• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) My idea of how to start the remake of 3

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
While playing the new remake of RE2 I realized that the start of the game has been altered. Instead of starting the game on the burning streets of central Raccoon City, we get to play a whole new section at a gas station before heading into the city. It added to the story and gameplay, serving as a great tutorial with a slow but tense build-up, instead of throwing you right into a burning street with hordes of zombies.

It got me thinking about the remake of the third game (which is obviously going to happen, it's just a matter of when). Resident Evil 3: Nemesis also starts kind of the same way, with Jill being thrown right into the action on the burning streets of Raccoon City.

For a modern game, that's not how I think the remake of RE3 should start. Here's my idea, and while you're reading it I'd like you to have the 2019 remake of RE2's graphics and gameplay in mind:

INTRO CUTSCENE
First, the intro cutscene will be a reimagined version of the classic RE3 intro showing the police and law enforcement collapsing at the hands of the zombies. But, instead of showing it from the police's perspective, we will see the action on the streets through a window inside an apartment. Whose apartment, you may ask? NO, not Jills, but in fact Dario Rosso's with his wife and daughter (in this version they are local residents). They will be in utter shock, hugging each other, and his daughter will be crying. While hearing the sounds of guns, police cars and zombies on the outside, we are then shown the Rosso's apartment door that's been barricaded with wooden planks and other furniture. They've done their best to keep themselves safe, but the door won't hold much longer. Zombies are trying to break in, and the family are hugging each other tighter and tighter. But just as the zombies are about to break in, closer gunshots are heard - the zombies are now dead. Shortly thereafter, two policemen enter and help the Rosso's out. However, the rescue doesn't go very smooth as more hordes of zombies rush to attack them once they're all in the apartment hallway.

The fate of the Rosso's is then left unanswered as the cutscene changes to that of another apartment a few blocks away. Now, we get to see Jill Valentine for the first time. She is sitting on her bed, holding a gun pointed against the ceiling (reminiscent of that classic photo still). Her outfit is the same as the original one in RE3, with some slight changes - she's now actually wearing her white sweater. In this version however, it's a white hoodie with a zipper. Also she's wearing black shorts instead of a skirt, for gameplay reasons when she's later thrown around by Nemesis to avoid "upskirting"... Anyway, now is the time when we'll hear her voice-over as the camera pans across her and the room. After her final words "This is my last escape" she'll then load her gun with a clicking sound and stand up - and then as a player you will be able to control her character.

FIRST LEVEL
So, yes, the first playable section of the game will actually be Jill's apartment! While exploring it, you'll hear sounds of zombies outside in the apartment hallway. Looking out through the windows will reveal burning streets, and additional smoke will indicate that Jills' apartment building is on fire as well (which will be reason why she has to leave). After picking up some useful items, you'll then breakout as you move away a huge cupboard blocking the door. This will activate a cutscene, and zombies will immediately attack you once you're outside in the hallway. The cutscene will end, and you'll have to shoot your way out of the apartment building. The lift however, is broken, and the staircase is completely blocked and on fire so you'll have to find another way down to the first floor. However since this is the first level in the game and therefore supposedly serving as a kind of tutorial, it will be quite straight-forward.

So, only one other apartment door in the hallway of the 5th floor that Jill lives on will be open, revealing a huge gaping hole in the living room leading to the 4th floor below. After jumping down, another cutscene will play with a very sentimental Jill realizing whose apartment it is. A friend of hers will be shown laying dead in the bedroom. Jill will close her eyes for a second and sniffle, but her moment of silence won't be long - suddenly a zombie will jump out of the wardrobe and attack her. Once back in control of Jill, after you kill the zombie (or run away), you can now run down the remaining stairs and escape the apartment building that's increasingly catching fire.

Once down on the first floor, another cutscene will play showing that the fire has spread to a few cars parked outside. They blow up and Jill takes a hit, her hoodie catching fire in the process. She then takes it off, stopping its fire by hitting it, and then wrapping its remains around her waist - now she looks almost exactly like her original RE3 self (the reason I had to make it up like this was because its a more logical explanation as to why Jill would run around half-naked). Back in control, Jill remarks that she can hear the sound of gunshots and screams, and decides to follow its source in hope of finding more survivors. You then make your way through some streets, running away from more zombies. Once you're around a specific block, a cutscene will play showing Jill running into Dario Rosso and his daughter. They are both still alive, kneeling on the ground crying. Upon reaching them, Jill sees what they're crying over: the ground reveals a couple of zombies, two cops and a woman in a white coat (Dario's wife) - all dead. A conversation will play out, and Jill tells them to get up and get out of here, since more zombies will be there any minute. She says she knows where they can seek shelter, but Dario is hysterical over the situation. He says he doesn't know whom to trust, since "the god damn cops just let my wife die!". As expected, zombies arrive and Dario finally uses his common sense and follows Jill. They make their escape to the abandoned warehouse.

AND AFTER THAT...
Well, I have some further ideas but I won't write them down for now, also you're welcome to come up with more suggestions! But as you can tell, in my version of this remake I'll be making Dario Rosso a much more fleshed out character that actually has a place in the game (Similar to how Marvin was fleshed out in the RE2 remake). Having his daughter alive and around would also add a more interesting aspect to the story. Also I'd like him to be a bit more likeable and less of an asshole to his family, making his eventual death more impactful.

Where would you like it to go from here? There are so many ways the R3make could surprise old veterans by having the first encounter with Nemesis be somewhere else rather than the front of RPD station. Also, would you prefer if Brad Vickers was kept alive a bit longer in this version, or should he go out the same tragic way as before?

There's also the possibility that a R3make could include a completely new campaign with Carlos Oliveira, and have his and Jill's scenarios tie in the same way as RE1 and RE2 did with Jill/Chris and Leon/Claire.

Feel free to discuss!

Last edited:

Ark2000

I like your ideas for opening of the game, specially the one about Jill's apartment. Hearing the zombies and all the chaos outside would make for a really good tension right before Jill goes out. It would also work in the part where she is infected, just the thought of being surrounded by zombies while being sick and locked inside some place sounds creepy. I remember that there was a interesting part in one of the comics based on the game where some zombies break in and are about to kill Jill while she is unconscious, when Nemesis shows up and kills them, but i don't see anything like that working in the game's story.

Something else which i think would have been interesting is this; During first part of the game there should be lot of fires, screams of survivors in the distance and gun fire etc, and then, after Jill gets infected and some time passes, next time she and Carlos go outside, there should be none or very little of any city sounds, rain, fires, and lights or anything like that, just to show that city is completely dead by this point. In the novelizations of the second and third game it's mentioned how the city stinks a lot due to all the zombies, so maybe they could somehow work that in, like maybe Jill and Carlos would comment on the smell.

I had some ideas for how would i open the game, but i know that it would probably never work, mostly because i know that many fans would rather see the destruction of Raccoon and police than just find the aftermath later; Instead of the first scene having decent amount of action like in original game or RE 2 remake, i would make it to be lot more subtle. Something like Jill waking up in apartment, some time after outbreak has already destroyed lot of the city, and entire time she was in there, hiding from the zombies and other monsters (it's a bad comparison, but think of something like first half of I Am Legend). By that point, there are almost no survivors, there are still lot of cars and buildings that are on fire, and she realizes that help is not coming so she has to escape on her own.

Mr.R

That's a very nice intro idea. I do think that, if a RE3 Remake happens (or when, like you said), they'll probably upgrade Jill's clothes to something more akin of common sense on a zombie apocalypse, which will probably means she'll be more covered (with her original costume being an extra or something. I don't think they would ignore such classic costume).

As for Brad, I think he needs to die on the same way. His death is there to show us Nemesis mission and how much of a threat he is, by killing a (slightly) stabilished character.

Jonipoon

Thanks for the feedback!
Now that you're mentioning it, I guess it does serve the storyline if Brad dies at the hands on Nemesis in the same way. It's a classic scene after all, and shouldn't be messed with (otherwise you might upset some fans).

Back to Dario's daughter which I think should be called Maria, it would be sweet to have Jill take care of her after her father dies, perhaps Dario does something as a self-sacrifice to protect her, and then when Jill returns to the warehouse she finds Maria all by herself with Dario dead. Although I'm not sure what to do with Dario's daughter after that, perhaps this should be part of a B storyline that you unlock after completing the game once.

Perhaps the theme of the game could be more about failure rather than escape. If Jill fails to protect Maria, it might add more levity to the story and give Jill something more to mourn over. Perhaps blame herself, and even in the end when Raccoon City is destroyed she still feels remorse.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'd love to see Jill's apartment! All the games she's starred in so far gave us so little personal information about her that I didn't even know what traits to give her sim when I created her in The Sims 4. I'm sure there's a piano somewhere, maybe even an old-fashioned phonograph playing classical music if that's what she into (judging by her perfect rendition of the Moonlight Sonata in RE1 and 5), and if she really has a dog as the picture on her desk in REmake 2 suggests, maybe they could do something with that as well.

