• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Raccoon City's location . . .

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
^I must ask, where is that quote from? What is released after the first game--which, as stated in my previous post, was what I was referring to--in which Raccoon was considered to be a "small mid-western town" by the game-makers. (And before the structures to which you referred to were known to the general RE audience and most likely to the game-makers themselves.) Or was it after the era of retcons? :blink:

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
Magnolia Grandiflora;78218 said:
^I must ask, where is that quote from? What is released after the first game--which, as stated in my previous post, was what I was referring to--in which Raccoon was considered to be a "small mid-western town" by the game-makers. (And before the structures to which you referred to were known to the general RE audience and most likely to the game-makers themselves.) Or was it after the era of retcons? :blink:

Says It all.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I must say that, while the source is informative, wikipedia, no matter what branch is not always reliable. I must also point out that, to my knowledge, not much has ever been stated about Raccoon City in the original games--which does not include Nemisis in which some events, as far as I can tell from my limited knowledge, not having played the game personally, were already retconned--or otherwise, to give way to this much information. (Including the population of said city.) The city sign, as seen in the...second game, I believe, says nothing aside from "Welcome to Raccoon City, Home of Umbrella." Until I see a truly reliable source stating this information, which would have to be, for me, from the original games, I must stick to what the first games themselves have provided us with.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I also see that some of these sources were specifically left out of their respective games for unknown reasons and most of the game manuals came out after things had already been retconned to fit the newer games better.

I do appreciate the informative source, though. :D

EDIT in response to a post for which I do not see the need to make a completely new post: I know all about RE's view of 'canon' but since I'm not too fond of where they've taken the game in relation to the older ones, which I, personally, felt there was nothing wrong with, I do not consider the newer games retcons to be canon. (The same goes with Outbreak. I love RE Outbreak and enjoyed playing it, but I believe the retcons were unnecessary and therefore prefer to stick to the old ways of RE.)

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
Things which come after the games have been released always reveal new things and are settled as canon to the storyline, so I don't see any problem here.

You're welcome.
:sleep:

AgentHUNK

Mr. Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6m0TZynpE

Personally I always pictured Tyler, TX as Raccoon City, sans the mountains. The video above is tha answer I am going with. IMHO, Raccoon City is meant to be seen as a small town to city folk who come from large metropolitan areas. I, for instance, live on 6 acres of land in the middle of nowhere. A town with a population of 2,000 is big to me, but it also depends how spread out a town is. Besides, it is all relative.

Sentinel94m

I was watching Resident Evil Apocalypse and noticed in the beginning that there is a weather map behind the meteorologist. On the map it shows Harrisburg, Hazelton and Trenton surrounding Raccoon City and the Arklay Mountains. In real life, Harrisburg and Hazelton are in Pennsylvania and Trenton is in New Jersey. The location where Raccoon City was indicated on the map was where Allentown PA is IRL. So if the creators wanted to place the imaginary town of Raccoon City on a state, it looks like it would be Pennsylvania. - Racoon City, Pennyslvania.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You do realise that there are more than those towns with those names...hell, take the place i'm from Springfield...there are only three states in the whole U.S. without a town named Springfield...

KennedyShot

Strange...

I was originally going to say Pennsylvania because I actually thought there was a Raccoon City, PA...could have sworn there was. Typically, most horror is based in Pennsylvania due to it's lush, yet dark, forests...it simply has a very dark feel to it. The city Silent Hill was based upon is about a half hour or so from my home town of Williamsport. I forget the actual name of the town, but the coal fire still rages on to this day.

Anyway, in regards to Raccoon City:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon_City

Best I can do.
Honestly I always kinda thought Raccoon might have been based in Pa myself.

T-Vaccinated Kid

Neo-Umbrella Head Zoologist
Honestly I always kinda thought Raccoon might have been based in Pa myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was. The original Resident Evil games were heavily influenced by Romero films. Romero, being from Pennsylvania himself, set most of his zombie films there.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Off by about 5 or so degrees. They could have tried to combine the 2 to form something more unique.

Well...i'm trying to decide if 5 degrees is really that big a deal...i mean you can look at it either way...Where i live has about a 3 degree difference from where my grandparents live, and that's just 200 miles...

Top Bottom