• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Post-credits scene speculations (spoilers)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
To some people’s surprise, we got our first look at ”remake” Albert Wesker in the post-credits scene for RE4R. While it was an interesting addition that expanded upon the lore a bit, it also raised a few questions.

First off: Does this indicate that a remake of Resident Evil 5 is due? It seems like the obvious conclusion to be made, but at the same time Capcom is no stranger to abandoning loose ends. We’ve seen teasers of ”what’s to come” before without seeing it actually come to fruition. Most recently, we still don’t know the point of the post-credits scene from the RE3 remake.

Another idea is that the Wesker teaser means that a new remake of RE1 is in the works. Logically it doesn’t make sense, but we also know that logic isn’t a trademark of Capcom either. At this point it seems anything is possible.

Personally, I’d rather see them remake RE1 first in order to setup the confrontation between Chris and Wesker in a RE5 remake, but that raises the additional question of whether their encounter in Code Veronica should be skipped over.

SaddlerFan

I think maybe Separate Ways will elaborate some more on how the post credits scene fits into the greater scheme of the game. I'm sure they deliberately kept quite a few plot points in the dark (such as U-III, who, in this version of RE4, is the second Verdugo who mysteriously vanishes at some point) in order to use them in Separate Ways, and the whole "what's going on with Wesker" is most likely one of them.

That being said, I think the post credits scene can be interpreted in two main ways regarding RE5 - one, it really does sets up a remake for RE5. Two, it simply ties into the original RE5 and Capcom has no intention of remaking that one (for now, anyway). I think it works on both fronts. Deliberately so, most likely. Capcom probably doesn't know either yet just where they want to go with this. lol

Ikawaru

90% sure they're gearing up for RE5 and not doing RE1 or CV. Whilst the producer of these REmakes did play a very minor role RE1R and CV, he was far more pro-active in the development of RE4, RE5, and RE6 and he considers himself a solid cog in those wheels.

Add the fact that co-op shooters are exploding in popularity again across the industry and everything points to RE5. As they used to say in the US Army though not sure if they still do, "Where's your battle buddy!?" because you're only getting a fraction of the experience if you don't have a friend to play with. Woe to all the loners in the world, I guess we'll have to wait for S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 but who knows when that'll come out thanks to the f*k'd up situation in Ukraine.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think maybe Separate Ways will elaborate some more on how the post credits scene fits into the greater scheme of the game. I'm sure they deliberately kept quite a few plot points in the dark (such as U-III, who, in this version of RE4, is the second Verdugo who mysteriously vanishes at some point) in order to use them in Separate Ways, and the whole "what's going on with Wesker" is most likely one of them.

That being said, I think the post credits scene can be interpreted in two main ways regarding RE5 - one, it really does sets up a remake for RE5. Two, it simply ties into the original RE5 and Capcom has no intention of remaking that one (for now, anyway). I think it works on both fronts. Deliberately so, most likely. Capcom probably doesn't know either yet just where they want to go with this. lol
This is pretty much the same conclusion I came to and like Jonipoon, I would rather they start a new "trilogy" of games with remakes of both Resident Evil 1 and Code Veronica before they jump straight into 5.

I think there's potential in treating these games as a trilogy of sorts, that way they can scale it back with Resident Evil 1 and gradually increase the scope with Code Veronica and 5, all while focusing on one linear story revolving around Albert Wesker. But at the same time, given how similar RE5 already is to RE4, it does kinda make sense for them to jump straight into 5 while the iron is hot and I certainly wouldn't complain with whatever order they do end up going about these remakes after how incredible RE4 turned out to be.

One interesting thing to note however, is that the director of Revelations 2 who co-directed both Resident Evil 2 and 4 remake with one of his game designers from Rev 2, also co-directed Resident Evil 5. So it does beg the question of whether or not he's even interested in making RE5 again, who's influence can already be felt in the RE4 remake, or if there's any kind of bias in choosing to remake 5 before any of the others.

But one thing is for sure, and that's that Yasuhiro Anpo and Kazunori Kadoi definitely deserve their flowers given the strides they've made to return the series to its former glory in both big and small ways, starting with RE5 which opted for a more serious tone than its predecessor and attempted to wrap up the on-going narrative that RE4 abandoned.

Then we have Revelations 2, which I've always described as a love letter to the fandom for its inclusion of long absent favorites like Claire Redfield and Barry Burton, in his first mainline starring role. Even the reveal of Alex Wesker who was teased in RE5 and failed to be mentioned anywhere in RE6 made the game feel like a proper sequel to RE5 despite being a spin-off. And all the general lore connections and references to past games made the series feel interconnected again. It was everything that had been missing from the series at that point and even though it wouldn't be the return to form the Revelations series claimed to be, it was a hell of a leap in the right direction.

Enter Resident Evil 2. The game that single handedly restored faith in the brand for Resident Evil fans who didn't quite like the latest rebooted direction RE7 was steering the franchise in. Everything we disliked about it, be it the first person gameplay, the tone, atmosphere, or lack of main series protagonists and their portrayals, was all addressed in this remake that set a new bar for the series and this same care and detail is just as present in the RE4 remake as it was in RE2, whether you're a fan of the type of game it is or not.

Whatever they do next, I'm all in as long as we keep getting this consistent stream of quality that this team has been delivering. It honestly boggles my mind that they're not the ones in charge of the entire series, because if there's one thing they've proven, it's that they get Resident Evil. Meanwhile, the main series has no idea what it even wants to be from game to game.

Personally, I’d rather see them remake RE1 first in order to setup the confrontation between Chris and Wesker in a RE5 remake, but that raises the additional question of whether their encounter in Code Veronica should be skipped over.
I've once suggested that if they ever did remake Code Veronica, that I would like to see Chris' confrontation with Wesker be playable and be made into some huge cinematic experience like the fight with Liquid Ocelot at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4 since it would have likely been the last time we get to experience their rivalry. But with a 5 remake potentially on the table, we have at least 2 more opportunities to see their rivalry unfold again.

With that said, the Wesker fights in Resident Evil 5 were absolute highlights of that game, and I can't imagine how they'd improve or top those encounters in a remake. Not saying they couldn't, but maybe they don't have to either? I mean, if it ain't broke... But I don't think that's enough reason to skip over their confrontation in Code Veronica either. I think it's important to Chris' development to get his ass kicked by Wesker and then come back beefier as a result of how helpless he felt during their first battle. And after the RE4 remake, I can see this encounter being more Krauser knife fight than full on boss fight like we got in RE5.

As for Resident Evil 3's post-credit scene, I saw a post on Twitter that is probably the likely case as opposed to Capcom hinting at some new story they're going to tell with Jill (which would have been awesome), that suggests it's merely Jill at Chris' apartment in Europe, hence the green shirt and punching bag, as this is apparently written somewhere in the lore. At the very least, hopefully this means she'll play some kind of role in Code Veronica if they ever do plan on revisiting it, otherwise, why even include the scene at all?

Ikawaru

One interesting thing to note however, is that the director of Revelations 2 who co-directed both Resident Evil 2 and 4 remake with one of his game designers from Rev 2, also co-directed Resident Evil 5. So it does beg the question of whether or not he's even interested in making RE5 again, who's influence can already be felt in the RE4 remake, or if there's any kind of bias in choosing to remake 5 before any of the others.

The directors don't have a say in what games get made, neither Anpo nor Kadoi wanted to do RE4R but Hirabayashi and Capcom insisted that they get on it so they did.

Whatever they do next, I'm all in as long as we keep getting this consistent stream of quality that this team has been delivering. It honestly boggles my mind that they're not the ones in charge of the entire series, because if there's one thing they've proven, it's that they get Resident Evil. Meanwhile, the main series has no idea what it even wants to be from game to game.

We can certainly agree here! Even if these two directors split up and have one focus on remakes and the other on continuing the main story, with two seperate teams of their own hand picked developers, would most certainly be a better outcome than whatever current structure they have with the main franchise. 'Village' didn't even hit that magic 11 million sales mark so even from a purely business perspective this makes sense.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
As for Resident Evil 3's post-credit scene, I saw a post on Twitter that is probably the likely case as opposed to Capcom hinting at some new story they're going to tell with Jill (which would have been awesome), that suggests it's merely Jill at Chris' apartment in Europe, hence the green shirt and punching bag, as this is apparently written somewhere in the lore. At the very least, hopefully this means she'll play some kind of role in Code Veronica if they ever do plan on revisiting it, otherwise, why even include the scene at all?
If they really do plan on remaking RE5 next I guess it makes sense for this scene to take place in Europe, and perhaps they'll expand on Jill's role in the remake and feature her more prominently before she fell under Wesker's control. I didn't notice it before, but the strong sunlight in this scene implies that it's located in a pretty hot environment, and we all know which previous RE game featured the strongest sunlight... It's definitely a hint at RE5. You'd have to re-arrange certain story elements though and change the ending from "Lost Nightmares" to fit the new narrative.

Also: I know I might be in the minority here, but I actually don't want a RE5 remake to feature the return of co-op - At least not as a forced playstyle. The original RE5 wasn't supposed to be completely co-op anyway, as they changed it mid-way through development in order to avoid accusations of racism (which they received anwyay). If they chose to implement it, at least make it optional since I believe having an armed partner around you at all times destroys the fear factor.

Whatever the team does, after the RE4 remake I have enough faith in them making something that I'll enjoy playing.

Top Bottom