• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Question about Magnum Ammo location?

Frag Maniac

Hello, new here, and I'm on a Hardcore run via fresh start, and am trying to calculate what optional bosses I can take out for more upgrade cash (so far having done just two). Part of that process is assessing where all the Magnum Ammo caches are in the game. I found a page on Evil Source that lists them, and I recognize all but one by the descriptions.

The one I'm struggling with is the last one, which is described as follows...

Altar - Village​

Magnum Ammo (1×2) - On the wall in the south east corner of the area after you have explored Heisenberg's Factory.

Source: https://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-village/weaponry/magnum-ammo

The only place I could think of by this description is the spot where The Duke last parks his carriage before the final boss fight, but after two previous play throughs, I never saw Magnum Ammo there. Can anyone tell me where this last cache of 2 Magnum rounds is, or if the guide is perhaps incorrect?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

OK, I wasn't getting any answers on the forums I posted this (not talking about this one due to the monitoring period), so I did a little gameplay trial. I went ahead and attempted a lengthy test run from my save point to see if I would have enough ammo for all optional bosses, and whether that last Mag ammo spot exists. I did, it does. A big part of what facilitated this is making sure capacity upgrades are done when magazines are empty, which is very helpful.

Ikawaru

A big part of what facilitated this is making sure capacity upgrades are done when magazines are empty, which is very helpful.

That's always been a gimmick in the series since RE2, wait for the magazine to run dry and then apply the upgrade and magically receive a full magazine plus the upgrade. RE2R mitigated this a little bit for example with the Matilda High Capacity Mag and receiving only 1/2 the capacity but then RE3R and and 'Village' brought it back again full stop.

Resident Evil 2 Leon B (1998) is awesome with this because I never even fire a shot until I get to the S.T.A.R.S. hallway and fire 18 shots on the zombies then finish them off with the knife and I get a free 18 shots when acquiring the upgrade parts in the next room after running into Claire and Sherry. Very convenient strat when doing Handgun + Knife + Submachinegun only runs (The shotgun and the magnum can f* themselves).

Frag Maniac

I would call it more of a perk or incentive than a gimmick. It gives you more reason to get the higher capacity mag upgrades, and also adds strategy to ammo management. It can take a fair bit of thought and memory to focus on emptying mags, then switch to another weapon, especially for old farts like me.o_O I find it also often involves thinking ahead as to number of enemies, and what weapons you'll use on them.

I also don't disregard the magnum and shotgun, each weapon has it's purpose. The shotgun will always be useful for crowd control, and the magnum for bosses. The pistol even has special value beyond handgun/knife only runs. I find it's very useful for shooting Lycans off ziplines and walls, and even for the final phase of Miranda. When it's fire rate is fully upgraded, it's the fastest shooting gun in the game, which helps immensely to keep Miranda from swatting you when she entangles you.

So yeah, while some weapons suck at some things, each still has their purpose.

Ikawaru

I also don't disregard the magnum and shotgun, each weapon has it's purpose.

True dat. For kicks I just did the diametric opposite run of what I said using only the magnum and the shotgun and I had quite the blast (intended). ;)

Frag Maniac

True dat. For kicks I just did the diametric opposite run of what I said using only the magnum and the shotgun and I had quite the blast (intended). ;)
I haven't gotten to the point where I've attempted any weapon restriction runs, and honestly don't know if I will. I DO however like that they brought back some of the features of RE4, like trading, and I'm also finding standing atop ladders is a good place to kill from, like in RE4. I'm not sure if knife swats would knock them off a ladder like in RE4, but it's easy enough to just stand there, wait until they stand up fully straight, and face shot them with the shotgun. Even if you somehow don't manage to blow their head off, it knocks them down to the lower level, and makes them all the easier to finish off with the pistol.

BTW, do you have any video playthroughs of these runs you can link to or embed? I often like to compare tactics to see if I can manage to make use of anything I see, and I always give credit where it's due.

Ikawaru

I haven't gotten to the point where I've attempted any weapon restriction runs, and honestly don't know if I will.

It's my specialty. Kinda got tired of feeling like I need to pick up every gun in the game and juggle it all in my inventory so I developed weapon restrictions strategies. RE2 original has so much ammo that it makes the specialty playstyles fun and easy.

REmake is awesome for this because using a handgun + knife + Defensive weapons only strat, especially on hard, makes every single "clip"
you pick up seem like a bag of gold, as opposed to being equipped with Assault Shotguns and Magnums and running past every Beretta magazine late game and treating as junk that shouldn't be there.

Frag Maniac

It's my specialty. Kinda got tired of feeling like I need to pick up every gun in the game and juggle it all in my inventory so I developed weapon restrictions strategies. RE2 original has so much ammo that it makes the specialty playstyles fun and easy.

REmake is awesome for this because using a handgun + knife + Defensive weapons only strat, especially on hard, makes every single "clip"
you pick up seem like a bag of gold, as opposed to being equipped with Assault Shotguns and Magnums and running past every Beretta magazine late game and treating as junk that shouldn't be there.
I remember in Dead Space, I only used the Plasma Cutter in the original game, because it was so fast and powerful after upgrading it, that managing all those other weapons, ammos, and upgrades seemed like an unnecessary burden. I've read the DS Remake will have a different enemy damage system though, where some weapons peel flesh better, making it easier to see where limbs are vulnerable to severing, something other weapons will do better.

I'm not sure I have much faith in EA and their Montreal studio though, especially since the creative director has never done a survival horror game before, and they are insisting on using the Frostbite engine, which is very code heavy and will likely involve more dev time and bugs.

I have to say, regarding Resident Evil I was doubtful CAPCOM could keep the series going well after Shinji Mikami left. They had their bad releases after that in my opinion, and even RE7 had it's flaws, with monsters that were too easy to run past, or block via just closing doors. RE8 really shows they care about diversity of enemies though, something 6 and 7 lacked so much monster wise.

Conversely, I loved The Evil Within, especially the unpredictability of fallen enemies, the difficulty of sneaking up on them from behind, and the fact that they could hear the last spot you were running, making it necessary to think about how you hid. They totally blew it though in The Evil Within 2 IMO, making enemies retreat after they lost visual contact, and adding an auto takedown cover system. I also don't think the sandbox design added anything. Ghostwire Tokyo also seems strange, with many questions about it's quality now around the leaving of the creative lead.

Callisto Protocol may be interesting, since Glen Schofield whom made Dead Space is the lead dev. They signed an agreement with PUBG Corp to make all their games fit within the PUBG universe though, which doesn't even make sense since PUBG isn't even story driven. My main point is all this is surprising to me, that CAPCOM would reemerge as one of the leaders of horror, even against these juggernauts in the industry, whom by comparison seem to be having their troubles now, and that's not even counting what a disaster Death Stranding was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom