• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Out Already. **Spoilers?**

Acid Marz

So Game Informer has a write up on "Village" and talks a bit about the start of the story, so if you have not read this issue of GI and want to know nothing than turn back now and stop reading.

"Chris Redfield shows up and murders Mia" ... this is where I stopped reading the article and also decided that I'm done with RE.

So everything I did to save Mia in RE7 was for nothing? What is wrong with game developers today?

Is it simply a case of misogyny running rampant? So I hope you all have fun watching Mia being murdered by Chris. Doesn't sound like any fun to me.

so

Rain611

You can't kill me.
So Game Informer has a write up on "Village" and talks a bit about the start of the story, so if you have not read this issue of GI and want to know nothing than turn back now and stop reading.

"Chris Redfield shows up and murders Mia" ... this is where I stopped reading the article and also decided that I'm done with RE.

So everything I did to save Mia in RE7 was for nothing? What is wrong with game developers today?

Is it simply a case of misogyny running rampant? So I hope you all have fun watching Mia being murdered by Chris. Doesn't sound like any fun to me.

so

Does the article give any context for this? I don't think it's hard to believe that he had a good reason considering she was exposed to the mold in RE7 and could potentially be infected still or maybe a dormant puppet to whomever is really pulling the strings.

Chris is a good character generally speaking and I find it hard to believe that he would kill someone in cold blood and I also don't believe it has anything to do with misogyny. I think we were given a bit of information (which we already knew from the trailer by the way) with no context on which to judge it, that's about it. No reason to jump to conclusions.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Meh, I don't really see this as misogyny. Plus, i don't really care all that much about Mia...or Ethan as a matter of fact. This is just ludacris.

Acid Marz

Ok people. Maybe you need a little context.

I've just spent a good amount of time on "The Last of Us 2" and honestly I just can't handle any more of this brutal grim nonsense. Most especially if it's directed at women.

Somewhere along the line game developers seem to have forgotten that games are supposed to be fun enjoyable experiences that you should walk away from with a smile on your face.

So this is the end of the road me myself and RE. This is all just starting to feel like disrespect form developers for whatever reason. Maybe when they start losing money they'll get the point.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
For everything TLOU2 is, it is not misogynistic.

It’s not fair for people to play a card like ‘misogyny’ without any real thought or understanding to its connotation.
The fact that female characters are getting more involved in intricate stories is everything women have been wanting and pushing towards for years.

Last edited:

Awebb

Yeah, Mia is a good person and any violence against her is probably not justified and totally meant as a statement against women. Good thing she never worked for a company that creates a combat BOW that is able to infiltrate a civilian population and infect and control people. I especially loved how she was this moral pillar, who refused to have a fake relationship and lie to her significant other.

If fun and a smile is what you're after, then by all means, put more care into selecting your games before you buy them.

Mr.R

Even the fact that this discussion exists tells me how I dislike the direction RE8 took. Even if Mia is not one of the good guys, I could hardly see Chris murdering her in cold blood (with a baby, no less) while being his normal self. It doesn't fit his character. Even in the prime of his rage, in RE6, Leon and Piers managed to talk some sense in him not killing Carla. At most, he would try to aprehend or to contain her somehow. Or, he would kill her in self defense. Straight up murder? Out of character.

Whatever this "murder" act enacted by Chris (justified or not, but certainly out of character) it only serves to try and shock the player at the expense of a beloved character, maybe to make you relate to the bland, boring and useless Ethan. Maybe because the developers don't care. It doesn't matter. It's just for shock value and I really hate how much this trend has been happening so often lately. "Let's screw this beloved, legacy bearing character so audience can connect with this boring new character we invented!" or worse: "Let's make our legacy-bearing, standard good character into the bad guy! So this way you can relate with this neeeeeew bland character we made!"......yeah. Still disliking pretty much 90% of everything that's been thrown around about RE8 until now.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Somewhere along the line game developers seem to have forgotten that games are supposed to be fun enjoyable experiences that you should walk away from with a smile on your face.
Different people will find different genres and style fun to others. I cannot stand anything that requires an almost-endless grind just to get past a level or area. Some people love it. If you're playing games that aren't intended to be light-hearted, then you kinda have to expect the grimness. Some games nowadays are also pushing an agenda that is found in the real world, either by making a character a certain way or exploring and therefore exposing certain inequalities or attributes of human nature that we might either be unaware of or unwilling/unable to do anything about.

Like with TV series, you end up invested in a character and then the things that affect them might affect you. That's why soaps cover stuff like rape, infidelity, abortion, homosexuality, racism, abuse etc. It raises awareness and encourages people to identify with and then potentially effect change. The gaming industry is no small thing and perhaps has some responsibility when creating certain titles to make them as relevant as possible. If you make a game about viruses and zombies and death, it would be absurd not to make it as realistic as possible to be credible in the eyes of the gamer (unless you are being purposeful ridiculous). To show women being treated violently is a fact of life - not a great one, but still true. Woman are more likely to be at risk in this respect and no amount of hashtagging is going to make that untrue until real change is effected. Sure, we could pretend like it doesn't happen and Hulk out our female characters so that no man, illness or nuclear holocaust can touch them...but I don't think many people would respect that or want to play a title that otherwise takes itself seriously.

tl;dr: play Viva Pinata instead. It's the dogs.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Capcom wouldn't do this without some sort of reasoning.

I am sure of that. They would not kill Mia off just for the fun of it.

Either, Chris KNOWS this is not the real Mia, or knows she is still infected with Eveline's goop and can regenerate (but wants to extract Ethan as soon as possible without her interference). Or this is an actually evil Chris or Chris clone starting the game off on a horror note. I am tired of "bad guy killed my wife/child/dog and I need to get revenge" cliches. But how often do I get to start the story with an established wife being killed? I assume it will be retconned in the story one way or the other.

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
Does the article give any context for this? I don't think it's hard to believe that he had a good reason considering she was exposed to the mold in RE7 and could potentially be infected still or maybe a dormant puppet to whomever is really pulling the strings.

Chris is a good character generally speaking and I find it hard to believe that he would kill someone in cold blood and I also don't believe it has anything to do with misogyny. I think we were given a bit of information (which we already knew from the trailer by the way) with no context on which to judge it, that's about it. No reason to jump to conclusions.
you remember the REV2 - Trailer? there where huge scenes which misguide audience. in RE8 , they probably did same. cause they knew it is weird for Chris to kill anyone like that ( he is not wesker after all) i think the scene was making everyone curious. like end of RE7 , no one gave any care about Ethan, but watching chris coming down from an Umbrella Helicopter, yes every body were curios.

Roku

From what I've come to understand (from the trailers, interviews etc...) Resident Evil 8 key words are: paranoia, trust (or lack therefore) and occultism.

I'm pretty sure that this "twist" is at the center of this words.
I wouldn't be surprised if the scene itself ended up being an illusion (would make sense given the virus used in RE7) and if what we've shown was actually a distorted version of what Ethan's (confused mind) saw.

Honestly, I'm 100% sure that Capcom would never ruin Chris this way, it's not convenient for them in anyway and in fact would create more cons than pros for them.

I think that one of this options Is more likely:
- This isn't Chris
- The events taking place are different from the way we saw them
- This is RE8 take on RE6 "Ada"
- Ethan is infected with some virus that gives him hallucinations (this does look an awful lot like RE3.5, I wouldn't be surprised if they took the basic concept/plot either).

Last edited:

Mr.R

One thing I got the impression from, is that RE8 seems to be more action-oriented than RE7. Of course, I might be totally wrong, but that's the impression I got from the few of the trailers scenes and from some enemies (and the fact that we probably will have a merchant).
If that's the case, It'll be interesting to see how some of the more....conservative fans of the franchise will react to that (although RE7 gets quite actiony in the end, where you just follow straight paths killing everything in your way...but everyone just forget that for some reason)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I don't think it looks more action-oriented than RE7, it just seems as if VIllage will have a wider variety of enemies compared to the former. The plot seems to have higher stakes as well, and the scale of the world is just grander overall with more characters, more locations, and more stuff going on.

I still don't like it though, lol. This is just taking all the things I don't like about recent RE games and amplifying them, but taking everything I like about the series and toning it down. The animated sequence could've been taken straight from a Tim Burton dark fantasy tale, its really incredible (and sad) to see how the series have gone from scientific bioengineering to this.

I'm definitely not getting a PS5 just for this.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子

So this is the end of the road me myself and RE. This is all just starting to feel like disrespect form developers for whatever reason. Maybe when they start losing money they'll get the point.

Sweetheart. There are all sorts of games out there, I'm pretty sure you can't walk away from all the games smiling, some games leave you broken in the ending, some leave you sad, crying, happy, smiling, not all games have happy-ever-after endings. Also I don't think there's any misogyny involved in RE8 or any other Resident Evil games, it's just you jumped to conclusion and we don't even know half of the things about RE8 story. Just because he happens to kill a Mia, doesn't make him misogynist or developers. Maybe it's fake Mia, Maybe she was infected and there's no other way but to neutralize her.

Also, I really do think developers aren't misogynists, I know there were numerous female deaths in the game, spoilers;
Carla, Manuela...etc, etc.. the sisters from Revelation games, forgot their names
, but if they really had prejudice or hated women, they wouldn't make Claire, Jill, Ada badass.

This is just so wrong, just because female character dies, doesn't mean developers hate women. There are some badass female characters from other games like "Lightning" from ff (Where female characters DIES a lot trust me) and she turned out fine, very likeable at least to me.
Then there's Horizon dawn, anyways my point is, I really dislike when people start spouting these kind of comments just because a female dies, really :cautious:
Oh and recent, Jill, Aerith, Tifa.... there's numerous badass females. Not all are damsels in distress who dies in the end.

Woah, I didn't think this will be this long lmao

P.S; I didn't save Mia anyway, after so many exorcist stages she went through, Good lord no thx. I wouldn't feel save next to her ever again if I were Ethan and saved her.

Last edited:

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
One thing I got the impression from, is that RE8 seems to be more action-oriented than RE7. Of course, I might be totally wrong, but that's the impression I got from the few of the trailers scenes and from some enemies (and the fact that we probably will have a merchant).
If that's the case, It'll be interesting to see how some of the more....conservative fans of the franchise will react to that (although RE7 gets quite actiony in the end, where you just follow straight paths killing everything in your way...but everyone just forget that for some reason)
action base, for enjoying , need a good perspective to doge perfectly and enjoy. first person is awful for such experience i feel

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
I don't think it looks more action-oriented than RE7, it just seems as if VIllage will have a wider variety of enemies compared to the former. The plot seems to have higher stakes as well, and the scale of the world is just grander overall with more characters, more locations, and more stuff going on.

I still don't like it though, lol. This is just taking all the things I don't like about recent RE games and amplifying them, but taking everything I like about the series and toning it down. The animated sequence could've been taken straight from a Tim Burton dark fantasy tale, its really incredible (and sad) to see how the series have gone from scientific bioengineering to this.

I'm definitely not getting a PS5 just for this.
i feel the same, i didnt like it yet .it seems finding the lab ( the thing we always seeking in RE series) is change its way to search a mysterious Nanjun( grandma) if character was some one else, no one would dare to drop them in such weird atmosphere. its just Ethan.

Top Bottom