I wouldn't want her to have to look after someone's child, though. Nothing against the idea of fleshing out Dario into a more likeable character, but if Jill ends up babysitting his daugther after his inevitable death, I fear it would turn out too similar to Claire looking after Sherry in RE2, and those two games already have enough story elements in common.

The original story should definitely be expanded. Some fans have wondered how Jill and Rebecca would get along, so maybe throw Rebecca into the mix and have her and Jill escape together. It wouldn't break the canon as far as I know, since we were never told when and how Rebecca got out of Raccoon City, there isn't even an epilogue file for her in the original game. Oh, and how about that T-virus vaccine Carlos cooks up for Jill, without having any prior experience with medicine that we know of? Rebecca could definitely help with that. And she's a former member of S.T.A.R.S., providing yet another target for Nemesis.

Jonipoon

@Hel, I like those ideas. I almost completely forgot about her piano skills in RE1, and it would be a nice touch (and great fanservice) to include a piano in her apartment. Perhaps the player can even have her interact with it, and have Jill do some funny remark like "Don't have time for this now". Also her apartment could be full of other musical stuff like an old-fashioned phonograph like you said, boxes full of LPs, a guitar, and perhaps even some modern stereo equipment. Maybe she did have a dog, but it died and she don't want to get a new one, and so the apartment is full of old dog photos. These sort of things can make us as players have a more personal connection to her than before.

Yes, I understand that it sounds too similar to Claire looking after Sherry in RE2. What if its a boy then? It wouldn't be a huge difference, but at least it's something.

The idea of adding Rebecca in would be interesting, even though I can't stand her character. Perhaps they could revamp her character a bit, otherwise I don't see her getting along with Jill. Rebecca is sweet and cutsey, while Jill is strong and hot. Maybe switch things around and have Rebecca's story take care of Dario's kid, while Jill stays around with Carlos. That could work.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
What you say about revamping Rebecca's personality is what I keep saying about Jill. Or rather, I keep saying they should finally give her a personality to begin with, and a remake of the game where she was at her best seems like the perfect opportunity. If you don't think Jill and Rebecca would get along, all the better! We've never had a campaign featuring two characters who try to survive together, but don't actually like each other. RE6 teased this idea a bit with Chris and Piers versus Jake, but not enough. I think some fun could be had watching these ladies argue about whether it's best to run from Nemesis or fight him head-on, whether Chris or Carlos is cuter, or which Sailor Soldier is the best, with Rebecca saying Sailor Mercury because she's sweet and smart like herself, and Jill saying Sailor Neptune because she's hot and strong and likes music...

... Okay, I got a little carried away there. Maybe we should reconsider the topics they would be arguing about. But having characters argue in general is a great way of showing off their personalities to the audience, especially in a game like RE that isn't about those personalities as much as about escaping bioterror. Add some casual dialogue here and there, have Jill comment on some places they pass by, sharing memories of what those places meant to her before the whole town went to Hell, just not too much or it might become annoying. I think that's the number one thing I'd like to see in a potential remake of RE3. I want them to make me like Jill.

(And no, it really doesn't matter if the child is a girl or a boy.)

Jonipoon

It would also be great to include a special "C scenario" where Nemesis falls in love with Jill and proposes to her, and together they have little Nemesis kids. Think of it as an extreme version of "Beauty and the Beast".

Obviously, I'm joking around.

Jonipoon

I have figured out a way to surprise veteran players when it comes to the first encounter with Nemesis.

So, everyone will expect Nemesis to pop up for the first time inside the gates of the RPD station grounds, right?

Well, in this remake, what if he pops up in the alleyway first, on Jill's way to the RPD.... And then Jill has to run back again, until a new cutscene activates with Nemesis firing the rocket launcher, and blasts open a hole in another building... Then Jill enters that building and starts climbing up some ladders, only to notice that Nemesis starts to climb after her. On the top of the building, while Nemesis is closing in, she sees no other way out - She has to jump across the roof to the opposite building. She sprints and takes the leap, and makes it... but barely. Nemesis stops for a moment, looks across to the other building where Jill is standing up, and then up and down as if he is calculating the risk of jumping for his heavy weight. Jill gasps as she watches him do this, and this is the moment where Jill realizes that Nemesis is not your ordinary tyrant - he's smart. Then, their eyes meet, and Jill is terrified. Nemesis gazes at Jill, and finally utters his famous line for the first time in the remake - Stars.... He then turns around and climbs down in order to find another way to get to Jill. Then, the cutscene ends, and Jill has to navigate across some buildings before she finds a safe place to climb down close to the RPD.

And then, at the RPD, you know the drill. :)

What do you think about that? I feel it would not only be a great way to surprise players, but also be a clever way of establishing Nemesis's personality and intelligence. By not only showing Nemesis using logic, but also showing Jill react to him doing so.

Jonipoon

I'm terrible at photo editing, but here goes.... This is my idea of how Jill's outfit would look in a remake.

Jill-remake.png

It's less sexualized while still staying true to the original. She's wearing shorts instead of a skirt, and now she's actually wearing her white sweater. Nevermind the tattoo.

Jonipoon

It's inevitable that they'll tweak it slightly to fit modern standards, just like with Leon and Claire in RE2 remake. That being said, her classic costume will undoubtedly be there as an unlockable, rest assured.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's inevitable that they'll tweak it slightly to fit modern standards, just like with Leon and Claire in RE2 remake. That being said, her classic costume will undoubtedly be there as an unlockable, rest assured.

Not guaranteed. If you look at some Beta footage, it looks like the only reason we got those "classic" costumes in RE2 is because that's what they originally looked like in the game. That's why Claire looks inaccurate despite being "classic."

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ok, I'll put it this way. Her outfit isn't overly sexualized. Never was. So there's no need to change it to make it more conservative. You ever played any fighting games? THAT'S overly sexualized. A Tube Top and skirt isn't sexualized. Maybe in the 90's when the game came out, but not by todays standards. So basically, if they change it, it would be to appease people who, let's be honest, probably aren't the core audience anyway. Ya know..the group of people who would just be b*tching for the sake of b*tching lol.

Mr.R

About Jill's outfit...I think it's a little bit of fanservice. Not as much as fighting games, as mentioned, but it is. Plus, it's a new trending to be more careful with these things, just look at MK11.
That being said, I always thought that Jill's choice of clothing was nonsensical for someone who knew what was going on and had experience with zombies. Even if the temperatures were high in Raccoon City, it wouldn't kill her to put some jeans or some more clothing. Even if that couldn't protect you from zombie bites 100%, it still can help prevent some cuts or light bruises that she knew she would get trying to run away. Again, her clothes are iconic and it's been a part of the lore for a while, but I welcome that change, if that's the case. Even the characters at Outbreak had a more sensible choice of clothing than Jill by the devs. (Except by maybe Cindy, but then again, she was working. Jill waited for a few days before starting her escape. She had some time to plan.)

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The original outfit was 100% fanservice and nothing else. Heatwave or not, no one walks around like that during a zombie apocalypse, especially with the shoulders (the part of the body that walking zombies go for first) completely exposed and unprotected.

When I first played the game, knowing nothing about Jill or the story leading up to RE3, I saw a woman being flung out of a department store by an explosion, and I figured she was just in the middle of a shopping tour when the outbreak unexpectedly occurred. I thought nothing of it and just enjoyed slaughtering zombies in a neat dress that never gets dirty - because how often do you get to do that in real life?

Nowadays I see things differently, knowing that Jill is a former cop experienced with this kind of situation and had time to plan her escape. I'm not against the idea of her wearing skirts and dresses and revealing tops in her free time (she's a woman after all, and it's a common misconception that badass women have to behave and dress like men at all times, or at all), but during a zombie outbreak, she should know better.

I just hope that when they redesign her outfit (because I don't think it's an "if"), they don't put her in a leather jacket, because that's Claire's thing, and Jill already stole her hairstyle in later games. (That shouldn't have come as a surprise either, the novelizations of the games make it clear that she used to be a thief after all. :razz: )

Jonipoon

Ok, I'll put it this way. Her outfit isn't overly sexualized. Never was. So there's no need to change it to make it more conservative. You ever played any fighting games? THAT'S overly sexualized. A Tube Top and skirt isn't sexualized. Maybe in the 90's when the game came out, but not by todays standards. So basically, if they change it, it would be to appease people who, let's be honest, probably aren't the core audience anyway. Ya know..the group of people who would just be b*tching for the sake of b*tching lol.
Lol, I'm not a SJW. I despise those. I just genuinely think a slight revamp would look better in a game with today's more realistic graphics.
Speaking of those, SJW's would probably want Jill to wear long baggy pants anyway.

Top Bottom