's story is (seemingly) finished, plus the game will possibly ditch first person and opt for third person. More legacy character might return instead of just Chris. Let's wait and see. However, if RE9 turns out to be yet another chapter in the Winters saga with a scruffy looking Chris at the sideline.... Well, let's wait and see.

Ikawaru

There's still hope for RE9 though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Mia back as a protagonist. Lest not forget she wields a P19 and remote bombs like a champ, that nice little yokel house wife scientist for the connections. ;)

Turo602

The King of Kings
Which 3? I can see Capcom successfully remaking RE5, Code Veronica and RE1 (again)
Bingo.

However I just can't see RE6 being remade today with its 4 large interwoven campaigns, not to mention its story is the most action-focused in the entire main series; they'd have to completely revamp the entire story to turn it into a "survival horror" game and by that point it wouldn't be RE6 anymore.
Yeah, 6 doesn't seem likely nor important at all. It has no real significance to the lore and was essentially a "new chapter" that went nowhere because they hit the reboot button right after with 7.

There's still hope for RE9 though. Ethan is dead and Rose's story is (seemingly) finished, plus the game will possibly ditch first person and opt for third person. More legacy character might return instead of just Chris. Let's wait and see. However, if RE9 turns out to be yet another chapter in the Winters saga with a scruffy looking Chris at the sideline.... Well, let's wait and see.
I don't know. I just don't have faith in the main series anymore. Everytime there seems to be hope in this series, it's immediately taken away. They seem pretty committed to whatever stupid vision they have with these focus grouped games.

Even if it's in third-person, it'll probably feature a brand new protagonist and it's gonna have some weird mythological theme. As far as Chris goes, they've already assassinated his character. The guy in 7 and Village is unrecognizable to me and too much of a try hard tough military guy. That's not Chris, so I can only imagine what they'll do to Leon, Jill, and who else if they bring them back.

Ironically, they've done such a great job with characterization in the remakes, except for maybe Jill who felt reinvented and probably due to lack of character in her previous appearances. Same for Carlos who I'd say was a massive improvement over his original counterpart, even if he was just basically Keanu Reeves with a mop on his head.

But there has been something that I've always noticed about Leon specifically that I'm surprised was captured in the RE2 remake that at the very least tells me someone at Capcom does care about consistency. For example, Leon's speech pattern, or the way he poses questions is very informal since at least RE4. I could be reaching but off the top of my head, right before he meets Ada in the hedge maze, he says "there an intruder besides me" rather than "is there an intruder besides me?" Then in RE6 he asks Helena "you mind telling me what's down there" instead of "do you mind telling me what's down there?" And this chill way of speaking was even carried over to the RE2 remake when he asks Ada in the sewers "that an Earthquake" as opposed to "is that an Earthquake?"

It doesn't seem like much, but it's something I noticed and because it's such a tiny detail, I'm all the more impressed that Capcom seems to have some sort of understanding of Leon as a character despite how badly they've massacred Chris.

Right now, the current rumor is that RE9 is gonna have some sort of co-op implementation, which I'm not against, especially since it's also stated that they're trying to give it a more survival horror twist as opposed to what we've gotten before. It's also theorized that this could be a similar situation to what they did with Village mirroring RE4 with 9 being developed with the purpose of remaking RE5 after. It seems plausible, but I wouldn't put much stock in it now. But with the rumors regarding RE4 remake's ending, it does seem like there is room to redo RE5.

Ikawaru

Chris always struck me as sort of a "try hard military tough guy", it's just age and decades of constant fighting of bioweapons killed his once comic relief sense of humor. At least that's the way I interpreted it. They even tried to bring back his raspy chain smoker voice he had in RE1 original in RE7 with 'Not a Hero', (The original voice actor of Chris, not Charlie, died in an automobile accident in 2000). I actually found the Winters family more degrading to the series than I did Chris. The worst thing they did to Chris was "Callo'dutyize" him and the Wolfhound squad, which I think is a mistake I hope they rectify.

Honestly though, arguing about the integrity of 'Resident Evil' characters seems kinda laughable considering they were never, even from the beginning, designed as super serious characters with ultra specific personality traits and grand archetypes, they just sort of evolved that way as fans come to expect their memorable characters to.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't know what games you're playing if Chris ever came off like a try hard or a stereotypical military tough guy before when they've often showcased the opposite. Whether he was meant to be portrayed a certain way or not in the beginning doesn't really matter much. Like you said yourself, the characters had evolved because the games themselves had evolved. Chris isn't just some empty vessel nothing character like Ethan. He had a consistent portrayal and personality until they took a hard turn with 7 where he was stripped down to being a "military badass."

Chris Redfield never acted like a "badass" and has only ever had that reputation from his fanbase. Now Capcom has made the series self-aware and are treating his character as such because we're supposed to be looking in awe of him as we watch him from Ethan's stupid eyes and witness the legend of Chris Redfield personified rather than the man himself as we've seen him portrayed. So much so that the entire world was apparently made privy to his boulder punching antics which went from being a silly gameplay mechanic to actual story canon because Capcom had to acknowledge the meme and let us know they think it's funny too.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Ironically, they've done such a great job with characterization in the remakes, except for maybe Jill who felt reinvented and probably due to lack of character in her previous appearances. Same for Carlos who I'd say was a massive improvement over his original counterpart, even if he was just basically Keanu Reeves with a mop on his head.
Besides Leon I also think they did an exceptionally good job with Ada, and I'd argue that the RE2 remake verison of Ada is the best version of her we've seen in the entire series. Even side characters like Marvin, Ben and the Birkins were fleshed out and felt more human than before. The only character I think they failed with was chief Irons, as I feel the mystery surrounding his villainy in the original was ruined in favor of a "obvious evil generic bad guy" arc.

They failed with Nicholai as the villain the RE3 remake as well. Although to be fair he wasn't the most fleshed out villain in the original, but they made him so over-the-top evil in the remake that it became silly.

Ikawaru

Strangely enough, the most fleshed out character in the original 'Resident Evil', is actually far from being a fan favorite, and that's Barry Burton. He has his family that he's trying to protect, giving him a tragic motive, and is someone you could actually invoke sympathy for and understand the tough decisions he has to make. His backstory and personality are actually brought to the forefront in the game in a meaningful way. Even if you find his NRA membership distasteful, at least it's there being displayed in human terms, unlike Jill's one dimensional "Master of Unlocking" or Chris's "Marksmanship". There's very little in game context for the rest of the characters personal stories, leaving much of it up to the players imagination.

I mean yeah Barry has his fans, there's a few of them, but they appear to be few and far between or at least the less vocal ones of the bunch.

The only other character who probably could also qualify as being "fleshed out" is Rebecca Chambers, as her education on medicine and chemicals is also brought out to the fore and fairly elaborated on in her dialogue and actions. Again far from being a fan favorite.

Both of these characters play the supporting roles for both main protagonists.

Last edited:

Unknown

No denying RE7 and Village were questionable appearances for Chris, definitely not the end of the world though. They turned Leon into a poor man’s Bond in 4 and he recovered (though with such a lack of character to begin with after 4 just threw it away, that’s not saying much).

Chris is coming back in some way anyway, so we’ll see. Put him back with Jill, both of them are better when together. Or Claire. Both are the only people capable of bringing out his softer side.

Regarding the 5 remake, i’m still of the opinion it should be a full reimagining, single player, more horror but still with lots of intense action, a dual narrative, so Chris and Sheva cross over and these parts can be co-op. It would work, and done correctly would be the best RE game.

But 5 is such a huge undertaking, i’m unsure they can pull it off. Love it or hate it, it’s a monumental event in the series canon, there’s so much happening, and therefore so much they can screw up.

I’d also pay for the original version of 5 in a heartbeat. As much as I do vastly enjoy 5, and it is still a great game, and one i’d play over RE4 any day of the week, it still legit hurts knowing what 5 could have been.

windleopard

No denying RE7 and Village were questionable appearances for Chris, definitely not the end of the world though. They turned Leon into a poor man’s Bond in 4 and he recovered (though with such a lack of character to begin with after 4 just threw it away, that’s not saying much).

Chris is coming back in some way anyway, so we’ll see. Put him back with Jill, both of them are better when together. Or Claire. Both are the only people capable of bringing out his softer side.

Regarding the 5 remake, i’m still of the opinion it should be a full reimagining, single player, more horror but still with lots of intense action, a dual narrative, so Chris and Sheva cross over and these parts can be co-op. It would work, and done correctly would be the best RE game.

But 5 is such a huge undertaking, i’m unsure they can pull it off. Love it or hate it, it’s a monumental event in the series canon, there’s so much happening, and therefore so much they can screw up.

I’d also pay for the original version of 5 in a heartbeat. As much as I do vastly enjoy 5, and it is still a great game, and one i’d play over RE4 any day of the week, it still legit hurts knowing what 5 could have been.
I thought people liked Leon in 4 and hated his appearances after that.

Ikawaru

I thought people liked Leon in 4 and hated his appearances after that.

I think it's safe to say that most people should be able to formulate their own independent opinion of Leon -or any character- and there should not be any universal "People" consensus.

I personally never cared for Leon very much. I felt his "Rookie Cop" narrative was great for 'Resident Evil 2', and gave him a sense of vulnerability which helps in horror games as opposed to being some elite special forces operative that he eventually turned into, but all-in-all he always came off as a bit of a simpleton "'trying to do the right thing" and having not much of a fleshed out or complex personality or any particular backstory that's interesting.

After RE4, he appeared twice I think, in 'Darkside Chronicles' and 'resident Evil 6'. I felt his role in RE6 was very poor, and whilst I have not played DC, and don't have the means to do so being a PC user, I have heard some reports that he was actually decent in that title and a bit more personable than previous so perhaps there's a "hidden Leon" somewhere and maybe RE4R will bring it out a bit better than the previous RE4.

Last edited:

Ridley Lockhart

With all the REmakes Capcom has been making alongside their main games, I do really hope that an alternative version of RE5 is eventually made. I don't mean a remaster, or even just a graphical upgrade - but a RE2R style remake from the ground up and using the original plan (outlined in the art book) as the basis, with some adjustments.

Mainly I'd want them to build it as a single player game with 2 campaigns. Chris and his mission with the BSAA and reaches Jill; and Sheva with the local militia, figuring out what Tricell is up to. Barry would pop on and out of Chris' story, and Josh on Sheva's. No Plagas, more zombies, way more horror (even still in daylight for parts) but no vehicle section, QTEs, boulders, or volcanoes.

What about you? Would you play a REm5ke?
I ****ing hate how people keep being all, "remake this", " this game Deserves a remake" etc. Like RE5 still looks phenomenal and the gameplay still holds up today.

But everybody is entitled to their opinions, or wishes for future games.

I will say...if I want to not be such a negative nancy, the idea you suggested, not only using the RE2R style of remake but also using the original plan for RE5 before the controversy plagued the final outcome/product. Because we know it ****ing did. I still remember that meedley mouth sumbich name, N'Gai Croal, who for lack of a better word basically essentially called RE5 "racist", based on a teaser trailer. Rubbish.

But yeah in general I don't want to keep seeing damned remakes. RE3R already ****ed in my cereal bowl...and if Crapcom eff's up one of my favorites, Code Veronica....somebody's gonna pay pennants.

Ridley Lockhart

Strangely enough, the most fleshed out character in the original 'Resident Evil', is actually far from being a fan favorite, and that's Barry Burton. He has his family that he's trying to protect, giving him a tragic motive, and is someone you could actually invoke sympathy for and understand the tough decisions he has to make. His backstory and personality are actually brought to the forefront in the game in a meaningful way. Even if you find his NRA membership distasteful, at least it's there being displayed in human terms, unlike Jill's one dimensional "Master of Unlocking" or Chris's "Marksmanship". There's very little in game context for the rest of the characters personal stories, leaving much of it up to the players imagination.

I mean yeah Barry has his fans, there's a few of them, but they appear to be few and far between or at least the less vocal ones of the bunch.

The only other character who probably could also qualify as being "fleshed out" is Rebecca Chambers, as her education on medicine and chemicals is also brought out to the fore and fairly elaborated on in her dialogue and actions. Again far from being a fan favorite.

Both of these characters play the supporting roles for both main protagonists.
There's A Page Missing.!!!

Lol Jill was still my favorite from OG RE1.

Top Bottom