• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Opinion on Video Gaming

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Agree or Disagree?
Graphics+don+t+make+a+good+game_515202_4553601.jpg

Turo602

The King of Kings
Graphics don't make a good game, but they are still as important as anything else. Story alone doesn't make a good game either. As much as I think all aspects are equally important, honestly, it's gameplay that holds a game together the most. Even a great story doesn't make a game worth playing if its gameplay is broken.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
What Turo said. A game can have the greatest graphics, characters or story. If it's not fun to play, it still fails as a game. Of course, a game that has great gameplay and great graphics and great characters and a great story would be the best, but when it comes down to what's most important, I always go with gameplay/fun. If I want a great story, I can also read a book or watch a movie, but a book or a movie can't give me what a game can give me.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Really...Because we are all RE fans...Most of us prefer the original games better than ALL others...And let's be honest...The gameplay in the original SUUUUUUUCK. It's the nostalgia and the characters and the story that keep us coming back. NOT the gameplay.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Really...Because we are all RE fans...Most of us prefer the original games better than ALL others...And let's be honest...The gameplay in the original SUUUUUUUCK. It's the nostalgia and the characters and the story that keep us coming back. NOT the gameplay.

I don't see how the gameplay sucked... Honestly, it's the gameplay that does it. I've always hated when people bitched about the controls just because they can't adapt. I wouldn't even be a fan of this series if I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

Reactions: Hel

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I don't see how the gameplay sucked... Honestly, it's the gameplay that does it. I've always hated when people bitched about the controls just because they can't adapt. I wouldn't even be a fan of this series if I didn't enjoy the gameplay.
I personally don't hate OR dislike it. But to the masses and general populace, the gameplay is terrible. Gameplay just isn't important to me...It doesn't make a game good to me...Games are made to make people happy...Story and characters that I can relate to are what make me fall in love with a game.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I personally don't hate OR dislike it. But to the masses and general populace, the gameplay is terrible. Gameplay just isn't important to me...It doesn't make a game good to me...Games are made to make people happy...Story and characters that I can relate to are what make me fall in love with a game.

So are books and movies. That doesn't mean they can just give us anything as long as the characters are relatable and the story is good. Presentation is a huge factor and when it comes to video games, gameplay is important. Do you think anyone got into gaming because of their complex stories and compelling characters? Mario's still around so that says a lot.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So are books and movies. That doesn't mean they can just give us anything as long as the characters are relatable and the story is good. Presentation is a huge factor and when it comes to video games, gameplay is important. Do you think anyone got into gaming because of their complex stories and compelling characters? Mario's still around so that says a lot.
And gaming has evolved past that. And at the end of the day it's opinion. But I can probably name 100 games with great gameplay...After I look em up...The games that TRULY resonate with us...Not the ones we LIKE but the ones we LOVE are always gonna be due to the factors above.

Turo602

The King of Kings
And gaming has evolved past that. And at the end of the day it's opinion. But I can probably name 100 games with great gameplay...After I look em up...The games that TRULY resonate with us...Not the ones we LIKE but the ones we LOVE are always gonna be due to the factors above.

Gaming hasn't evolved passed anything. It expanded, became more sophisticated. Gameplay is still always first priority. I know for a fact that Mario resonates with many gamers, and it ain't for no story. It's been nearly 3 decades and the Mario franchise is still going strong. When's the last time you saw a game with ****ty gameplay but great story receive positive reviews? Almost never. But when you reverse that, you get games like Vanquish being praised despite its weak story and dull characters. Oh, and look at Sonic. Ever since he made the leap to 3D he's been having these big stories that have suddenly disappeared along with its cast in exchange for better gameplay. Games cannot exist without gameplay, it's that simple. You may hold story above all else, but no one in the industry thinks like that. Especially Nintendo, it's practically their philosophy.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium

I honestly, absolutely, seriously and totally disagree. I loved and still love running around, looking for items, solving puzzles and fighting a few zombies here and there while trying to find my way through scary locations. In fact, when I heard that the gameplay would change for RE4 and 5, I considered not buying them because I was afraid I wouldn't like them. Nostalgia also plays a part, sure, but nostalgia is something that arises years later and not the reason you start playing something.

When I started playing RE, I didn't even know there was a story, all I knew was that a woman in a short dress is trying to escape a city filled with zombies, and that's it. Having a story certainly makes the game better, but it doesn't make it good in the first place if everything else sucks. It's not what attracted me to this game, and that can't have been the case with you either, because let's be honest, the stories and characters of RE are hidden depths you only encounter after playing it for a while, and even then it doesn't go as deep as one would like it to.

Would you really prefer a game that totally sucks, but has a great story, over one that's fun, but not very deep? You probably would, because you say gameplay isn't important to you. Then why do you play at all? I just completely fail to understand that. Books and movies are filled with story and characters and also much cheaper, and if that's all you care about anyway...

Mr Sunshine

I also believe that graphics are somewhat irrelevant to a game as long as they don't interfere with the gameplay. In FPS for example, it is frustrating when you shoot and the bullets hit the wall which is clearly below your weapon (Star wars: Battlefront).

Because gameplay is the most important aspect of a game, to me at least. If someone values storyline and characters above all he should take a look on adventures. And I don't mean action adventures, but traditional point and click adventrues that involve puzzle solving, deeper plots and extensive conversations. Apparently they aren't as commercially successful nowdays.

I think the fact that there are so many game genres strengthens this belief of mine. I'm almost positive not the same people would like RE if it was a first person shooter or a strategy game.

Not that I don't appreciate a good story line, in fact I do more than graphics. But if I had to choose one, that would be gameplay.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Do you remember back in day when developers actually cared about the story and would put in as much content as they could? Only a few still do, but I can't say that about today's standards. Its all about who has the prettiest game and how much we can take out as DLC. Gaming has evolved a lot in the past decades.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Do you remember back in day when developers actually cared about the story and would put in as much content as they could? Only a few still do, but I can't say that about today's standards. Its all about who has the prettiest game and how much we can take out as DLC. Gaming has evolved a lot in the past decades.

I fail to see how. Plenty of games have a great amount of quality content. Also, what does the amount of content have to do with caring about the story? Are you referring to the campaign?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Have you guys PLAYED the recent Sonic Games? They haven't sacrificed ANYTHING for better gameplay. The Gameplay in Sonic Unleashed was TERRIBLE, but somehow, Chip made it fun...Sonic the Secret Rings was also flat our AWFUL gameplay wise, but was a fun spin on a classic fairy tale.

The games that are praised for gameplay are the games that have NO story. In 10 years, CoD will be a thing of the Past...Legend of Zelda will live on strong.

L

Lurker
Have you guys PLAYED the recent Sonic Games? They haven't sacrificed ANYTHING for better gameplay. The Gameplay in Sonic Unleashed was TERRIBLE, but somehow, Chip made it fun...Sonic the Secret Rings was also flat our AWFUL gameplay wise, but was a fun spin on a classic fairy tale.

The games that are praised for gameplay are the games that have NO story. In 10 years, CoD will be a thing of the Past...Legend of Zelda will live on strong.
Some people play a game for fun. Others, for the story. Some so they can see new worlds and find everything in them. Some are a combination of these and more aspects. Automatically generalizing every gamer into a single group isn't really the way to go in this situation. I have no issue with people who play Call of Duty or, what I am, Nintendo Fanboys. It matters with what you decide to play and what people enjoy.

MissDomino

Premium
Games are like a pizza :grin: The game play is your base, it doesn't add any "flavour", but everything falls apart without it. Without any topping (story, music or graphics etc) it would be plain and boring. A game needs solid game play, but also something in order for it to stand out from the rest. Whether it's an amazing story, kick ass soundtrack or breathtaking graphics.

Personally, I think all aspects of a game are as important as each other, but the focus usually depends on the genre. For example, racing games would need to put more focus on the graphics and an RPG would focus on the story.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
I fail to see how. Plenty of games have a great amount of quality content. Also, what does the amount of content have to do with caring about the story? Are you referring to the campaign?
Look at what EA did to Mass Effect 3. They ruined a ending and would later change it to be DLC. Not having the content that should in from the start outraged a lot of fans. Poor content ruined the story which would then turn into bad gameplay experiences for some.

Popo

Tbh, I love the original Resident Evil gameplay

I liked Sonic 4, and brought back good old Super Sonic xD

Top Bottom