• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised PSONE version of RE is just classic fun!

Matt S

RE noob
So, finished my first playthrough of the PSone veraion RE last week. Its fun, it's cheesy. It's a classic. I just loved every min, from the 1996 style graphics, to the live action opening, I was smiling like a fool from ear-to-ear.

Currently playing the PSone RE: Director's cut. Like the changes, not sure about the music though!

I never thought I would say this, playing on the D-pad isn't too bad, once you get used to it!

RedfieldFan

I love it too. It's a real classic. Very funny, yet still full of suspense.

I also use the D-pad for the tank controls in the old RE games. It's so much easier.

Shocker

Yeah its totally classic. I have played it a few times on my ps3 and it nevergets old. I agree non directors cut is better.

Nathan Banks

I always go back to that game. It was simple compared to the remake, but it was so intense. I loved it, even the crappy voice acting brings back floods of nostalgia.

Cure Zombrex

Since the remake came out, I've never touched this game once. But I did play it over and over again from 2000 to 2002.

justfitluffy

I've actually just started streaming Remake with the intention of getting the elgato and playing the original biohazard games on ps1 for streams and vids.
I already own the games, just saving money now.

MisterScott

To be honest I prefer the PS1 version better than the remake mainly because it has better music and more iconic dialogue and I love the live action cutscenes , I like the remake too but I think it takes itself a bit too seriously for a remake of a game that took inspiration from silly 90s action movies, also I didn’t like how they altered the character designs like shaving off Barry’s epic beard and replacing Chris’s brown duke nukem hairstyle with plain short black hair, I honestly think that the old version is scarier because of its dark awkward atmosphere.

Shocker

The first 3 REs are just complete masterpieces IMO. I think 4, Remake and Code Veronica are in the same category just different games. 1-3 for me are favorites. Picking a fav 1 is damn near impossible.

MisterScott

The first 3 REs are just complete masterpieces IMO. I think 4, Remake and Code Veronica are in the same category just different games. 1-3 for me are favorites. Picking a fav 1 is damn near impossible.

I agree the remake is good but I consider it to be a completely different game (like a Semi Reboot), sadly copies of the original game are running low and have not been re released since the PS3 so it looks like Capcom wants the original game to be wiped out of history in favour of the remake, probably because they think the old graphics wouldn’t appeal to the current generation and because they share the sentiment with Shinji Mikami that the cutscene actors were embarassing.

Cure Zombrex

Nothing wrong with the graphics. For a game in 1996, it looks epic even now seeing that amazing opening scene, because you would think you were watching a DVD. And Alone in the Dark 2 has a bit of a Christmas theme, and the rooms in the Hell's Kitchen mansion were well designed as you played as Carnby or the Saunders girl, and that's actually way older than Resident Evil. So never knock an old game.

MisterScott

Nothing wrong with the graphics. For a game in 1996, it looks epic even now seeing that amazing opening scene, because you would think you were watching a DVD. And Alone in the Dark 2 has a bit of a Christmas theme, and the rooms in the Hell's Kitchen mansion were well designed as you played as Carnby or the Saunders girl, and that's actually way older than Resident Evil. So never knock an old game.

If it were up to me I would have all 3 original PS1 games re released in a bundle on current platforms but unfortunately Capcom doesn’t think that they would sell because we are living in a time where this generation wants to casually play a barely hour long fast paced campaign that involves literally nothing but shooting and expects the graphics to be 100% photorealistic, even the Remake of Resident Evil 2 is said to have a modern camera angle system to please the new generation, personally that doesn’t bother me too much it could still turn out to be a decent game (like Resident Evil 4) but that pretty much shows that Capcom wants nothing to do with the original games anymore and when the last copies on eBay are sold out then Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 would be effectively “extinct” which is a shame because they are legendary games, Capcom has made big improvements recently with the franchise but I’m disappointed that they seem to be trying to pretend that the original games never existed.

Oasis

One of my favourite Resident Evil games and one of my favourite video games altogether.

I never got what could get people discouraged about the graphics. The game is pretty and anyway, never understood people who display exaggerated importance in graphics.

Top Bottom