• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Remake OG vs Remake

RipvanX

Despite the “grounded approach” to this game, I simply can’t see it being any less ridiculous than the OG. I mean sure the voice acting will be less cheesy, but we will still be doing some crazy covert op to rescue “baby eagle” from this cult that somehow accumulated enough finances to build up an army against a 1st world nuclear power that is the U.S. I simply can’t see them cutting out the military island with this narrative, as it will make the whole premise nonsensical. So ultimately, we are going down the same path alot of RE fans cannot stand by making it more and more action and less horror.

I want to be proven wrong but the story of RE4 literally makes it impossible to turn the remake into a pure horror experience without delving into militaristic themes. I am curious what others think Capcom Division-1’s angle will be for this and future remakes.

Ikawaru

covert op

Covert op? Really? I think i'd prefer a covert op than the rambo-romp shooting gallery that was the actual RE4 OG. Thinking about it, a game that literally forces you to be more covert and stealthy could actually augment the horror aspect because getting detected by creatures that can kill you quick if you don't properly get by them or find clever ways to dispatch them, would be a much more scary experience than feeling safe with an arsenal of over powered weapons and enemies that magically drop all the ammunition you need to wipe out the entire Spanish army.

Jade Kennedy

I literally screamed when I saw the trailer for the new one. I'm not gonna lie, it had LOTS of awesome moments. But I still think the original will always be better. I'm not saying the new one will be bad, don't get me wrong. It's just........ feeling that shock as my PS2 controller vibrated in my hand as Ramon was taken down was something I will never forget. Not to mention the old VA Paul Mercier's voice acting was filled with so much emotion within each and every line. The new VA, Nick Apostolides, gave me something to really be proud of. Because if you think about it, if you hear his voice in RE2 remake, you'll notice his voice is higher, much more boyish. We saw his voice mature. We don't see that with Paul because he was introduced with the original. He wasn't in Resident Evil 2. I like the whole "break away" thing they're adding to the new gaming experience. Where did they get that idea?
The original.
I will say that the graphics are obviously better and so is the voice acting. I would know because I would like to try my hand at voice acting.
Right now, I'm listing alot of things that would make you think that I think the remake would be better. I will always like the original better. Simply because it gave me a fresh experience. I didn't know anything about it. One thing I will say is as much as I love the remakes, I hate looking at them and saying "This is wrong." "This isn't what happened in the original." I hate being a critic (That is not my profession). I love the way they added more vulgarism in the newer games simply because it made seem..... more realistic. I mean, imagine being in Leon's situation and being freaked the f out. You probably wouldn't hold back and say "Holy s***." No, no, no, my friends. You'd kick at the ground and straight-up scream "What in the actual f***?!?!" I know I would.
I felt so much sorrow for Leon, what with Leon being on that mission as he let out a simple "No f****** way."
I just think the original is better (in my opinion) because of the element of surprise. Thank you, goodbye.

Last edited:
The remake looks badass, especially all the graphics , but one thing that’s the best is just the merchant. The ****ing merchant. His outfit is just awesome, his scenes almost look live action like.

AgentKennedy77

I recently finished Resident Evil 4 (2005) and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the game. You have to remember that RE 4 was a product of its time, so the voice acting and jokes were cheesy and over-the-top. I surmise this because Capcom is a Japanese developer, so their idea of American culture is romanticized or idealized. Leon Kennedy is a bit of an '80s/'90s action hero because he debuted in Resident Evil 2 (1998), so he will be a by-product of that era.

From what little we have glimpsed into the gameplay of the Resident Evil 4 Remake, this cheesiness and reference to '90s pop culture are absent. The phrase "baby eagle" is a codeword. Leon is a US-based agent operating on foreign soil, so everything he says to Hannigan must be well-thought-out. It's not cheesy or dramatic to use a covert-op narrative. Leon is being entrusted with the life of President Grahm's daughter. A lot is riding on that. The original game downplays the severity of it from all the jokes Leon is making, but the mission is very much sincere.

Besides, Resident Evil Village proves that action and horror can be combined. I think Capcom knows what they're doing, and based on the atmosphere of the RE 4 Remake, it's heading in the horror direction even more so than the original.

Ikawaru

Based off of the demo, the gameplay, controls, combat, mechanics ect are vastly superior to the OG and is perhaps innovative to the genre in several respects. Something tells me I'll have to up the difficulty to feel challenged, but these aspects are certainly better. The stealth system, while not what I would exactly call advanced, is much more emphasized and implemented much more than I anticipated, especially with the addition of stealth kills, so props to Capcom for experimenting with this feature. Nothing like this was even remotely considered in the OG.

What we don't know for certain is how much combat will dominate the entire game and whether you can just acquire enough powerful guns and ammo to shoot your way through on your first play through at everything that is trying to kill you. I would prefer there be several moments where running away or sneaking by and not looking back is a damn good idea, but we will see. In the OG, it was purely shoot first and ask questions later, minus the bits you play as Ashley.

Also, how much puzzles, unlocks, keys, items, backtracking (Also hallmarks of survival horror, which is basically borderline Metroidvania but no quite), will be present in the playthrough remains a mystery and I also hope significant emphasis to these was part of the design process. These were virtually and utterly absent in the OG, except in a few rare occurrences.

As for characters and how the story plays out, we can't say for 100% certainty but it looks like Ashley in particular is better portrayed and Leon is certainly a bit more....melancholy? Though not too much so as his "Bingo" line was a nice quip so a more serious character but not above dry humor is certainly a positive.

So far so good, we know one aspect of the game is superior to OG, let's see if the rest of the crucial ones can hold up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom